• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

Sure, Trump had the legal authority to do what he did, but nobody can honestly doubt his intent.

I'm sure 33% of the country will do just that...

Not that I disagree with you- If you've been following Trump since day 1 you know he's complicit in this shit. Just don't know how deep it goes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obstruction of justice.

The fact that its obviously an attempt at obstructing justice isn't the same thing as evidence of obstruction of justice.

We need to wait for the Mark Felt of the Trump Admin to pop out and this administration leaks like a fucking sieve.

Also really smart plan firing Comey when he wasn't in the office and couldn't get his files

Because god knows there's no way he has people who could get them and/or backups

Sure, Trump had the legal authority to do what he did, but nobody can honestly doubt his intent.

Im confused about why the timing matters for comeys firing.

If trump wanted to stymie the investigation by firing comey, why wait until may and let them investigate for almost 3 months?

Also what about this prevents the investigation from continuing? As director, im sure he wasnt personally involved, but rather has people reporting findings to him?

I guess as a means of stoppping or harming the investigstion this seems a bit of an ineffective way to do it.

Loxley

Also really smart plan firing Comey when he wasn't in the office and couldn't get his files

Because god knows there's no way he has people who could get them and/or backups

I'm immediately reminded of the scene from the end of J. Edgar where the second Nixon finds out Hoover is dead, he immediately orders his people to rush to Hoover's office to get his files - but his secretary moved and shredded the documents before Nixon's cronies arrived.

theWB27

If trump wanted to stymie the investigation by firing comey, why wait until may and let them investigate for almost 3 months?

Also what about this prevents the investigation from continuing? As director, im sure he wasnt personally involved, but rather has people reporting findings to him?

I guess as a means of stoppping or harming the investigstion this seems a bit of an ineffective way to do it.

This has been answered for awhile now.

louiedog

He had just asked for more resources for the Russia investigation this week.

In the nyt palace intrigue story - which is crazy - btw, trump comes off as a toddler.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/how-trump-decided-to-fire-james-comey.html

If there is Russian collusion it seems like it's all around some of the people close to him, the story identifies Stone, Kushner, Pence, McGahn as being "supportive" of the "idea" of firing Comey and Bannon and Priebus as not being supportive, for obvious "optics" reasons.
He also discussed the idea early with his thug nypd agent zero bodyguard Schiller, which is just insane, to me.

So trump did it, and Sessions was obviously on board fully.

It's more than possible that trump is just insane and doesn't really realize how the Russians helped him, and doesn't consider Russian cash as any big deal, but the people on the trump train are using him as a human shield: directing his tantrums into actions that might delay their own demise.

Comey got fired after asking for more resources to accelerate the investigation but none of that was mentioned in this palace intrigue story. It may have triggered the firing, and trump maybe wasn't even aware of it, he migt be operating on a much lower level of brain activity, ping ponging off the tv, aides, and their own agendas.

Fucking turd on CNN, Hillary would have fired Comey instantly, we know that. All the while with a shit eating grin.

Toobin, you don't know that at all, yah I do.

Ok fuckstick.

WinFonda

It seems as though Trump thought Comey might come around, offer assurances and other public proclamations of Trump's innocence, and be an all-around team player (stooge) since Comey did, after all, massively swing the election for Trump. Trump and his admin did NOT want to fire Comey since it was always going to look bad.

He only fired him after it became clear that Comey wasn't going to play ball

The director of the FBI is also massively important for what and how something this critical and sensitive gets investigated. And obviously, anyone Trump appoints will likely be willing to make those assurances Trump was seeking from Comey

antonz

I am sure Trump probably believes his own bullshit that no one would find anything. On the other hand its been being hinted at for awhile significant progress was being made in nailing people to the wall. 2 Cases were filed in Virginia and New York on April 17th by the US Government both with case name, plaintiffs etc. withheld. They have been linked to grand juries impaneled.

Comey testified that he in fact is working with 2 Sets of Prosecutors confirming Virginia as one and now the Virginia Grand Jury is sending out Subpoenas. The interesting thing about the 2nd government filing is it is specifically labeled as a RICO case. So while there is no hard evidence of it being the 2nd Grand Jury its timing being the exact same day as Virginia etc. is awfully suggestive.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Imagine Trump trying to look 6 foot 8 inches Comey in the face as he relieves him of duty

Lest not forget Trump couldnt handle looking directly into the eyes and respectfully shaking hands with our own ally Angela Merkel during a photo op. A 2 foot tall child would intimidate this fuck just the same.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BADdV3D.png

heh

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It seems as though Trump thought Comey might come around, offer assurances and other public proclamations of Trump's innocence, and be an all-around team player (stooge) since Comey did, after all, massively swing the election for Trump. Trump and his admin did NOT want to fire Comey since it was always going to look bad.

He only fired him after it became clear that Comey wasn't going to play ball as a desperate, last resort

The director of the FBI is also massively important for what and how something this critical and sensitive gets investigated. And obviously, anyone Trump appoints will likely be willing to make those assurances Trump was seeking from Comey

There's no way the Senate is going to confirm a Trump stooge. "Corruption" is the wrong term to have attached to your re-election bid.

There's also a reason why Nixon had to fire 2 people just so he could find a stooge willing to fire Cox. Because its corrupt as fuck and people don't want that word attached to their names.

Shoeless

At what point do Trump supporters finally admit that they're not even interested in a democracy anymore and firmly believe that a monarchy in which they are all members of the court is what America really needs?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Hubris.

They thought they could get away with it.

There's no way the Senate is going to confirm a Trump stooge. "Corruption" is the wrong term to have attached to your re-election bid.
Just like they wouldn't put a Trump stooge in charge of the select committee investigating ruskies or intentionally try to sabotage a hearing by asking about unmasking

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

He only fired him after it became clear that Comey wasn't going to play ball.

The director of the FBI is also massively important for what and how something this important gets investigated. And obviously, anyone Trump appoints will likely be willing to make those assurances Trump was seeking from Comey

Yep. He lost Sessions and Nunes. It was likely killing Trump that he didn't have the inside line into the FBI investigation and has been working with his cronies on solutions for awhile now. They saw an opportunity and optics, reputation, dignity, country be damned.

Every single GOP member in support of this is a traitor.

antonz

It works either way really for Trump. Stooge is blocked and the FBI is left without a true leader. If McCabe isn't willing to play ball Trump can always keep firing people until he finds someone who will

He only fired him after it became clear that Comey wasn't going to play ball

Im always highly skeptical when i see a news story being positioned as a horrible scandal and alternatively business as usual so clearly across party lines.

The story i read said comey was pressured to speed up the investigation by the senate intelligence commitee, to which he responded with requesting more resources to do so.

That seems to be being spun into "comey wanted to expand the investigation so trump fired him" though.

blackjaw

I've been gone the past few days and came back to this...absolute madness and seeing Conways statements on the matter is just maddening

WinFonda

Im always highly skeptical when i see a news story being positioned as a horrible scandal and alternatively business as usual so clearly across party lines.

The story i read said comey was pressured to speed up the investigation by the senate intelligence commitee, to which he responded with requesting more resources to do so.

That seems to be being spun into "comey wanted to expand the investigation so trump fired him" though.
Well generally speaking, speeding up does mean expanding. More money, more people, more resources going into the thing. It's easy to draw conclusions about why Trump would not like that to happen.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

With all due respect, I neither believe you are confused nor skeptical. Your posts are not convincing.

benjipwns

Banned

One story said Trump had been considering it for a week essentially because he thought Comey looked weak on TV.

That certainly sounds like his typical decision making process that I'm familiar with. Something Sean Spicer may also get to experience soon.

At what point do Trump supporters finally admit that they're not even interested in a democracy anymore and firmly believe that a monarchy in which they are all members of the court is what America really needs?
Three months ago:

PPP poll summary said:
-Voters are concerned by the implications of Trump's fight with the
Judiciary.

53% of voters say they trust Judges more to make the right decisions
for the United States, to only 38% who trust Trump more. And only 25% of voters
think Trump should be able to overturn decisions by Judges that he disagrees
with, to 64% who don't think he should be able to do that. Trump voters have
evidently had enough of the Constitution and those pesky checks and balances
though- 51% of them think he should personally be able to overturn decisions he
doesn't agree with, to only 33% who dissent.
(full poll details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom