• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

C_enNeoXkAA7xyk.jpg

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/862341710952747008

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
He's incredibly unpopular (more so than any president at this stage in their careers, and Trump's lowest point was lower than Obama ever got, and Obama was considered vulnerable in 2012)

He's done nothing with a completely GOP controlled government (same as Carter). The ACHA is hated by 70% of the country and growing.

The only thing he's managed to do in his 100 days is fill a stolen Supreme Court seat and hype up Democrats to win. He is a failure of a president by every definition, and 4 years of doing nothing (he only has a year and a half before Dems take the house and then he has no chance of doing anything at all)

Where exactly is the evidence he would be re-elected? Because the severe lack of popularity, the inaction and the lost ground in many R held districts don't really point to a president guaranteed to be re-elected.

My only worry is that a lot of the people who went to the polls this past election and voted democrat are going to be too deflated going into 2018 and 2020. That defeatist attitude is very powerful and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people said to themselves, "the hell is the point, Trump won anyway," because they don't have solid understanding of how government works.

TyrantII

Tell the Jews to peacefully resist the Nazis? Tell black America in the 60's to peacefully resist against the government and racism?

You are far too idealistic.

And you're conflating things that have no bearing at what's currently at hand.

Jewish violence wouldn't have stopped Nazism. Civil Rights was passed as backlash to right wing violence, not in support of it.

We're not in a war yet. We're trying to save things before it gets to that.

My only worry is that a lot of the people who went to the polls this past election and voted democrat are going to be too deflated going into 2018 and 2020. That defeatist attitude is very powerful and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people said to themselves, "the hell is the point, Trump won anyway," because they don't have solid understanding of how government works.

Which is why people need to call out defeatist attitudes as being detrimental and not something they should buy into.

Giving up hope is what the opposition wants. It's an effective tool. Don't let them use it.

Loxley

The reaction by Colbert's crowd to the news Comey was fired and Colbert's reaction to it... hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoP8cmuFU0

Talk show audiences are weird.

Which is why people need to call out defeatist attitudes as being detrimental and not something they should buy into.

Giving up hope is what the opposition wants. It's an effective tool. Don't let them use it.

Sometimes I wish any and all variations of the phrase "we're so fucked" were just not allowed in political threads. I get so annoyed when I see it, it adds absolutely fucking nothing to conversations aside from making others feel hopeless.

Skatterd

He's incredibly unpopular (more so than any president at this stage in their careers, and Trump's lowest point was lower than Obama ever got, and Obama was considered vulnerable in 2012)

He's done nothing with a completely GOP controlled government (same as Carter). The ACHA is hated by 70% of the country and growing.

The only thing he's managed to do in his 100 days is fill a stolen Supreme Court seat and hype up Democrats to win. He is a failure of a president by every definition, and 4 years of doing nothing (he only has a year and a half before Dems take the house and then he has no chance of doing anything at all)

Where exactly is the evidence he would be re-elected? Because the severe lack of popularity, the inaction and the lost ground in many R held districts don't really point to a president guaranteed to be re-elected.

Why I don't necessarily disagree with you I think that projecting this attitude is a bad path to take. We don't want to convince anyone that Trump losing is a sure thing again.

Ryuuroden

Trump used a lot of not the Putin playbook but the Chavez playbook on his way to being elected president and is still using the same tactics but I don't think he has nearly the same support that Chavez did and I don't think the dems will make the same mistake the Venezuelan opposition did early in Chavez's presidency.

I'm quoting this for accuracy.

I know a lot of us were stunned by what happened in November, but the Dems will have a huge advantage in 2018.

(I definitely expect a ton of voter suppression though)

If you wanted to combat vote suppression , wouldn't one of the best things to do is to start helping people get ID/whatever else is required NOW?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
God, I just feel just like I do when watching House of Cards..."When are they going to stop this mofo, come the fuck on"

This can't be right. Benji told us all that this wouldn't effect the Russia investigation at all.

Yes, but benji and his sock-puppets are enamored with the sound of their own keystrokes, so his babbling about, well, anything is simply self-copulation.

This isn't normal, and it isn't going away, despite the bed-wetters wishing it would.

Matticers

Wtf at that reaction?
Really Trump fans or did they get the applause cue and just rolled with it?

They probably had no idea who Comey is and figured it was a good thing. The average person on the street probably couldn't tell you who he was before this story. Maybe even after it too.

TyrantII

I'm quoting this for accuracy.

I know a lot of us were stunned by what happened in November, but the Dems will have a huge advantage in 2018.

(I definitely expect a ton of voter suppression though)

Difficulty: John Kerry 2004

Unseating a sitting President isn't easy. My worry is with so much going on, it's hard to laser focus on the objective to remove him.

We really need to be preparing now, but the Democrats opposition, any opposition really, has seemed disorganized as ever.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The fact that most military voters supported Trump is critical. It makes the gradual transition to autocracy much easier.

We have a military that's filled with bigots, racists, misogynists, and people who support guns over human lives. Of fucking course they were going to support Trump
Cops too. And it's no accident those are the two areas he wants to shore up resources and authority. It's pretty terrifying.

Tahnit

Banned

Unseating a sitting President isn't easy. My worry is with so much going on, it's hard to laser focus on the objective to remove him.

We really need to be preparing now, but the Democrats opposition, any opposition really, has seemed disorganized as ever.

If dems can get majority in 2018 they can start the impeachment process and get rid of him

shamanick

Good point, the Iraq war had a lot of very engaged opposition and Bush still got re-elected. Knowing the Dems they'll run some milquetoast like Zuckerberg and get stomped

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of voter suppression, for specifically the tactic that requires an ID to vote, I'd totally be down to donate to some organization or fund that pays for impoverished people to get an ID.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
If you wanted to combat vote suppression , wouldn't one of the best things to do is to start helping people get ID/whatever else is required NOW?

giphy.gif

I understand we shouldn't have to do it but here we are and it's the most reliable way to get those votes counted in 2018.

Ray Down

Banned

Bush was still popular in 2004, it wasn't till 2006 (where the war became unpopular and blowback from HK) where the turn happened.

abundant

They probably had no idea who Comey is and figured it was a good thing. The average person on the street probably couldn't tell you who he was before this story. Maybe even after it too.

They know who he is because Colbert had been talking about the Hilary emails thing just last week.

Sephzilla

Kerry was also probably the worst possible candidate they could have put against Bush.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Can we just get someone, ANYONE, with a shred of charisma?

Look at the last 40 years Democrats. When you had the more charismatic candidate you won. Now shut the fuck up and nominate them you fuckers.

As much as I disagree with their stupid ID laws, I've always felt a better use of the money would be to just get IDs to people instead of just talking about it politically.

benjipwns

Banned
Yes, but benji and his sock-puppets are enamored with the sound of their own keystrokes, so his babbling about, well, anything is simply self-copulation.

This isn't normal, and it isn't going away, despite the bed-wetters wishing it would.
oh that's right i forgot that my alt accounts were discovered

of course fox news was on at my work because a bunch of people in my office voted for trump.

They are trying to spin it that this is nothing like what nixon did.....

Garlador

Can we just get someone, ANYONE, with a shred of charisma?

Look at the last 40 years Democrats. When you had the more charismatic candidate you won. Now shut the fuck up and nominate them you fuckers.

You're not wrong.

This was precisely the moment that Bill Clinton cinched the younger voters. Politics and policy be damned, it was COOL to vote for Clinton back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom