• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Says He'll Show Off The US Military In Parades

Status
Not open for further replies.
VI7p0vx.jpg

All according to Trumpkeiku

jmood88

There has to be some counterpoint to everyone on this forum who is determined to invoke Godwin's Law whenever he as much as sneezes.

He isn't even President yet. Do I think some of his policies are likely to be disastrous? Yes - particularly around schooling, where DeVos has clearly just bought the job and her will continue reforms that haven't worked and probably can't in the current, low regulatory environment. In terms of healthcare and tax reform I'm pessimistic but will wait and see. Obamacare is deeply flawed (in large part thanks to the Republicans, but then you also have people like Cory Booker who voted just the other day against allowing drugs to be parallel imported from Canada), and the tax code is overly complicated, but you want any replacement to be both more efficient and more equitable.

Oh and military parades are dumb. But I thought that was a given, and I don't care that much as it's not a big issue.
No, we don't need more devil's advocates around here.

frontovik

Banned
Flashy stuff is unnecessary..

At least the Russians have cause to show off due to their efforts in their Great Patriotic War..

There has to be some counterpoint to everyone on this forum who is determined to invoke Godwin's Law whenever he as much as sneezes.

He isn't even President yet. Do I think some of his policies are likely to be disastrous? Yes - particularly around schooling, where DeVos has clearly just bought the job and her will continue reforms that haven't worked and probably can't in the current, low regulatory environment. In terms of healthcare and tax reform I'm pessimistic but will wait and see. Obamacare is deeply flawed (in large part thanks to the Republicans, but then you also have people like Cory Booker who voted just the other day against allowing drugs to be parallel imported from Canada), and the tax code is overly complicated, but you want any replacement to be both more efficient and more equitable.

Oh and military parades are dumb. But I thought that was a given, and I don't care that much as it's not a big issue.

Like I said before, nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the way he conducts himself. As PEOTUS, Trump's approval ratings has gone down during his transition period rather than up, which is completely abnormal. There's a reason. Saying "He isn't even President yet" does not make sense as a response. A President is supposed to spend their transition period assuring the nation that everything will be in good his hands and so far, he's done the opposite. People in this thread are bringing up fascism because this is far from the first time he's displayed Authoritarian behavior.

To everyone bringing up non-dictatorships that have military parades, lets review:

Non-dictatorships have military parades to celebrate specific holidays, usually the Independence Day of that nation.

Dictatorships meanwhile just have military parades not to celebrate specific holidays, but to just constantly promote ultranationalist mentality.

So if Trump just wants these parades for July 4th or Veterans Day, that's fine. But if he just wants to constantly have military parades to feed his ego, then this is yet another dictator action.

woopWOOP

"Are you ready?” he told the Post. “‘Keep America Great,’ exclamation point.”

Trump then interrupted the interview to ask his lawyer to apply for a trademark for the phrase.
This is something straight out of a wacky comedy film, featuring a wacky incompetent president

Haha, only in movies, only in movies

Joni

We have them too, the issue is its him suggesting it and he's suggesting more of them with more military grandstanding.

And it doesn't directly hurt anyone but it's an effective propaganda tool and a huge drain on resources.
It is a drain of resources, it takes away this material from potential war zones. It has a chance of diverting some expensive stuff away from countries he could attack to showboat. And even if he just wants to showboat and waste a lot of money on it, it is still way way way way better than everything else he promised.

Exile20

Link
Trump made the comments while talking about his campaign and its slogan, "Make America Great Again." He revealed an option for a slogan for his 2020 re-election campaign to the Washington Post.

Trump then interrupted the interview to ask his lawyer to apply for a trademark for the phrase.

This has to be fake, no way man. No way he said that. No fucking way.

Trey

Every day this man adds something I never thought I'd ever have to worry about or think about to the list.

You just cherrypicked a fraction of the issues the people have with Trump to have some sort of counterpoint?

It is a drain of resources, it takes away this material from potential war zones. It has a chance of diverting some expensive stuff away from countries he could attack to showboat. And even if he just wants to showboat and waste a lot of money on it, it is still way way way way better than everything else he promised.

Fair enough.

Somebody better tell him that these guys already got that one locked down

PEY-11.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Trump must have a really, really small dick. He's insecure about everything.

Polari

You just cherrypicked a fraction of the issues the people have with Trump to have some sort of counterpoint?

? I just picked a couple of policy examples that came to mind to respond to the idea that I defend everything he does. Criticising people here for sensationalising everything he does isn't defending him.

jelly

I see you clarified, but yikes. That sort of thing gets people sent to your house.

Really, I thought we were on the same page with the leaks, find something please from the agencies before the 20th. Guess I'll be more clear next time.

Ponn

Banned
I wouldn't consider it being a devil's advocate.

I gotta tell ya, might want to reconsider what you consider then. Never seen people put so much work in defending someone they supposedly dislike as the same people that keep popping up.

Darkgran

“I never thought I’d be giving [you] my expression for four years [from now],” the President-elect said when he returned to the interview. “But I am so confident that we are going to be, it is going to be so amazing. It’s the only reason I give it to you. If I was, like, ambiguous about it, if I wasn’t sure about what is going to happen — the country is going to be great.”

Wow.

This man will be President in 2 days...

Dishwalla

Banned
As eye rollingly patriotic as those are, they take place on military property and require you to go to them specifically.

Fleet Week does not take place on military property, actually it's pretty much the exact opposite. It's a bunch of sailors in uniform going throughout the civilian town, usually in places like New York, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, New Orleans(where I did my fleet week), etc. Not sure about others, but I didn't have to march in a parade when we did our fleet week.

I think people comparing this proposal to what other nations do, or have done in the past, are looking at this from a very superficial level.

The issue isn't military parades in itself but his interpretation that such parades are indicators of strength; something that must be shown, visually, to others in order for it to be acknowledged.

But what does it say to us when the incoming President equates greatness with showcasing military might?

It's in stark contrast to Obama's view on American power, unsurprisingly. Responding to allegations of weakness following the refusal to intervene militarily in Syria and Ukraine, Obama chose to frame 'strength' through the United States' "diplomatic alliances, economic clout, military strength, cultural influence" etc. Although confident in his declarations that the US was the undisputed military power of the world, through his words and actions, he saw the military as one of many tools of equal importance. Whether or not you agree with his interpretation, or his actions in regards to this, he clearly held a more nuance position.

Trump's query on whether they could trademark "Keep America Great" underscores his thinking in all of this; a keen salesman whose not entirely sure what he's selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom