• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only saving grace of this administration is -- barring that it doesn't end the world -- it'll give us a lot of great pulp spy novels.

Maan, the FBI better play their hand soon, assuming they still have time.

Unfortunately even within intelligence organizations there is heavy infighting and posturing.

The end already began.

But it's a Stephen King novel. And one of the longer ones.

watchmenchapter12pg27panel.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wonder what people outside of my liberal bubble think about this. Admittedly I don't communicate much with conservatives nor do I visit their websites or watch their news station so I'm honestly wondering how GOP supporters feel about this.

It's hard to gauge the opinions of the average republicans based off the conservative pundits on CNN.

In November, after Comey said nothing in Anthony Weiner'saltoo changes their conclusion from July, Trump says

"You can't review 650,000 new emails in eight days. You can't do it, folks," Trump said at a rally. "Hillary Clinton is guilty. She knows it, the FBI knows it, the people know it."

The FBI comes out and says there weren't hundreds and thousands of emails. Minutes later, Trump fire him.

It's possible Trump reacted without thinking about optics. That he thought Comey was creating more noise and distracting. That is a scenario. The problem is we have too much of a coincidence on our hands on account of Preet and Sally being fired as well.

AND him trying to get Burr and Nunes to talk to reporters (of """"fake""" news media), and thus, damaging SIC and HIC investigations.

AND sending Punished Nunes out to spread classified intel FROM the WH, then BACK to the WH, damaging the HIC...that it turned out wasn't actually classified intel or even real.

Every. Single. Time. We get bombzaldroppen hearings and leaks, he pulls a stunt. Every time he acts as if he's like those bankrobbers throwing stolen money out of a getaway car window to avoid charges, leading one to believe he IS just that.

People gotta hold him to this, and not get bedazzled by the withering barrage of shitshow and fuckery that is his misbegotten presidency, despite the difficulty in dealing with such.

HarryKS

He shall now follow the longstanding tradition of showing up in documentaries about the political landscape of the US as former FBI director no 12345.

Jimrpg

Living in a country where this happens all the time, all I can say is this will just blow over in a couple of weeks and when most people can't or won't spend the time to be bothered about it.

Here’s the fundamental issue facing the country right now.

In criminal trials there are certain actions defendants can take from which judges will tell juries they can infer guilt. In a political context, this is one of those moments. We are now hearing word from White House officials that the White House is stunned at the backlash at Comey’s firing. Didn’t Democrats think he was doing a bad job? We’re even hearing commentators speculate that maybe this may have been a huge miscalculation. The White House didn’t realize how big a deal this was. In the final analysis I think this will be judged a major miscalculation – just not in the sense they mean. Frankly, no one is that naive. It doesn’t wash.

There is only one reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from the decision to fire Comey: that there is grave wrongdoing at the center of the Russia scandal and that it implicates the President. As I write this, I have a difficult time believing that last sentence myself. But sometimes you have to step back from your assumptions and simply look at what the available evidence is telling you. It’s speaking clearly: the only reasonable explanation is that the President has something immense to hide and needs someone in charge of the FBI who he believes is loyal. Like Jeff Sessions. Like Rod Rosenstein.

This is a very dark and perilous moment.

Into the Abyss: Trump Fires Comey (Talking Points Memo)

The whole post is worth a read.

DietRob

This has certainly got everyone to stop talking about the god awful healthcare bill, huh?

This is the Sessions thing, right? It is very strange that Sessions would then go on to FIRE the guy doing the investigating (while saying that he won't involve himself in the investigation).

I've already seen some law experts say that this is potentially illegal and grounds for dismissal.

Trump: Throw me the election. No time to argue! Throw me election, I'll throw you the directorship!
Comey: [throws the election to Trump] Give me the job!
Trump: Adiós, señor.

Brewmont

Banned
This is the Sessions thing, right? It is very strange that Sessions would then go on to FIRE the guy doing the investigating (while saying that he won't involve himself in the investigation).

I mean, he's obviously going to point to the fact that his letter of recommendation regarding the firing made no mention of the Russia investigation. I don't see how people are missing this. It's stupid, but that will be his defense.

If Lavrov is in Washington then that means the Russians have a mole/moles within the IC that have collected information that is top secret and shows just how far the FBI and others have been able to verify culpability withing the Trump administration and they were unwilling to share it electronically for fear of being caught. They waited for Lavrov to visit and drop it off in person using his consular immunity.

There has to be another solution. Clearly this sort of system does not work forever and is incapable of adapting fast enough. Corruption, party loyalty, racism, fear, faith over facts and tradition have won this round.

The Democrats will probably keep losing as long as they stay "the nice guys". Most are afraid to bend the rules and do what is "right". The GOP on the other hand is not playing by the rules, and winning the game.

Same.

Agreed. GOP understands that this whole thing is ultimately a popularity contest and low information voting really wins, and with the internet it's become even easier.

We'd like to think it swings both ways but Repubs have gotten much more aggressive at it lately and Russia helping unexpectedly helps them too. Dems have comedy shows.

However, I wish Dems just having weak political game was the only issue! The rift caused by Bernie vs Hillary was an unexpected boon for Repubs and is still riling efforts of unity within the party.

Both Bernie and Hillary stans need to bury the emotions for long enough to co-operate and ask themselves if they really want Trump to win another fucking term in office, and if not, but their differences aside, GET THE HOUSE, SENATE, PRESIDENCY back, and then bicker when you're back in power.

Agreed. GOP understands that this whole thing is ultimately a popularity contest and low information voting really wins, and with the internet it's become even easier.

We'd like to think it swings both ways but Repubs have gotten much more aggressive at it lately and Russia helping unexpectedly helps them too. Dems have comedy shows.

However, I wish Dems just having weak political game was the only issue! The rift caused by Bernie vs Hillary was an unexpected boon for Repubs and is still riling efforts of unity within the party.

Both Bernie and Hillary stans need to bury the emotions for long enough to co-operate and ask themselves if they really want Trump to win another fucking term in office, and if not, but their differences aside, GET THE HOUSE, SENATE, PRESIDENCY back, and then bicker when you're back in power.

That rift was a crack. Russia poured as much water into it as possible to widen it, and they did it successfully. I know reasonable people who went total moonbat over the course of the primaries, who are probably posting pro Russian propaganda right now, despite everything going on.

DietRob

Why am I reading so much about impeachment? What from this could lead to Trump being impeached?

Pardon my ignorance.

It's not going to happen. Impeachment is a political process that has to be initiated by Congress. The Congress is controlled by the GOP. Not going to happen.

If Lavrov is in Washington then that means the Russians have a mole/moles within the IC that have collected information that is top secret and shows just how far the FBI and others have been able to verify culpability withing the Trump administration and they were unwilling to share it electronically for fear of being caught. They waited for Lavrov to visit and drop it off in person using his consular immunity.

That would explain why Trump is not allowing press at the meeting.

Grexeno

uh huh

Prax

I think Trump just fucked himself. Things are moving fast now. And now they will move faster.
I always think that Trump brings along with him a kind of time compression effect.
He is a catalyst for accelrationism just by being such a terrible morally bankrupt person with diminished mental faculties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom