• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

Nafai1123

Banned
Dude/Dudette, please do not underestimate the over-served elite, wealthy liberal, coastal class that run the Democratic party. Their isolation and detachment from reality is our greatest enemy/threat.

I maybe hysterically wrong, and I hope I am, but I am sure Hillary is getting the 2020 nomination. They tried to hand it to her in 2008, but Obama was too good, they handed her the nomination in 2016 with no legitimate threat. The Democratic elite are desperate to push her up the hill, as if no other women are capable of running for president.

There is a chance the party rank and file rebel and a solid option ends up overtaking her during the primary, I hope, but there is no doubt in my mind Hillary will start the 2020 nomination process with all super delegate votes in her back pocket.

Praise the Sun Goddess, I hope I'm wrong.

You're hysterically wrong....about everything.

faisal233

f4bc511d-79b4-4bb3-8b03-c6192dbf3a35.png

Freedom caucus....

Dude/Dudette, please do not underestimate the over-served elite, wealthy liberal, coastal class that run the Democratic party. Their isolation and detachment from reality is our greatest enemy/threat.

I maybe hysterically wrong, and I hope I am, but I am sure Hillary is getting the 2020 nomination. They tried to hand it to her in 2008, but Obama was too good, they handed her the nomination in 2016 with no legitimate threat. The Democratic elite are desperate to push her up the hill, as if no other women are capable of running for president.

There is a chance the party rank and file rebel and a solid option ends up overtaking her during the primary, I hope, but there is no doubt in my mind Hillary will start the 2020 nomination process with all super delegate votes in her back pocket.

Trump is pardoning racists, caping for neo nazis, banning Trans fron military service - basically wiping his ass with the Constitution, and here we are worrying about Hillary.

Goddamn I hate this country. People have lost their fucking minds.

Trump was a terrible candidate in 2016, and he's going to be in a worse position in 2020.

Yeah, he can still win if the Democrats put up someone even more unpopular than Clinton, but hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Posts like this just read like refusals to make an intelligent decision

RPGCrazied

Trump is not winning another term, fuck sakes people. He has a 34% approval rating 7 months in, its only going to get worse. I think its safe to say he might not even last his full term, let alone the rest of this year.

Believe it or not, there is a sizable contingency within the DNC that still prioritizes winning presidential elections. I think the idea that the DNC is going to keep forcing the re-nominaton of Hillary Clinton until the day she or the party dies is a bit hysterical.

The DNC is lacking in self-awareness in a lot of ways, I'll grant you that, but nobody is going to re-up Clinton.

Trump is not winning another term, fuck sakes people. He has a 34% approval rating 7 months in, its only going to get worse. I think its safe to say he might not even last his full term, let alone the rest of this year.

He wasn't going to win the republican nomination...
He wasn't going to win the presidency...
Here we go again.

If you're worried about that you'll be happy to know there's a primary election in the first half of 2020 where voters actually pick who will be the Democratic party's candidate for President. A lot of people don't seem to know this, and so they were surprised in 2016, but now you've got three and a half year's head's up!

That is not the DNC's job.

The super-delegate system prevents a fair competition. I don't trust the process.

This is BS and it is perpetuated. The people that voted for Trump were mostly not struggling.

What the DNC is not good at by comparison is the ability to spin and reject reality as some sort of partisan delusion.

I said middle-class/blue collar, I never said struggling. Why you assume those things are one in the same is up to you to figure out.

Nobody said 2020's election has to be legitimate.

RPGCrazied

He wasn't going to win the republican nomination...
He wasn't going to win the presidency...
Here we go again.

His approval rating at that time was close to 50%, again, his approval rating is 34% now and will only drop, it will not get better. And yes, I refuse to give up. Fuck that shit.

No more. If it wasn't obvious before he was elected (which it should have been, see:being sued for housing discrimination, Central Park 5, etc, but nonetheless) it's extremely clear after both his response to Charlottesville and now pardoning Sheriff Arpaio that Trump is racist through and through to his bone. Thus, that being said, anyone who continues to support Trump is completely complicit in that racism.

You might say that you only support Trump because he's taken pro-life positions on abortion, that he's trying to create jobs, etc. And that might indeed be why you support him and you absolutely hate the fact that he's a racist fuckwit and despise that part of him.

But nonetheless, if you continue to support him, you accept that having a racist fuckwit in the Oval Office is an acceptable trade-off to have someone who's against abortion, protecting guns, or whatever the case may be as the President of the United States. And no matter what reason you may have, no matter how deeply and passionately you care about those things, having someone who doesn't give the slightest fuck about the civil rights or basic humanity of your fellow Americans and sees them as garbage and so clearly doesn't give the slightest fuck about them should be absolutely, completely 100% non-negotiable.

After all, if it were you, were Trump to be racist and to fundamentally not give the slightest fuck about your humanity and give not even dogwhistles, but flat out megaphones to racists that your race doesn't matter, that your rights don't matter simply based on a color of your skin or your ethnicity/heritage, if you can even slightly begin to conceive of such a thing, people hating you for factors beyond your control decided at the time of conception and wishing you dead simply because of those traits, and the President of the United States of all people giving those people the loudest possible signal that he's on their side and feels that they're right, if you can even slightly begin to conceive of such a thing, even slightly, then you would no doubt hope that no matter what your disagreements with others may be, no matter how much you otherwise don't see eye-to-eye, that people would have your back and not let that type of thing go unchecked. That no matter what your disagreements may otherwise may be, that such a thing is completely 100% unacceptable and as loudly and sharply rebuked as possible, as loudly and forcibly as this dogwhistle to racists letting the President know that he's on their side is, if not moreso.

If you can even slightly begin to conceive that, and would hope and pray to god that people would stick up for you in that type of situation, then whatever your reason for supporting Trump up to this point, I would only hope that you would do likewise for the people affected by decisions like this and let the President know that your support does in fact come with strings attached and is not 100% unconditional: that being basic respect for the humanity of your fellow Americans, no matter their skin color, no matter their ethnicity, no matter their religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc, are human and protected by the rights bestowed to them on the city, state, and federal level and protected by the Constitution of the United States of America and that getting on a megaphone and giving racists the loudest possible message that he does not in fact give the slightest fuck about the Constitution and the rights it gives them as Americans and instead says they, the racists, are the ones that are right and that he's got their backs, not the Constitution's, not rule of law, but the backs of racists and that's what he chooses to prioritize and emphasize.

If you can even slightly begin to imagine what that's like, even slightly, and put yourself into the shoes of those affected by stuff like this, if it were you who had to deal with the President of the United States essentially getting up on stage and saying that "You know what? Racists are right! People's rights don't matter simply because of the color of their skin or where there from and they're rights are completely negotiable! Fuck the Constitution, fuck rule of law and due process, and all of that nonsense! You racists have the right idea! Keep on keeping on!" and how terrifying that is, how completely 100% terrifying that is, and how, no matter what other differences you may have, that people would nonetheless have your back and say that this is absolutely, 100% not in any way alright and must be condemned in the loudest and clearest terms possible, because that's what you would naturally hope people would do for you if it was you on the other end of that, so please, please do the same and make it clear that whatever your reasons for supporting Trump up to this point, that this is a bridge so far and that if he's going to get on a megaphone and tell racists that they have the right idea, that that's just way too far and you cannot, absolutely positively cannot support him if that's the position he's going to take.

After all, that's just an extension of the golden rule in the end, really. One of the most basic and fundamental concepts possible--treat others the way you want to be treated. If you can even slightly imagine that situation, even slightly, and even slightly understand how terrifying that must be and hope that people would do the same for you if was you, then do the same for them, and make it clear that your fellow Americans rights aren't up for debate and that giving racists a thumb's up on a megaphone is just way too much. It's what you'd want if it was you, the way you'd want to be treated, so treat your fellow Americans the same way, and give them the same courtesy and respect. Treat them the way you'd want to treated. The Golden Rule. Please.

Of course, you don't have to do that. Can't make you do anything. You do have freedom of speech and the right to make your own decision. But realize that that's a two-way street and other people have their freedom of speech as well and we're free to use it to criticize and critique your decisions as well. Know that if you choose to do that, to continue backing him even now, deciding that stopping abortion, protecting your guns, etc, are that important to you that you're willing to overlook this no matter how much you personally despise it, that even if it completely eats you up but you're still willing to support him anyway because that stuff is that important to you, that you're complicit.

You don't have to make that decision. You could chose otherwise. But in that case, you're deciding that whatever the case, that those things are worth more than respecting the basic humanity of your fellow Americans and worth the President of the United States giving racists a thumbs-up and you will be loudly and sharply criticized for that as well. As that is your decision, and something you have to completely, 100% own. No one is making you come to that decision. If that's what you decide, it's your's, and your's alone, so own it and accept the fact that despite not having to, despite having alternatives (such as calling for the impeachment of the President and just letting Pence become President, who would still be pro-life, support gun rights and all that anyway), that you nonetheless are willing to throw your support behind that and accept that for whatever reason. If you accept that though, if you accept that despite not in any way being compelled to and make that of your own choice, you must accept that that is your choice and no one else's and that your complicit in empowering that type of racism.

But like I said, you don't have to. Just think of the golden rule. Treat others the way you want to be treated. If you'd want others to have your back, have their's. Otherwise, accept the consequences that if you aren't willing the have the backs of others, that they won't have your's. That's a two-way street, after all, and the corollary for that. If you don't have the backs of others, if you aren't willing to have their backs, you can't then be upset when they refuse to have your's. That makes no sense. So make your choice, but please do your best to consider that from not just your own perspective, but the perspective of those affected by stuff like this, as that's no doubt the courtesy you'd want if it was you would could be affected by something like this, so please, please return the favor, alright?

I know this post was kind of long and meandering, so if anyone actually did take the time to read this, thanks! Like, seriously, thank you! xD Can't make anyone read a post like this, so if you took the time to read it, and think about it and reflect on it, that's definitely awesome and I appreciate it. So well, yeah... Thanks! xD

pigeon

Banned
No more. If it wasn't obvious before he was elected (which it should have been, see:being sued for housing discrimination, Central Park 5, etc, but nonetheless) it's extremely clear after both his response to Charlottesville and now pardoning Sheriff Arpaio that Trump is racist through and through to his bone. Thus, that being said, anyone who continues to support Trump is completely complicit in that racism.

I been saying

(Well put.)

His approval rating at that time was close to 50%, again, his approval rating is 34% now and will only drop, it will not get better. And yes, I refuse to give up. Fuck that shit.

My advice to those would be, prepare as though he very well could win re-election - because he can - but stop short of taking it as an inevitability. Don't let it take the fight out of you.

Trump is pardoning racists, caping for neo nazis, banning Trans fron military service - basically wiping his ass with the Constitution, and here we are worrying about Hillary.

Goddamn I hate this country. People have lost their fucking minds.

What would you have me do, we are powerless because the DNC can't win enough elections.

How do you want me to stop Donald Trump?

I donate to the following organizations:
ACLU
Center for Constitutional Rights
Southern Poverty Law Center
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
Trevor Project

I vote, what else?

The only way to stop this is to demand a better Democratic party.

What else can I do?

pigeon

Banned
What would you have me do, we are powerless because the DNC can't win enough elections.

How do you want me to stop Donald Trump?

I donate to the following organizations:
ACLU
Center for Constitutional Rights
Southern Poverty Law Center
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
Trevor Project

>Says the DNC can't win elections
>Doesn't give money to or support the DNC
>thoughtful emoji

FStubbs

I mean, he clearly doesn't care about optics, and racism is his most consistent position, so I don't see his this is surprising. Infuriating, sure, but entirely expected since the rally.

Being a Putinist is his most consistent position, with racism a close second.

Anticol

Banned
He is the reflection of an ugly side of America that unfortunately wielded too much power for this election.

He is not the reflection of the majority of us.

Really? Thats nott what wee are seeing, you guys tried to hide it for too long even convincing yourselfs that you were always good and just but thanks to Trump the reality is showing.

stupei

Jesus fucking Christ.

Yup, I'm sure every single even vaguely brown person felt quite safe. Oh wait, they're not white, so they don't count.

How about the hundreds of rape and sexual assault victims he willingly ignored. Oh wait, they were women, so they don't count either.

Fuck both of these cunts.

Even the white people weren't safe. Homicide rate went up 166% under Sheriff Joe.

Hell, that doesn't even sound like it's a very safe environment for police to do their jobs in either. Wonder if that bothers the Blue Lives Matter people!
No, I don't.
We know.

L Thammy

Being a Putinist is his most consistent position, with racism a close second.

His most consistent position is his desire to reset history. Trump's main goal is to erase the Obama era so that he can pretend that there never was a black president. Even before he was the president, he sought to prove that Obama's victory was illegitimate, because if it was, then there really wasn't a black president, only a pretender.

Racism isn't a close second. It's number one.

cdyhybrid

Gladly.

If not supporting a worthless organization that tolerates losing and incompetence makes me "part of the problem", then so be it.

I will not support the DNC as long as it remains the party of old, white people.
If you prefer what's going on now over something else, more power to you. Live your truth.

L Thammy

Gladly.

If not supporting a worthless organization that tolerates losing and incompetence makes me "part of the problem", then so be it.

I will not support the DNC as long as it remains the party of old, white people.

So I guess when you say "I didn't vote for Trump" to defend yourself in online arguments, you're going to be omitting that you either didn't vote or voted for a third party, knowing full well that it would realistically be either the Trump or the Democrats that win?

stupei

Let's end this derail about one person's personal feelings about the DNC. The thread's about something that matters.

old

The party of accountability doesn't think they need to be accountable to the law.

Accountability is only for the other side.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not going to give them money.

I don't think the nomination process is fair.

I think the people running the party are representative of the constituency.

You: what do you expect me to do to fight white supremacists, I am powerless
Me: support the party that opposes them
You: nah
Me: thoughtful emoji

Barzul

I'm not going to give them money.

I don't think the nomination process is fair.

I think the people running the party are representative of the constituency.
Enjoy 4 more years of Trump then. People like you are the absolute worst. All hysterics with purity tests. Seriously your apathy to Trump's presidency means you deserve 4 more years of him. Because if you didn't you would actively support the only party that has any chance of unseating him. Trump isn't bad enough for you to care yet clearly.

Top Bottom