• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

jonezer4

Which wouldn't be so bad if this was a new writer or on like network TV.

Everyone keeps conveying this sentiment, I'd argue it's the complete opposite.

If this was just some random new show with no shadow, no past, I think people would have immediately discarded it (and rightfully so) as trite, stereotypical, melodrama.

It's only because it's "TRUE DETECTIVE" that people are holding on, giving it the benefit of the doubt, and waiting for it to get better.

Everyone keeps conveying this op sentiment, I'd argue it's the complete opposite.

If this was just some random new show with no shadow, no past, I think people would have immediately discarded it (and rightfully so) as trite, stereotypical, melodrama.

It's only because it's "TRUE DETECTIVE" that people are holding on, giving it the benefit of the doubt, and waiting for it to get better.

Yup. Low Winter Sun 2: The Furrowing.

blackflag

Yes I think this is exactly the case.

rtcn63

Even with Vaughn, McAdams, and Farrell as the leads? I dunno. People would still watch as far as they have or near it, though with lower expectations. It would basically be generic ratings-bait targeted towards a less critical audience.

It's gotten pretty mediocre/average reviews, from what I can tell. Latest episode got a C from AV Club, for example.

I think it just doesn't live up to season 1. Had it been an original show, the critics would have been a lot better. But it suffers from the comparison.

I like it a lot. Farrell is amazing. I don't particularly like the guy, but he's way better than In Bruges, if possible.

Ashok

Banned
You really think Marty's family issues were more interesting than the mystery of who the Yellow King was and why if they "caught" the serial killer 15 years ago murders are still happening?

Can't say that I agree with that.
Same. The Yellow King mystery and the conspiracy with the cult was the /only/ reason I bothered to watch Season 1. I found Marty's family issues about as interesting as watching paint dry. Needless to say, I found TD Season 1's ending beyond mediocre, and it pretty much soured me on the entire series.

Hesemonni

Banned
What I liked about True Detective was the sense of mystique and sort of ...melancholic dread. I guess there's none of that in S2?

SMattera

Same. The Yellow King mystery and the conspiracy with the cult was the /only/ reason I bothered to watch Season 1. I found Marty's family issues about as interesting as watching paint dry. Needless to say, I found TD Season 1's ending beyond mediocre, and it pretty much soured me on the entire series.

Sort of like buying Playboy for the articles.

kirblar

I think it just doesn't live up to season 1. Had it been an original show, the critics would have been a lot better. But it suffers from the comparison.

I like it a lot. Farrell is amazing. I don't particularly like the guy, but he's way better than In Bruges, if possible.
If this were an original show people would have tuned out by now.

Even with Vaughn, McAdams, and Farrell as the leads? I dunno. People would still watch as far as they have or near it, though with lower expectations. It would basically be generic ratings-bait targeted towards a less critical audience.

If it wasn't True Detective on "It's not TV it's worse HBO" they wouldn't have been able to cast those actors.

HBO will only air three scripted dramas this year: Game of Thrones season 5 (terrible), this (lol), and The Leftovers (worse than ebola). People need to realize that HBO no longer has the best dramas. At one point they had them, but they've fallen off hard.

I'm betting no one is going to be lining up to star in True Detective season three.

SMattera

If it wasn't True Detective on "It's not TV it's worse HBO" they wouldn't have been able to cast those actors.

HBO will only air three scripted dramas this year: Game of Thrones season 5 (terrible), this (lol), and The Leftovers (worse than ebola). People need to realize that HBO no longer has the best dramas. At one point they had them, but they've fallen off hard.

I'm betting no one is going to be lining up to star in True Detective season three.

Ted Sarandos? Is that you?

You're forgetting Westworld. But which network has better dramas?

Ted Sarandos? Is that you?

You're forgetting Westworld. But which network has better dramas?

I'm not forgetting Westworld. It's not airing this year and whether or not it's any good remains to be seen.

As for networks with better dramas than HBO in 2015: Showtime, Sundance, AMC, FX, the CW, NBC for six more weeks, USA, Netflix, Starz, Cinemax.

Jarmel

Banned
Farrell is putting in quality but that's to be expected, he always was a good actor.

That staredown at the end of the episode highlights how vast the gap between him and Vaughn is.

rtcn63

Who knows if they would? We've seen film actors turn to television before, particularly those who aren't as high in demand as they used to be. What if it was just one of them, would people still have tuned in if it was on say, ABC? I'm guessing yeah. What if they got Michael Caine, and it was a comedy show about talking llamas? Don't get bogged down by the what-ifs.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I try to be as positive as I can be about this season, but this is 100% accurate. For me, at least. I dropped Low Winter Sun like a bad habit. If season 1 of True Detective didn't exist, I don't think I would still be on board with this one 5 episodes in.

People watched the production of season 2 like hawk, how many threads and new stories did we read about casting rumors? It had as much buzz as you could ask for. I know I'm just holding on because I'm hoping it reaches those season 1 heights.

See, I don't really think this is the case. The comparison certainly doesn't help, but the show wouldn't be any more compelling for me if S1 hadn't existed. Grantland put it well:

Before this episode aired, I read an incredible piece in the New York Times about the essentially lawless state of the modern sea. It tells the story of a ship called the Dona Liberta, which has left a wake of shattered lives, death, and oil spills as it passes from port to port, sailing under whatever flag is up for sale at the time. After navigating what must have been a veritable ocean of paperwork, clues, and sources, writer Ian Urbina shines a light on a shadowy Greek shipping magnate named George Kallimasias. He is a man described as a myth — “this guy is smoke,” says an engine parts dealer at one point in the story — a real-life Yellow King. And from this character, Urbina pieces together a conspiracy fueled by greed and inhumanity and facilitated by bureaucratic negligence.

The web of holding companies and money; the apathetic, complicit, or handcuffed law-enforcement agencies and bodies of government; and the powerful men who escape any kind of justice — Urbina’s story has all the makings of a True Detective season. Now, the last thing anyone needs is a Nic Pizzolatto character with an ocean to stare at. Just the site of a wilting avocado tree will send these cats into a soliloquy of Scrabble words and regret. But I bring up the Urbina story for a couple of reasons.

I feel like I now have a better grasp of maritime law than of whatever is going on between Jacob McCandless, various members of the Chessani family, Dr. Pitlor, Osip the Russian, the angel of death who strolled into Frank’s bar,1 the “foreign interests” trying to muscle in on the Vinci poker action,2 the bird-mask killer who pumped Ray Velcoro full of empty shells, the late-and-flatulent Detective Dixon, and a state senator. We are trying to figure out what happened to a set of diamonds stolen from police evidence, how they are related to a series of “hooker parties,” what blackmail material taken at those parties Ben Caspere might have stored on some hard drives (before he had his crotch blown off), and how it all relates to the disappearance of a girl named Vera.

One of my core issues, which I had trouble articulating earlier:

Episode 5 is called “Other Lives,” and the action picks up 66 days after the Vinci massacre. “It’s never too late to start all over again,” says Ani, standing with Ray, Paul, and a suddenly Harvey Dent–sounding Katherine Davis (played by The Wire’s Michael Hyatt). That may be the case, but five episodes into an eight-episode run, these are the same people with the same problems. Ani, now watching over an evidence locker, is only sincere about how little she thinks of everyone and everything around her — especially, but not limited to, the sexual harassment seminars she is forced to endure. Paul is trapped in a life he doesn’t really want, with a mother who never really wanted him, in a suit and job that don’t fit. Ray … shaved and bought another Charger. He has moved from Vinci police to “consultation” — which basically amounts to collections for Frank — but is still hung up on the disputed custody and paternity of who he believes is his son.

Episode 5 is here and it feels like we don't really know any more about these characters. Stuff has happened to them but I don't feel like I know them any better, except that Woodrugh is really cool under fire.

Applebite

do people expect Colin Farrell to just beat everyone up the first time he meets them? this isn't 24

the show definitely has problems but complaining that they're not solving it quick enough is dumb.
You're misunderstanding. It's not that we need tons of info all the time, it would just be better to have the plot progress at a more even pace instead of having it take sudden jumps inbetween long, boring segments of characters that are dull and poorly acted / directed.

BizzyBum

I liked the last episode.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little hype when Velcoro found out the rapist was alive and he ended up killing the wrong dude. Farrell was great in that scene and has been killing it this season. Velcoro is pretty much the main reason I'm watching the show.

Solo

This season is a trainwreck across almost every regard. Even still I find myself engaged and curious to see where the hell it ends up.

Serpico99

This season is a trainwreck across almost every regard. Even still I find myself engaged and curious to see where the hell it ends up.

Yeah and I hope he learns from his mistakes and it helps the 3rd season. I think he said last year that the 3rd would probably be the last one.

Yeah and I hope he learns from his mistakes and it helps the 3rd season. I think he said last year that the 3rd would probably be the last one.

To be fair, I think the only 'mistake' between last season and this season is the amount of time Pizzaman has been afforded to write and polish the material.

The first season was the result of years and years worth of work.

The second season was pumped out in less than a year.

As a writer, the idea of having to write 8 hours worth of material in that timeframe gives me heart palpitations.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Amazed how they fucked up the un-fuck uppable. Even after McConaughey did a runner, they still had a formula for a great series.

Each season, take a different pairing of big name actors, give them a back story, bring them together uniquely, and have them hunt a serial killer. How do you fuck that up with the shit we're being served in season 2?

I really hope that for Season 3, they really switch up the formula.

I'd really like a protagonist that isn't an official detective/officer or involved with any kind of law enforcement. One that pursues a case through their own motivation outside of it being their job. Would also be great for a big location switch up.

If anything, this season has made me want HBO to get moving on that Monster adaptation so we can get these production values in some European locales.

jett

D-Member
To be fair, I think the only 'mistake' between last season and this season is the amount of time Pizzaman has been afforded to write and polish the material.

The mistake is that True Detective wasn't treated as a one-shot miniseries.

Go back to your hole, Pizzaman. And stay there.

So, I just got caught up; I don't know if this was posted earlier, but Ray Velcoro is Max Payne. He should've played the character in the film version.

I really hope that for Season 3, they really switch up the formula.

I'd really like a protagonist that isn't an official detective/officer or involved with any kind of law enforcement. One that pursues a case through their own motivation outside of it being their job. Would also be great for a big location switch up.

If anything, this season has made me want HBO to get moving on that Monster adaptation so we can get these production values in some European locales.

Pizzaman has said in the past that the 'True Detective' in the title could refer to anyone seeking the truth, like the protagonist could be a journalist or something.

It would have been interesting to see a criminal investigating a crime. Like, I mean, that's technically what's happening with Vince Vaughn, but you know what I mean.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Amazed how they fucked up the un-fuck uppable. Even after McConaughey did a runner, they still had a formula for a great series.

Each season, take a different pairing of big name actors, give them a back story, bring them together uniquely, and have them hunt a serial killer. How do you fuck that up with the shit we're being served in season 2?

Apparently Pizzolatto hates serial killer plots. Which is funny because Season 2 is still about the mystery of a birdmasked multiple murderer. I'd LOVE for a Season 3 with another "Yellow King' like story though.

rexor0717

What I liked about True Detective was the sense of mystique and sort of ...melancholic dread. I guess there's none of that in S2?

Yeah, that was one of the biggest parts for me. The "is this crazy shit actually happening or is it in his head" was done really well. Yeah, also despair was oozing out of season 1, where it's more like shit is leaking out now.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah, that was one of the biggest parts for me. The "is this crazy shit actually happening or is it in his head" was done really well. Yeah, also despair was oozing out of season 1, where it's more like shit is leaking out now.

Yeah that under the surface Lovecraftian imagery added a ton to the story. Rust and Marty we're great characters but the idea they might be facing a monster of some sort at the end of the story (and maybe they did....) made that season great.

At this point not only am I pretty sure I have a decent handle on the mystery ..... Now I am more interested if the conway twitty prophecy comes true than if they can solve the murder of Caspere

Dany

Banned
Each character has the depth of the drink in their hand.

Which is none since it's empty.

3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Kinyou

That Ray's wife would think that he just lied about killing the dude is so weird to me. Like she said herself, it freaking ruined him. Why would that lie drive him into alcoholism? That he probably took care of the wrong guy isn't too hard to think of yourself.

Tripon

That Ray's wife would think that he just lied about killing the dude is so weird to me. Like she said herself, it freaking ruined him. Why would that lie drive him into alcoholism? That he probably took care of the wrong guy isn't too hard to think of yourself.

Thought that was just the wife denying that she was part of the reason why her exhusband turned out the way Ray did.

Mayyhem

Okay finally a pretty good episode. Great ending also

Farrel is amazing and Rachel is alright. Everyone else is laughably bad.

I almost couldn't get through Woodrughs scene where hes yelling at his mommy.

Top Bottom