• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

LifEndz

So what do Manafort and Flynn have to worry about cooperating over? They will get pardoned if they personally sold the keys to the WH to Putin.

No one is flipping.

The recipient of a presidential pardon loses the right to plead the fifth for anything related to the underlying criminal act, and can be compelled to testify. Pardoning Flynn, Manafort, Trump Jr or any of his cronies may they have to testify as to what they know about collusion. Acceptance of a pardon is an admission of guilt.

Not

Banned
But pardoning someone for violating a court order? That is saying the judiciary is no longer a coequal branch of the government. It is declaring the executive branch superior to the judiciary. This is a violation of the separation of powers and a huge blow against the rule of law.

ONCE MORE FOR PEOPLE IN THE BACK.

Spread this everywhere.

Thread title is not actually correct. He was convicted of criminal contempt of court for failing to follow a court order.

This is super important because while pardoning someone for violating civil rights laws, while clearly horrible, isn't constitutionally problematic. The president can do it no question.

But pardoning someone for violating a court order? That is saying the judiciary is no longer a coequal branch of the government. It is declaring the executive branch superior to the judiciary. This is a violation of the separation of powers and a huge blow against the rule of law.

This is just semantics. He was abusing civil rights and the judge told him to stop, then he was found in contempt. Technically he is pardoned for contempt, but the act was abusing civil rights. They are very directly linked and it serves no meaningful purpose to try to separate the two.

aceface

Between doing an end run around the judiciary like this and his promises to shut down the government and basically dissolve congress if he doesn't get his way, I'm convinced Trump is an existential threat to democracy in the US at this point. Even Republicans in congress don't like him, I hope they are willing to step up to the plate for impeachment as this becomes more clear. The only people who will be pissed are the 36% of the population who are Trump supporters and just happy they can be openly racist again. These idiots will be shouted down by counter-protesters every time.

rjinaz

I didn't write we should be desensitized but we should stop being surprised.
We know what he is at this point and it is silly to continue to be shocked by it.

Well I'm certainly not shocked. I seriously doubt anybody on GAF is. But that doesn't stop me from being angry for every heinous act Trump does. I don't think it should either.

Heretic

I'd be angry but Tramp has the right tp pardon and if that's who he chose then so be it. Hoping Mueller comes up with something but I'm starting to think we're in for 8 years of this.

rjinaz

This is just semantics. He was abusing civil rights and the judge told him to stop, then he was found in contempt. Technically he is pardoned for contempt, but the act was abusing civil rights. They are very directly linked and it serves no meaningful purpose to try to separate the two.

True. But did you even read the rest of the post? There certainly seems to be a meaningful purpose just not in the favor of Trump.

I'd be angry but Tramp has the right tp pardon and if that's who he chose then so be it. Hoping Mueller comes up with something but I'm starting to think we're in for 8 years of this.

And why can't you be angry just because he can? He can also nuke a country. You going to hand wave that away too because "hey, it's his right".

He has the right to do a lot of things. Don't let that stop you from getting angry about it.

Yashar Ali 🐘 @yashar
. @seanhannity will be interviewing Sheriff Joe Arpaio exclusively this evening a Fox News spokeswoman tells me.

barf.

Between doing an end run around the judiciary like this and his promises to shut down the government and basically dissolve congress if he doesn't get his way, I'm convinced Trump is an existential threat to democracy in the US at this point. Even Republicans in congress don't like him, I hope they are willing to step up to the plate for impeachment as this becomes more clear. The only people who will be pissed are the 36% of the population who are Trump supporters and just happy they can be openly racist again. These idiots will be shouted down by counter-protesters every time.

As somebody who is surrounded by the 35% they need to be ignored. Catering to literally the worst our country has to offer gives them political power. Republicans are pathetic because they can't see this. All they see are a passionate part of their base they want to massage.

If such a large part of your party's base is made up of Trump supporters, you need to change your base.

L Thammy

I don't give a shit if Trump has the right to be a racist asshole, I care that he's a racist asshole and is using the highest office in the world to enable his action as a racist asshole.

So if he pardons someone who raped and killed children then we should be like, whatever, because he has the right?

Fuck that. He has pardoned a horrendous person purely because that person supported him.

True. But did you even read the rest of the post? There certainly seems to be a meaningful purpose just not in the favor of Trump.

You can and should say that Trump doing this is challenging and broadness of the power of the executive branch - I've said something to that effect in this thread - but I also don't want people to forget that Arpaio was charged for continuing to abuse civil rights despite a judge order. That's important.

Thread title is not actually correct. He was convicted of criminal contempt of court for failing to follow a court order.

This is super important because while pardoning someone for violating civil rights laws, while clearly horrible, isn't constitutionally problematic. The president can do it no question.

Great point, this is a real stain on democracy.

rjinaz

You can and should say that Trump doing this is challenging and broadness of the power of the executive branch - I've said something to that effect in this thread - but I also don't want people to forget that Arpaio was charged for continuing to abuse civil rights despite a judge order. That's important.

It is.

WedgeX

Banned

As I posted earlier, the Founders made it clear that abusing the pardoning powers is grounds for impeachment.

Not

Banned

8 years from now, we're unsalvageable, friend. We're Second World for a longgggg time.

L Thammy

Excuse my ignorance, but what did this guy do?

See:

For those unfamiliar with Joe Arpaio:
qGuCfd6.png

Tovarisc

ACLU

President Trump has pardoned former Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona, who was found guilty of criminal contempt for deliberately violating a federal court order that prohibited illegal detentions based only on suspicions about immigration status.

The ruling stems from an initial lawsuit brought by Latino residents of Maricopa who successfully challenged Arpaio’s policies of racial profiling and illegal detentions. The plaintiff class was represented by the American Civil Liberties Union and partner organizations. Arpaio repeatedly flouted court orders in that civil rights case, leading to both civil and criminal contempt rulings against him.

ACLU Deputy Legal Director Cecillia Wang said:

“With his pardon of Arpaio, Trump has chosen lawlessness over justice, division over unity, hurt over healing. Once again, the president has acted in support of illegal, failed immigration enforcement practices that target people of color and have been struck down by the courts. His pardon of Arpaio is a presidential endorsement of racism."
https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-comment-trump-pardon-joe-arpaio-0

He forced units assigned to covering sex crimes against minors (of which he received many) to start on an illegal operation to curb "illegal" immigrants through unlawful detentions. He then opened investigations into anyone who criticized him, at one point arresting a duo of reporters and keeping them in jail over night. He also cost his county millions in lawsuits and misspent resources.

But that's just a taste of his bullshit.

Not

Banned
As I posted earlier, the Founders made it clear that abusing the pardoning powers is grounds for impeachment.

Not if the GOP can give insanely rich people those SWEET, SWEET TAX CUTS

I bet that's honestly what half the Founders (the representatives of each colony, anyway) really cared about.

Man, the myth of America really is just being destroyed. Russia PWNED us.

snap

Banned

Illegally targeted Latinos and people of color through the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office. A court ordered him to stop, and he continued to do it anyways. He was found guilty of that.

This is the relevant part, but he's also been very controversial due to tons of other crap he's pulled. The type of person who Trump would love.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He forced units assigned to covering sex crimes against minors (of which he received many) to start on an illegal operation to curb "illegal" immigrants through unlawful detentions. He then opened investigations into anyone who criticized him, at one point arresting a duo of reporters and keeping them in jail over night. He also cost his county millions in lawsuits and misspent resources.

He operated self described "concentration camps" in which women and children slept outside in tents in 100+ degree Arizona heat

aceface

What you need to know about this guy is that he was violating the civil rights of Hispanics, the courts told him "stop violating people's civil rights," he said "lol, no" and the court threw him in jail. Then Trump stepped in and said "Fuck you courts!" and set the guy free. Now any crazy asshole can do any crazy shit they want as long as Trump agrees with it. Trump basically stripped the power of the judiciary. He should be impeached for violating the separation of powers laid out in the constitution.

Of course the racist orange chooses to release this crap and Gorka's resignation smack dab in the middle of a huge hurricane hoping News won't give it too much attention.

It is a super important distinction. He was never convicted of a criminal act outside of refusing to follow a court order. He was never charged with any other crime. There was a civil law suit against him and he lost. He refused to abide by the judgment of the court.

Top Bottom