• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Says He'll Show Off The US Military In Parades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my godddddd does nobody tell him to just shut the fuck up??? Does he have friends????
Not really. And think about the type of person who would be Trump's friend. Do you think that person likely disagrees with Trump?
As somebody that served in the US army I'll say that we were shown off in parades all the time. This registers on the lowest shelf of things to harp on Trump for.
I doubt he is thinking about the typical hometown parade or display at the armory. Nothing wrong with those, but do you not suspect that Trump would love to host the equivalent of the Nuremberg Rally? He wants to stand on the veranda as an endless parade of armor and troops, all under his command, pass in front of the White House (never mind that's not how the city is laid out).
HAHA. Every time I see someone mention The Onion, I die a little inside. It never gets old. We're possibly fucked aren't we?
The Onion's been eerily spot-on before: Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' and Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades. All bets are off.

How positive/negative people in the military view him? I mean, how much support did he have from the military people during election?

The military is quite conservative among the rank and file according to exit polls, It was generally speaking a 3 way split with Johnson, Clinton, and the orange.

plenty of countries do this fyi
still a waste of taxpayers money though :3

It doesn't matter what other countries do, it's associated here with communist dictators, despots, and banana republics. All it does is play to the lowest common denominator of the same morons who will say they're patriots while flying the traitorous confederate flag.

The amount of idiocy and ignorance in any thread about Donald Trump has to be unacceptable at this point. Fucking hell, so military Parades are reserved for autocratic governments? And somehow because trump wants one to be held its obvious the US is becoming Nazi Germany? Christ, gaf is getting worse everyday, talking points and reactions you will see in far right wing websites are showing up with alarming frequency here, unreal.

rjinaz

The amount of idiocy and ignorance in any thread about Donald Trump has to be unacceptable at this point. Fucking hell, so military Parades are reserved for autocratic governments? And somehow because trump wants one to be held its obvious the US is becoming Nazi Germany? Christian, gaf is getting worse everyday, talking points and reactions you will see in far right wing websites are showing up with alarming frequency here, unreal.

Ignorance about Donald Trump? What?

I mean sure if you ignore everything that Donald Trump has done, is doing, or wants to do, him being immediately focused on the military isn't concerning at all.

Ignoring all context, a military parade is harmless. I, however will continue to assume the worst of Donald Trump until he gives me a reason not to.

Dishwalla

Banned
^^If you want to see the military do parades down Pennsylvania Ave., you think it'll be "neat", how about you join up and take part yourself? Instead of throwing military members who may not want to do this under the bus. Not here for your entertainment buddy.

Ignorance about Donald Trump? What?

I mean sure if you ignore everything that Donald Trump has done, is doing, or wants to do, him being immediately focused on the military isn't concerning at all.

Ignoring all context, a military parade is harmless. I, however will continue to assume the worst of Donald Trump until he gives me a reason not to.

I didn't say ignorance about him, but that doesn't matter does it.

^^If you want to see the military do parades down Pennsylvania Ave., you think it'll be "neat", how about you join up and take part yourself? Instead of throwing military members who may not want to do this under the bus. Not here for your entertainment buddy.

Ahh, you are here to protect and serve, I forgot. Parade has to be the worst thing you can do, positively soul crushing. You come out of it scarred for life.

The amount of idiocy and ignorance in any thread about Donald Trump has to be unacceptable at this point. Fucking hell, so military Parades are reserved for autocratic governments? And somehow because trump wants one to be held its obvious the US is becoming Nazi Germany? Christian, gaf is getting worse everyday, talking points and reactions you will see in far right wing websites are showing up with alarming frequency here, unreal.

There's a simple solution to all your woes.

It's the equivalent of "La La La can't hear you, but you are wrong."
Most of GAF still are sour after Trump beated Hillary after they thought it was a landslide victory for the Democrats, so they will use any argument or excuse to shit on Trump (a big chunk of it is deserved though).

Ms.Galaxy

The amount of idiocy and ignorance in any thread about Donald Trump has to be unacceptable at this point. Fucking hell, so military Parades are reserved for autocratic governments? And somehow because trump wants one to be held its obvious the US is becoming Nazi Germany? Christ, gaf is getting worse everyday, talking points and reactions you will see in far right wing websites are showing up with alarming frequency here, unreal.

Donald Trump, the man who has shown to have a lot of racist, authoritarian, ultra-nationalist tendencies, the same man who constantly attacks and threatens the constitution and various standards of ethics, wants to have military parades...

Do you understand why people are worried? The man constantly acts like a fascist, speaks like a fascist, and has surrounded himself with literal neo-nazis in his administration. So when the fascist wants military parades, it's clear as to why he wants it. It's not for the pride of the country, to honor the brave men and women who sacrifices their lives for this country. It's for his own inflated ego to be stroked because he controls those brave men and women. It's a display of his power.

Tzeentch

Pro Tip: The US military participates in parades all the time, for events large and small. We just don't really have anything fully equivalent to the huge military 'festivals' that some countries do (though events near big bases on July 4th come pretty close).

Kite

How positive/negative people in the military view him? I mean, how much support did he have from the military people during election?

military_times_overall_poll_results_10_19_16.jpg

Wulfric

In my personal experience, the younger enlisted personnel don't really like him. The ones who did were (unsurprisingly) from the South. But in general, the enlisted side tends to vote conservative. Officers (who are college educated) are more liberal, but not as much as the general population. The pie chart from Kite does a good job of showing this.

This also doesn't include the fact that the military (enlisted and commissioned) is younger than the population as a whole.

PBalfredo

"Are you ready?” he told the Post. “‘Keep America Great,’ exclamation point.”

Trump then interrupted the interview to ask his lawyer to apply for a trademark for the phrase.

I actually had to pause and check to make sure the source wasn't The Onion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's going to be interesting to see how Americans react to the creeping importation of strong-man Russian-style political culture that Trump seems keen to impose. We've seen it the beginnings of it already in how he handles the press. I think you'll see more and more of it slipped in. It's very sad to see.

norinrad

Really isn't this how oppressive regimes always start? Good intentions, let's motivate the people, how about some patriotism? Until it gets out of hand.

UberTag

It's going to be interesting to see how Americans react to the creeping importation of strong-man Russian-style political culture that Trump seems keen to impose. We've seen it the beginnings of it already in how he handles the press. I think you'll see more and more of it slipped in. It's very sad to see.
They'll undoubtedly be receptive to it so long as the right targets are demonized. Whether it's turning the people against the media, the protesters, people who don't look like them, some foreign terrorist threat boogeyman or simply deflecting like an expert as soon as anyone of note raises an eyebrow or an objection.

Really isn't this how oppressive regimes always start? Good intentions, let's motivate the people, how about some patriotism? Until it gets out of hand.

There's two kinds of parades. Ones that are actually about the military like the ones in France and the smaller ones that happen in towns across the USA. Then there are ones that are all about glory to the leader and authoritarian power displays like in Russia/China/Iran/North Korea.

Now knowing Trump and his lifetime of dodging the draft, lack of charitable giving to veterans, insulting McCain for being a PoW, his feud with a gold star family, and so on. Which one does anyone with any rational thought process do they think they are getting with him? He has worn out his benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

Mimosa97

Mmmhh I'm french and even though we're not beacons of patriotism we still hold a massive parade every fourteenth of july. I used to really enjoy them when I was a kid.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just remember, that in the end, progress wins. We will have the last laugh.

Sure. But history has shown it could take generations. Yea, I'm being selfish in that regard.

Edit:

I'll be completely OK with our military marching if we blast "Hell March" while they're doing it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom