• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Oscar

I don't understand why there is a case going on with Velcoro being the father or not. If the child's birth certificate has his name, then no judge can change that. Only thing that is possible here is that he could be declared unfit to do all duties as father because of his habits. But that's about it.

I figured that's what the show has been showing us. His babymama chewing him out for being a bad dad (bully incident), trying to pay him $10k to sign his parental rights over, and now they're going the expensive court route.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I figured that's what the show has been showing us. His babymama chewing him out for being a bad dad (bully incident), trying to pay him $10k to sign his parental rights over, and now they're going the expensive court route.

But what about that paternity test? Why would a judge even care about that? It doesn't really matter if he is the biological father or not.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
These Frank and wife scenes are killing me. I was hoping Velcoro was going to bust in and kill them both at the end to save me. So boring.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
These Frank and wife scenes are killing me. I was hoping Velcoro was going to bust in and kill them both at the end to save me. So boring.

Yeah these scenes better have a payoff in the end. Frickin boring and takes the whole momentum of the show down.

illadelph

probably the best episode so far. the cinematography was good, music was good, and the acting was good. I thought VV was pretty great this episode

maybe Pizza dude had a plan for the beginning and end, but it wasn't enough to fill 8 hours of television

I'm drunk so whatever

Oscar

But what about that paternity test? Why would a judge even care about that? It doesn't really matter if he is the biological father or not.
I don't know about the laws regarding that paternity test, but it made sense to me. She doesn't think he's the biological father, so she's going to court to get it sorted out.

Good episode. Had a lot of things that the others didn't--first and foremost being clarity, clearly defined objectives concerning the detective work with payoffs you can see coming.

Looking forward to seeing what shit Frank pulls out of his ass next episode because I don't see any kind of admission coming.

Mimosa97

probably the best episode so far. the cinematography was good, music was good, and the acting was good. I thought VV was pretty great this episode

maybe Pizza dude had a plan for the beginning and end, but it wasn't enough to fill 8 hours of television

I'm drunk so whatever

Who the fuck is Pizza dude ?

Catdaddy

They could have told ep 1-5 in only 2 episodes and be much more compelling. But easily the best so far.

IF they do season 3 will watch after the fact and then at 2x speed.

Draconian

Yeah, this was easily the best episode of this season so far. It actually felt like it was focused on the overarching story of the show rather than featuring a lot of scenes that went nowhere and hardly anyone cares about. Looking forward to seeing if they can keep it up.

Definitely the best episode so far. Actually makes me want to go back to see if colin farrels character ever brings up the paternity test thing to Vince Vaughan's character in their bar meetings, to see franks reaction... Like "oh shit I hope not" face.

I liked this episode a lot but it does strike me as a huge risk that Frank would maintain a relationship with the cop that he conned into doing his dirty work for a decade earlier, and also not clean up the guy who actually raped his wife.

Apt101

I like how Velcoro goes sober once he's back in a real life of crime. It's like now he knows he has to stay sharp. Before, as a cop, he pretty much got away with anything so he was able to spiral out of control.

Edit:
And the moment Velcoro joins the cops again he starts to spiral again. Hah.

squicken

First time all season I am looking forward to next week's episode. Hopefully like the first season of Spartacus, the back half makes up for an awful first half

Better episode, but still not all that good IMO. I can't watch another scene of Frank and his wife droning on and on. Some of the writing continues to be cringeworthy

Better episode, but still not all that good IMO. I can't watch another scene of Frank and his wife droning on and on. Some of the writing continues to be cringeworthy

Yeah, I was still bored to tears watching it. Not "awesome" by any measure.

I don't understand why there is a case going on with Velcoro being the father or not. If the child's birth certificate has his name, then no judge can change that he is the legal father. Only thing that is possible here is that he could be declared unfit to do all duties as father because of his habits. But that's about it.

I don't know family law, but in the first or second episode Ani talks about someone filing Articles of Incorporation for an LLC. Hell no, it is called Articles of Organization when it's an LLC. Oh Pizza man...

Episode was boring as hell. The dialogue also seems to be getting worse even if the overall plot is getting better. And once again I still don't know what's the point of kitsch character.

TTG

I don't know what value last episode's shootout served besides shock factor, but I liked that the time skip was just short enough to move forward events in the characters' personal lives and no longer. Also liked that the continuation of their investigation is backed by authority almost right away, good that they didn't go back to that well.

Besides that, it was a good episode. There wasn't a rhythm to it, scene to scene breaks often seemed like flipping channels. I suppose a good director/editor would tie scenes with plot or thematically, that's why Semyon's marital issues looked so out of place, they're not connected to anything.

it was better than the last 2 episodes but that's not saying much. the problem is the show has been so fucking boring and pointless to this point that they have to really do something incredible just to get back to even. its like if you're down by 30 points at halftime you can't just play even with your opponent in the 2nd half to win

Burt

The real shame of this season is that there's definitely a great story in it, it just didn't get cooked long enough. I hope the comparisons between the two seasons are enough to persuade HBO to give Pizzolatto the time (and director) he needs to give the show the polish it deserves.

Partition

Banned
The real shame of this season is that there's definitely a great story in it, it just didn't get cooked long enough. I hope the comparisons between the two seasons are enough to persuade HBO to give Pizzolatto the time (and director) he needs to give the show the polish it deserves.

If they cut out a lot of Frank's subplots and Woodrough's useless character entirely, this season would have had the necessary time to properly develop the story and it's decent characters.

This was a good episode though, it moved the story along more than any of the episodes really.... I totally expected Frank to get shot at the end. Wish he did.

What? It's been up around this time every week.
We might be talking about two different things. I thought you were referring to not finding the episode in TD's HBO Go season page, I was saying that the episode takes a while to appear under True Detective but that it appears in the 'home' tab of HBO Go alongside all recent episodes.

Really liked the dialogue in this episode and some plot threads are actually interesting, I really don't care about Frank's plot at all beyond giving Velcoro the wrong man.

Really liked the dialogue in this episode and some plot threads are actually interesting, I really don't care about Frank's plot at all beyond giving Velcoro the wrong man.

Yeah, that finally it gave me at least a little bit of interest in his character. That episode was so good.

Top Bottom