• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
At this point I don't even see the point of Paul being a character. He doesn't really directly add anything to the story.

It's kind of crazy how much I think about the show though. I don't hate this season I think it just annoys me that it could be so much better. I wonder if it's the lack of Fukanaga directing?

The season would have been much better if it was just Ani and Ray, Paul hasn't had a single good scene so far.

Fjordson

At this point I don't even see the point of Paul being a character. He doesn't really directly add anything to the story.

It's kind of crazy how much I think about the show though. I don't hate this season I think it just annoys me that it could be so much better. I wonder if it's the lack of Fukanaga directing?
I think I agree.

I actually like Taylor Kitsch, but I'm just not sure the show needed him. Even Vince feels unnecessary at times. I think Ani and Ray only would have worked a little better.

Agree with your second point also lol, I'm definitely enjoying this season. But it's been letdown after S1. I really think the expanded scope with both sides of the law and four characters hurt it and Fukunaga is certainly missed.

duckroll

Miguel Sapochnik is directing this week's episode. He directed episodes 7 and 8 of the latest season of Game of Thrones, and will be directing the final two episodes of the next season of Game of Thrones. Episode 8 was the very well received episode Hardhome. Hoping for the best. :p

Deku Tree

So which remaining episode is going to have the "eyes wide shut" style sex party scene? Anyone else think it's coming? Seems like they've been talking about these parties so much that it's bound to happen.

Apt101

That Ray's wife would think that he just lied about killing the dude is so weird to me. Like she said herself, it freaking ruined him. Why would that lie drive him into alcoholism? That he probably took care of the wrong guy isn't too hard to think of yourself.

Yea that conversation seemed preposterous to me. Some characters in this show don't think like actual human beings at all. The writing is so far below season one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So which remaining episode is going to have the "eyes wide shut" style sex party scene? Anyone else think it's coming? Seems like they've been talking about these parties so much that it's bound to happen.

I'm thinking this upcoming episode will be it. McAdams was on Fallon earlier this week and they showed a clip from the show. It was Ani practicing her knife skills while her sister explained to how to act and what type of people are at these parties.

Apt101

I'm thinking this upcoming episode will be it. McAdams was on Fallon earlier this week and they showed a clip from the show. It was Ani practicing her knife skills while her sister explained to how to act and what type of people are at these parties.

I bet these parties are held by a group of serial killers. They're not there for the sex, but rather the sexual gratification they get by murdering the women.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Pizzaman's idea of a TV show is to have the majority of episodes be about things irrelevant to the show, and then have 2 episodes where he starts the actual story the season was supposed to be about. Oh you want an actual story about detective work? Here's a story about a man talking in unrealistic fashion about stains on a fucking wall, because that is clever. that is mature television making.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pizzaman's idea of a TV show is to have the majority of episodes be about things irrelevant to the show, and then have 2 episodes where he starts the actual story the season was supposed to be about. Oh you want an actual story about detective work? Here's a story about a man talking in unrealistic fashion about stains on a fucking wall, because that is clever. that is mature television making.

The gangster stuff just doesn't work. At all. Not even going to blame Vince, I just don't think the material is there to make it compelling...so far. Like I would be okay with the character still being in the story, but having a primary focus? I don't get it.

The whole setup just doesn't work for me. He wants to be legit. I get it. He is leaning on people for money, I get that. But for a guy who lost millions and is supposed to be fighting for his future, I'm not getting that desperation. Smaller house. Can't fuck his wife. Okay. Dude should be acting like a rabid dog at this point to get back where he needs to be. So far he just comes off mildly threatening. He lingers too long.

Trim that fat, give Ani and Velcoro more scenes and we got us some premium television.

bomma_man

Focusing on character development isn't the problem, it's the mediocre to terrible execution that's the problem. Mad Men still manages to be great with minimal plot.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You know, Ray, my life is like someone just activated the warp drive and I'm just trying to navigate through the blur.

Dennis

Banned
Wishlist for Season 3

1) Bring back Cary Fukunaga

2) Bring back Cthulhu

3) Bring back a stronger sense of place

4) Two main characters - not four under-developed ones

5) Don't rush it. Looks like Pizzaman needs more time to polish his scripts.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Wishlist for Season 3
2) Bring back Cthulhu

please? that lovcraftian undercurrent was so...intriguing I guess is the word? it didn't really go anywhere supernatural but it made their case seem so creepily sinister and really made the show stand out. this season is just a bad procedural at this point.

Draconian

please? that lovcraftian undercurrent was so...intriguing I guess is the word? it didn't really go anywhere supernatural but it made their case seem so creepily sinister and really made the show stand out. this season is just a bad procedural at this point.

Except that it's not a procedural...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
eh what can I say, I agree with all the criticism, expecially NeoGiff's. What a bluff this show has been, I was already keeping my expectations in check for this season but it's just a boring, boring ride

Deku Tree

Wishlist for Season 3

1) Bring back Cary Fukunaga

2) Bring back Cthulhu

3) Bring back a stronger sense of place

4) Two main characters - not four under-developed ones

5) Fire Pizzaman. Replace him with a team. Copying poorly from a series of popular novels was the last straw.

FTFY

I've got a bad feeling Ani's sister is gonna get killed in one of these blood orgy thingies. Feels heavy handed enough for this season (Ani complaining about her sister's life choices throughout the series, only to send her sister off to die).

kaskade

I wonder if we are actually going to see ani use those knives. We had a tease in episode 4. I feel like they need to be unleashed.

Oscar

Haters gonna hate, i'm enjoying this season.

You babies crying about "Pizzaman" are here every week like clockwork, so the show must be doing something right.

Exentryk

I enjoyed season 1. But after watching 3 episodes of season 2, it's just not captivating me. Don't know if I'll bother watching the rest.

Haters gonna hate, i'm enjoying this season.

You babies crying about "Pizzaman" are here every week like clockwork, so the show must be doing something right.

Pretty sure it's mostly morbid curiosity and the unintentional hilarity of Frank Semyon that's keeping people coming back.

mujun

I'm currently rewatching season 1. Night and day difference if you ask me. Acting, look, dialog, story, etc. Pretty much across the board. Not once have I found season 1 cheezy, hammy, overacted or anything along those lines.

Sean

Banned
I'm currently rewatching season 1. Night and day difference if you ask me. Acting, look, dialog, story, etc. Pretty much across the board. Not once have I found season 1 cheezy, hammy, overacted or anything along those lines.

I did the same last week and agree 100%. Even when there was silly lines of dialog, McConaughey sold the shit out of it.

Top Bottom