• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

Okay, it's not okay. I accept that it's not okay.

Now - what happens next?

... Stop believing in fucking fairy tails?

No, there is going to be no independent investigation. Yes, the FBI investigation is now dead.

What happens next? Nothing. Trump is president for the next 3.5 years, that's what.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
98QW5Xt.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Because the Constitution gives the President complete power over the executive branch. It's virtually impossible to create executive agencies independent of direct presidential control as a result -- the few that exist (the Federal Reserve, for instance) have to have board structures as opposed to a single director.

Does make me wonder if the FBI could work with a board or commission.

Remember, the end game is Putinism. Trump sees himself as the US's Putin. He admires 'strongmen' type authoritarian figures. I mean that literally- this is a new America. It's going to be different. Don't expect normalcy.

There will be no repercussions for anything he does. There never has been. It's not going to start now that he's President.

sangreal

....i always assumed he would fire him. Why are people surprised?

I don't think surprised is the right word. Yeah, most people know Trump is corrupt

The thing is though, he had the chance to fire him without controversy months ago and announced he wasn't going to do so. Now that Comey is getting closer to him, he changed his mind and that is suspect as hell

Joey Ravn

Banned
Could somebody briefly explain the implications and consequences of this for someone like me, who is vaguely familiar with American politics but doesn't have the in-depth knowledge to fully understand the situation?

In other words, tl;dr, please?

Yamauchi

Banned
That's not what he said and you know it.

Saying "This is the start of Dictator Trump and the US will be like this for foreseeable future" is just as hyperbolic as saying "Comey will get Trump arrested tomorrow and everything will be fine"

No, Trump won't get fired tomorrow. But this also isn't the end of the Russia investigation.
I don't think so. Comey did the dirty work for Trump and now he's gone. The Republicans are lining up in support of this move and they control the US federal government. This has the signs of a nascent dictatorship.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol this mother fucker had no shame. I knew nothing would come off this Russia thing. I knew trump would nuke him eventually.

We all Fucked. Let's just accept and move past the denial stage. We have a dictator as president and he's going to Fuck us every day for the next 8 years.

Calm down

You guys have a Russian plant in the oval office who is gonna bring a shill into the FBI to investigate him.

I mean what is gonna make you riot at this point.

If this was South Korea they would of gone ducking ballistic. Or Romania.

Bur yeah posting on gaf is the best way.

pigeon

Banned
And that's why I say he's obviously guilty. I'm not arguing that.

But he is not a dictator. Not yet.

What distinction are you drawing here?

Dictators generally claim that their dictatorial powers derive from their constitutional position as ratified by the popular vote. <benjipwns>Just ask Abraham Lincoln!</benjipwns>

And it'd be better if people actually fought to prevent that (call your representatives, march, donate to groups like the ACLU) as opposed to screaming about the sky falling and acting like we've already lost.

I think screaming about the end of democracy is probably part of resisting the end of democracy.

I don't think surprised is the right word. Yeah, most people know Trump is corrupt

The thing is though, he had the chance to fire him without controversy months ago and announced he wasn't going to do so. Now that Comey is getting closer to him, he changed his mind and that is suspect as hell

There really never was a good time to fire him but firing him after taking office would have looked a lot better. Remember Pee Pee tape rumor came out the weekend before inauguration.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The context of it is bad, and it could lead to terrible things. There's no denying that. And Trump is obviously guilty and is trying to cover it up. But claiming the act itself of firing Comey is the act of a dictator is objectively false considering every president prior to Trump has had that same ability.

They may have had the authority to do it but they didn't have the mindset of a dictator needed to fire the person who is heading the investigation into them. We need to call this spade a spade.

louiedog

Tiffany finally tired of being ignored?

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it. lol

What if Tiffany, fed up with all of this but close enough to get some real dirt, ends up bringing it all down in the end?

Malvolio

You guys have a Russian plant in the oval office who is gonna bring a shill into the FBI to investigate him.

I mean what is gonna make you riot at this point.

If this was South Korea they would of gone ducking ballistic. Or Romania.

Bur yeah posting on gaf is the best way.

But isn't there a new iPhone coming out? Can't we wait until after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom