• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storytime

Some nice thoughts here, but I have no hopefulness left regarding politics. There will be no more investigation on Russia, at least not until Trump is already out of office. It'll be swept under the rug and most of the populous will cease to care, not that they ever did to begin with. Kind of unbelievable that virtually all he had to do to make it go away was snap his fingers.

Ithil

27-paul-ryan-invertebrate.w1200.h630.jpg

The key is to drive a wedge between GOP and Trump.

Is this the guy you want to risk your re-election on? Now the complicating factor is GOP elects are terrified of their own base so this strategy is not as effective as it would be in the past.

My opinion is: grind the GOP legislative agenda to a halt as best you can. Hope more smoking guns pop-up that suck all the oxygen out of DC. If Trump's behavior degenerates further and becomes tougher to defend and when the tax cuts don't show up, institutional GOP types may figure why die on this hill?

GOP agenda slides through like shit through a goose under President Pence. And remember Trump didn't get elected on promising to move on Paul Ryan's agenda. That shit ain't popular.

The anger behind Donald Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday had been building for months, but a turning point came when Comey refused to preview for top Trump aides his planned testimony to a Senate panel, White House officials said.

Trump, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had wanted a heads-up from Comey about what he would say at a May 3 hearing about his handling of an investigation into former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

Holy shit it's all coming out. Someone was worried what he might say.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1862WP

KHarvey16

Some nice thoughts here, but I have no hopefulness left regarding politics. There will be no more investigation on Russia, at least not until Trump is already out of office. It'll be swept under the rug and most of the populous will cease to care, not that they ever did to begin with. Kind of unbelievable that virtually all he had to do to make it go away was snap his fingers.

Nothing has stopped. Indictments are going out now, requests have been made of the financial crimes investigators and subpoenas are being issued for documents.

Ernest

Banned
Look at recent elections. Republicans seats are in danger. Re-election concerns motivate politicians.
Which is why I added the stipulation
with Republicans controlling both the House and Senate.
But I doubt the Dems will get a majority even then - the seats up for grabs are still heavily gerrymandered, and even if the races are tighter than ever, a Dem majority is pretty unlikely, even with GOP's losing popularity.
Even if it happens, that's 2018, and then some time after that if something does happen - an eternity in our current climate.

Boke1879

Sahil Kapur
@sahilkapur
Senate Intel Cmte has subpoenaed documents from Michael Flynn in the Russia probe after he refused to cooperate w/ their request, per aides.

5:36pm · 10 May 2017 · Twitter for iPhone

good

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the 'nothing will happen' crowd have to be shitting their pants right now.

It depends how you define "nothing will happen." I don't suspect this will lead to impeachment proceedings, but the biggest immediate problem this causes is that it attaches the word "corrupt" to the GOP, which has significant effects on election results. In that sense, I absolutely think something will happen.

pigeon

Banned

But I doubt the Dems will get a majority even then - the seats up for grabs are still heavily gerrymandered, and even if the races are tighter than ever, a Dem majority is pretty unlikely, even with GOP's losing popularity.
Even if it happens, that's 2018, and then some time after that if something does happen - an eternity in our current climate.

Gerrymandering makes you more vulnerable to waves, not less. You gerrymander by constructing several pretty safe seats for your party and one or two extremely safe seats for the other party. But pretty safe isn't that safe in a wave.

No obligation, just Comey had a really shitty/petty/impulsive boss.

You don't ask for a preview of someone's testimony unless you're afraid of what they might say.

And for Trump to be asking this of someone who is investigating him doesn't look good. Even more shitty that both the AG and DAG wanted to know too.

KHarvey16

Even if it happens, that's 2018, and some time after that - an eternity in our current climate.

It doesn't require waiting until the elections are lost, just numbers showing they're at risk and some special election results bearing that out. His approval ratings are abysmal and he's dragging them down with him. Any republican with an election coming up is concerned.

tbm24

You don't ask for a preview of someone's testimony unless you're afraid of what they might say.

And for Trump to be asking this of someone who is investigating him doesn't look good. Even more shitty that both the AG and DAG wanted to know too.
Well Trump treats his administration like a gang and he's the boss. Trump likely felt like a badass ordering him fired, in his room with the TV on far far away anyone.

There was something today about how he ran the FBI it was all good things. He just made a stupid mistake.

Yeah seemed like he had lots of respect and allies as well. Read a few reports about how angry and upset agents were at the news. Hope they can take the frustration and really Start digging.

So now you have the President(target of investigation) wanting to know the head investigator's testimony in advance.

You have the Attorney General, supposedly recused from investigation wanting to know.

And the supposedly neutral Deputy AG.

What a shit show.

Reminds me that Clapper confirmed that he unmasked someone who was both a member of Congress and on Trump's transition team. If that was Sessions then that would explain him wanting Comey fired ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom