• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Banned
BREAKING: Court Filing Indicates FBI Has Active Investigation Pertaining to Donald Trump’s Call for Russian Hacking and Espionage

"A recent court filing by the Department of Justice on behalf of the FBI in an ongoing FOIA lawsuit plainly indicates the FBI has an active investigation pertaining to Donald Trump’s actions related to actual or potential election-related hacking and espionage by Russia."

https://www.sparrowmedia.net/2017/05/james-comey-trump-investigation/

Bring dose leaks

George H.W. Bush nearly fired the FBI Director responsible for the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" message because he wasn't investigating enough Democrats and investigating too many Republicans.

Then Bush lost. And Clinton fired him on the advice of Janet Reno.

After an investigation of six months that was started by 41, which found that Sessions was involved in some shady shit.

Nice try benji.

IrishNinja

BREAKING: Court Filing Indicates FBI Has Active Investigation Pertaining to Donald Trump's Call for Russian Hacking and Espionage

"A recent court filing by the Department of Justice on behalf of the FBI in an ongoing FOIA lawsuit plainly indicates the FBI has an active investigation pertaining to Donald Trump's actions related to actual or potential election-related hacking and espionage by Russia."

https://www.sparrowmedia.net/2017/05/james-comey-trump-investigation/

is sparrowmedia a source i should get excited about hearing news from

Bad optics!

BAD OPTICS

i hate this word so hard i can no longer use cyk in x-men: COTA

You think progressively eliminating people in positions that can threaten him and challenge his authority, and replacing key people with stooges is nothing?

We're still in phase one of extending his reach. He won't bother going after things like rigging elections or lobotomizing the Democrats to leave as a shell opposition until more imminent threats are eliminated.
Yeah the only thing that conflicts me about Trump is that he seems to do things on a whim. So some overreaching diabolical plan doesn't seem likely to me. He seems to be an unintentional dictator. He throws a temper tantrum and cries when he doesn't get what he wants because he has had a silver spoon shoved up his ass his whole life. He also is a self absorbed individual who lacks any genuine compassion because of reasons stated above and the fame. Given how many times he has had major realizations over basic politics and understanding of the issues makes me think he has always had a very shallow understanding of politics. He likely didn't understand the gravity of the Russia collusion stuff. Americans needed the help of numerous foreign world leaders to explain basic shit to him.

...aaaaaand, the day after, a meeting with Lavrov.

C_cPALgWsAEHrwC.jpg
No words...

Actually, some words.

All this flagrant, transparent, not giving a single fuck fuckery just gives me wet dreams of what Obama could have done if he were even a tenth as shameless as this clown.

keep fighting, or else bye america

it's gonna be a long four years

84e1befd82.gif

Zips

Yea... the president calling schumer, who has no power, to get reassurance and getting shitty when he doesnt get it sounds like someone on their way to dictatorship. The dude who can't get an EO out the door is sure on his way. He can't get Healthcare, who knows where tax reform is sure sounds like he's on his way. The dictator had to fire his NSA and appoint a man who was forced to take the position because he's still in service is exerting his power well.

The dictator who can't stop leaks to media nor get said media not to run leaks is doing his thing.

Yall are fear mongerers through and through.

Trump stumbles, but he keeps going. It's not fear-mongering to recognize a danger and be wary of it.

If we're lucky things will work out and one of those barriers will definitively knock him down, or a key individual will leak info that takes Trump out, or whatever, but to act like it can't happen here is foolhardy.

Yea... the president calling schumer, who has no power, to get reassurance and getting shitty when he doesnt get it sounds like someone on their way to dictatorship. The dude who can't get an EO out the door is sure on his way. He can't get Healthcare, who knows where tax reform is sure sounds like he's on his way. The dictator had to fire his NSA and appoint a man who was forced to take the position because he's still in service is exerting his power well.

The dictator who can't stop leaks to media nor get said media not to run leaks is doing his thing.

Look at all of the shit you listed that he has tried...

The fact that he is trying (or trying to stop/coverup) EVERYTHING that you listed (and more) makes him a potential one, or at least shows that that kind of thing is his goal.

Just because he has been impeded so far doesn't make him not have that playbook.

wildfire

Banned

I agree that with his apparent incompetence he's unable to pull this off.

I disagree that he hasn't shown an attitude that he clearly sees this as an idealized goal.

Being incapable doesn't nullify the motive or the half assesd moves towards that goal.

And you're too dense to see that you are gaslighting people.

benjipwns

Banned
After an investigation of six months that was started by 41, which found that Sessions was involved in some shady shit.

Nice try benji.
Yes and that just adds to the point is that the FBI Director is a political position and he/she serves at the pleasure of the President. It is not a crime to dismiss him, nor does it shut down the FBI or assist the firing President. Louis Freeh is the one who proceeded to run such a train on the Clinton administration that people still blame the American voter for thinking they might be not model citizens.

is sparrowmedia a source i should get excited about hearing news from
I think it's the parent organization of The Intercept.

GreyWind

No words...

Actually, some words.

All this flagrant, transparent, not giving a single fuck fuckery just gives me wet dreams of what Obama could have done if he were even a tenth as shameless as this clown.

keep fighting, or else bye america

it's gonna be a long four years

84e1befd82.gif

I just hope four years don't turn into eight because if it does then I've lost all hope.

pixelation

The U.S. can't fall like this, i mean... there has to be someone with balls (and authority) able to do something to stop the cheeto menace right?

KHarvey16

Yes and that just adds to the point is that the FBI Director is a political position and he/she serves at the pleasure of the President. It is not a crime to dismiss him, nor does it shut down the FBI or assist the firing President. Louis Freeh is the one who proceeded to run such a train on the Clinton administration that people still blame the American voter for thinking they might be not model citizens.

The issue with Sessions is absolutely nothing like what just happened.

Zips

Yeah the only thing that conflicts me about Trump is that he seems to do things on a whim. So some overreaching diabolical plan doesn't seem likely to me. He seems to be an unintentional dictator. He throws a temper tantrum and cries when he doesn't get what he wants because he has had a silver spoon shoved up his ass his whole life. He also is a self absorbed individual who lacks any genuine compassion because of reasons stated above and the fame. Given how many times he has had major realizations over basic politics and understanding of the issues makes me think he has always had a very shallow understanding of politics. He likely didn't understand the gravity of the Russia collusion stuff. Americans needed the help of numerous foreign world leaders to explain basic shit to him.

Trump is a horrible, weird person, so him not actually aiming to be a dictator would be a lucky break. It will also come down to what those around him want, along with whatever he happens to stumble into. He may be a complete idiot, but he's one that likes power and knows to check with those around him how to try and skirt the law to achieve it.

I hope he gets definitively called out for his shit, and his whole family brand ruined forever.

The point is that the FBI Director is a political position and he/she serves at the pleasure of the President. It is not a crime to dismiss him, nor does it shut down the FBI or assist the firing President. Louis Freeh is the one who proceeded to run such a train on the Clinton administration that people still blame the American voter for thinking they might be not model citizens.

The point is you are trying to muddy the waters by essentially stating that this isn't unprecedented, that this isn't that bad, by pointing to a time a Democrat did it.

It's a smarter version of "both sides" coated in some rhetoric about how this is not a crime. Yes, it's not a crime. It's still a nasty thing to do to dismiss the guy investigating your administration for possible ties with flimsy justification.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The U.S. can't fall like this, i mean... there has to be someone with balls (and authority) able to do something to stop the cheeto menace right?
I think comments like this are a little dramatic - I don't see the US falling, I just see a guy who is fleecing the system for all he can while super incompetent before his inevitable downfall and manipulating an adoring base.

Yep, comey has been kidnapped by the trump admin. They are currently waterboarding him to find out how much he knows. /s

Yep. Disheartening is an understatement

Same. It is beyond insufferable that nothing sticks to this fucker.

This is exactly how I feel as well.

I think that's part of the plan originally. Inundate you with so much crap that most people get annoyed and ignore politics and what they're doing. Following it all is downright exhausting.

Seriously the fact u turds ain't rioting over this is insane.

Patriotism died a long time ago huh.

Well at least you can tell ya grand kids when they ask you why didn't you stop the formation of an autocratic police state, you can say "well I shook my fist on neogaf"

Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Ya got a Russian agent in the oval office that wipes his asshole with the constitution.

Ithil

I think comments like this are a little dramatic - I don't see the US falling, I just see a guy who is fleecing the system for all he can while super incompetent before his inevitable downfall and manipulating an adoring base.

If they get away with this Russia interference, then Russia will do this again in every single election you have.

pixelation

I may be overreacting (maybe)... but gaf also laughed in my face when i said that the Cheeto Mollusk was gonna win the election.

I didn't know Comey was so beloved.

This, like a lot of situations in the adult world, is more complicated than "I love him, so keep him" or "I hate him, so he's gone."

It's kind of inarguable that Comey acted unprofessionally in 2016, or at very least without precedent. The director of the FBI doesn't hold a press conference to argue moral relativity with regard to not charging someone. They just don't charge them. They don't talk about how bad the person is even when they didn't do anything prosecutable, they simply don't recommend prosecution. Comey fired shots.

The October letter was absolutely interference that now seems to mostly be based on fantasy. At worst, it was a violation of the Hatch act, at best it was a ridiculous and unsupervised move that he ran past the DoJ who told him it was a bad idea.

All that said, Obama didn't fire him because then it would have looked like a cover-up. He probably could have done it, but without knowing what was in Comey's mind, he was at worst unprofessional. Actionably so, but Obama didn't like the optics of doing it.

Months and months after it happened, while he was investigating the person who fired him today, was not the time to do it.

Comey can deserve to be fired while this remains a frightening, frightening thing.

norinrad

Seriously the fact u turds ain't rioting over this is insane.

Patriotism died a long time ago huh.

Well at least you can tell ya grand kids when they ask you why didn't you stop the formation of an autocratic police state, you can say "well I shook my fist on neogaf"

Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Ya got a Russian agent in the oval office that wipes his asshole with the constitution.

You will have to take away all their cellphones before that happens.

Davide

From Claude Taylor probably posted a while back but maybe buried: "A source with knowledge of the investigation says that nine sealed indictments came down in one case with sixteen more expected in others."

Wonder who it will be."

Opto

Banned

"No one gives a shit or they're actively making it worse out of spite or profit"
- Bea, Night in the Woods

benjipwns

Banned
The point is you are trying to muddy the waters by essentially stating that this isn't unprecedented
Also known as context.

It's a smarter version of "both sides" coated in some rhetoric about how this is not a crime. Yes, it's not a crime. It's still a nasty thing to do to dismiss the guy investigating your administration for possible ties with flimsy justification.
No justification is even needed.

James Comey is not investigating Donald Trump's administration. The FBI is investigating "Russian interference and ties" and is continuing to do so. Possibly with a special task force (like they did for Wikileaks and Hillary's e-mails) just for it if that time table was met for when it was to be ready.

Donthizz#

was Comey planning on arresting Trump? seems like a panicky move to me.

if Trump survives this, good luck on having free & fair elections in 2018.

This, like a lot of situations in the adult world, is more complicated than "I love him, so keep him" or "I hate him, so he's gone."

It's kind of inarguable that Comey acted unprofessionally in 2016, or at very least without precedent. The director of the FBI doesn't hold a press conference to argue moral relativity with regard to not charging someone. They just don't charge them. They don't talk about how bad the person is even when they didn't do anything prosecutable, they simply don't recommend prosecution. Comey fired shots.

The October letter was absolutely interference that now seems to mostly be based on fantasy. At worst, it was a violation of the Hatch act, at best it was a ridiculous and unsupervised move that he ran past the DoJ who told him it was a bad idea.

All that said, Obama didn't fire him because then it would have looked like a cover-up. He probably could have done it, but without knowing what was in Comey's mind, he was at worst unprofessional. Actionably so, but Obama didn't like the optics of doing it.

Months and months after it happened, while he was investigating the person who fired him today, was not the time to do it.

Comey can deserve to be fired while this remains a frightening, frightening thing.

This right here.

KHarvey16

Also known as context.

No justification is even needed.

James Comey is not investigating Donald Trump's administration. The FBI is investigating "Russian interference and ties" and is continuing to do so. Possibly with a special task force (like they did for Wikileaks and Hillary's e-mails) just for it if that time table was met for when it was to be ready.

What is your argument? That the president firing the man leading the agency that's investigating his administration is no big deal? Sessions is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom