• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
He has the right to do a lot of things. Don't let that stop you from getting angry about it.

Yashar Ali �� @yashar
. @seanhannity will be interviewing Sheriff Joe Arpaio exclusively this evening a Fox News spokeswoman tells me.

barf.

I am not even shocked, waste of oxygen.
4E5gOSY.gif

So instead of focusing on providing help for a state during a hurricane, Trump:

Finalized banning trans people from the military
Pardoned a racist without DOJ approval
Lost another person in his admin

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Every single person that still supports Trump is either an avowed hateful piece of shit or ignorant to the point of being fully delusional and entirely divorced from reality. There is no middle ground.

I really don't know what kind of person you would have to be to like Joe Arpaio. Even if you're one of those "blue lives matter" goofs, and you're totally okay with violating the rights of racial minorities and "suspected criminals", the dude still failed to investigate sex crimes targeting children and harassed other people working in the community solely out of despotism.

Like, who does this dude have to fuck with for people to say "okay this guy is a problem"?

It is a super important distinction. He was never convicted of a criminal act outside of refusing to follow a court order. He was never charged with any other crime. There was a civil law suit against him and he lost. He refused to abide by the judgment of the court.

I'm not sure why we are having a difficult time understanding each other. What did the judge originally tell him not to do? To stop racially profiling and illegally detaining people. And Arpaio didn't stop, and therefore he was found in contempt. There is a direct link between those two things and it's not helpful or insightful to try to separate them. I don't understand why you want to.

However, as an aside, I wonder why we don't have more limitations of pardons? I would have thought the judicial process was ups have to be completed before a pardoned could be given. Obviously that's not the case, and I wonder if there is logical reason for such an oversight.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is astonishing.

The President of the United States just used a dangerous hurricane to try and sneak through a pardon for a factual bigot who was convicted for racial discrimination.

Something needs to be done. We can't keep doing this.

GamerSoul

It's fairly obvious why people are still defending Trump, they're just as racist as he is.

Racism I can understand, but it's the overall level of illusion of a segment of the US population that I can't. To say the least, his business knowledge is clearly not translating to the White House.

I'm not sure why we are having a difficult time understanding each other. What did the judge originally tell him not to do? To stop racially profiling and illegally detaining people. And Arpaio didn't stop, and therefore he was found in contempt. There is a direct link between those two things and it's not helpful or insightful to try to separate them. I don't understand why you want to.

However, as an aside, I wonder why we don't have more limitations of pardons? I would have thought the judicial process was ups have to be completed before a pardoned could be given. Obviously that's not the case, and I wonder if there is logical reason for such an oversight.

Logical, no. The people who gave the president those powers didn't foresee someone like Trump getting elected. Remember, back then, the president couldn't win by popularity contest.

Zolo

Racism I can understand, but it's the overall level of illusion of a segment of the US population that I can't. To say the least, his business knowledge is clearly not translating to the White House.

If it's not racism, it's making libtards angry.

Not

Banned
This is astonishing.

The President of the United States just used a dangerous hurricane to try and sneak through a pardon for a factual bigot who was convicted for racial discrimination.

Something needs to be done. We can't keep doing this.

Not until the billionaires have some more money DAMMIT

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Consider that Trump does this literally right as a category 4 hurricane makes landfall. That's how fucked this guy is.

Finalizer

I mean, he clearly doesn't care about optics, and racism is his most consistent position, so I don't see his this is surprising. Infuriating, sure, but entirely expected since the rally.

Zolo

I mean, he clearly doesn't care about optics, and racism is his most consistent position, so I don't see his this is surprising. Infuriating, sure, but entirely expected since the rally.

Eh.....Trump's image is one of the things he cares most about. I think this is a result of becoming more and more unhinged though as well as just deciding to double-down on his base while striking out at his "enemies".

Please let the pardon be invalid... If that's even a thing.
There doesn't seem to be any indication there is. It just doesn't follow procedure.

Pastry

Banned
Absolutely disgusting that they are using a major national disaster as cover for this. As a Texan in the path of this storm it is so incredibly disturbing.

Beartruck

Reminder that Arpaio still has multiple civil cases against him and a pardon is an admission of guilt. So Trump helped him avoid criminal charges, but his life will get fucked now from civil charges. Oops.

WedgeX

Banned
So if the Department of Justice didn't write the pardon...who did?

Was it an old draft by DOJ lawyers, or someone within the White House?

Not

Banned
Reminder that Arpaio still has multiple civil cases against him and a pardon is an admission of guilt. So Trump helped him avoid criminal charges, but his life will get fucked now from civil charges. Oops.

I have no doubt Arpaio is screwed by other means. But we still have to hold the Orangutan Oaf to task for his disarming of the judicial branch.

Top Bottom