• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I don't understand how Taylor's character was even approved. His whole role is absolutely pathetic. Now imagine if this guy played a cool dude making hilarious jokes and acting like a badass he is during fights...that would have changed the whole atmosphere in the show. But right now he is acting too depressed for a reason that no one gives a shit about.

I don't understand how Taylor's character was even approved. His whole role is absolutely pathetic. Now imagine if this guy played a cool dude making hilarious jokes and acting like a badass he is during fights...that would have changed the whole atmosphere in the show. But right now he is acting too depressed for a reason that no one gives a shit about.

I'm not sure... That would have helped.

I think he's supposed to be fucked up?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Each character has the depth of the drink in their hand.

Which is none since it's empty.

3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
The depth of your character, Velcoro. It has the depth of your drink.
Which is to say none.

Just another Frank zinger.

Who isn't.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Apparently Pizzolatto hates serial killer plots. Which is funny because Season 2 is still about the mystery of a birdmasked multiple murderer. I'd LOVE for a Season 3 with another "Yellow King' like story though.

But that's all EVERY season could be and it would be successful.

New serial killer each saeason
new detective paring with 2 big names involved

It would kick ass.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

Everyone is fucked up in this show. Although I would have liked to see Ani's backstory with his whole collection of knives. But fuck that. I want the frickin birdman to be explored.

Dr Prob

Banned
palpitations.

FRANK: Palpitations are harmless more often than not. Trouble lies in that sensation radiating outward. The spread. Having a handle on the reality of a situation can't stop an arm from turning demago--

ICE CREAM TRUCK MAN: OH FFS, next! Hey pal, I like David Milch too but you're holding things up. This isn't that, it's an ice cream truck.

Squalor

This episode was awful. I'm going to finish this season and not watch the third.
As for networks with better dramas than HBO in 2015: Showtime, Sundance, AMC, FX, the CW, NBC for six more weeks, USA, Netflix, Starz, Cinemax.
Transparent season two returns this fall/winter, so throw Amazon to the top of the list.

Liked that episode. Farrell is still the best thing about this season. Big dick monologue was awesome, it wasn't played serious, McAdams just fucked with the guys, it worked for me.

Liked that episode. Farrell is still the best thing about this season. Big dick monologue was awesome, it wasn't played serious, McAdams just fucked with the guys, it worked for me.

But what are we supposed to get out of that scene? It's useless. It's just McAdams "being a badass", saying "fuck you!" to the SYSTEM, and that's it. We already know she's got an attitude.

It's a scene that could work well (I don't like it, myself) in the first episode, when establishing her personality. Episode 5? That scene could have been covered in 10 seconds of dialogue.

otapnam

But what are we supposed to get out of that scene? It's useless. It's just McAdams "being a badass", saying "fuck you!" to the SYSTEM, and that's it. We already know she's got an attitude.

It's a scene that could work well (I don't like it, myself) in the first episode, when establishing her personality. Episode 5? That scene could have been covered in 10 seconds of dialogue.

Everythings changed. nothings changed

Squalor

Everythings changed. nothings changed
"This week on True Detective, we hit reset on everything except how uninteresting the show has been. That stays the same. Enjoy."
"Ya poisonous cooze" is an amazing line, what are you talking about?
"You fucking poisoned* cooze!" to be exact.

And that whole scene was laughably bad. Are we really supposed to believe Paul left $25,000 in the top of his trailer-trash mother's trailer-trash trailer's closet for four years? Get the fuck out of here, Nic.

That Ray's wife would think that he just lied about killing the dude is so weird to me. Like she said herself, it freaking ruined him. Why would that lie drive him into alcoholism? That he probably took care of the wrong guy isn't too hard to think of yourself.

Yeah, I guess Pizza just wrote himself into a corner there. The alternative would have pretty huge ramifications for the ongoing custody case.

Dany

Banned
How the fuck do these characters exist outside the scope of the show.

Imagine Paul and Frank going to six flags.

"This week on True Detective, we hit reset on everything except how uninteresting the show has been. That stays the same. Enjoy."

And that whole scene was laughably bad. Are we really supposed to believe Paul left $25,000 in the top of his trailer-trash mother's trailer-trash trailer's closet for four years? Get the fuck out of here, Nic.

I broke down and realized that Woody is a self-sabotaging idiot, so it was okay.

xezuru

Paul, finally off work, tries to ease tensions at Six-Flags, he looks up towards the sky, almost begging for an answer, but he wasn't asking the right questions. He closes his eyes, then opens them, revealing him at the apex of a rollercoaster ride. "WAIT AM I GAY?". The ride starts to fall... Fade to black.

Meanwhile, Ray Velcoro is seen distraught, seemingly weaving between all sorts of games, he tries one with disappointment and goes off to the next one... after some time and effort, Velcoro struggles at his inner ego, unable to shoot 3 cans off a platform with an air gun, his police-work taught him nothing... "Better luck next time" he hears. Velcoro reaches into his pocket, suddenly beating the man to near-death, "... Fuuuck... youuuuu." jabbing his finger into the the bloodied man's chest. He rustles behind him and walks off screen, revealing a new gundam model he will never build with his son.

Paul, finally off work, tries to ease tensions at Six-Flags, he looks up towards the sky, almost begging for an answer, but he wasn't asking the right questions. He closes his eyes, then opens them, revealing him at the apex of a rollercoaster ride. "WAIT AM I GAY?". The ride starts to fall... Fade to black.

Meanwhile, Ray Velcoro is seen distraught, seemingly weaving between all sorts of games, he tries one with disappointment and goes off to the next one... after some time and effort, Velcoro struggles at his inner ego, unable to shoot 3 cans off a platform with an air gun, his police-work taught him nothing... "Better luck next time" he hears. Velcoro reaches into his pocket, suddenly beating the man to near-death, "... Fuuuck... youuuuu." jabbing his finger into the the bloodied man's chest. He rustles behind him and walks off screen, revealing a new gundam model he will never build with his son.

Frank: "You know who loved Six Flags? Stan. Stan loved Six Flags."

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs

I thought he called her a goose lol

Frank: "You know who loved Six Flags? Stan. Stan loved Six Flags."

Vince: Some men like six flags and others like Disney. I ask those men, when the chips fall and the cake is baked, who will shave off the frosting? And that is when I decided that nobody would ever get a fast pass again. Not while I'm around.

Honestly, I didn't get into season 1 until episode 4 when Rust infiltrates the biker gang. I thought the show was terribly boring until then.

I just caught up with the last three episodes and am loving it. All the four leads are great, but my boy Colin Farrell is amazing. See a lot of hate for this season and I think people are just looking to hate it because it isn't season 1.

I just caught up with the last three episodes and am loving it. All the four leads are great, but my boy Colin Farrell is amazing. See a lot of hate for this season and I think people are just looking to hate it because it isn't season 1.

yes you got it. Every critic and fan that is disappointed just "wanted to hate it because it isn't S1"

What an astounding critical analysis. Probably as in-depth and thoughtful as "You only like it because season 1 was good and because the "Big Dicks" scene showcased masterful writing and Vince Vaughn is a totally believable actor in this role you guys".

NeoGiff

Yeah, I started watching it this year because I thought they were just going to rerun season 1.

When I saw that they weren't doing that, I thought "What kind of way is that to greet the world?", and made it my sole purpose to fuck it hard and publicly with by big girthy dick.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay I'm up to date now and overall my impressions of this show are clearly more positive than most people here. I'm enjoying it plenty. It's no season one at all across the board, but it's still among the better drama on TV, and still has the first season's imprint.

I'm a huuuge fan of the first, but folk shouldn't forget how arguably slow in crime development the first few episodes were. I've friends who couldn't get into it for those reasons. Much like this the first season emphasised character drama well above the actual case, and it wasn't until the tail end episodes that all the pieces fell into place. It's echoed here, even if it's not handled as well, largely due to the shift in focusing on personal lives over lives impacted by the work itself (though I'd argue that is still the case for at least two characters).

The writing occasionally fumbles, yes. On the odd occasion it's laughable bad. But for most part I feel the writing is just fine, as are the performances. The weakest link is Vince Vaughn who is a terrible miscasting given the dialogue written for him. The character suits his look, but Vaughn is pretty woeful at working with the script (which may be a combined fault of his acting limitations and mixed script quality). I can totally see how this alone would sour the viewing experience for a lot of people; he's a hugely significant character playing a big role in every episode. To be horribly miscast is a constant weight to the overall narrative.

Nevertheless, Vaughn's performance aside and occasional script hiccups, and the impossible standard set by the first, I'm still really really enjoying season two.

Paganmoon

God damnit NeoGiff, your avatar keeps making me think I'm in the unmarked GOT thread. Which made me scratch my head at EatChildren's post for a few seconds.

Seanspeed

Banned
yes you got it. Every critic and fan that is disappointed just "wanted to hate it because it isn't S1"
It's not about wanting to hate it, at least not consciously. I just think when something people like a lot changes to any significant degree(and this being a totally different storyline, it's a massive change), they often immediately become more judgemental, whether they realize it or not. Your criticisms of the season may be entirely valid, but you might find yourself being a lot more thorough in seeking out these flaws and you'll be more bothered by them than you would otherwise.

Take this for example:

How the fuck do these characters exist outside the scope of the show.

I could say the same thing about many of the characters in S1. Rusty especially. Maybe its more obvious now with more characters than before, but I don't really see much difference here.

And I'm not saying this is the case for absolutely everybody who doesn't like this season, but it's something I see quite often, and not just with shows or movies or whatever.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Are you honestly saying that expectations don't count towards how something is perceived?

Baggage matters, especially online where reactions tend to be exaggerated and reactionary - media and public alike.

NeoGiff

Are you honestly saying that expectations don't count towards how something is perceived?

Baggage matters, especially online where reactions tend to be exaggerated and reactionary - media and public alike.

Of course expectations and baggage matter. Nobody is denying that.

A lot of people were already expecting that season 2 wouldn't live up to the quality of season 1, just not to this degree.

1. The plotting of the first four episodes was all over the place.
2. The characters don't feel like real people when you consider them doing anything other than their jobs.
3. At least one of the leads is very divisive among fans.
4. In many cases the acting doesn't sell the writing.
5. There is no room for chemistry to build between characters as very few scenes are allowed to breathe.
6. Many of the scenes are extraneous and seem to either contribute nothing to the forward momentum of the plot, or reiterate something that has already been established about a character.
7. On paper, there are a lot of intriguing and interesting things happening. On screen, they are conveyed in the dullest manner.
8. There is no Marty-like foil to counteract the extreme bleakness of all four lead characters. Everything is so edgy all the time.

The list goes on. With these complaints in mind, I did enjoy episode 5 and hope it retains that forward momentum throughout the final three episodes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I just think that a lot of things that the first season got a pass on, are being brought up as major problems this time around.

The dialogue is no more overwritten than the first run, that's for sure!

For the record, I do feel season 2 is weaker, but I'd say its issues aren't primarily a result of the scripts being worse - I'd actually place variable directorial choices and (particularly) some of the casting decisions higher on the list.

Vince Vaughan objectively speaking isn't terrible, but he's just lacking in the necessary presence to make Frank's character really work. Imagine that role played by James Gandolfini for example...

CassSept

Well, on one hand the plot is finally moving.

On the other, we are 5 episodes into 8 episodes long season.

It's a mess. Maybe it's less apparent if you marathon the season, but the plotting is terrible.

The mystery at the center of the season feels almost irrelevant at this point. There are way too many characters that are not fleshed out well enough and the number of interconnected characters if confusing, if only because the show jumps around like a madman and then goes into long, boring, TD-parody-levels monologues (like that review posted a few pages back said best, important plot points are glided over, while everything else takes forever to get moving).

Worst of all, it tries to be a character study with some thoroughly uninteresting, laughably brooding characters.

In a vacuum the episode would have worked better if it aired earlier on. It's hard to judge it on it's own merits with everything that came before.

kaskade

At this point I don't even see the point of Paul being a character. He doesn't really directly add anything to the story.

It's kind of crazy how much I think about the show though. I don't hate this season I think it just annoys me that it could be so much better. I wonder if it's the lack of Fukanaga directing?

Top Bottom