• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Rogers actually seems to be a not-terrible candidate even though he was involved with the Trump campaign (but got pushed out and has been saying the right things publicly)....but being involved w/ the Trump campaign in any way shape or form makes it impossible for you to take the FBI position given the active investigation.

gazele

Banned
Does the new FBI chief need 60 or 50 votes in the senate?

If its Cornyn, won't there only be 51 republicans in the senate for the vote?

Jisgsaw

Given our control over the US financial system and accordingly its assets, given all the intelligence tools at our disposal...do you believe Donald Trump has access to the nuclear codes, is giving commencement speeches, is throwing out executive orders, signing legislation, and talking to foreign leaders while guilty of treasonous collusion? If he's been POTUS for nearly 4 months and that's the case then think through the implications.

That's what sane people are doing, and why Trump's actiuons trhis week have been a big fucking deal, and should be adressed.

Seriously, you are exactly making the case for why an independant investigation should definitively happen.

Nafai1123

Banned
No shit it shouldn't be a politician. FBI director is not a political office. Why the fuck do you think Obama (stupidly) appointed a Republican?

Slime

Banned
It doesn't really matter whether it's a politician or not at this point. Trump was always going to appoint someone he feels is loyal and will kill the investigation. With Comey gone, we just have to make peace with the fact that the investigation is effectively stalled until at least after the next presidential election.

Kusagari

The choice will be awful anyway, so I don't really care about Cornyn. However, Gowdy cannot be allowed to take that position. Would be a catastrophe.

Got an honorary Ph.D. At Liberty University for giving a commencement speech.

https://twitter.com/Jhauganiii/status/863402493786685440

C_trzJrV0AER8_2.jpg

BCU should be happy at least. Liberty was able to beat them for having the worst commencement speaker of the year.

Nobody likes Liberty at all. They're having to schedule the same team twice in the same season just to fill their football schedule this year.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'd like for Trump to nominate someone who's so colossally inappropriate that the name "Harriet Miers" gets tossed around for comparison.

cameron

Politco said:
Will Trump Be the First to Politicize the FBI?
Yes.

It doesn't really matter whether it's a politician or not at this point. Trump was always going to appoint someone he feels is loyal and will kill the investigation. With Comey gone, we just have to make peace with the fact that the investigation is effectively stalled until at least after the next presidential election.
Why do you believe the investigation is effectively stalled? The investigation is too large to be killed by any high ranking Trump appointed FBI stooge.

norm9

I watched a documentary on President James Garfield yesterday on Amazon. Can't believe Trump has been in office longer than him. Garfield wanted to get rid of corruption in Washington, went against the New York Senator (who was the most powerful person in Washington at the time), believed that the northerners were wrong in not having troops in the South to keep southern whites from enacting terror on black people, AND most importantly, didn't even want to be president; he was thrust into the position because of how popular he was and the ideas he shared about a better america. Killed because there was no security around the president even though Lincoln was shot just twenty years beforehand. smh. All the while, Trump is still there.

No shit it shouldn't be a politician. FBI director is not a political office. Why the fuck do you think Obama (stupidly) appointed a Republican?

Eh Comey was and still is a good choice. He was chosen because of his prosecutorial and investigative background. As well, he testified against AG Alberto Gonzales despite being the deputy AG.

Slime

Banned
Yes.

Why do you believe the investigation is effectively stalled? The investigation is too large to be killed by any high ranking Trump appointed FBI stooge.

If not stalled, then irreperably compromised. I can't envision a situation where Trump's stooge doesn't use their authority to damage and hinder the investigation in every way possible, and there's nothing anyone can do about that until Trump is out of office.

If it's Gawdy than there should be a riot.

There wasn't a riot when Comey was fired. Have there even been any significant mass protests since the Women's March and Muslim ban?

If not stalled, then irreperably compromised. I can't envision a situation where Trump's stooge doesn't use their authority to damage and hinder the investigation in every way possible, and there's nothing anyone can do about that until Trump is out of office.

And what's Trump and his FBI crony gonna do when the FBI takes Comey's side and refuses to stop investigating? They can't fire the entire FBI and it's looking like pretty much the entire FBI (minus the NY Criminal Field Office) is more loyal to Comey than Trump.

It's the same reason Trump can't do jack shit about all the leaks of his administration.

Slime

Banned
And what's Trump and his FBI crony gonna do when the FBI takes Comey's side and refuses to stop investigating? They can't fire the entire FBI and it's looking like pretty much the entire FBI (minus the NY Criminal Field Office) is more loyal to Comey than Trump.

Maybe I don't understand how the FBI is structured. Does the Director not have the authority to move employees around, hire even more stooges, restructure departments, close investigations, etc.? Everything else Trump has done has been blatant and brazen. Why are we so confident the FBI is safe from that, even if a significant segment of it is loyal to Comey?

If they think he's fucking with the investigation, then other governments and the media will just get a massive anonymous infodump

Who do you think keeps backhanding him every time something positive comes out from his camp

Maybe I don't understand how the FBI is structured. Does the Director not have the authority to move employees around, hire even more stooges, restructure departments, close investigations, etc.? Everything else Trump has done has been blatant and brazen. Why are we so confident the FBI is safe from that, even if a significant segment of it is loyal to Comey?

Because we haven't seen that shit happening with the IC in spite of Trump's best efforts to try and make that happen.

Nixon didn't just go down due to his paranoia, a democratic congress, and a persistent press. Nixon went down because there were a shitload of people in the White House who were not loyal to Nixon and Nixon wouldn't have been able to fire them all.

If they think he's fucking with the investigation, then other governments and the media will just get a massive anonymous infodump

Who do you think keeps backhanding him every time something positive comes out from his camp

Not just other governments, but the White House itself has a shitload of leakers because Trump is not a leader that inspires loyalty.

If Trump was the kind of guy who was good at making friends out of enemies, then I would worry, but so far all that Trump has done is make himself more and more enemies.

Like I am serious when I ask what is Trump gonna do when hundreds of FBI employees refuse to stop investigating this shit.

What is Trump gonna do when he realizes that nearly every high ranking IC member is secretly leaking shit to the press?

What is Trump gonna do when people in his White House that he thought he could trust end up leaking the "Trump White House Tapes"?

Shoeless

It's the same reason Trump can't do jack shit about all the leaks of his administration.

Does Trump have any legal power to simply shut down the FBI, or dismiss people and then not hire replacements? If we safely assume Trump doesn't actually care about the FBI stopping domestic problems, and is more concerned with shutting down the investigation, could he actually take steps to simply empty it out and leave it that way?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think a very likely scenario for folks want the investigation unsullied is rapid movement on public facing stuff like raids to create enough pressure for Republicans to cave in and start some baseline normalization or at least fret more about midterms and seats.

This activity has already made Trump panic a little

Iolo

Look, do you really believe Donald Trump himself colluded with Russian officials to torpedeo the career of Hillary Clinton and has been POTUS for nearly 4 months? Despite all the flags you see...do you really believe he wouldn't be arrested right on the spot at any true red flag? That Pres. Obama's administration would hand over the keys to the US presidency to a Russian operative...

I hope Trump latches onto this line of argument on Twitter.

Hypocritical Dems know I didn't "collude" with Russians because Obama (sick guy) would have me arrested on the spot!

Does Trump have any legal power to simply shut down the FBI, or dismiss people and then not hire replacements? If we safely assume Trump doesn't actually care about the FBI stopping domestic problems, and is more concerned with shutting down the investigation, could he actually take steps to simply empty it out and leave it that way?

Think about what would happen if Trump literally tried to strangle the FBI in such a way.

If Trump actually tried that shit, all he would be doing is guaranteeing that the FBI treats Trump as their #1 enemy. As in the FBI would start treating Trump as a bigger threat than domestic terrorists.

Making your own staff into enemies is one of the biggest reasons that Nixon went down.

Guy.brush

So was the FBI raids at the GOP fundraising firm a shot across the bow telling the GOP to stop covering for Trump no matter what to free the path for impeachment hearings?
Or was it really evidence gathering for a RICO case against the GOP as a body?

The suggested power struggle in the background feels immense.
Mensch's suggestion that the first three in the line of succession are already out is absolutely nuts. I can't believe that at all even though she was right on some things in the past. Maybe she is taken for a ride by forces that want to put more fuel to the fire?

This is good. If Trump does not follow their endorsement, then it makes him look more guilty, and pisses off the IC even more.
* They nominated him last time as well
* He was accused of being a partisan liar last go around doubt that has changed
* The agents association are probably a politically active group who do not actually poll all their members on what they think, but instead claim to speak for them.

gazele

Banned
So was the FBI raids at the GOP fundraising firm a shot across the bow telling the GOP to stop covering for Trump no matter what to free the path for impeachment hearings?

Mensch's suggestion that the first three in the line of succession are already out is absolutely nuts. I can't believe that at all even though she was right on some things in the past. Maybe she is taken for a ride by forces that want to put more fuel to the fire?

It just seems to good to be true (for those of us who want Trump removed from office)

and when it's too good to be true it usually is

Shoeless

Think about what would happen if Trump literally tried to strangle the FBI in such a way.

If Trump actually tried that shit, all he would be doing is guaranteeing that the FBI treats Trump as their #1 enemy. As in the FBI would start treating Trump as a bigger threat than domestic terrorists.

Making your own staff into enemies is one of the biggest reasons that Nixon went down.

Yeah, but in the current political climate, wouldn't Trump have far more support to do this than Nixon did? The Republicans themselves control the majority of government and no longer seem to care about getting re-elected, since they're basically leaving many Trump supporters to die with changes to healthcare, and many Trump supporters themselves are willing to burn democracy down as long as immigrants and democrats get hurt in the process. When you add onto that that Fox controls the majority of mindshare in news distribution and is essentially state controlled media at this point, you have a recipe for actually getting away with it.

I'm just wondering if he actually has the legal power to do so. At this point, I have no questions about how he would succeed if he could actually do it. It seems like a depressingly large amount of American people and American government want to get rid of democracy anyway and switch back over to a monarchy.

It was unrelated to Trump. Has to do with a lawsuit against that firm by the Ken Cuccinelli campaign.

So FBI Agents Assoc. recommends Mike Rogers eh?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/03/meet-donald-trump-s-top-fbi-fanboy?

Along with Giuliani’s other connections to New York FBI agents, his former law firm, then called Bracewell Giuliani, has long been general counsel to the FBI Agents Association (FBIAA), which represents 13,000 former and current agents.

More like Rudy recommends Mike Rogers.

That's just the story from the company's president, not the FBI. The firm has ties to Roger Stone and Paul Manafort, which is quite a coincidence.

Also set up 2 PACs for John Bolton, the top donor in both was Cambridge Analytica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom