• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Please, the president's letter firing Comey and Sessions letter to the WH outlining the rationale are at odds with each other. They made an oopsie.

I'm amazed that you think Trump wouldn't realize that firing Comey would piss off Democrats. I'm not going to say signals weren't crossed in the obviously fast attempt to get rid of Comey while he was out of town, but give me a break.

Can we just calm down and discuss the concequences of this on Trump and the rest of the country? From my prospective Comey was fired due to the investigation on Trump, but is he legally allowed to do that? What are the implications without screaming oh shit?
Yes, it's legal, and yes, that's dumb. And even if it weren't legal, impeaching him or doing anything about it at all would require control of Congress, with both houses currently being controlled by Republicans so that's a non-starter. The House has a chance if flipping next year, but the Senate none and w/o both houses impeachment is a non-starter.

The obvious implications are that Trump's trying to derail the investigations, bit as to what comes next or what can be done about it... Unfortunately, that pretty much comes down to elections and hoping the makeup of Congress changes so Dem's can try and get some shit done, but not much immediately. There will be a lot of buzz around this for the moment, which will die down until midterms, where stuff like this will get brought up again and cause a Dem wave in the House and hope that leads to something but that's a ways off. 'Til then don't see much happening.

ezrarh

Just how ludicrous does this have to get, before republicans admit this is a farce and do something about it?

Does Donald Trump have to skull fuck a statue of Reagan or something? Jerk off on the bible?

By "doing something about the farce" you mean declaring the Democratic party and democracy irrelevant?

You have a weird bugbear about leftists who are really secretly alt-righters, though. Just the other day you accused me of having friends who fit that description, which is a very roundabout way of saying my posts are kinda alt-righty, which is nonsense.

Not really. That was me saying that you have friends who are likely alt-right, considering you were defending Tulsi Gabbard. In fact I explicitly said in said post that I know you aren't alt-right.

Dr.Acula

Banned
As exhausting as the "nothing will come of this" crowd can be...

The House of Representatives has the sole power of impeaching, while the United States Senate has the sole power to try all impeachments.

Unless people get out and vote, and the heavily gerrymandered Senate House flips... nothing may come of this. I don't see Trump losing the confidence of the GoP, bizarrely.

Still laughable how you think nothing is going to come of all this.

Explain to me how this will happen, the Republicans control the house who would even begin any process of an impeachment, the Supreme Court is conservative, the FBI director is going to be handpicked by Trump, so explain to me how Trump is going to get punished?

As exhausting as the "nothing will come of this" crowd can be...

Unless people get out and vote, and the heavily gerrymandered Senate flips... nothing may come of this. I don't see Trump losing the confidence of the GoP, bizarrely.

You can't gerrymander the Senate or any statewide election.

kirblar

You have a weird bugbear about leftists who are really secretly alt-righters, though. Just the other day you accused me of having friends who fit that description, which is a very roundabout way of saying my posts are kinda alt-righty, which is nonsense.
The place where the extreme left and right overlap is on racism, antisemitism, etc. It's why people can flip easily from one extreme to the other- if they're actually valuing and voting on the "social" side rather than the economic, they're ripe for the pickings.

Unless people get out and vote, and the heavily gerrymandered Senate flips... nothing may come of this. I don't see Trump losing the confidence of the GoP, bizarrely.

It's impossible to Gerrymander the Senate. Senators are chosen via popular vote from the entire state. The House on the other hand is gerrymandered as fuck.

jviggy43

Just how ludicrous does this have to get, before republicans admit this is a farce and do something about it?

Does Donald Trump have to skull fuck a statue of Reagan or something? Jerk off on the bible?

They will never do anything about this. Not until there is something concrete that would destroy the party.

Explain to me how this will happen, the Republicans control the house who would even begin any process of an impeachment, the Supreme Court is conservative, the FBI director is going to be handpicked by Trump, so explain to me how Trump is going to get punished?

Oh for fucks sake. Are you still going with the notion that there is a binary outcome here of either:

A: Trump is impeached and removed from office or
B: Nothing happens.

Are you still going with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom