• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

squicken

Even if the stuff with Frank and his wife and Velcoro pay off, it's just not sensible to have wasted 5 episodes to get there. Every time Frank was on camera tonight it killed the momentum every other scene did a good job of building.

I still think it's the writing as much as the acting that is the problem

We might be talking about two different things. I thought you were referring to not finding the episode in TD's HBO Go season page, I was saying that the episode takes a while to appear under True Detective but that it appears in the 'home' tab of HBO Go alongside all recent episodes.

No, I'm talking about the roku app.

like blue balls.. in my heart

this weeks gem

so i guess "the party" is gonna be like an eyes wide shut orgy sequence that was talked about huh

Sean

Banned
Best episode of the season, the mini time jump/reset did this show some good. Most of the same issues are still there, but the pacing was at least good enough this time to not make them as noticeable.

But we're more than halfway into the season and I just don't find the murder mystery compelling at all. Everything we know about Caspere makes him sound like a sleazeball without any redeeming qualities... so good riddance? And Caspere's death fucked over a scumbag gangster... again, sounds good to me? Perhaps I missed something, but I'm not sure why exactly we're supposed to care about this case.

The Velcoro vs Frank story seems like it could be interesting, that reveal should've happened a lot earlier.

I absolutely love the opening credits.

And we immediately open back up to the colossally colossal fuck up and TIME SKIP!

VINCI MASSACRE! MASUKA IS RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR!

Nooooooo, Ray's mustache was another casualty of the Vinci massacre!

And now he's a security guard. Also being evicted. Life continues to suck.

Wait, the fuck happened to his lip?

Lol, Antigone is in therapy...?

Oh, sexual harassment training. That blows.

Hahahaha, "I just really like big dicks."

And now Woody is dealing with this actor asshole. She is just a horrible person.

Detective Woodrough, lol. I hope he gets one over on this chick.

Ooooh, that's a spooky Mexican cowboy.

It's happening

49680_1202074613202_full.jpg

"Blue balls, in my heart."

Sheer poetry.

Why on earth is Woody still dealing with this crazy ass mom of his.

And of course she was a showgirl and racist. Wow, she had extremely high expectations for him.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This episode had much more momentum, but the dialogue is really fucking awful. The formula the show goes for is also getting pretty old - everyone just keeps going for the tortured constipation face while other people tell them what's wrong with them, sad girl sings a song in the bar, etc. This episode had a lot more going on than the last couple, but it's still not compelling, and I don't think this season will ever be. I did like Farrell's transformation though. Would have been far more striking if I gave a shit about any of these characters. :p
Agreed.

What else can I add?

Velcoro should have died on the second episode.

Then the other guy no one cares about.

Then the girl would have solved the case.

Then she would have been at the graves of the others and she would say, "Dead dicks."

His mom stole 20 Gs from him.

Goddamn. And he got his scars from a theft in Afghanistan. Damn.

Wow, this got hardcore family drama. Jesus. Kitsch fucking sold this scene, damn. First time his whole weirdly restless thing just snapped to attention in the right way.

-MD-

This might've been my favorite episode, the show is finally starting to click for me.

Shame it took 5 episodes to get there.

Oh shit is that the creepy plastic surgery fuck?

This music as Ray follows them around is fantastic.

Frank's wife's name is Mia? Love that she's calling him out on his gangster shit. He continues to be a shitty husband. Oh truth bombs. Three operations...? What kind of operations? This lady is awesome though.

Oh, awkward cold family dinner. Lol, mom in law gonna stay, ha. New mother figure?

Frank is gonna screw this up, I guarantee it.

Nice psycho analyzing there, Mia.

AWWWWWWW YEAH. LERA LYNN IS BACK AS THR SADDEST GIRL IN THE WORLD WITH THE TRAILER SONG!

AND ANTIGONE IS IN THE BAR. LOVING THIS.

Loving this fire in Antigone's eyes. McAdams is killing it.

Lol, Woody was a god-warrior. These three should set up a PI firm. Seriously, this is a great bar scene.

Come on, time to get the band back together, Ray!

"I'M FUCKING COMING! SHUT THE FUCK UP!" was VV channeling some Old School shit lol Just seemed so out of place.

Really good episode though. Just ramped everything up in a hurry but it didn't feel rushed to me. Hopefully there is a good payoff with these last 3 episodes.

Bebpo

Banned
Time jump was a terrible decision for a show already getting a ton of flak for taking forever and going nowhere for at least the last 2 episodes. Time jump caused this to basically be "episode 1 - redeux" where they have to re-introduce all the characters and set up all the plot lines again. So it took a show that was going nowhere and set it back to square two.

...and then it finally started moving forward in the last 15 minutes, which were solid. But it just feels like they wasted 40 minutes and we got a 15 minute episode this week. Maybe next week things will be moving from the start? But then that's what we think every week and we're always disappointed when it goes nowhere for most of the ep.

Wooooo,band's back together! Investigation time!

Oh fuck, Ray killed the wrong guy! I know some people called it, but damn.

Frank played him. Gonna be hell to pay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Have they been changing the arrangement of the Cohen song every week?

Nooooooo, I wanted to see the outcome of that conversation!

Lol, shut the fuck up! I'm fucking coming!

That's a fucking torture cabin. In the Woods. Creepy.

What a great episode. Fucking loved that hour.

Burt

If they cut out a lot of Frank's subplots and Woodrough's useless character entirely, this season would have had the necessary time to properly develop the story and it's decent characters.

This was a good episode though, it moved the story along more than any of the episodes really.... I totally expected Frank to get shot at the end. Wish he did.

I think that Frank's stuff could all be okay if it was a little less disjointed. All his subplots outside of the kid are really the same thread, just spread out over what feels like half a dozen different anecdotes. I think a lot of the issues there would be easily fixed simply by making them contiguous, rather than having him dealing with a different person every scene.

Woodrough's going to pay off just fine eventually I'm sure, but yeah, he's a weak link in the chain at this point. I do believe that it's perfectly okay to have a character simply for the sake of the character itself and telling a story through characterization rather than plot progression (*cough Caliban cough Penny Dreadful cough cough*), but Woodrough hasn't earned that yet, in spite of some interesting subplots revolving around him.

It was a good episode overall, but I still don't think the first half of the season was put together well enough to get myself pumped for the post-shit-goes-down wrap up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really good episode.

The plot finally seems to be moving along.

[edit]

Not a lot of awful Frank lines, too.

duckroll

A lot of people here and in most tv show threads don't do that.

It's one thing to post while it's airing because everyone else is watching it at the same time at that point. But if you're not going to watch it "live", then posting 10 times while watching an episode is just annoying spam.

jond76

Banned
Glad VV got to through some quips out this episode: Cisco Kid, Michaelangelo.

Also glad to see the investigation coming together off the books.

Whenever Velcoro stresses about his kid being taken away I'm instantly on his side. He plays that panic/pain perfectly.

I'm ready, True detective, weird me out!

Imm0rt4l

Smh @ this taking 5 episodes to get decent. And by decent, I mean come to conclusions viewers had already hypothesized episodes ago.
Solid episode, interesting how things are coming together.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Still don't know the names of most of the characters but at least the plot is finally picking up. Hard to remember who they are talking about a lot of the time.

So
misuka
is dirty?

My Vince Vaughn opinion has officially gone from 'wait and see' to 'I'm done waiting, this guy can't act'.

Not that the writing or partner does him any favors, he's wooden and awkward at nearly every aspect of the show.

Fathom

Banned
My Vince Vaughn opinion has officially gone from 'wait and see' to 'I'm done waiting, this guy can't act'.

Not that the writing or partner does him any favors, he's wooden and awkward at nearly every aspect of the show.

He's struggling with the dialogue. They should have cast someone else.

Fathom

Banned
That was a pretty good episode but Frank's plot is painful at this point and Farrell's wife is a horrible actress. The scene between Frank and his redhead wife in the club was really awkward, they were both having such a hard time with Pizzolatto's dialogue. Nothing about it felt real.

i really enjoyed all the non vince vaughn bits in this episode. i think if the rest of the season was like this i would have been a lot more positive about it.

it's pretty damn clear this is on colin farrell's back. dude is consistently the most interesting thing about each episode, kitsch and mcadam's aint bad either but it's all him tbh. love that death stare he gave at the end lol

can't believe so many people doubted him. even with pizzolato's disappointing scripts he's been doing entertaining work with it.

udiie

yeah that was an excellent episode, lots of pieces falling into place.
still though, shouldnt have taken 5 episodes, as well as franks wife's acting still bugs the shit out of me
ewe first post of the new page

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This thread is dead as hell, a new episode came out and half of the post since then are by NotTheGuyYouKill. A lot of people must have jumped ship.

That was a pretty good episode but Frank's plot is painful at this point and Farrell's wife is a horrible actress. The scene between Frank and his redhead wife in the club was really awkward, they were both having such a hard time with Pizzolatto's dialogue. Nothing about it felt real.

Abigail Spencer is great.

I don't know, if that was what people consider the show being good or decent, I think it's already lost me. The dialogue is just not working for any character or actor IMO. It's trying to do some hybrid of pulpy noir and ominous one liners with oddly timed verbosity, but it's run through a filter where everything which should be a witty little remark or dramatic line is coming through the speakers like an avalanche of cringe. The cadence in the writing sounds completely off, like scripts written by someone who's never heard/seen humans interact before but tried to create stylized dialogue anyway.

Vince Vaughn in particular has had to mumble out some ridiculous stuff in these 5 episodes. I mean: "It stymies my retribution. It's like, uh........blue balls....in your heart." Jesus Christ. It's like bizarro Justified where none of the beautiful rhythm or masterful control of one liners and "words of the day" transferred. I was wrong, Max Payne couldn't even make some of this stuff work.

But this post is crazy negative so I'll touch on the one part of that episode that did work for me: Velcoro tailing that guy with the thumping low end soundtrack droning in the background where nobody talked and Colin Farrell did his furrowed brow investigative thing.

Top Bottom