• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrant

The President of the United States, probably the most privileged individual in the world when it comes to the sheer amount of information and intelligence he can access at his own behest, prefers to sit and watch fucking cable news coverage about whether or not he's doing a good job. Unbelievable.

In another timeline the GOP gathers together and begins the impeachment process with Paul Ryan saying, "Let's just do it and be legends."

RDreamer

I'm not saying he cannot do it, I'm saying he won't and I think it is damned obvious why.

Putting Gowdy, Christie, Rudy in as Director would be a bloodbath. It seems that is the only thing killing Trump, basically the equivalent to ratings i.e. coverage.

Firing the FBI director like this would be a bloodbath. They obviously didn't think so, because they're fucking morons. Yes we all know putting Gowdy or Christie as director would be ridiculously terrible, but we are not morons. They are.

In another timeline the GOP gathers together and begins the impeachment process with Paul Ryan saying, "Let's just do it and be legends."

Paul Ryan wasn't dreaming of impeaching a Republican president since he was in college drinking at a keg.

Jenov

Clapper said he unmasked someone in intercepts who was a member of Congress and a member of Trump campaign. Short list of people there.

Oh shit, so it's one of these:

Rep. Lou Barletta
Rep. Marsha Blackburn (moved to vice-chair)
Rep. Chris Collins
Rep. Tom Marino
Rep. Devin Nunes
Rep. Sean Duffy
Rep. Trey Gowdy
Rep. Dennis Ross
Sen. Jeff Sessions
Sen. Tim Scott
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers
Rep. Tom Reed
Rep. Cynthia Lummis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_transition_of_Donald_Trump

Money on Nunes. That's why they were calling him in like a fucking lap dog to spread misinformation.

edit: missed a few names

nomster

I was still blown away by that line.

She should have been called out right then and there for making such a horseshit and disgusting statement.

Yep. Saying the outgoing director committed atrocities is going to go a long way towards fixing the FBI's supposed morale problem. Good job Huck Jr

So if the House goes to the Democrats in 2018, wouldn't there be a very real possibility of impeachment of both Trump and Pence, leading to the Democratic Speaker of the House taking office? If nothing else, that possibility should terrify the GOP.

KHarvey16

From that WaPo article:

One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”

Oops.

Barzul

Oh shit, so it's one of these:

Rep. Lou Barletta
Rep. Marsha Blackburn (moved to vice-chair)
Rep. Chris Collins
Rep. Tom Marino
Rep. Devin Nunes
Rep. Sean Duffy
Rep. Trey Gowdy
Rep. Dennis Ross
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_transition_of_Donald_Trump

Money on Nunes. That's why they were calling him in like a fucking lap dog to spread misinformation.
I don't think it was one individual who was both. I think he was referring to two individuals.

WaPo reporting over 30 sources say Trump fired Comey over Russia investigation. Duh doy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18f6849a004_story.html?utm_term=.7a574ffbabab
Many employees said they were furious about the firing, saying the circumstances of his dismissal did more damage to the FBI’s independence than anything Comey did in his three-plus years in the job.

One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”
ViSIR2r.gif

So if the House goes to the Democrats in 2018, wouldn't there be a very real possibility of impeachment of both Trump and Pence, leading to the Democratic Speaker of the House taking office? If nothing else, that possibility should terrify the GOP.

Senate wouldn't vote to convict Pence for that very reason.

Though what would a Pence presidency even LOOK like in that event??? Talk about the lamest of lame ducks.

Majine

Banned
Trump seems like a real nice guy to work with. Yelling in front of the TV while eating and blaming people in his own admin.

Jenov

Maddow headline, NYT: James Comey described Trump as "outside realm of normal" even "crazy"

lol, hope Donald sees that

From that WaPo article:

Oops.

Inside the F.B.I., Stunned Agents Wonder About Future of Russia Inquiry https://nyti.ms/2pxKcW4

Yeah it seems like Trump may be running out of good will with the FBI.

One senior F.B.I. official said that the president had severely damaged his standing among agents, many of whom are conservative and supported Mr. Trump as a candidate. Agents were angered by the way Mr. Trump fired Mr. Comey, who learned of his dismissal from television reports while he was in Los Angeles. They called it disrespectful.

Whatever happens, another senior F.B.I. official said stoically, the bureau will continue to investigate crimes. The day Mr. Comey was fired was no different than the day before, the official insisted.

Man, that WaPo article is juicy.
ESSENTIALLY DECLARED WAR

Within the Justice Department and the FBI, the firing of Comey has left raw anger, and some fear, according to multiple officials. Thomas O'Connor, the president of the FBI Agents Association, called Comey's firing ”a gut punch. We didn't see it coming, and we don't think Director Comey did anything that would lead to this.''

Many employees said they were furious about the firing, saying the circumstances of his dismissal did more damage to the FBI's independence than anything Comey did in his three-plus years in the job.

One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey's firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won't soon be forgotten. Trump had ”essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI," one official said. ”I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind."

ask1izT.gif

Edit: Ha, beaten. I see that bit stuck out to others as well.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

So far they've been repeatedly blindsided, and their director actually lacked the foresight to see it coming for a long period of time and across multiple events. These guys will just be carved out and silenced if they dont act fast and start playing by the same rules as trump and co.

I honestly dont know what they are waiting for. We haven't received a trickle of tangible evidence in a while, you'd think there would be a steady information campaign from multiple agencies and external parties if it is as obvious as it appears to be.

As this plays out, multiple agencies have received black eyes and lost credibility. Russia hasn't fired a single shot, and they've seriously fucked up the FBI and IC.

aaaaa0

So if the House goes to the Democrats in 2018, wouldn't there be a very real possibility of impeachment of both Trump and Pence, leading to the Democratic Speaker of the House taking office?

Unfortunately not, unless they get some significant Republican defections.

Dems need a majority of the house to initiate impeachment, but they also need 2/3s of the Senate (67 seats) to convict and remove Trump.

There are only 8 Republican Senate seats up for election in 2018. So even if the Republicans lost all of them (fat chance) the Dems only get up to 54.

I don't think it was one individual who was both. I think he was referring to two individuals.

I'm trying to find the quote again. IIRC Clapper was asked whether he unmasked a Trump team member, a member of Congress or both and he replied both.

And I believe he said he only unmasked one person ever.

Unfortunately not, unless they get some significant Republican defections.

Dems need a majority of the house to initiate impeachment, but they also need 2/3s of the Senate (67 seats) to convict and remove Trump.

There are only 8 Republican Senate seats up for election in 2018. So even if the Republicans lost all of them (fat chance) the Dems only get up to 54.

56 with Bernie and Angus King.

How many Republicans are up for re-election in 2020?

By the way, lost in all this was the vote to remove Obama regulations on methane was defeated thanks to McCain and a graham and another Republican senator. Which just makes this upside down world even crazier. McCain actually had some balls to go against the grain. As did Graham. Chance for hope?

"Mr. Comey started receiving daily instead of weekly updates on the investigation, beginning at least three weeks ago, according to people with knowledge of the matter and the progress of the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe. Mr. Comey was concerned by information showing potential evidence of collusion"

Ok fuck everything from this point onwards anyone saying that there isn't enough evidence for an independent full investigation is complicit, partisan to the point of blindness, or just stupid.

This.

Mr. Comey was concerned by information showing potential evidence of collusion

Why even fire this idiot? Comey seemed to have been doing a swell job at moving at a molasses pace on the case and quotes like the above shows he was more concerned about appearances for those under investigation than actually getting to the bottom of anything. From Hillary to this it's a constant theme of nail biting and worrying about what people will think, for all we know he was probably worried he was looking too much like he was actually doing a good job at finding something and not a good enough job of making things drag on and be forgotten. Trump should have left him on as I doubt he would have had anything to worry about with Comey looking into things.

KHarvey16

So far they've been repeatedly blindsided, and their director actually lacked the foresight to see it coming for a long period of time and across multiple events. These guys will just be carved out and silenced if they dont act fast and start playing by the same rules as trump and co.

I honestly dont know what they are waiting for. We haven't received a trickle of tangible evidence in a while, you'd think there would be a steady information campaign from multiple agencies and external parties if it is as obvious as it appears to be.

As this plays out, multiple agencies have received black eyes and lost credibility. Russia hasn't fired a single shot, and they've seriously fucked up the FBI and IC.

Why even fire this idiot? Comey seemed to have been doing a swell job at moving at a molasses pace on the case and quotes like the above shows he was more concerned about appearances for those under investigation than actually getting to the bottom of anything. From Hillary to this it's a constant theme of nail biting and worrying about what people will think, for all we know he was probably worried he was looking too much like he was actually doing a good job at finding something and not a good enough job of making things drag on and be forgotten. Trump should have left him on as I doubt he would have had anything to worry about with Comey looking into things.

Wow.

This has all moved at a lightning fast pace relative to the scope of everything. They're unsealing dozens of indictments from, by all accounts, the investigation into one of his associates. You both lack perspective.

Shoeless

Because he wouldn't believe Trump about Obama wiretapping him. This of course coming from an article printed in FUCKING BREITBART. Trump just accepts the idea that if its printed, it must be real. It's how the whole Cruz's dad/JFK thing happened.

It does make Trump pretty predictable though. If he feels you are loyal, you get the the sun and the moon from him. Once you have his suspicions, and he feels betrayed, it's off to the firing squad. Treat him like any Banana Republic dictator and you should be fine. This is all about loyalty to him.

Because he wouldn't believe Trump about Obama wiretapping him. This of course coming from an article printed in FUCKING BREITBART. Trump just accepts the idea that if its printed, it must be real. It's how the whole Cruz's dad/JFK thing happened.

As Clint Watts said, Trump uses Russian active measures. As Russian media and Breitbart print bullshit Trump and Fox News push the same narrative.

Their official spin was that Obama was spying on him. Only he had trouble getting the FBI to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom