• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
I can believe that the white house didn't expect the blow-back to this to be big. They are a pretty incompetent most of the time after all.

It's just their play. Pretend to be innocent and imply this had everything to do with Hillary.

They knew exactly what they were doing and what the blowback would be.

WedgeX

Banned
I like the photo they used for that story. Gave me an idea to properly express how I am feeling right now trying to absorb this news.

1oqmhn.jpg

You think FBI agents generally want their pictures in the news?

pigeon

Banned
You know, to respond narrowly to your point, we don't have the most reliable test of what really is impeachable. "High crimes and misdemeanors" doesn't mean "felonies and misdemeanors" like what's on the books. It's true that very few presidents actually faced trial by the Senate, but who is to say Trump couldn't possibly be impeached over this if this is proved to be an abuse of his power?

Congress can impeach the president for literally anything if they want to call it a high crime.

Andrew Johnson had several articles of impeachment drawn up against him that were not felonies. One of them was making speeches with the intent to show disrespect for Congress!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What kind of thought process was used to make this decision?

Answer: none

You couldn't have timed this worse

I'm getting less and less confident in the idea that Comey was smart enough to have any sort of contingency plan.
There's a big difference between knowing that something could happen and expecting that something to happen. Natural disasters can be shocking, but there are still contingency plans for them.

trying to remain calm and not post to much, this'll be my last post of the night. (i gotta get my finals done, but i feel like im a political alcohilic)

this is all extremely interesting, especially now that the subpoenas have been confirmed by cnn. There always seems to be breaking news on friday, and its only tuesday. If the past few hours is any indication, this week is going to be a rollercoaster.

korona15

Banned
FBI director serves at the pleasure of the president . He can't be impeached for this.

The investigators looking into Russia are still there so I don't see this effecting the investigation at all.

I'm glad the investigators are still there, but we don't know what's going to happen next. Its a power play by the fascist Trump administration to wrest control over the Department of Justice. They are going to make the Justice Dept and the FBI bow down to the president, since he, like any tyrant, believes he can do any fucking thing he wants.

Don't be surprised when the Dept of Justice investigation is somehow ended

I bet you $50 he's still there in a month.

My definition of "getting away with it" is just everything he's done since getting into the White House, which is something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

In that case I think you are misunderstanding why people are getting excited.

This is a significant development in a very long game.

BFIB

Dems stating they will refuse whoever is selected to replace Comey until an independent investigation is set.

I think Trump planned on firing Comey as a reactionary move knowing these subpoenas were coming. I just don't think he understands the implications of what this will do.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Rachel Maddow's associate pointing out the receipts for the dates on the letters both being today, and how odd that is if this was really originally started by the DoJ.

What happened with Van Jones in the past that everyone's referring to?

Presumably the 'He seemed presidential tonight' comment from Trump's speech to Congress a while back.

tbm24

I hope this actually emboldens the FBI further to bring down Trump
That's pretty much a forgone conclusion. If Trump tries to have the investigation shut down stuff will leak and the FBI isn't going to rat themselves out for Trump. I'd like to think that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom