• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

BRO

Wrong movie.

This is important.

SVhnmDDdOzrZC.gif

You're not totally wrong. During the GOP primary, Trump and FOX News had a major public spat, first with Trump attacking lead FOX anchor Megyn Kelly, and then later public twitter criticisms of Roger Ailles (who has since resigned as his post of the head of FOX News after sexual misconduct on the job). Kelly resigned from FOX, Trump won the GOP primary, and since then, the network and Trump have been cozy as two cooters in a cabin.

But that was well over a year ago. FOX went back to being the mouthpiece of the GOP leadership which is, of course, Donald Trump.
I see, so that explains it. Thanks for clarifying

iammeiam

If they want to be even more blatant about killing the Russia probe, they can do so at their own peril. The White House sitting stupified at the blowback tells me they didn't consider this would only amplify the call for an independent investigation and the pressure is only going to rise as this goes on.

Sessions breaking recusal would be the cherry on top.

On some level I wonder if part of it is Trump just assuming everyone is as petty as he is. Like, maybe he really didn't think there would be much blowback because Democrats had it out for Comey and Trump can't conceive of disliking somebody while still thinking they deserve to be treated fairly.

Zips

Putin-style dictatorship incoming for the U.S.? With the bonuses of having a whole family of Trump puppets to roll out one after another as your future leaders. They'll maintain the appearance of following some basic rules to keep the masses from rising up, and only forego that once the public's spirit has been destroyed and resistance manageable. I'm only half-serious, but it's scary this seems even remotely plausible.

Trump is winning as he skirts doing anything he can be punished for, while managing to do it and surprise everyone because he doesn't give a shit about the optics. The American system is reeling from trying to deal with a guy like that.

The investigation is quashed unless they already managed to gather enough dirt. A special prosecutor would be selected by the deputy attorney general, and that same person just indicated they will stooge for Trump. They will just probe to find which of their options will be a willing stooge too, and pick that one as their prosecutor.

I really hope for the best for your country, but at least right now it is heading down a very dark path. I hope the investigation gathered enough to get Trump out already, be it via legal means or inciting riots or something until he is out. He has to go.

On some level I wonder if part of it is Trump just assuming everyone is as petty as he is. Like, maybe he really didn't think there would be much blowback because Democrats had it out for Comey and Trump can't conceive of disliking somebody while still thinking they deserve to be treated fairly.

Thats a good point

soldat7

Great commentary from John Cassidy (New Yorker)

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/donald-trump-james-comey-attack-american-democracy

At a time like this, it is important to express things plainly. On Tuesday evening, Donald Trump acted like a despot. Without warning or provocation, he summarily fired the independent-minded director of the F.B.I., James Comey. Comey had been overseeing an investigation into whether there was any collusion between Trump’s Presidential campaign and the government of Russia. With Comey out of the way, Trump can now pick his own man (or woman) to run the Bureau, and this person will have the authority to close down that investigation.

Until the White House comes up with a less ludicrous rationalization for its actions, we can only assume that Trump fired Comey because the Russia investigation is closing in on him and his associates, and he knew that he didn’t have much sway over the F.B.I. director. That is the simplest theory that fits the facts. And it is a cause for great alarm.

Ridisc

Banned
Gaf has told me Trumps presidency is over/near ending/this is IT so many times now that its very hard to feel anything about this news. I imagine hell be in power next week and the week after that.

Putin-style dictatorship incoming for the U.S.? With the bonuses of having a whole family of Trump puppets to roll out one after another as your future leaders. They'll maintain the appearance of following some basic rules to keep the masses from rising up, and only forego that once the public's spirit has been destroyed and resistance manageable. I'm only half-serious, but it's scary this seems even remotely plausible.

Trump is winning as he skirts doing anything he can be punished for, while managing to do it and surprise everyone because he doesn't give a shit about the optics. The American system is reeling from trying to deal with a guy like that.

The investigation is quashed unless they already managed to gather enough dirt. A special prosecutor would be selected by the deputy attorney general, and that same person just indicated they will stooge for Trump. They will just probe to find which of their options will be a willing stooge too, and pick that one as their prosecutor.

I really hope for the best for your country, but at least right now it is heading down a very dark path. I hope the investigation gathered enough to get Trump out already, be it via legal means or inciting riots or something until he is out. He has to go.

Yup, scary shit.

Opto

Banned

Yeah, Comey is a fucking embarrassment but I didn't want him out of the picture because Trump's own man is going to be so much worse

What did Claude Taylor say exactly?

I haven't gone through the whole thread yet.

Taylor mentioned that the grand juries which were reported tonight by CNN a few weeks back.

I've been following what he's said on Twitter and taken it with a grain of salt for a while simply because of the nature of second-hand sources (and still do; a small amount of skepticism is always good) so here goes:

Three grand juries are out there -- one focusing on FARA violations and possible RICO violations (likely regarding Flynn and Manafort; makes too much sense if that's true), one involving RICO, and a third now for FISA-related stuff.

This is where it gets interesting: he says the feds and foreign intelligence services have the goods not just on Trump, but on multiple people in government who were all in on this.

That was my take.

You're not totally wrong. During the GOP primary, Trump and FOX News had a major public spat, first with Trump attacking lead FOX anchor Megyn Kelly, and then later public twitter criticisms of Roger Ailles (who has since resigned as his post of the head of FOX News after sexual misconduct on the job). Kelly resigned from FOX, Trump won the GOP primary, and since then, the network and Trump have been cozy as two cooters in a cabin.

But that was well over a year ago. FOX went back to being the mouthpiece of the GOP leadership which is, of course, Donald Trump.
Ah I remember that relaxing few months were nobody in my family watched Fox News because they were part of the crooked media and the whole media of this country is corrupt because the hated Trump.....Only to start watching again when they liked Trump.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jeff Sessions or the Republican-dominated Congress.

EDIT: Or, since Sessions claims to have recused himself, the Trump-appointed deputy AG who just signed off on Comey's firing.
If enough pressure existed they would do it.

digdug2k

Gaf has told me Trumps presidency is over/near ending/this is IT so many times now that its very hard to feel anything about this news. I imagine hell be in power next week and the week after that.
Its weird to me, you think the GOP Senate/House would want him out and someone in power who they've got more control over. Ryan basically. With that, you think they'd be pursuing these investigations more fully. Fuck I mean, this firing today is grounds for impeachment itself.

But they aren't, and if they aren't ,nothing is happening until 2018, when the Democrats probably lose more seats and more states because one of them did something slightly dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom