• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

So what do Manafort and Flynn have to worry about cooperating over? They will get pardoned if they personally sold the keys to the WH to Putin.

No one is flipping.

DarkKyo

lAyA4VA.png

gimmmick

You fucking piece of shit. You think if Obama repaid a campaign promise of pardoning an embradement that is Arpaio, I'm pretty sure the house republicans would have already voted for articles of impeachment before the ink even dried up.

GamerSoul

One of the most disgraceful and blatantly racist person I have ever seen in my life time, and he's running the country. I still don't know how people can defend this guy.

HylianTom

Banned
They're loving this, someone who treated immigrants like subhuman scum has been pardoned by their lord and savior Trump! what is there not to love for a Trump supporter.

sean-connery-as-professor-henry-jones-in.jpg

I will borrow a few words from Professor Henry Jones: as far as this century goes, these folks are the slime of humanity.

BigDes

One of the most disgraceful and blatantly racist person I have ever seen in my life time, and he's running the country. I still don't know how people can defend this guy.

It's fairly obvious why people are still defending Trump, they're just as racist as he is.

Arcia

Banned
This motherfucker...

Well, if I make it through this hurricane, I'll be upset and angry with the rest of you. Too busy feeling terrified of flooding atm

"One of the most disgraceful and blatantly racist person I have ever seen in my life time, and he's running the country. I still don't know how people can defend this guy."

It's easier to defend him if you are racist.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You can tell the crazy people from the sane people if they still believe Clinton is as bad as Trump. Well even before he became president really

Not

Banned
What about this presidency isn't Constitutional Crisis and look how many fucks GOP gives.

Yeah. We finally see just what they'll allow in a President. I think the GOP really just represents America at its core, and how it was founded. We SHOULDN'T be surprised.

It's pretty simple. Trump, after the controversy surrounding his equivocation about Charleston and essentially sending a message that bolsters white supremacists in our country, his first pardon is to a sheriff who was found in constitutional contempt of court and guilty of civil rights abuses. This is who Trump pardons first.

It sends a clear message, and any republican who isn't specifically and strongly fighting against this president is complicit. Trump is literal testing the strength of our democracy and we are failing.

WedgeX

Banned
The Washington Post maintains an archive of documents related to Watergate. Among them is a special report from the Congressional Judiciary Committee in 1974.

Constitutional Grounds for Presidential Impeachment: said:
Comments in the state ratifying conventions also suggest that those who adopted the Constitution viewed impeachment as a remedy for usurpation or abuse of power or serious breach of trust. Thus, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney of South Carolina stated that the impeachment power of the House reaches "those who behave amiss, or betray their public trust."60 Edmund Randolph said in the Virgina convention that the President may be impeached if he "misbehaves."61 He later cited the example of the President's receipt of presents or emoluments from a foreign power in violation of the constitutional prohibition of Article I, section 9. 62 In the same convention George Mason argued that the President might use his pardoning power to "pardon crimes which were advised by himself" or, before indictment or conviction, "to stop inquiry and prevent detection." James Madison responded:

f the President be connected, in any suspicious manner, with any person, and there be grounds tp believe he will shelter him, the House of Representatives can impeach him; they can remove him if found guilty...63

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/watergatedoc_3.htm

Trump has to be purposefully doing this horrible shit on a Friday night of a major emergency with a storm, hoping to draw less attention to this. Pussy.

Alavard

Of course Trump would pardon a racist who ignored reports of children being sexually assaulted.

Trump has to be purposefully doing this horrible shit on a Friday night of a major emergency with a storm, hoping to draw less attention to this. Pussy.

It doesn't appear to be working very well.

Thread title is not actually correct. He was convicted of criminal contempt of court for failing to follow a court order.

This is super important because while pardoning someone for violating civil rights laws, while clearly horrible, isn't constitutionally problematic. The president can do it no question.

But pardoning someone for violating a court order? That is saying the judiciary is no longer a coequal branch of the government. It is declaring the executive branch superior to the judiciary. This is a violation of the separation of powers and a huge blow against the rule of law.

Empty

trump is like a corrupt, authoritarian central asian dictator who fills their capital city with bronze statues of themselves transported to the us presidency. arpaio said nice things about trump for years and helps fight the lying MSM so the rule of law simply shouldn't apply to him.

Top Bottom