• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Whatever you do don't go on twitter. The trump supporters are overjoyed. He has drained the swamp and now Hillary will finally go to jail like he promised. That's what they're all saying anyway.

Just ugh.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Start working on getting Democrats elected in 2018 on a local level, a Democratically controlled congress will move quickly toward impeachment and lord knows that party needs as much help as it can get for midterm elections.

Or, y'know, we could all just post "HE WON. HE GOT AWAY WITH IT. NOTHING WILL COME OF THIS. INCREASINGLYNERVOUSMAN.JPG" for the 10,000,000th time.
Also there are local elections happening now. Right now. 2017. Dems need a bench and local government resistance is huge

Megasoum

Banned
Eyt0f1e.png

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/862076529626537984

What a Maverick!

Jackpot

Banned
That's not what he said and you know it.

Saying "This is the start of Dictator Trump and the US will be like this for foreseeable future" is just as hyperbolic as saying "Comey will get Trump arrested tomorrow and everything will be fine"

No, Trump won't get fired tomorrow. But this also isn't the end of the Russia investigation.

That isn't what he said and you know it.

He wasn't railing against hyperbole like "America is now a dictatorship on par with North Korea". He was throwing a tantrum against 'the "nothing-will-come-from-this" crowd'.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=236280468#post236280468

Because that's what he literally said in his post.

Sean C

Why in the ever living fuck does the president have power over who is the FBI head anyway? It's probably the dumbest, most conflicting authority they have.
Because the Constitution gives the President complete power over the executive branch. It's virtually impossible to create executive agencies independent of direct presidential control as a result -- the few that exist (the Federal Reserve, for instance) have to have board structures as opposed to a single director.

pigeon

Banned
The context of it is bad, and it could lead to terrible things. There's no denying that. And Trump is obviously guilty and is trying to cover it up. But claiming the act itself of firing Comey is the act of a dictator is objectively false considering every president prior to Trump has had that same ability.

No president has ever fired the FBI director while being investigated by the FBI.

Or, you should grow up and accept that we don't have to act like everything is okay when it's clearly fucking not.

There is a very real chance that this investigation is completely dead, and Trump will get away with everything.

Okay, it's not okay. I accept that it's not okay.

Now - what happens next?

Not sure what I'd do if they kill off the investigation...

I'd like to believe theres 100% no way that could possibly happen, but if feels like we've been saying that line for the last 6 months straight :(

Primus

Come get me when Democratic Senators and Reps start calling out Republicans by name, in public, for not having the stones to put country above party.

Until then, nothing will even get close to happening.

EDIT:

Shit like this:

I want Schumer and co. to be asking every journo near them if they've seen McCain's balls. Enough of this elder statesman politeness.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If the Russian investigation is closed immediately after this, that should finally raise some un-risen eyebrows right?

sangreal

If we had a functioning government, they'd strip the power to fire the FBI Director from Presidents in the future

I don't know anything.

What happened and why is this a big deal?

Thanks in advance

Trump fired the head of the FBI because the head of the FBI is investigating him

That's not what he said and you know it.

Saying "This is the start of Dictator Trump and the US will be like this for foreseeable future" is just as hyperbolic as saying "Comey will get Trump arrested tomorrow and everything will be fine"

No, Trump won't get fired tomorrow. But this also isn't the end of the Russia investigation.
At this point, I'm just not seeing how it won't be. Trump appoints some stooge to replace Comey, the R's in the Senate, who are already just following the talking points the White House spat out, will just force the person through regardless of how transparent it is. The Investigations in the House and the Senate, which were already complete jokes, become even more so now that Comey's gone and thus there's even less pressure to give a fuck and make it look like they're doing anything at all and so those go nowhere, whereas Trump's stooge in the FBI just works on destroying the evidence and covering everything up. The D's retake the House in 2018, but even then, because of Trump's stooge, a lot of the evidence/existing work is gone and they have to start from scratch, which will probably be even harder to do than with Comey because there's no way whoever he rams in will even attempt to cooperate with those investigations at all and will just make the lives of the Democrat-lead committee in House hell.

I want to be wrong, but I just don't see how this doesn't completely kill it. =/

BriGuy

I feel like I'm watching democracy and the United States of America die in front of my eyes and I'm powerless to do anything about it.

wandering

Banned
What in the fuck. Refuse to pay your ducking taxes. Get out on the street and smash a fucking Starbucks window already.

This is insane, you're all sat there thumbing your bum holes.

Write your congress and senator to force a shut down ffs.

He's going to take you to war soon.

Calm down

RinsFury

Leaving the US is probably the only way out now, or suicide. I don't really see anything good left anymore.

I would be lying if I said the thought had not crossed my mind since last November, but we can't give in like that. There will be a light at the end of this darkness.

No president has ever fired the FBI director while being investigated by the FBI.

And that's why I say he's obviously guilty. I'm not arguing that.

But he is not a dictator. Not yet. And it'd be better if people actually fought to prevent that (call your representatives, march, donate to groups like the ACLU) as opposed to screaming about the sky falling and acting like we've already lost.

Fuck you McCain, any good will you built during your career in the military has been washed down the drain. You're gonna defend a fucking president who fires the FBI director thats investigating him? Just because he has a fucking (R) next to his name? Fuck you.

Also there are local elections happening now. Right now. 2017. Dems need a bench and local government resistance is hige

Exactly. On a local level the resistance is only getting bigger. The defeatists should take their negative energy and channel it in the direction of helping getting as many Democrats as possible, volunteering and donating to their campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom