• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Maddow is making a case for why FBI Deputy Director McCabe may have a problem of impartiality after reports came out in February that he took Reince Priebus aside and told him that the Russian/trump contacts story from the NYtimes was "bullshit."

Sigh.

Yep, this was known. Yep he's the one rance used as defense on all the Sunday shows.

Someone raised the point that trump may have fired the only guy that could have said there is nothing to Russia and closed the investigation.

Now nobody can do it - without being suspected of fearing sacking, and lying/covering up.

Trump just put Russia into at the bare minimum, a perpetual conspiracy theory hanging over his name. Forever. And of course the maximum of full sets of indictments are still in play.

Someone raised the point that trump may have fired the only guy that could have said there is nothing to Russia and closed the investigation.

Now nobody can do it - without being suspected of fearing sacking, and lying/covering up.

Trump just put Russia into at the bare minimum, a perpetual conspiracy theory hanging over his name. Forever. And of course the maximum of full sets of indictments are still in play.

is this what putin wants?

MIMIC

Banned
tumblr_opqsmoaKZV1shiv3ro1_540.png

I laughed, then groaned

Interesting note in this new Wall Street Journal article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-...on-before-being-fired-u-s-official-1494433061

In the weeks before President Donald Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, a federal investigation into potential collusion between Trump associates and the Russian government was heating up, as Mr. Comey became increasingly occupied with the probe.

Mr. Comey started receiving daily instead of weekly updates on the investigation, beginning at least three weeks ago, according to people with knowledge of the matter and the progress of the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe. Mr. Comey was concerned by information showing potential evidence of collusion, according to these people.

WAIT they are looking at GOWDY to be the new director? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

that snot nosed weasel fuck shouldn't be anywhere close to the position. he shouldn't even have the ability to wipe the director's ass. holy shit i am fuming

KingV

Never been more motivated to vote in my life though, thats for damn sure.

My wife has never given a damn about politics nor been registered to vote in all of her 30'ish years. We talk about how terrible Trump is every night and she is motivated to vote for the first time in her life.

If that is common this cycle, the Republicans are screwed.

Syncytia

WAIT they are looking at GOWDY to be the new director? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

that snot nosed weasel fuck shouldn't be anywhere close to the position. he shouldn't even have the ability to wipe the director's ass. holy shit i am fuming

I refuse to believe they are so stupid to try and get Gowdy in.

They really just don't give a shit what anyone thinks and they believe they are above the law and control every single branch of the government.

Kadin

What I don't understand is this: People under Comey were and hopefully are, still working on gathering whatever information they need to pursue the investigation into Trump, his associates, etc. Now that Comey is gone, why is the worry for so many that whoever steps in will just grind everything to a halt? Do people think his replacement would be able to just kill off all of that work without answering to anyone about why regardless if they're subordinates or other officials? Would senators both Republican and Democrats just accept a drastic decision like that?

I just can't see how this could go down without it causing an even bigger shit-storm if all the investigating just stops. I have to believe some Republicans would cry fowl and look beyond their party line... right?? Yeah I know I'm probably very naive with that last sentence but I just can't believe this could all just go away in an instant because one person was removed and replaced.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not a chance. No way, even Trump isn't that stupid. He has to put someone in that isn't a hyper partisan.

Or what? His pick won't be confirmed? Did you watch any of the confirmation hearings for Trump's picks?

No way Trey Gowdy gets it. I reject a reality where that happens. The FBI will basically meltdown, and the number of leaks would be shocking.

Or what? His pick won't be confirmed? Did you watch any of the confirmation hearings for Trump's picks?

A lot has changed since then. There were at any given time maybe 2-5 Senators who questioned the qualifications of his nominations before. There are already 5+ Senators who have shown concern over his firing of Comey, and if he selects a hyper partisan (fairly unpopular Representative on the hill) it's not getting through. The most rational thing would be to promote the Deputy Director. Otherwise the entire ship sinks. There's no way hundreds of career FBI agents listen to Trey fucking Gowdy.

Snwaters

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope Trump gets conned into putting someone like a military figure in there, ie like McMaster got his job. Probably be the best case scenario at this point.

Kusagari

Christie is by far the best of the names thrown around, which shows how horrifying the rest are.

Christie is also the one with no actual chance because of Kushner.

BFIB

Trump is going to do a Trump thing, and assign that idiot David Clarke, Guiliani, etc. He does not give two shits at this point, except to try and get his person in to try and kill this investigation.

Which, of course, is too far along. He's already got the noose around his neck, and one foot off the chair at this point.

No, I don't think he wants the political liability of someone like Gowdy. He can get a puppet that isn't Gowdy if that is what he wants, picking Gowdy just gets him further crucified.

How can he put in someone that openly supported him and campaigned for him? That person would not be able to lead an investigation on this stuff and be director.

Don't matter. The GOP dismantled the filibuster. 51 votes are all they need.

I'm not saying he cannot do it, I'm saying he won't and I think it is damned obvious why.

Putting Gowdy, Christie, Rudy in as Director would be a bloodbath. It seems that is the only thing killing Trump, basically the equivalent to ratings i.e. coverage.

"Mr. Comey started receiving daily instead of weekly updates on the investigation, beginning at least three weeks ago, according to people with knowledge of the matter and the progress of the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe. Mr. Comey was concerned by information showing potential evidence of collusion"

Ok fuck everything from this point onwards anyone saying that there isn't enough evidence for an independent full investigation is complicit, partisan to the point of blindness, or just stupid.

I love how Trump does something incredibly stupid and then rubs to the TV to jack off as cable news sings his praise, he is so detached from reality. He most certainly has some kind of personality disorder.

WaPo reporting over 30 sources say Trump fired Comey over Russia investigation. Duh doy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18f6849a004_story.html?utm_term=.7a574ffbabab
Trump was angry that Comey would not support his baseless claim that President Barack Obama had his campaign offices wiretapped. Trump was frustrated when Comey revealed in Senate testimony the breadth of the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s effort to sway the 2016 U.S. presidential election. And he fumed that Comey was giving too much attention to the Russia probe and not enough to investigating leaks to journalists.
Comey's "atrocities"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom