• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unison

I feel like news is coming at us so fast right now, that it impedes on people getting the confirmed story when you introduce some of these 99 percent unverified stories. There's a reason professional reporters and journalists exist. To vet their stories and verify sources.

When you present one over the other, you get the kind of "FAKE NEWS" insanity that is really undermining reporting and journalism in general.

It's fine (good!) for these leaks and stories to exist. The average person knows they can go to Reddit and read them. But I don't think it serves a thread talking about news stories actively unfolding. It gets very easy to confuse theories with confirmed news stories when the posts start being treated equally.

I trust Claude Taylor and Mensch more than the WH at this point, which is sad.

megalowho

No offence to Neogaf - I love gaf - but I read more posts from developers, artists and a wider range of people in multiple industries than I do here.

I have a higher chance of getting interesting info from industry types on reddit.
This isn't a pissing contest. This is a fast moving thread and people dropping in whatever bullshit surfaces on the internet only muddies the waters and makes it more difficult to discern facts from noise.

Mahonay

Banned
9WAS2AY.png

I love how different angles journalism can have :p
Speaking of Fake News. Lol.

Nether!

This whole thing is unbelievable.
I can't stop following every update.
Need to get offline or I'll spend the whole day glued to it.

wandering

Banned
No offence to Neogaf - I love gaf - but I read more posts from developers, artists and a wider range of people in multiple industries than I do here.

I have a higher chance of getting interesting info from industry types on reddit.

Neither reddit not GAF is a credible source, really.

This whole thing is unbelievable.
I can't stop following every update.
Need to get offline or I'll spend the whole day glued to it.

It's like a Wikipedia black hole. At 8am you're looking up who the leader of Namibia is and you realize it's 3:30p and you just finished reading an article about James Mason.

rambis

Banned
You are conflating two different stories that have been posted in here. The one from Reddit, which originally comes from known conspiracy theorist Louise Mensch and has been posted in here many times already and is now being posted again via Reddit, and the one about the FBI raid happening today in Annapolis. No one is doubting the veracity of the FBI raid story.
What are you talking about? People were doubting the raid story. The reddit post is unrelated. Maybe you are conflating things.

As mentioned previously, here's the letter from 20 state AGs calling for an independent special counsel. And it's led by my AG MOTHERFUCKERS.

http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/ag-multistate-letter-to-deputy-ag-rosenstein-5-11-17.pdf

Signed by Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, Virginia, Iowa, DC, Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, California, Hawaii, Maine, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Delaware, Washington, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Washington.

Hot damn...

What? Reddit is a public forum. Its literally the same as twitter or facebook in a different format. There are credible sources there just as there is elsewhere.

And personally I am no fan of posting tweets either, but most of the referred tweets are by known reporters of some credible value, not the average John Doe.

If the reddit post goes to an actual credible who said X, then just post that. Do not assume that a secondary source is somehow legit, ever.

And if you believe everything on your Facebook feed, then you have a serious problem.

you're now comparing subreddits moderated by actual professionals to a general board moderated by enthusiasts whereas the subreddits referred to are an even more general free-for-all, so this is a side tangent to the issue.

Unfortunately reddit varies waaay too much per subreddit. If I wanted info on astrophysics I would be content to go there (though personally I go for the source either way), but politics is a free for all with everyone, so you can't put your trust in that. That's what the actual journalists in traditional media are for: cutting through all the bullshit and getting facts from primary sources.

Signed by Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, Virginia, Iowa, DC, Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, California, Hawaii, Maine, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Delaware, Washington, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Washington.

Hot damn...

I'm legit surprised NC is on there after all the shit their state has been pulling lately.

Mark L

Hot damn...

Well now that's strange.... where are most of the midwestern and southern states?

9WAS2AY.png

I love how different angles journalism can have :p

Not even their worst of the day. From that same article:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...linton-angered-some-agents-defends-comey.html

McCabe also denied reports that Comey had requested more resources for the Russia probe in the days leading up to his termination, with McCabe saying he believes the probe to be “adequately resourced” and adding that normally the FBI will not request resources for a single investigation.

His exact testimony on this issue is at 1 hour, 42 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgdzH9d-JO0

He says he is "not aware" of a request by Comey for additional resources.

To Fox News, McCabe's lack of knowledge on the issue is the same as a denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom