• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
How about quit whining and shit posting? We get it, there is a varying degree of credibility to every rumor reported. Doesnt mean they arent worthy of discussion or should be "banned". People need to learn how to be adults....
Uh, what? How about no?

Discrediting a forum that has a long history of drumming up completely false information and news is whining? NOPE. It's just letting people know not to feed into conspiracy nonsense that distracts from the insane news that's actually happening.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How about quit whining and shit posting? We get it, there is a varying degree of credibility to every rumor reported. Doesnt mean they arent worthy of discussion or should be "banned". People need to learn how to be adults....

How do you know?

Treating increasingly implausible conspiracy theories as being equally valid until specifically disproven (which they rarely can be) does a disservice to everyone trying to be rationally informed.

mackattk

Treating increasingly implausible conspiracy theories as being equally valid until specifically disproven (which they rarely can be) does a disservice to everyone trying to be rationally informed.

Also, this line of thinking is DIRECTLY responsible for Donald Trump to become president in the first place. Let that sink in. It isn't any better doing it on the left side than it is on the right side.

Mahonay

Banned
Ok I'm getting posts and stories mixed up in my head now.

FUCK I DON'T KNOW. Gonna wait until more unfolds. Obviously shit is happening.

When every dubious rumor is worthy of discussion, there's no room to discuss actual news. We can't let ourselves live in a world where everything is a conspiracy theory.

reddit is not a reputable source of any kind and has zero credibility.

Not posting garbage nonsense without confirmation from a credible source IS being an adult.

rambis

Banned
Uh, what? How about no?

Discrediting a forum that has a long history of drumming up completely false information and news is whining? NOPE. It's just letting people know not to feed into conspiracy nonsense that distracts from the insane news that's actually happening.
There's discrediting a forum and telling people to stop posting rumors. It is whining.

Nobody said anything about treating them equally valid.

There is some very interesting stuff in ProPublica and The New Yorker's account of the Comey firing and the investigation into Hillary's emails:

https://www.propublica.org/article/...ial&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1494530688

I'm just reading it through now, but it's details I hadn't seen put together before. Will add quotes as I read more, but it's pretty interesting so far.

Here's a snip, but it's a much much longer piece. not going to bold any particular parts because I'm still reading it:
Comey's announcement about the discovery of the new Clinton e-mails did break with written and unwritten Justice Department guidelines against interfering with elections. Last week, during testimony before Congress, Comey cast the move as a singularly difficult decision and an act of principled self-sacrifice, driven by events far beyond his control­­. ”I knew this would be disastrous for me personally," he said. ”But I thought this is the best way to protect these institutions that we care so much about.''

A close examination, however, of the F.B.I.'s handling of the Clinton e-mails reveals a very different narrative, one that was not nearly so clear-cut or inevitable. It is one that places previously undisclosed judgments and misjudgments by the Bureau at the very heart of what unfolded.

”I could see two doors and they were both actions," Comey recounted in testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee. ”One was labelled ‘speak'; the other was labelled ‘conceal.' . . . I stared at ‘speak' and ‘conceal.' ‘Speak' would be really bad. There's an election in eleven days—lordy, that would be really bad. Concealing, in my view, would be catastrophic, not just to the F.B.I. but well beyond. And, honestly, as between really bad and catastrophic, I said to my team, ‘We got to walk into the world of really bad.' I've got to tell Congress that we're restarting this, not in some frivolous way—in a hugely significant way."

But by the time Comey elected, on October 28th, to speak, rather than conceal, he and his senior aides had actually known for more than three weeks that agents sifting through files on a laptop belonging to the former congressman Anthony Weiner, as part of a sex-crimes investigation, had stumbled across e-mails sent by Clinton when she was Secretary of State. The agents had been unable, legally, to open the e-mails, because they fell outside the bounds of their investigation of Weiner.

F.B.I. officials kept the discovery to themselves. Without consulting or even informing the Justice Department lawyers who had worked on the e-mail inquiry, F.B.I. officials concluded that they lacked the evidence to seek a search warrant to examine the e-mails right away. Several legal experts and Justice Department officials I spoke to now say that this conclusion was unnecessarily cautious. F.B.I. officials also ruled out asking Weiner or his wife, Huma Abedin, one of Clinton's closest aides, to allow access to the laptop—permission their lawyers told me they would have granted.

Instead, New York agents working the Weiner investigation, which centered on allegations of an explicit online relationship with a fifteen-year-old girl, were told to continue their search of his laptop as before but to take note of any additional Clinton e-mails they came across.

In the days that followed, investigators slowly sorted through the laptop's contents, following standard protocols in a case that was anything but standard, and moving with surprisingly little dispatch to assess the significance of the e-mails.

After weeks of work, the agents concluded that the laptop contained thousands of Clinton messages, a fact they waited at least three more days to share with Comey. Finally, as Comey recounted before Congress last week, the F.B.I. director convened his top aides in his conference room at Bureau headquarters to weigh the political and institutional consequences of what to do next.

At this point, Comey and his deputies were venturing far beyond their typical purview as criminal investigators. Under normal circumstances, department policies discouraged public discussion of developments in ongoing cases of any kind; with the election fast approaching, there was the added sensitivity of avoiding even the perception of interference with the political process. But F.B.I. officials worried that agents in New York who disliked Clinton would leak news of the e-mails' existence. Like nearly everyone in Washington, senior F.B.I. officials assumed that Clinton would win the election, and were evaluating their options with that in mind. The prospect of oversight hearings, led by restive Republicans investigating an F.B.I. ”coverup," made everyone uneasy.

One more misjudgment informed Comey's decision. F.B.I. officials estimated that it would take months to review the e-mails. Agents wound up completing their work in just a few days. (Most of the e-mails turned out to be duplicates of messages collected in the previous phase of the Clinton investigation.) Had F.B.I. officials known that the review could be completed before the election, Comey likely wouldn't have said anything before examining the e-mails. Instead, he announced that nothing had changed in the Clinton case—on November 6th, just two days before the election, and after many millions had already cast their ballots in early voting.

It's much, much longer than this snip.

I'm a strong supporter of ProPublica and the work they do

Ponn

Banned
The best possible outcome of this is a bunch of rats start bailing from what they perceive to be a sinking ship and start talking and saving their own asses.

Dr.Acula

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.cc471d518c6a

WaPo is running with the FBI raid story now.

Federal authorities on Thursday searched a political consulting firm in Annapolis that has worked with Republican candidates nationwide and was sued in 2014 on allegations of fraudulent fundraising practices.

The Strategic Campaign Group bills itself as helping Republican candidates for every step of a campaign. Its principals are GOP strategists Kelley Rogers and Chip O’Neil.

Rogers said in an interview that FBI agents had collected documents related to the firm’s direct mail and fundraising practices.

Jackpot

Banned
How about quit whining and shit posting? We get it, there is a varying degree of credibility to every rumor reported. Doesnt mean they arent worthy of discussion or should be "banned".

That's exactly what it means.

You're literally arguing that a piece of news' credibility should have no impact on its worth, even when right in this thread fake news has derailed discussion and muddied the waters. No wonder fake news is so pervasive. smh.

holy fuck is this true tho

ties to manafort and roger stone

edit: this is not reddit rumor worthy if it can be verified on wikipedia and other sources

itshappening.gif

Gonna quote myself from the raid thread.

Lonewulfeus said:
They have a disbursement listed from the Trump Victory PAC for $13,208.34 for consulting services on 8/19/16. That week manafort resigned. Is it coincidence? Pay off for something? Who knows?!

(This is all wild speculation obvs)

https://beta.fec.gov/data/disbursem...paign&min_date=01/01/2015&max_date=12/31/2016

Ogodei

If a GOP fundraising outfit was working with Manafort's group then there is a better than 50/50 shot that tainted money crossed over, if not mass infusions of Silovarch dark money.

Spladam

tumblr_inline_opqgkmxLLR1qzl4rv_540.png

Oh man that speedrun post is good. Also, LOL.
I don't get it
I refer you to this link: Smokey and The Bandit

These reddit posts y'all are posting are getting me hard, but man it's all bullshit until something remotely reputable posts it. Let's chill on reddit posts.

Agreed. Remember, Reddit investigators identified the Boston Marathon Bombers, the internet doxxed and attacked them, NYPost published their photos on their cover, they were labelled terrorists, ruined their lives for weeks and ... Reddit was wrong... they were victims of the bombing, not the perpetrators.

Yep. Still hard to tell if it's just connected to their 2014 issues, or something new and and related to Trump/Russia.

Hopefully it's something concrete and adds to the investigation in a real way. Going to be bummed if it's not connected.

Everything is connected to Trump and Russia. Just wait. The systemic institutional corruption of the GOP and how they've compromised themselves through their dealing with dirty and illegal money is a vast web and #russiagate is but one piece.

Don't know if this was posted already:

White House: Removing Comey will help bring Russia investigation to end
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/polit...tion-russia-sarah-huckabee-sanders/index.html

Good to see they're not hiding their real reason anymore

I've got some bad news for them.

rambis

Banned

Not posting garbage nonsense without confirmation from a credible source IS being an adult.
What? Reddit is a public forum. Its literally the same as twitter or facebook in a different format. There are credible sources there just as there is elsewhere.

Oh wow. So now do I officially have permission to discuss this?

That's exactly what it means.

You're literally arguing that a piece of news' credibility should have no impact on its worth, even when right in this thread fake news has derailed discussion and muddied the waters. No wonder fake news is so pervasive. smh.
This has nothing to do with the news' crediblity. People were shrugging off the local reporter because she wasnt on CNN and telling people to stop discussing the news. Thats annoying as fuck.

Also what fake news? The latest story has not only been confirmed but is being corroborated by others.

Mahonay

Banned
Everything is connected to Trump and Russia. Just wait. The systemic institutional corruption of the GOP and how they've compromised themselves through their dealing with dirty and illegal money is a vast web and #russiagate is but one piece.
At this point, with all of the evidence already at hand, stuff that wasn't even hidden, it's hard not to think it's something on that level.

Unison

Discrediting leaks in this situation is ridiculous.

Leaks to bloggers and reddit and mainstream media got us this far.

A good posting practice would to cite your sources, perhaps explain that certain things need to be taken with a grain of salt... But there have been stories leaking ahead of the MSM that have proven to be true and that lend context to what does appear in the MSM.

KoopaTheCasual

How do you know?
Lol, we're the ones shitposting? Ok.

Until any credible sources backs up the fanfic being thrown around the thread, it's not worth the time and energy of gaffers actually trying to stay informed.

Edit: And you had permission to post about the raid the second it was reported by local press and we had pictures to back it up. Stop being dense.

Nah, it's a pretty good idea to be skeptical of leaks unless they're corroborated by reports from reputable sources. Especially the reddit crap getting tossed around.

The way this administration is leaking something is bound to reach a reputable source if it's legitimate news.

Sapiens

No offence to Neogaf - I love gaf - but I read more posts from developers, artists and a wider range of people in multiple industries than I do here.

I have a higher chance of getting interesting info from industry types on reddit.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Why am I not surprised to see Hannity in all caps and red on their site...

Mahonay

Banned

A good posting practice would to cite your sources, perhaps explain that certain things need to be taken with a grain of salt... But there have been stories leaking ahead of the MSM that have proven to be true and that lend context to what does appear in the MSM.
I feel like news is coming at us so fast right now, that it impedes on people getting the confirmed story when you introduce some of these 99 percent unverified stories. There's a reason professional reporters and journalists exist. To vet their stories and verify sources.

When you present one over the other, you get the kind of "FAKE NEWS" insanity that is really undermining reporting and journalism in general.

It's fine (good!) for these leaks and stories to exist. The average person knows they can go to Reddit and read them. But I don't think it serves a thread talking about news stories actively unfolding. It gets very easy to confuse theories with confirmed news stories when the posts start being treated equally.

gutshot

What? Reddit is a public forum. Its literally the same as twitter or facebook in a different format. There are credible sources there just as there is elsewhere.

Oh wow. So now do I officially have permission to discuss this?

This has nothing to do with the news' crediblity. People were shrugging off the local reporter because she wasnt on CNN and telling people to stop discussing the news. Thats annoying as fuck.

Also what fake news? The latest story has not only been confirmed but is being corroborated by others.

You are conflating two different stories that have been posted in here. The one from Reddit, which originally comes from known conspiracy theorist Louise Mensch and has been posted in here many times already and is now being posted again via Reddit, and the one about the FBI raid happening today in Annapolis. No one is doubting the veracity of the FBI raid story.

rambis

Banned
Nah, it's a pretty good idea to be skeptical of leaks unless they're corroborated by reports from reputable sources. Especially the reddit crap getting tossed around.

The way this administration is leaking something is bound to reach a reputable source if it's legitimate news.
Skeptical yes. Telling people to stop posting or discussing them is stupid and insults people's intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom