• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

This is honestly my biggest concern, people are going to grow exceptionally tired of it by 2018. It is in a way people just stopped giving a shit about revelations during the 2016 election.

That's why I believe that Democratic activists should just focus on getting registered and out to vote in 2018. Marches are great, but ultimately it's the polling booth where we exert our power as citizens.

Maybe if we approach this with a singular focus (vote vote vote) it will make it easier to ignore the seemingly daily distractions.

About certain things, yes. But it's also sometimes good to do other things loudly. When you intimate that shit is going down, you start making those involved nervous (especially as is now obvious something criminal has been done)... more likely to make mistakes which would make things even more explicitly dangerous for those targeted.

Trump's entire campaign team has demonstrably been some of the most oblivious criminals in politics. In short, "dumb" is too kind a label for how idiotic they are. They make mistakes even an amateur would know to avoid. As such, getting these people into a frantic state may be beneficial as well as having political benefits for the other side. For example, Trump has no self-control (except when it comes to drugs/drinking, apparently), and cannot refrain from responding to any perceived little slight against him. It is so predictable people constantly tweet about what they think his precise reaction when any thing goes down will be, and it is hilariously often 100% correct.

I'm not sure if this strategy will work here, but given how profoundly dumb Trump and company are I'm not concerned.

Turn up the heat, enrage these fuckers, let Trump tweet in fury and then we get him saying more shit like the dozens of comments he made that keep contributing to holding his EO's up in court.

Fair points, to be certain. I'm more in the 'just give him enough rope to hang himself' camp. Just quietly go about your business if you're a Democrat, and let this party sling shit at themselves, while Trump is floundering at the guillotine.

Allard

If it actually happens this early, it could only be Flynn or Page I think.
But that'd be a start.

In cases of such magnitude, for anything substantial to happen you got to start the domino effect.
That -if- there is indeed a conspiracy to find, but with that much smoke, there's got to be -something-.

I know Maddow and special reports, but tonight she basically said their team is working on a story that is going around the press community right now but want more sourcing before going live with it that says could be huge related to the investigation, the info they said was in relation to Manafort. To be honest as much as Flynn looks guilty as sin from several federal/army level functions Manafort from the get go has WAY more problems then that given his history and knowledge he might be involved in international money laundering between the campaign he worked with in Ukraine and Russian agents. But Flynn is the bigger target given he actually was more then just part of the campaign, he actually worked in the white house. If I had to peg one member of the former campaign team I saw getting arrested first, it would be Manafort full stop, especially if the help came from international sources.

Amir0x

Banned
That's why I believe that Democratic activists should just focus on getting registered and out to vote in 2018. Marches are great, but ultimately it's the polling booth where we exert our power as citizens.

Maybe if we approach this with a singular focus (vote vote vote) it will make it easier to ignore the seemingly daily distractions.

Don't hold back any weapon you have when so much is on the line.

Voting is not the only way we exert our power. Protest, demand of our representatives, shout them down, go to their town halls and provide a billion embarrassing sound bites, start rumours, go on TV and insult the men. This isn't campaign 2016 anymore. Trump's actions are now representing the office of the presidency, and whether or not people grow tired of how often terrible shit happens, keeping what he represents in a constant malaise of controversy is the perfect strategy for ensuring that people never forget the sheer weight of his incompetency.

Politics has always been war, but that has rarely been as clear as it is now. Republicans for all their horror have at least always recognized that, and have always been better at getting their hands dirty for campaigns. Trump's blessing is that one doesn't have to go far until you bump against his corruption, but we should not fear voter exhaustion. This is a fight for the soul of America, and all guns need to be utilized.

I'm not saying "give a man enough rope to hang themselves" isn't valid too, because you can bet there's tons of things people are doing behind the scenes too. I'm saying this assault needs to be on all fronts essentially.

Hastati

About certain things, yes. But it's also sometimes good to do other things loudly. When you intimate that shit is going down, you start making those involved nervous (especially as is now obvious something criminal has been done)... more likely to make mistakes which would make things even more explicitly dangerous for those targeted.

Trump's entire campaign team has demonstrably been some of the most oblivious criminals in politics. In short, "dumb" is too kind a label for how idiotic they are. They make mistakes even an amateur would know to avoid. As such, getting these people into a frantic state may be beneficial as well as having political benefits for the other side. For example, Trump has no self-control (except when it comes to drugs/drinking, apparently), and cannot refrain from responding to any perceived little slight against him. It is so predictable people constantly tweet about what they think his precise reaction when any thing goes down will be, and it is hilariously often 100% correct.

I'm not sure if this strategy will work here, but given how profoundly dumb Trump and company are I'm not concerned. Turn up the heat, enrage these fuckers, let Trump tweet in fury and then we get him saying more shit like the dozens of comments he made that keep contributing to holding his EO's up in court.

Yeah, being loud and riling up this admin has definitely increased the number of blunders they make. Just inconceivable that they would fire Comey and then meet with Dear Leader Surrogates #1 and #2 right after the Yates testimony.

---

Apologies if this has been discussed, and it is less relevant than the many impeachable offenses already committed by this buffoon, but what are the legal constraints if any behind a decision to fire the head of the FBI? Can this be decidedly used against him in the future, or does it just stand as a blazingly obvious public signal of his treachery?

Edit: just asking this after the above article called it unconstitutional, but I haven't heard a decent explanation as to why it would be so.

Yeah. Hey Conway, that's fucking treasonous dictator support "police state" talk.
Not that it's surprising from her...

Voting is not the only way we exert our power. Protest, demand of our representatives, shout them down, go to their town halls and provide a billion embarrassing sound bites, start rumours, go on TV and insult the men. This isn't campaign 2016 anymore. Trump's actions are now representing the office of the presidency, and whether or not people grow tired of how often terrible shit happens, keeping what he represents in a constant malaise of controversy is the perfect strategy for ensuring that people never forget the sheer weight of his incompetency.

Politics has always been war, but that has rarely been as clear as it is now. Republicans for all their horror have at least always recognized that, and have always been better at getting their hands dirty for campaigns. Trump's blessing is that one doesn't have to go far until you bump against his corruption, but we should not fear voter exhaustion. This is a fight for the soul of America, and all guns need to be utilized.

I'm not saying "give a man enough rope to hang themselves" isn't valid too, because you can bet there's tons of things people are doing behind the scenes too. I'm saying this assault needs to be on all fronts essentially.

This. Everything is useful.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Allard

Yeah, being loud and riling up this admin has definitely increased the number of blunders they make. Just inconceivable that they would fire Comey and then meet with Dear Leader Surrogates #1 and #2 right after the Yates testimony.

---

Apologies if this has been discussed, and it is less relevant than the many impeachable offenses already committed by this buffoon, but what are the legal constraints if any behind a decision to fire the head of the FBI? Can this be decidedly used against him in the future, or does it just stand as a blazingly obvious public signal of his treachery?

Edit: just asking this after the above article called it unconstitutional, but I haven't heard a decent explanation as to why it would be so.

Firing someone who is investigating you or people close to you and specifically firing them for that reason is considered a blatant obstruction of justice charge which would very easily be considered an impeachable offense, I mean technically there is no defined means to impeach someone, its purely up to the house to make a reason, but its something that can be used publicly against him should it be confirmed without a shadow of doubt he fired Comey in attempt to stop an investigation into him or a friend. It is considered a federal crime.

Baby steps... Trump is destroying the credibility of his party with each passing day.

How? People that support Trump are too stupid to see that. The people that voted Republicans don't see them as evil incompetent assholes. They see "liberals" as evil pedophiles trying to destroy this country. Sure, there maybe one or two people that wake up to this BS, but those are very far and few in between.

The best hope is for people on the sidelines to wake up and join the fight.

vSA2TPe.gif

cdyhybrid

usual caveats, nobody here believes 100% in anything until its confirmed.
but Malcolm Nance has a decent career as a TV talking head, he tends not to be excitable and predict things, then make excuses and kick the can down the road endlessly. I've noticed that when it is just one of them (like Louise or Claude) that has a tip it is better to wait for several others to say basically "i've heard the same thing". And that's what has happened for this particular rumour.

Perhaps overseas partners, in deference to their I.C colleagues in the U.S, were not willing to leak until now, but Trump has precipitated a "fuck it, they need help" attitude.

Just want to throw this out there - if any intelligence community agents from any of our allies are reading this (looking at you, Mr. Bond), you have my blessing to leak anything that will lead to Trump being gone.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone who says it's 'inappropriate' to question the choices by one of the world's current leaders is quite clearly a sheep you shouldn't be listening too.

Amir0x

Banned

---

I mean strictly speaking it is constitutional, but there are tons of things which were previously regarded as traditional norms which presidents have had the self-control and respect for the office to not do. Trump despises America and the constraints of office to such a degree, and has such reverence for dictators who just kill political opponents, that he constantly steamrolls such conventions with little regard for how it looks. He invents reasons for his actions from thin air.

I think in the future, once we have competent control of government again, we're going to make some hard laws regarding emoluments violation and things like this (firing an FBI Director when you're currently under investigation, etc). Clearly, our system of checks and balances is far too weak in certain areas. This must be remedied.

Maxim726X

How? People that support Trump are too stupid to see that. The people that voted Republicans don't see them as evil incompetent assholes. They see "liberals" as evil pedophiles trying to destroy this country. Sure, there maybe one or two people that wake up to this BS, but those are very far and few in between.

The best hope is for people on the sidelines to wake up and join the fight.

Well, yes. They're lost.

But the 50% who couldn't be bothered apparently couldn't be reached by the 2016 election may not react to the mudslinging- I don't pretend to know. Just my opinion.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BOOM

Mr. Comey started receiving daily instead of weekly updates on the investigation, beginning at least three weeks ago, according to people with knowledge of the matter and the progress of the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe. Mr. Comey was concerned by information showing possible evidence of collusion, according to these people.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-...on-before-being-fired-u-s-official-1494433061

Comey had just found evidence of collusion between Trump and Russia. There it is.

Well, yes. They're lost.

But the 50% who couldn't be bothered apparently couldn't be reached by the 2016 election may not react to the mudslinging- I don't pretend to know. Just my opinion.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I'm just flabbergasted how idiotic the people who vote Republicans are. It's not aimed at you or anything.

Davide

Why should I believe 'patriotics.blog' or @TrueFactsStated? They seem to make a lot of speculation without any other (legitimate) source backing them up.

That said, I want to believe...
I haven't been following them long but but I know @TrueFactsStated had information on the grand jury subpoenas a week ago.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
was that really Mike Huckabee's daughter doing the white house press briefing today?

I have no problem with people with accents, but i feel like someone that is acting as the spokesperson for the white house should be a little more well rounded in their speech.

Maxim726X

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I'm just flabbergasted how idiotic the people who vote Republicans are. It's not aimed at you or anything.

No offense taken.

We're impassioned. We should be.

Discussing how to reach those that couldn't be bothered to care are key to winning in the future. It's an argument that Democrats should be having.

kevin1025

Banned
was that really Mike Huckabee's daughter doing the white house press briefing today?

I have no problem with people with accents, but i feel like someone that is acting as the spokesperson for the white house should be a little more well rounded in their speech.

I'll give her this, she can actually say words, something Spicer has trouble with.

She actually did a good job at the podium. She was able to keep her composure unlike Spicer. Then again, it was only day 1 while Spicer has had 110 days of dealing with Trump's bullshit.

pigeon

Banned
she's the one that wrote 'your move, putin' and was an intel operative or something / something / something.

few official sources you'll see on TV or in the paper will quote her or take her seriously but she weaves an interesting tale which FEELS right.

Also, she's a GamerGater

Hastati

Firing someone who is investigating you or people close to you and specifically firing them for that reason is considered a blatant obstruction of justice charge which would very easily be considered an impeachable offense, I mean technically there is no defined means to impeach someone, its purely up to the house to make a reason, but its something that can be used publicly against him should it be confirmed without a shadow of doubt he fired Comey in attempt to stop an investigation into him or a friend. It is considered a federal crime.

I mean strictly speaking it is constitutional, but there are tons of things which were previously regarded as traditional norms which presidents have had the self-control and respect for the office to not do. Trump despises America and the constraints of office to such a degree, and has such reverence for dictators who just kill political opponents, that he constantly steamrolls such conventions with little regard for how it looks. He invents reasons for his actions from thin air.

I think in the future, once we have competent control of government again, we're going to make some hard laws regarding emoluments violation and things like this (firing an FBI Director when you're currently under investigation, etc). Clearly, our system of checks and balances is far too weak in certain areas. This must be remedied.

Thank you both. I understood how the firing could be considered hilariously unethical and disgraceful due to its timing and the implied reasoning behind it, but it feels good to know that this act alone is a crime assuming that they have enough evidence.

Praying to a pantheon of gods, musical instruments, the neighor's dog etc. that the bolded happens quick enough.

I haven't been following them long but but I know @TrueFactsStated had information on the grand jury subpoenas a week ago.

Louise Mensch tends to connect dots too readily. Her theories tend to become grand complicated fever dreams, quite fast. But she clearly has sources.

However TrueFactsStated has not so far fed any info that turned out to be disinformation. AFAIK. He clearly has a good source or several, and appears to simply pass on what he hears without adding his own work to it. He also doesnt have a book to flog, or a career on TV to promote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom