• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that the kind of support necessary to install yourself as a dictator doesn't exist.

These doomsday scenarios are absurd on their face.

This entire presidency is absurd. I would not rule out anything.

Also, RUMINT basically is a way of tarting up a rumor. Don't put much stock into it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lol could you imagine if Trump just fucking disappears one day? It's so asinine that it's absolutely plausible.

Like, we'll just all wake up one morning and the news will be "well, we don't know how to say this, but Trump, all his family, and his entire administration are in Russia and we don't think they're coming back."

I don't buy it, but it'd be one hell of an ending to all this.

This person just gave shoutouts to Louise Mensch for inspiring him. Is there any reason to believe he's not just another attention seeking nutbag?

He was the first person to say grand juries were happening over a week ago. He hasn't been wrong in the past and seems fairly well connected.

Syf

Banned
I wouldn't put literally anything past them.
Guys, literally everytime we've said "It can't get worse than this" it got worse.
Yeah, both of these. The narrative since before he was even elected has been it can't get worse, and then it did get worse, and people were shocked that he/they did something worse. Wouldn't put anything past him or the current people in power anymore; even if they can't get it done, I wouldn't put it past them to try
Like, we'll just all wake up one morning and the news will be "well, we don't know how to say this, but Trump, all his family, and his entire administration are in Russia and we don't think they're coming back."
lmao

Crosseyes

Banned
We wouldn't get cancelled elections.

Russia has 'elections', Turkey just had their 'referendum'.

Trump wouldn't outright cancel elections he would horribly abuse his powers as president to disadvantage any candidate running against him. Like perhaps some newly appointed head of the FBI informs the public in the run-up to election time of all these various investigations being launched into Trump's political opponent or the Sessions run Justice Department conveniently bringing federal charges against Trump's challenger.

He's taking the institutions that have been integral in preserving our democracy and corrupting them in the most insidious way possible. The greatest domestic threat to our nation since the Civil War.

Your post before the edit was spot on.

If midterms were cancelled, you can bet there will be violence of some kind, if not violent protests on the streets.

Us Americans are not as timid as some think we are. A line has to be drawn somewhere, hence why I don't see this happening.

The midterms are happening, that much is for sure. But if Republicans are able to go full bore and get a supermajority in the house and senate (and they are relatively close) and get 1-2 more state legislatures, they can pass constitutional amendments essentially unchecked. And Trump has been very clear that he wants and will make use of this power, and Republicans have made things clear that they want to completely change this country.

I have said this before and I will again, 2018 is the most important election in the history of this nation. It could LITERALLY decide what our country will be for possibly the rest of our lifetimes.

Wonder if Pence going to do like Ford and pardon Trump. Despite a lack of evidence, deep down the GOP must have some shame. But at the same time they don't want Trump's cult to turn on them.

Yeah, both of these. The narrative since before he was even elected has been it can't get worse, and then it did get worse, and people were shocked that he/they did something worse. Wouldn't put anything past him or the current people in power anymore; even if they can't get it done, I wouldn't put it past them to try
I'm at the point where I won't say it can't get worse, but the shape for how it gets worse I can't even picture anymore. My doomsday worse case scenarios are more and more realistic.

Guys, literally everytime we've said "It can't get worse than this" it got worse. Expect anything and everything. If a civil war is what it takes then so fucking be it.

I expect to see you on the front lines. I'm sure you're mentally prepared to kill and watch human beings with families, hopes, and dreams murder each other over the actions of those above them. Or will it be a peaceful civil war where we all sit down and have tea together?

People need to quit saying dumb shit on the internet. On both sides.

Tall4Life

Guys there isn't going to be a violent overthrow of the government by either side. Don't be ridiculous.

There is nothing, NOTHING, that should convince you Trump or his top advisors are smart enough to pull that off.

The top of the leadership in the Nazi party was pretty dumb but with a tight enough grip they were able to control everything. We hear about some ethical violation or other moment of complete inanity and yet nothing is done about it, we have no reason to believe that some random thing is now going to cause the GOP to wake the fuck up and make them realize they need to impeach Trump. Kushner's selling visas to Chinese millionaires and its shrugged off. With a tight enough grip they can fumble their way to whatever they want.

DeviantBoi

This President has whittled down the Federal Government to the bones, is consolidating powers within a few Departments (DHS is getting a lot more authority), firing anyone with a dissenting opinion, and ruling almost exclusively through executive orders. And he still has a 80% approval rating among his party, and the support of most Senators and Representatives within his party--including a man whose personal Cell Phone number he gave out to the public out of spite, a man who he literally said had a small penis during a debate, and a guy who Trump said had an ugly wife and whose father may have killed JFK. Not to mention he called them all losers and failures a dozen times over. The party in question has a majority in the House of Representatives, the United States Senate, and the office of the President.

What support is lacking again?
Military.

In third-world countries, the army is made up of uneducated, poor men. That's not the case in the US.

I figure he'll get the racists that support Trump following his orders, but they'll have to deal with the real patriots that won't let Trump become a dictator.

Slime

Banned
He was the first person to say grand juries were happening over a week ago. He hasn't been wrong in the past and seems fairly well connected.

Interesting.

It would bring me so much joy to find out tomorrow that Trump ran off with Lavrov to spend the rest of his days in exile in Russia.

EDIT: I hate it when I inadvertently restate what someone else just said a few posts above me, :lol

FTF

I will try to sleep well tonight thinking of this as I drift off.

Cancelled elections is a bit of hyperbole, but will anyone be surprised if in 2018 we have increased scrutiny of "massive illegal voting" as well as rampant Russian hacking of Democratic campaigns with little action to counter by a compliant, compromised FBI? The United States' electoral integrity is in dire straits and I don't trust the executive or legislative branches at all.

Pastry

Banned
If a Democrat wins in 2020... do they let the new FBI director ride their position out? Fire them because they are a puppet of Trump?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Wonder if Pence going to do like Ford and pardon Trump. Despite a lack of evidence, deep down the GOP must have some shame. But at the same time they don't want Trump's cult to turn on them.

If Flynn is the thing that brings them down I imagine Pence goes with them. Pence was warned by the acting AG at the time and a few other agencies about Flynn, and he was the one in charge of vetting him for National Security Advisor. Pence did such a monumentally terrible job there's no way if it comes to light that Flynn conspired with foreign entities and Pence let him in the White House that Pence becomes President.

Tall4Life

I expect to see you on the front lines. I'm sure you're mentally prepared to kill and watch human beings with families, hopes, and dreams murder each other over the actions of those above them. Or will it be a peaceful civil war where we all sit down and have tea together?

People need to quit saying dumb shit on the internet. On both sides.

I'm not weeping for the dead sons of Confederate families from the Civil War, don't know why that would change for fascists.

You don't take down a fascist dictatorship with exchange of Pepsi cans.

Ihyll

We live in Texas, my neighbor, aunt uncle and a few cousins all believe Comey was working for Clinton and that Trump is keeping his promise about draining the swamp...they also say that Comeys replacement should go after Clinton .....yeahhh

GreyWind

We live in Texas, my neighbor, aunt uncle and a few cousins all believe Comey was working for Clinton and that Trump is keeping his promise about draining the swamp...they also say that Comeys replacement should go after Clinton .....yeahhh

That's the same excuse I've been seeing on Twitter and Facebook.

Dierce

If the justice department fails than it all rests squarely on the shoulders of the intelligence community. Massive leaks to the news media or more drastic and hands on actions in their part, we will see.

HariKari

If a Democrat wins in 2020... do they let the new FBI director ride their position out? Fire them because they are a puppet of Trump?

If an investigation ever results in Trump being charged and convicted... both sides will rush to tear down everything he has done.

Bronx-Man

Banned

I don't buy it, but it'd be one hell of an ending to all this.
Fuck it, let's just give this shitshow the most absurd ending it deserves.

We wouldn't get cancelled elections.

Russia has 'elections', Turkey just had their 'referendum'.

Trump wouldn't outright cancel elections he would horribly abuse his powers as president to disadvantage any candidate running against him. Like perhaps some newly appointed head of the FBI informs the public in the run-up to election time of all these various investigations being launched into Trump's political opponent or the Sessions run Justice Department conveniently bringing federal charges against Trump's challenger.

He's taking the institutions that have been integral in preserving our democracy and corrupting them in the most insidious way possible. The greatest domestic threat to our nation since the Civil War.

This is what's actually concerning. Support for Dems is rapidly growing in the local elections, but Trump going full force to undermine any candidate against him is something that's legit worrying.

Zolo

I know at least one person that's straight-up said they don't care if Trump colluded with Russia since it'd be worth it to take down Clinton.

When Democrats take back the White House in 2020, expect a lot of Trump associates to be thrown in prison.

Syncytia

Even if nothing gets much worse from the situation now, you basically need to clean house of everyone you can that was brought in by Trump. Day one, everyone gone.

Mr. X

Military.

In third-world countries, the army is made up of uneducated, poor men. That's not the case in the US.

I figure he'll get the racists that support Trump following his orders, but they'll have to deal with the real patriots that won't let Trump become a dictator.
We're doomed.

Toxi

Banned
It's fascinating how both the extreme right and extreme left just can't let Clinton go. She's the boogeyman for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom