• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
Im always highly skeptical when i see a news story being positioned as a horrible scandal and alternatively business as usual so clearly across party lines.

The story i read said comey was pressured to speed up the investigation by the senate intelligence commitee, to which he responded with requesting more resources to do so.

That seems to be being spun into "comey wanted to expand the investigation so trump fired him" though.

Both Dems and GOP representatives have expressed concern with his firing. This is not a party lines issue.

Requesting more funding = expanding investigation. Why do you think they would need that extra funding?

Trump voters have evidently had enough of the Constitution and those pesky checks and balances though - 51% of them think he should personally be able to overturn decisions he
doesn't agree with, to only 33% who dissent.

These people are remarkably stupid to think authoritarian rule would be better for them in the long run. Hell, in the short run.

He's right. I find it unbelievable that the western world isn't united in sanctioning the utter fuck out of them. They're caught red handed trying to influence multiple elections and all they get is a few harsh words.

Global Politics: They're Complicated.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Has this article been posted and discussed in here already? Because it's some gold

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/10...ment-bill-out-of-spite-over-the-comey-firing/

JOHN MCCAIN MAY HAVE KILLED AN ANTI-ENVIRONMENT BILL OUT OF SPITE OVER THE COMEY FIRING

SOMETHING VERY UNUSUAL happened in the U.S. Senate today: a vote scheduled by the majority leader failed. The legislation would have repealed an Obama-era rule designed to prevent methane emissions from leaking out of drilling operations on public lands. Brought up under the Congressional Review Act, the resolution only needed 50 votes to pass the Senate, after already passing the House along party lines. But it failed 49-51.[...]

Three Republicans voted against repealing the methane rule, which was backed by the president. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, had already announced their intention to vote no before the vote. But John McCain, R-Ariz., “unexpectedly” joined them.[...]

McCain’s conduct during the Senate vote also raises red flags. In the C-SPAN video of the vote, McCain can be seen in heated discussion with John Cornyn, R-Texas, the number two man in the Senate leadership, along with John Barrasso, R-Wyo., and an unidentified senator with his back to the camera. After yelling at them for close to a minute, McCain goes over to the Senate clerks and gives a thumbs down to record his vote. He then storms out of the chamber, as Cornyn raises his arms in mild protest.[...]

Shoeless

He's right. I find it unbelievable that the western world isn't united in sanctioning the utter fuck out of them. They're caught red handed trying to influence multiple elections and all they get is a few harsh words.

I have to admit, there's something almost admirable about it. Rather than just bang their heads against the brick wall of being the biggest, scariest, most militarized nation, Russia went lateral and started manipulating information instead.

I can respect the intelligence behind this approach, even if I am personally horrified by how effective it is, especially when applied to a population largely motivated by fear and racism.

Trakdown

I get the feeling we're not going to be doing anything to Russia anytime soon with Cocksocket-in-Chief in power.

CazTGG

What sovereign states aren't sanctioning Russia aside from, presumably, China?

Joe

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/862457167932272640

"BREAKING: Chaffetz asks DOJ IG to expand review to include Comey's firing"

IGV3G2p.jpg

Syncytia

A large number of European countries are heavily dependent on Russia for energy which complicates things a bit more. Obviously, this goes both ways as energy exports are a huge part of the Russian economy but presumably there's a line somewhere that would cause Russia to stop exporting and take that hit. Russia also consumes a significant amount of European products, and visa versa. It's not like a North Korea situation where it's easy to say, OK here's some sanctions, what are you going to do about it.

EMT0

Banned
Yes, they're being sanctioned to a degree by many countries. Obviously it's not enough.

Agreed. Russia is the enemy of modern civilization yet again, which is a damn shame, but Putin's bullshit is unacceptable. Whether you're in the West, the Middle East, or Asia, Russia is in it to ruin modernity and bring us back to tribalistic WW2 bullshit starring nationalism, racism, and religious zeal. Russia deserves nothing less than universal sanctions.

What a way to fire someone who has worked over 10 years in his position. A simple letter, delivered to his office while he was away and nothing else? Do companies really do this or is Trump being a pussy.

Comey's letter feels like a swipe at Trump - emphasizing the competency, honesty and especially independence of the FBI as well as the importance of doing the right thing and upholding the constitution.

UrokeJoe

Comey's letter feels like a swipe at Trump - emphasizing the competency, honesty and especially independence of the FBI as well as the importance of doing the right thing and upholding the constitution.

It's all we got and all we can hope for right now.

We all want this played out under those circumstances... but I am losing hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom