• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

Derwind

Trump will go down as the worst US President to have ever held office and he knows it. He only leaves a hate-filled, bigoted legacy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So if the Department of Justice didn't write the pardon...who did?

Was it an old draft by DOJ lawyers, or someone within the White House?

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump just wrote on a piece of paper:

"I, the king of the US, pardon the racist."

Signed with his shitty as signature.

So if the Department of Justice didn't write the pardon...who did?

Was it an old draft by DOJ lawyers, or someone within the White House?

The Prez has ultimate pardon authority, however most have the common sense to follow processes and DOJ recommendations to avoid the appearance of political maneuvering. 45 doesn't give a fuck, and this has a chance of really biting him in the ass.
As many articles and papers have stated, this creates a genuine constitutional crisis.

Trump will go down as the worst US President to have ever held office and he knows it. He only leaves a hate-filled, bigoted legacy.

I wonder if he's doing this on purpose now. If he can't beat Obama, he at least wants to go down as the worst possible something.

In his warped mind, maybe that's a win? "I beat Obama at being the worst!"

Dartastic

Desaparecidos - MariKKKopa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpvXmwybQ6A

There is a lynching at Home Depot
of the last day laborer
In this sanctuary city
with its anchor-baby births
They say “It’s time we had some justice
for the white race on this earth
This place is strange and getting stranger”
“We got to round ’em up!
Door to door tonight we’re ready”
Knock Knock Knock
“Drag them from their beds
They got some nerve to say
they were here first”
“We’re gonna round them up!
Hiding in the semi-trailers”
Knock Knock Knock
“Beat it in their heads
We keep our word and Maricopa pure”
They’re sweating in Sun City
cause they just got off the course
Saying “Sheriff Joe it’s awful
and it’s only getting worse”
“Oh did you hear about Rob Krentz?
They left him bleeding in the dirt
These Spics they’re brave and getting braver”
“We got to round ’em up!
Door to door the posse is ready”
Knock Knock Knock
“Drag them from their beds
Cause it’s their turn for someone to get hurt”
“We’re gonna round ’em up!
Crying in the day-care center”
Knock Knock Knock
“Beat it in their heads
They’ll never learn until Maricopa burns!”

Please let the pardon be invalid... If that's even a thing.

that would require republican controlled congress to do their jobs

to put in short, there's a better chance of me building a time machine and going back in time when britney spears and angelina jolie were in their primes and having a threesome with them than them doing their job

SuperPac

Throwing fuel in the fire... I smell shit will go down because of this...

I wish it were true, but considering all the things that have come up since he began his candidacy and not one has taken him down or had any lasting repercussions, I have a hard time believing that this will do it.

Reminder that Arpaio still has multiple civil cases against him and a pardon is an admission of guilt. So Trump helped him avoid criminal charges, but his life will get fucked now from civil charges. Oops.

The guy is old as fuck. Civil charges don't mean shit. Prison time would have been the best punishment for this piece of shit.

Tovarisc

DIHkjxfWsAEqdY5.jpg
DIHkjxkW0AAKplJ.jpg

DIHkjxgXgAAHvuA.jpg
DIHkjxgXoAAlMCx.jpg
https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/901252722082672640

HariKari

Arpaio is scum of the earth and has done lasting damage to AZ with his racist policies, both socially and economically. It only seems fitting that Trump, a historically unpopular schmuck of a racist, is the one to pardon him.

Not

Banned
I wish it were true, but considering all the things that have come up since he began his candidacy and not one has taken him down or had any lasting repercussions, I have a hard time believing that this will do it.

Then do it yourself. Vote in 2018. Join the protests, call politicians, and spread the word. Remove the GOP from power.

It's our only shot.

Derwind

He doesn't.

Nah, he knows everything he does and he knows exactly how he's viewed by the world & the majority of Americans.

He doesnt acknowledge it and constantly needs the support of his Trumpeteers to make him feel better because the reality is no one else in the world is willing to praise him.

Can you attribute the quote?
Tekno doesn't believe in the Quote button.
"One of the most disgraceful and blatantly racist person I have ever seen in my life time, and he's running the country. I still don't know how people can defend this guy."

It's easier to defend him if you are racist.
One of the most disgraceful and blatantly racist person I have ever seen in my life time, and he's running the country. I still don't know how people can defend this guy.

rjinaz

I wonder if he's doing this on purpose now. If he can't beat Obama, he at least wants to go down as the worst possible something.

Well in his mind everything is fake news but what he thinks, so, he probably will be satisfied knowing everybody is lying and he was really the best.

Shoeless

It's kind of crazy that the USA now exercises about the same amount of executive powers without restraint as a typical Banana Republic, only with nukes.

Man, I can't believe it's come to this.

I heard he had to serve 5 years first before you could pardon someone??? So confused now.

Some pardons under the Obama admin were governed by either changes in federal statutes as the DOJ leaned more toward civil rights or time served for sentences beyond reason (which was why Obama focused a portion of his pardons many non-violent drug offenders who were subjected to extreme sentences). There's also an application process to the DOJ that people can make as a sort of moonshot appeal which has a 5 years served threshold. In the end, a President really doesn't have any requirements, however the pardon power is so potent that it is typically very carefully applied. You are going to see a lot of people in and around law and government say this move greatly cheapens the pardon power. It's being used as a political tool, which most presidents on both sides of the aisle have recognized as a hazard to their station. As I said before, Trump don't give a fuck, and for this to be his first pardon? Hoo boy...

cdyhybrid

Republicans and Trump voters are complicit. It's long past the point where they still had the benefit of the doubt. If you're red, you're racist trash that needs to go.

He has worst in modern era locked. He's going for second or thirs worse all time. Hard to beat James Buchanan, but Trump is sure trying to win something. Maybe he wins worst in history.

He's breaking me, guys. I just want to leave and get the fuck outta this country and not come back. This orange fucking turd is quite possibly the worst pile of excrement on the planet, and he's fucking up this country every single fucking second of every single day he's in office.

Fuck.

rjinaz

He has worse in modern era locked. He's going for second or thirs worse all time. Hard to beat James Buchanan, but Trump is sure trying to win something. Maybe he wins worst in history.

I mean Trump is basically trying to kill Democracy and the very ideals of this country so I guess it depends on how well he succeeds but he's looking pretty good for worst ever.

sazzy

This is astonishing.

The President of the United States just used a dangerous hurricane to try and sneak through a pardon for a factual bigot who was convicted for racial discrimination.

Something needs to be done. We can't keep doing this.

He was convicted for contempt of court.

Whatever it is, Trump's legacy is being an insecure loser. Not just for him. Failure is the Trump brand's legacy. Maybe it's a big FU to his dad. Rot their family name.

Top Bottom