• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
It adds up with everything everyone has said about the guy, him being a non-partisan official and isn't some Republican lackey. Shit keeps getting better and better (or worse and worse as the case may be).

then why didn't he resign?, why let himself be used.
He got played. they threatened him in some way, or lied and said he wasn't going to be used as the excuse and then got used.
In which case his resignation should come now.

Chococat

Rosenstein has had a good reputation throughout his career. I think he is someone that would resign over this to uphold his reputation.

Willing to give him a couple of days for it to play out. He might actually be just as blindside by Trump's move as everyone else. Or he is a stooge. Or something inbetween.

Balphon

I feel it's premature to label him one way or another. He could be a good dude trying to stick it out and keep a reasonable person in charge of the FBI. Or maybe he's a shot heel who doesn't want the bad press. I have no inkling either way.

He had his chance to stand up to the President and he didn't.

I don't see how anyone can trust him going forward.

kaskade

God damn, this just keeps on giving. I would love for the Deputy AG to start a special investigation over this, then step down. That'd be the ultimate fuck you.

Paches

He got played. they threatened him in some way, or lied and said he wasn't going to be used as the excuse and then got used.

I completely agree, he should resign ASAP and say the WH used his name without his permission.

norm9

I'm guessing he's too shook to resign immediately, though I'm sure people are helping him weigh the pros and cons of sticking with/stickimg it to this admin tonight.

Wouldn't Jeff Sessions just appoint a far worse deputy?

Probably. But it'd be nice to see someone take a stand.

During Watergate the AG and DAG resigned rather than fire the special prosecutor on Nixon's order.

Fast forward to today and people threaten to quit after they bend over for POTUS

wandering

Banned
Willing to give him a couple of days for it to play out. He might actually be just as blindside by Trump's move as everyone else. Or he is a stooge. Or something inbetween.

During his confirmation hearing he was made out to be an upstanding straight shooter by the Democratic senators from Maryland, where he worked. So I'm guessing it's option one or three.

He had his chance to stand up to the President and he didn't.

I don't see how anyone can trust him going forward.

It's an easy thing for someone to tell someone else they should end their career. If I were him I'd need at least a few days to make some calls, etc.

It's nice to think any one of us would do the right thing and tell people to pound sand, but that doesn't pay the bills. Just looking at it from a ground-level view.

Maxim726X

Yeah I wonder if this story will force his hand.

At this point, it would look bad if he didn't.

teiresias

He should quit. Flat out. He's basically Trump's only out at this point.

No, he should go public with a statement and basically dare the WH to make this situation worse by dismissing him as well for telling the truth. Though, is the deputy an appointment or a civil servant and therefore can't just be summarily fired by Trump anyway?

otakukidd

The guy has had the job for less than a month. I can see him being a little reluctant to resign. But he so needs to. If he doesn't his reputation is destroyed. Shit career wise it would probably help him... Just not a government career. Lol

Magwik

Banned
The guy has had the job for less than a month. I can see him being a little reluctant to resign. But he so needs to. If he doesn't his reputation is destroyed. Shit career wise it would probably help him... Just not a government career. Lol

Nobody wants to be the fall guy for trying to cover up treason

David___

Banned
Since Sessions reccused himself then doesn't his deputy has the power to appoint a special prosecutor now? Cause if he does he should do that instead of quitting

malfcn

Assuming Comey deserved to be fired for all the reasons outlined in the letters.. NOW?

They thought now was the appropriate time?

No sense of tact or care to attempt and hide what they are doing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Assuming Comey deserved to be fired for all the reasons outlined in the letters.. NOW?

They thought now was the appropriate time?

No sense of tact or care to attempt and hide what they are doing.

The best part is they actually thought people were going to buy their excuse and any on the Left was gonna be happy about this.

AYF 001

I completely agree, he should resign ASAP and say the WH used his name without his permission.
I think it would be reasonable to let him wait until the end of the week. Give himself time to secure any info and have contingencies in place to prevent things from being swept under the rug.

In another timeline the GOP gathers together and begins the impeachment process with Paul Ryan saying, "Let's just do it and be legends."
I do not understand why there isn't some Republican having a "Mr. Smith" moment and realizing he can be a hero.
John McCain has a legendary temper.
John McCain once called his own wife a cunt in front of reporters.
[Rosenstein] threw himself under the bus when he signed that letter, no matter who told him to.
John Dean was a Nixon loyalist who only turned against the administration when he realized he was being set up as a fall guy. You ask people to fall on swords, you don't plant them in their path and try to trip them.

Our very own Saturday Night Massacre! Well, not exactly, but it definitely gives vibes.

W8D461B.png

Allard

Wouldn't Jeff Sessions just appoint a far worse deputy?

I know he has to get through just the republicans, but Sessions would need to appoint someone through the senate again, This guy was already confirmed through the senate once and we have had several senators who voted for him already openly state they regret that decision in light of last night. They are not going to be able to get an even worse lackey through at this point. They might try but the guy they nominate is going to get the scrutiny the likes of which haven't been seen since Nixon investigations. The best result we can have from this is if in a statement of self preservation he resigns in protest it would basically confirm the story peddled by the white house cannot be true. (Implication wise we know they are fucking with us already).

Balphon

It's an easy thing for someone to tell someone else they should end their career. If I were him I'd need at least a few days to make some calls, etc.

It's nice to think any one of us would do the right thing and tell people to pound sand, but that doesn't pay the bills. Just looking at it from a ground-level view.

I agree that this is far easier said than done, but this isn't even an unprecedented situation.

If Rosenstein had been DAG in 1973 he would have fired Archibald Cox. The standard of integrity for the office has been set and he didn't meet it.

Is Trump and Sessions getting together trying to figure out a way to fire Comey illegal?

I know its shady shit, I'm just talking on the legal front. Not a loaded question, I'm just wondering.

android

Theoretical Magician
So....I was just thinking about this....ok...mind blowing scenario. Trump is found to have possibly committed a crime of some sort. Who would actually arrest the president? Secret Service? Attorney General? An actual General? Or just some beat cop? There's gotta be a plan in writing for this kinda stuff, probably since after the Nixon era.

daveo42

Banned

It's been a single day. Give him till the end of the week at least. My guess is that he was unaware that the list of questionable actions by Comey would be used (and so quickly) to then fire him outright so quickly and during an active investigation.

pigeon

Banned
Is Trump and Sessions getting together trying to figure out a way to fire Comey illegal?

I know its shady shit, I'm just talking on the legal front. Not a loaded question, I'm just wondering.

If they did it in order to exert control over the Russia investigation, its obstruction of justice.

suaveric

So....I was just thinking about this....ok...mind blowing scenario. Trump is found to have possibly committed a crime of some sort. Who would actually arrest the president? Secret Service? Attorney General? An actual General? Or just some beat cop? There's gotta be a plan in writing for this kinda stuff, probably since after the Nixon era.

I think it would be FBI agents.

I agree that this is far easier said than done, but this isn't even an unprecedented situation.

If Rosenstein had been DAG in 1973 he would have fired Archibald Cox. The standard of integrity for the office has been set and he didn't meet it.

I still think he gets the benefit of another news cycle or so. Just my take. I don't know anything about his bio, what sort of family situation he is in. Am I assuming he will do the right thing? Yeah. He seemed to have a good rep before this.

This board isn't the best at letting things breathe for a bit. News just went public, which will probably force his hand a bit.

malfcn

The best part is they actually thought people were going to buy their excuse and any on the Left was gonna be happy about this.

Is just both hilarious and depressing how grade school it is being handled.

Should have fired Comey months ago if they thought he was that bad.

And the simple minds that thought the Dems would be happy. Sure he did damage during election time. But now he's doing damage to the other party.

The world used to respect the USA. Then the world hated the USA. Now the world laughs at the USA.

RDreamer

On the legal front it's pretty gray. It depends on Sessions' exact recusal. It could also possibly fall into obstruction of justice, but I think you have to prove that's why he wanted to remove Comey.

It would be the FBI and it would be crazy.

Balphon

I still think he gets the benefit of another news cycle or so. Just my take. I don't know anything about his bio, what sort of family situation he is in. Am I assuming he will do the right thing? Yeah. He seemed to have a good rep before this.

This board isn't the best at letting things breathe for a bit. News just went public, which will probably force his hand a bit.

Fair enough.

If time reveals that he's been hung out to dry in this I will gladly eat crow.

Barzul

@jonathanvswan 2m2 minutes ago
I can independently confirm reporting that President Trump has been sounding people out about removing Sean Spicer as Press Secretary. 1/2

@jonathanvswan 1m1 minute ago
The President feels his press team poorly served him yesterday. He believes it was incompetence on their part, not lack of time. 2/2

Dang no more Melissa McCartney

Posted yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/politics/comey-goodbye-letter/index.html

Former FBI Director James Comey, who was fired Tuesday by President Donald Trump, on Wednesday sent a letter to select FBI staff, friends and agents. Here is the text of that letter, which was obtained by CNN.

---

To all:
I have long believed that a President can fire an FBI Director for any reason, or for no reason at all. I'm not going to spend time on the decision or the way it was executed. I hope you won't either. It is done, and I will be fine, although I will miss you and the mission deeply.
I have said to you before that, in times of turbulence, the American people should see the FBI as a rock of competence, honesty, and independence. What makes leaving the FBI hard is the nature and quality of its people, who together make it that rock for America.
It is very hard to leave a group of people who are committed only to doing the right thing. My hope is that you will continue to live our values and the mission of protecting the American people and upholding the Constitution.
If you do that, you too will be sad when you leave, and the American people will be safer.
Working with you has been one of the great joys of my life. Thank you for that gift.
Jim Comey

Interesting.

daveo42

Banned
No, he should go public with a statement and basically dare the WH to make this situation worse by dismissing him as well for telling the truth. Though, is the deputy an appointment or a civil servant and therefore can't just be summarily fired by Trump anyway?

Trump firing him would make this look even worse as Trump's primary scapegoat. Basically, he should come forward with the reasons why he takes issue with how his comments on Comey were and are being used to validate Comey's early termination before resigning himself. Resignation in the face of this would go much farther in showing his non-partisan integrity that the GOP is currently showboating to make this all seem trivial, when this is a goddamn nightmare scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom