• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

This should at least show the next generations of FBI directors it doesn't pay to help the candidate you think should win even if he wins.

Which should be an excellent rallying cry for 2018, no? After two years of this madness, I hope a "Fuck Trump" platform brings out voters.

"Don't boo, Vote".

Mattenth

BREAKING: Court Filing Indicates FBI Has Active Investigation Pertaining to Donald Trump's Call for Russian Hacking and Espionage

"A recent court filing by the Department of Justice on behalf of the FBI in an ongoing FOIA lawsuit plainly indicates the FBI has an active investigation pertaining to Donald Trump's actions related to actual or potential election-related hacking and espionage by Russia."

https://www.sparrowmedia.net/2017/05/james-comey-trump-investigation/

Interpretation in this article of the info is subjective keep in mind.

Went and asked a lawyer friend who said this was a pretty bogus analysis. It's possible, but he gave Benghazi as an example: the state department took years to release all the emails.

It's just a delay tactic for politically inconvenient material, but wouldn't get your hopes up that it's somehow significant.

Machina

Banned
C_cFwSgUIAAUha0.jpg:large

This, like a lot of situations in the adult world, is more complicated than "I love him, so keep him" or "I hate him, so he's gone."

It's kind of inarguable that Comey acted unprofessionally in 2016, or at very least without precedent. The director of the FBI doesn't hold a press conference to argue moral relativity with regard to not charging someone. They just don't charge them. They don't talk about how bad the person is even when they didn't do anything prosecutable, they simply don't recommend prosecution. Comey fired shots.

The October letter was absolutely interference that now seems to mostly be based on fantasy. At worst, it was a violation of the Hatch act, at best it was a ridiculous and unsupervised move that he ran past the DoJ who told him it was a bad idea.

All that said, Obama didn't fire him because then it would have looked like a cover-up. He probably could have done it, but without knowing what was in Comey's mind, he was at worst unprofessional. Actionably so, but Obama didn't like the optics of doing it.

Months and months after it happened, while he was investigating the person who fired him today, was not the time to do it.

Comey can deserve to be fired while this remains a frightening, frightening thing.
A fairly accurate summation of how I feel. Honestly, this entire event caught me by surprise. I didn't expect Trump to do something so bold. The man keeps pushing past expectations in the worst of ways.

Edit:

"Don't boo, Vote".
Mm, but hopefully people will listen this time.

rec0ded1

lol did Fox News actually report this?

C_aw1IuXgAEqQBc.jpg

That network sure can be silly sometimes...

Not this again. It's fake I swear sometimes I think these are planted to push the fake news shit.
Edit: shit was real.it was corrected later. bleh I'm just heated atm. I had checked fox website and it was fired when it was originally posted.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not this again. It's fake I swear sometimes I think these are planted to push the fake news shit.

wouldn't put it past being intentional. gotta muddy the facts for their fanbase who will believe everything they say without fact checking. or yell fakenews when corrected.

benjipwns

Banned
What is your argument? That the president firing the man leading the agency that's investigating his administration is no big deal? Sessions is irrelevant.
Have you even read a couple pages of this thread? It's seriously discussing this firing of a person who serves the President at his pleasure (after weeks of considering it) as the first step of an impending dictatorship and has had people calling for violent actions to be taken against elected officials by not only NeoGAF.com posters but American intelligence agencies.

No, it's no truly big deal. The FBI investigation will continue with or without James Comey, possibly to its benefit as he was a person who has shown questionable judgment and management skills.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No words...

Actually, some words.

All this flagrant, transparent, not giving a single fuck fuckery just gives me wet dreams of what Obama could have done if he were even a tenth as shameless as this clown.

keep fighting, or else bye america

it's gonna be a long four years

84e1befd82.gif
Where do you gain your confidence we are not in for a special treat of another four years after that? I mean, US people re-elected George W. Bush, after this I do not put re-election of any lunatic past the US.

Destroyed.

Have you even read a couple pages of this thread? It's seriously discussing this firing of a person who serves the President at his pleasure (after weeks of considering it) as the first step of an impending dictatorship and has had people calling for violent actions to be taken against elected officials by not only posters but intelligence agencies.

No, it's no big deal. The FBI investigation will continue with or without James Comey, possibly to its benefit as he was a person who has shown questionable judgment and management skills.

If the reports of what happened with Trump behind the scenes are true according to politico and WSJ, how long until he fires the next person because he got angry at the TV?

Where do you gain your confidence we are not in for a special treat of another four years after that? I mean, US people re-elected George W. Bush, after this I do not put re-election of any lunatic past the US.

Bush was a bad president but this was a level that can't be compared. If nixon was running against trump I'm pretty sure we would all vote for watergate by comparison.

GreyWind

Oh god. Can you imagine four more years of this madness.

Despite everything I actually still have some faith left in the Left to rally and prevent Trump from winning another 4 years, assuming he even survives that long politically or otherwise.

Edit: Referring to his health and how notoriously unfit he is, mind you, not the possibility of assassination.

Have you even read a couple pages of this thread? It's seriously discussing this firing of a person who serves the President at his pleasure (after weeks of considering it) as the first step of an impending dictatorship and has had people calling for violent actions to be taken against elected officials by not only NeoGAF.com posters but American intelligence agencies.

No, it's no truly big deal. The FBI investigation will continue with or without James Comey, possibly to its benefit as he was a person who has shown questionable judgment and management skills.

And if you wanted to dismantle the FBI where would you start?

All they need to do is get a replacement that's a shill to stonewall the information from getting out.

He's torpedoed the congressional investigation and now the Senate investigation by getting rid of Comey.

Everything has once again been stalled so he has time to ready his next misdirection.

KHarvey16

No, it's no big deal. The FBI investigation will continue with or without James Comey, possibly to its benefit as he was a person who has shown questionable judgment and management skills.

If it's so clearly not a big deal, why did you feel the need to intentionally misrepresent the Sessions firing to support your point?

What a silly position to take. A president who is being investigated firing the person leading one of those investigations is a big deal, yes.

Honestly, too many people made a big deal out of still from Fox. Yes, it was really dumb to say Comey "resigned," but they have since fixed the mistake, and made it very clear he was fired.

To me, the much bigger problem from Fox is the tone/spin most of their hosts have on this story. In particular, how most of them are trying to downplay the controversy. Tucker Carlson, for example, seem to be oblivious/confused as to why there was such a big fuss about this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Which should be an excellent rallying cry for 2018, no? After two years of this madness, I hope a "Fuck Trump" platform brings out voters.

I think the "I'm not Trump" strategy already failed no? That's where we failed is our messaging. Democrats need to get away from 'elect me because I'm not him' strategy and instead deliver a solid message and vision based on values.

For far too long the GOP has tried to own the "Values" market in politics. I think we have a clear and winning values argument now. We value human life by championing accessible and affordable healthcare. We value the american principles of 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses..." by pushing for fair immigration policies. We value the environment our children and grandchildren will inherit by understanding that science is not a partisan issue.

Democrats need to focus on our own values and constantly remind the electorate of them instead of constantly tell them we aren't as shitty as the other guy.

I don't want to get too sucked into this but you act as though Bush in 2004 was somehow this demonstrably awful choice like Le Pen or Trump today.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Bush was a bad president but this was a level that can't be compared. If nixon was running against trump I'm pretty sure we would all vote for watergate by comparison.

Bush is a war criminal who killed tens of thousands of people for no reason. Trump is a venal idiot who hasn't had enough time to start any wars yet.

If he lasts a full term he'll be one of the worst Presidents in American history, but at this moment I think W still has him beat.

Despite everything I actually still have some faith left in the Left to rally and prevent Trump from winning another 4 years, assuming he even survives that long politically or otherwise.

Edit: Referring to his health and how notoriously unfit he is, mind you, not the possibility of assassination.

You mean the same left still going after Hillary and slamming Obama for speaking fees? That left? Still doing purity tests over the leadership of the DNC, of all things?

Yeah. I have complete confidence.

There was endless joking in PoliGAF since election night that the US would quickly fall into some shady dictatorship bullshit. Since inauguration day, there's been some passive background shady crap in this direction from the administration, but nothing major or blatant. Well, it took 110 days to get to actual actual third world dictator shit. Marginally faster than I think most people were guessing.

benjipwns

Banned
If the reports of what happened with Trump behind the scenes are true according to politico and WSJ, how long until he fires the next person because he got angry at the TV?
Well, he's partly sidelined Steve Bannon so he doesn't have to see his portrayal on SNL.

If it's so clearly not a big deal, why did you feel the need to intentionally misrepresent the Sessions firing to support your point?

What a silly position to take. A president who is being investigated firing the person leading one of those investigations is a big deal, yes.
James Comey is not leading the investigation. He was director of the FBI, he was going to get "weekly updates" from the investigation.

I didn't intentionally misrepresent it. Bush considered firing him but lost. Clinton fired him on the advice of Janet Reno. The "cause" is irrelevant as he could be fired without cause. Much as Clinton contemplated with Louis Freeh.

And if you wanted to dismantle the FBI where would you start?
Congress.

He's torpedoed the congressional investigation and now the Senate investigation by getting rid of Comey.
How? And you're talking about the investigations run by his stooges in Congress right?

The kind of people who have yet to bring charges of contempt against James Clapper.

Bush is a war criminal who killed tens of thousands of people for no reason. Trump is a venal idiot who hasn't had enough time to start any wars yet.
American bombing has increased tenfold over this period last year.

If he lasts a full term he'll be one of the worst Presidents in American history, but at this moment I think W still has him beat.

How much collateral damage do you think you're not hearing about in all of these increased airstrikes since Trump took over? Not only that, but the rules of engagement have been loosened compared to the Obama policy. You "woke" posters are so laughably hollow it's crazy.

KHarvey16

James Comey is not leading the investigation. He was director of the FBI, he was going to get "weekly updates" from the investigation.

I didn't intentionally misrepresent it. Bush considered firing him but lost. Clinton fired him on the advice of Janet Reno. The "cause" is irrelevant as he could be fired without cause.

The cause is only irrelevant if your goals don't include making a coherent argument. Comey was fired because he is leading the agency conducting an investigation into the administration of the man who fired him. Sessions was fired for numerous egregious ethical violations.

You're a clown.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't want to get too sucked into this but you act as though Bush in 2004 was somehow this demonstrably awful choice like Le Pen or Trump today.
A crazy warmongerer who saw himself on a god-given mission against the evil, who separates the world into good and evil? Well, he was not demonstrably a racist, so there is that, but it should have been obvious to anyone with even a tiny bit of common sense that this madman should never be in any sort of political power, let alone over the mightiest country in the world.

Oh god. Can you imagine four more years of this madness.
Is it possible to imagine? Yes. It is pleasent? Oh hell no.

Trump ran against a candidate where all that could easily be highlighted as truly problemtic was that she was uninspired, boring and had some rather miniscule affair haunting her and still won. He is not acting any worse than what his campaign made clear in advance, so I really don't see how it is so clear he will not win another election.

benjipwns

Banned
George W. Bush signed legislation after stating he believed it to be unconstitutional. He should have been impeached and convicted before the sun rose the next day.

The cause is only irrelevant if your goals don't include making a coherent argument. Comey was fired because he is leading the agency conducting an investigation into the administration of the man who fired him. Sessions was fired for numerous egregious ethical violations.

You're a clown.
It might help if you stop trying to make my argument into some kind of "either-or"/"good-bad" situation.

If Trump is not impeached, or he doesn't start openly and blatantly murdering white Americans, he will likely be re-elected.

The electorate is almost always willing to give a party eight years to fix things with control of the executive branch. Incumbents can be knocked out in their first term, but it's usually the third term of the party being in office. The most notable exception to this is Carter.

So we'll see. Trump will go out there in 2019 and tell people it was all the Democrats' fault. The Democrats will then run to the right. The "Fuck Trump" voters will decide that they'd just rather not vote, and Trump will eke out 275 and claim a mandate.

James Comey is not leading the investigation. He was director of the FBI, he was going to get "weekly updates"

Congress.

How? And you're talking about the investigations run by his stooges in Congress right?

The kind of people who have yet to bring charges of contempt against James Clapper.

American bombing has increased tenfold over this period last year.

What would congress have at all to do with hiring and firing an FBI director?

The point being the senate and congressional investigations are tethered to the FBI's investigation.

Comey actively worked with the Senate, providing documents and intelligence for them. A new FBI director may not be so forthcoming.

FBI has all the raw material data if Trump can control the FBI, it's over.

Trump ran against a candidate where all that could easily be highlighted as truly problemtic was that she was uninspired, boring and had some rather miniscule affair haunting her and still won. He is not acting any worse than what his campaign made clear in advance, so I really don't see how it is so clear he will not win another election.

The biggest problem Hillary had was turnout if you look at the actual vote numbers trump did not have that much more votes than republicans usually do. Now every single person who thought "trump never had a chance" are now saying "oh my god make it stop!"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
George W. Bush signed legislation after stating he believed it to be unconstitutional. He should have been impeached and convicted before the sun rose the next day.

While your insight into history can be interesting, when you pull bullshit like today, i'd rather do without it.

At this point, I doubt the forum, or poligaf would miss you much if you just quit posting.

So perhaps think about it?

I'm going to bed. I'd suggest posters just ignore him, perhaps he will go away.

Benji, you're basing all of this off of what previous Politicians have done. What about the fuckery that is the Trump Administration leads you to believe he won't just reshape the FBI into whatever he wants? He's already used executive orders to consolidate responsibilities in other agencies within the Federal Government, why not sign an executive order called "Restructuring and Accountability with Intelligence Communities" that basically makes the Director all powerful and then install whomever won't give him a hard time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom