• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
When looking up cases on special prosecutors since Watergate, I stumbled upon this fun historical fact from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_prosecutor#Since_1999

In 2003 during the George W Bush administration, Patrick Fitzgerald was appointed special counsel by Deputy Attorney General James Comey, acting after the recusal of Attorney General John Ashcroft, to investigate the Plame affair.

Our boy appointed the Special Prosecuter in the Plame affair. Aaah, Valerie Plame. What a simpler time it was.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Trump just fired the guy investigating him and this joker's first comment is about CNN, a meaningless news channel.

That wasn't my first comment in this thread buddy.

Please explain what you mean.

Don't just drive-by and leave the thread.

CNN showed an image of 3 people fired by Trump who were investigating Trump.

After talking about it for a few minutes the host casually said person number 1 wasn't actually investigating Trump then moved on.

Lifeline

Most people agree that Comey deserves to be fired.

But being fired by the person that benefited the most from Comeys actions is highly suspect. Especially when that person is someone like Trump who's campaign is also being investigated by Comey.

sazzy

front page tomorrow

7wLHvMr.png

Slime

Banned
This seems big. Some strong, unsettling words inside.

I mean, this entire situation is big, but anything to do with Democrats expressing grave concern or calling on Trump to do something is essentially meaningless. Nothing is going to happen, no matter how many sternly worded public statements they release.

Here's the thing. Whoever Trump hires to head up the FBI is now understandably going to know that if they investigate Trump or the people around him, he's going to fire them. He can't make this better with a great bipartisan independent.

Kaiterra

Banned
Most people agree that Comey deserves to be fired.

But being fired by the person that benefited the most from Comeys actions is highly suspect. Especially when that person is someone like Trump who's campaign is also being investigated by Comey.

Especially when the "reasons" publicly given are actually things that Trump and Sessions have praised Comey for in the past.

I still can't wrap my head around how they did not see this coming... I mean seriously how is that even possible.

Yeah.

Then again as usual I still also can't wrap my head around how Trump and the GOP have survived any of the shit they've been pulling. How has this levels of shit not united the democrat politicians.

Comey walked right into this too as he's also an idiot as well for pushing the election toward Trump, wonder what he thinks now. How the fuck did he not see this coming when he helped him and gave the GOP their boogeyman on Hillary to keep going back to ("but emails!"). This is what people like Trump always do after.

I repeat again... imagine if Obama had done something similar. The Right would've already claimed his head.

Indeed. I'd like to see the democrat politicians fucking unite already.

It's not, per se. But it's extremely irregular and when you add it to the fact that he was investigating Trump and also that Trump has already lawyered up and started sending threatening letters to members of Congress, it is suspicious as fuck.

No one's going to shed a tear for James Comey. Fuck him. But the fact that Trump was willing to take such a reckless and surprising step does definitely point to some real shit about to go down.

This. The shit on him must be as huge as everyone expects.

Nope, I know this guy. He's 100% serious. Has a 6 figure job in a well respected position and legitimately believes that Trump is using 4D chess to fight the fucking Illuminati.

You should respond by mockingly asking him if he's gonna talk about chemtrails next.

Comey deserved this for sure. The timing though is just terrible.

This is only going to intensify the investigation even more. Trump is a complete idiot.

I can't believe no one in his advisory team didn't know that this would cause a massive shit storm. The dirt on him must be so massive for them to decide that this shit storm is worth swimming through.

Did Trump fire him because of the same reason you think he, Comey, deserved to be fired?

One step closer to an autocracy.

Because the president just fired the FBI director in charge of investigating the president.

The head of the FBI who is running the investigation into Trump and Russia was just fired by the person he is investigating.

He was the man at the head of the only credible investigation into Trump's ties with Russia.

This makes it look like he's desperate to stop the investigation from moving forward and has something to hide.

Massive conflict of interest + overreach by Trump Administration to prevent the ongoing investigation from revealing something that may bring Trump down.

Comey was heading an investigation into possible Russian ties into the White House.

It's not, per se. But it's extremely irregular and when you add it to the fact that he was investigating Trump and also that Trump has already lawyered up and started sending threatening letters to members of Congress, it is suspicious as fuck.

No one's going to shed a tear for James Comey. Fuck him. But the fact that Trump was willing to take such a reckless and surprising step does definitely point to some real shit about to go down.

Well fuck.

rucury

Banned
I mean, this entire situation is big, but anything to do with Democrats expressing grave concern or calling on Trump to do something is essentially meaningless. Nothing is going to happen, no matter how many sternly worded public statements they release.

I know, you're right.

It's just surreal to read basically "nothing less than our democracy is at stake" on a piece of paper signed by top politicians.

Ok this is the third or fourth person on CNN talking about this for Trump that has the same talking points they are for sure trying to get ahead of this.

"People are making more out of this then they need too"
"Trump is going to hire someone with great integrity"
"This isn't watergate"
"The investigation isn't over ok?"
"Democrats hates him too"

front page tomorrow

7wLHvMr.png

Boom.

I'm calling it. Trump is going to be littered with Nixon comparisons for at least the next few weeks and it's going to cause his approval to dip below 35%.

Nixon comparisons ALWAYS hurt the POTUS. When the NSA stuff came out and Obama was compared to Nixon, it hurt his numbers a lot.

Ok this is the third or fourth person on CNN talking about this for Trump that has the same talking points they are for sure trying to get ahead of this.

"People are making more out of this then they need too"
"Trump is going to hire someone with great integrity"
"This isn't watergate"
"The investigation isn't over ok?"

Again, whoever is hired, is going to have the realistic fear that they will lose their job if they investigate Trump or his cohorts.

Honestly, the sheer ineptitude of the move and the mummuring on Twitter about the WH not being aware of the problem seems to imply more a panicky inept move than a calculated grab for power.

But it's all grasping at straws right now. Let the news happen.

rucury

Banned
Hmm, no, I don't think that's the lesson here.

It seems to me like having what amounts to polar opposites in the political spectrum be the only realistic choices to lead the US led to this incredible power grab by the GOP. Mix that in with racism and other social issues and you've got a gridlocked system.

Slime

Banned
I know, you're right.

It's just surreal to read basically "nothing less than our democracy is at stake" on a piece of paper signed by top politicians.

Yup. An unprecedented coup against the established order is taking place, everyone knows it, and the one chance we had at fighting it has just been thrown out like trash. Frightening times.

Serious question, what happens to all the evidence Comey has at the FBI? Please tell me it's sealed away.

Likely already has been forwarded to foreign NATO intelligence agencies.

The IC never trusted Trump. They always suspected that Trump would at some point fire Comey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom