• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

ezekial45

Banned
This week and episode 2 were probably the only two episodes so far where I didn't feel bored. The dialogue is unsalvageable at this point but at least when shit goes down it's kinda entertaining! I'm kinda confused as to how Ani managed to get out of the mansion at all though. I mean, it was packed with people, and she basically slashed a guy to death and was basically kidnapping another girl and forcing her to leave the house with her. Wouldn't someone have noticed?
Screamed? What was going on?!

I just assumed they were all high and mostly confused by what was going on. It was packed, but I'd imagine that must've made things more confusing for them to process what happened.

duckroll

the fuck did they kill the girl for before Vaugn could get the info out of her?

Maybe someone who has more power and money got to them first.

I just assumed they were all high and mostly confused by what was going on. It was packed, but I'd imagine that must've made things more confusing for them to process what happened.

With the music and direction of the scene, it was hard for me to process what happened too! Seemed pretty effective. Lol.

Squalor

I'm not actually saying the whole episode was the best, per se, but that fucking ending was actually phenomenal.

Nic's writing throughout was probably the least cringe-worthy of any episode yet.

also didn't think it was very good save the last 15 minutes.

god that you're gold scene from Vaugn. That was Sandlot bad. Jesus. So cringe.

Squalor

what if it was Chessani's son - considering he's an actor... he could've fooled the girl.
I just don't think he's "white" enough, you know?

I mean, look at this motherfucker:

7n0i2En.jpg

No one's calling him "white."

mujun

I did the same last week and agree 100%. Even when there was silly lines of dialog, McConaughey sold the shit out of it.

Totally. All his existential bullshit poetry.

He acted it perfectly and Harrelson acted the part of a guy sick of hearing it perfectly.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What tall, white cops have we seen? Aside from Woodrough.

Actually if Frank gets a look at Woodrough as a cop he might recognise him from the club that one night and think it's him.

Squalor

One thing I couldn't get: Who was the man Ani recognized in the party, the one who made her gasp and jump back, which was when she first ran into the old, horny fat oil magnate?
What tall, white cops have we seen? Aside from Woodrough.

Actually if Frank gets a look at Woodrough as a cop he might recognise him from the club that one night and think it's him.
Lt. Burris? I suppose he's not quite "tall," though.

Oscar

Epic fucking episode, dat ending.

Lol @ you haters saying "least cringy episode". Armchair critics, admit you're digging it.

Didn't we learn in episode 4 or 5 that Dixon got the diamonds before they found it in the safe deposit box? Some fishy stuff seemed like it was going on with him but alas he died in the shoot out.

Altazor

Lol @ you haters saying "least cringy episode". Armchair critics, admit you're digging it.

I think this season has been quite disappointing, but I enjoyed this episode a whole lot. Even VV's moment with Stan's (HEY REMEMBER STAN?! HE WAS SO GOOD) kid, I thought that was decently emotional and provided a neat contrast with Velcoro pouring his heart out only to receive an "ok" back.

Squalor

Hey, if you're enjoying the season, good for you.

I know good writing, though, and the vast majority of this season isn't it.

Your "criticism" is stupid. All critics are "arm chair" critics.
Didn't we learn in episode 4 or 5 that Dixon got the diamonds before they found it in the safe deposit box? Some fishy stuff seemed like it was going on with him but alas he died in the shoot out.
No, he was looking for them. He never had them.

BizzyBum

Another good episode, IMO. Some observations:

1. They missed a golden opportunity for McAdams to see a unicorn in the woods as they were driving away while she was still tripping balls.

2. There were 2 clear shots of the full moon. The first shot was normal, the end scene the moon was fucking huge. I have to imagine this was done on purpose. Is this some sort of bizarro dream world?

3. Who think McAdams practicing CQC on a wooden dummy in her kitchen is dumb now!?

4. "Tall, white cop" ... possibly the mayor? Not a cop, but sure damn looks like one. Remember she said he wasn't wearing a uniform to Frank.

5. I really though that Frank with Stan's kid was a great scene. Frank really connected with him and he just met the kid, then an instant transition to Velcoro and his boy and they couldn't be more awkward and far apart.

edit

Even VV's moment with Stan's (HEY REMEMBER STAN?! HE WAS SO GOOD) kid, I thought that was decently emotional and provided a neat contrast with Velcoro pouring his heart out only to receive an "ok" back.

This man gets it.

Squalor

Velcoro looked confused as fuck in the last scene.
There are a few pretty easy reasons to guess at:

He's nervous about what Woodrugh found, which at this point, I think we can agree is unlikely.

He was worried about the girls in the back of his car, which is pretty eh.

He just had a risky, near-death experience, which he still technically wasn't safely away from, and he was trying to process the whole experience while still driving the getaway car.

Sifl

One thing I couldn't get: Who was the man Ani recognized in the party, the one who made her gasp and jump back, which was when she first ran into the old, horny fat oil magnate?
I could've misinterpreted that scene badly, but I'm pretty sure some repressed memories came back to her of being molested as a child. The guy was probably the guy who did it, and based on the way he looked, I'd guess he was a hippy and a friend of her fathers.

kingocfs

The end also reminded me a lot of ep. 4 from last season. Cop goes under cover, shit gets real, escape with a getaway car.

Wasn't nearly as awesome but it was well done. McAdams was great.

enjoyed that episode

the song and atmosphere at the manor was great. Collin making peace with his wife. Looks like his character's end is near. Really thought he'll die this episode

The cop is probably Valcero's superior that kept showing up at crime scenes in a suspicious manner. Ie, getting there before Ani in episode 3.

kaskade

I could've misinterpreted that scene badly, but I'm pretty sure some repressed memories came back to her of being molested as a child. The guy was probably the guy who did it, and based on the way he looked, I'd guess he was a hippy and a friend of her fathers.

My gf and i got that vibe as well. I guess we'll find out soon.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I don't think I've seen a show in a while that is just completely all over the place as this. With that said, I was pretty entertained the last 2 episodes, it just doesn't feel like a cohesive show. It's very strange.

Kerned

Banned
I don't think I've seen a show in a while that is just completely all over the place as this. With that said, I was pretty entertained the last 2 episodes, it just doesn't feel like a cohesive show. It's very strange.
I'm with you there. I have enjoyed the last two episodes, more or less, but I still think the show is a mess. There is just so much going on and half of it feels superfluous.

BizzyBum

Also, did anyone even care that Velcoro literally killed that second security guard by smashing the dude's face in about 10 times?

Woodrugh just put the sleeper hold on the first guy. lol

sangreal

I think it was that guy of questionable ethnicity pictured above. Plus the 2 bosses from the office Kitsch broke into, but I don't think they'd recognize her

actor2.png

Arc

At first I was like "wtf @ this music" but then the show kind of felt like a Bond movie and I dug it.

Really good episode, honestly this season for all of its faults could finish stronger than season 1.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are they even pretending to be law enforcement officers now? Like a full raid on that mansion. McAdams is slaying people and practically kidnapping someone, and Kitsch stole a ton of documents.

Very true.

You heard her: "She was working with the cops."
I wonder if they got any info out of her regarding what cop specifically. You'd think they'd be curious about that detail, too, unless they already know.

Who can even keep track? The diamonds were in Caspere's safety deposit box, right? And then somewhere in the time jump they disappeared?

Squalor

I'm an idiot. I completely missed Tony Chessani because I was paying too much attention to the guy who's in front of Ossip. It's Jacob McCandless, and he's been around.

They managed to make an crazy spooky orgy neither crazy nor spooky, what a wasted opportunity.

Show hasn't been the same since Velcro's mustache went away. RIP.

Top Bottom