• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truth & Trolls |OT| The Brothers Were Right

malfcn

RPG Maker Web

So how did you learn about RPG Maker? From a friend? From an enemy? Randomly ran into it on the internet? Tell us about your story.
Kenzie

@RPGmakerweb Wanted to make my 1st RPG @ summer camp that used RPGMaker. Didn't work out, but used RPGMaker & <3 it. Even taught my Dad!

Didn't work out.
Does that mean she is "done" with it?

inm8num2

Didn't work out.

She never started. :)

I really, really wish I could find the post in the other thread where I predicted this all would happen sometime back in April.

edit - I should stop acting like I was the only one. Everybody who posted in that thread saw through the b.s. and predicted $usan's every move. Sorry guys, I just needed the feeling of a small victory.

inm8num2

Sera O deserves a prize.

The alternate thing she might do is "Kenzie's now so stressed out she's sick, and she's only 9 you guys! As a mom I'm drawing the line out of concern for her health - unless you want to support this other project (on my own site) to have some pro game devs finish Kenzie's dream project on her behalf since she really, really wants it to be made."

That's pretty darn close and I bet that will be $usan's excuse. "My daughter is too stressed out to finish this, plus the new school year is starting soon."

inm8num2

ROFL. foobarry, you crack me up.

egbW1bD.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
Maybe Susan could issue an official statement saying that CEO Kenzie is currently very ill from all the Chillable Red Table Wine she drank. If she really wants to prove her entrepreneurial savvy maybe she should sue the company, it's one of North America's favorite pastimes!

And holy crap at Foobarry's awesome postcard, I forgot about that! Potential new FundHer twitter picture?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, to be honest making even a pretty basic RPG is actually quite a bigger project than she though. It's easy and all, but it can take quite some time.

Of course, I have no clue how easy RPG Maker is.. but I remember back in the day when my friend and I were kids we used Adventure Construction Set to make the major epic RPG of the decade "ATTACK OF THE DILDO BUNNYFUCKERS".. which sadly was lost on a forgotten floppy disc over the years.

It was actually not half bad.. I think... I spent way too much time on it though.

inm8num2

The overall takeaway is that a game was never intended for completion and release. Maybe the kid thought she was making a game, but $usan exploited her child's interest in games for her own personal gain to the tune of $25,000.

$usan hit all the right notes in her campaign. Her every move was textbook manipulation by a low level sociopath, but it worked on well-intentioned people. She capitalized on the feel-good nature of helping kids to make games.

She can spin this and say her child gained a lot of experience thanks to the backers. Even if some of them complain and ask about the money, she doesn't even have to respond. Use the child as a shield yet again - "She really tried, guys!"

Game over, you lose. And you deserve it, you gullible fools.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Nah, I actually think there is/was intention to make a game.

Shit looks easy if you just look at pictures and screenshots of RPG Maker. It makes it seem like it'll make the game for you.

Thing is that's not how it works.. it actually does take time to make even something past complete utter shit level.

The overall takeaway is that a game was never intended for completion and release. Maybe the kid thought she was making a game, but $usan exploited her child's interest in games for her own personal gain to the tune of $25,000.

$usan hit all the right notes in her campaign. Her every move was textbook manipulation by a low level sociopath, but it worked on well-intentioned people. She capitalized on the feel-good nature of helping kids to make games.

She can spin this and say her child gained a lot of experience thanks to the backers. Even if some of them complain and ask about the money, she doesn't even have to respond. Use the child as a shield yet again - "She really tried, guys!"

Game over, you lose. And you deserve it, you gullible fools.

yeah I really don't blame her that much. I blame mostly kickstarter for not taking this down and the gullible fool who fail for the obvious money scam.

Didn't work out.

I think we all want to read this as if she's done with the game.
But imo it just means that she wanted to go to camp, but that "the going to camp" didn't work out, and that she still learned RPG Maker on her own, and taught her dad.

Edit: Susan is now also a member at Deviantart, btw. So she's also an artist now, next to a game designer, all round entrepreneur and the messiah of women in STEM. Makes sense she joined Deviantart, as that is where she got the (real) artist who did the Truth and Trolls cover art. I don't see why she needs cover art though, because you can no longer preorder the Deluxe Physical Release Exclusively Signed by the GamerCEO. Or maybe they had to stop taking preorders, because so many people preordered it that Kenzie has been too busy signing all those copies, which delayed the game even further!

Shaneus

Also this:

$usan forgetting which account she's using again?
Ahahaha. That's what I'm loving about it. Because obviously, @GamerCEO should be using her @Alienware laptop from @Dell CEO @MichaelDell to tweet with, and not the same PC @FundHer uses.

Edit: Holy shit:
0hSp154.png

"Didn't work out". Gave up pretty damn easily. So what happened to all that money?

inm8num2

Edit: Holy shit:
http://i.imgur.com/0hSp154.png[/IMGs]

"Didn't work out". Gave up pretty damn easily.[B] So what happened to all that money?[/B][/QUOTE]

It went to something less philanthropic Costanza's Human Fund.

The backers should feel good about themselves. Instead of $usan buying her daughter a laptop, she essentially got a free one, a couple of free flights, and $25k to help fund and organize the next scam.

Genuinely glad it turned out this way. Now I get to watch people rationalize the reality of the situation and somehow find a way to convince themselves they didn't get conned by a selfish piece of shit.

inm8num2

Seems like she's saying RPG Camp didn't work out, not the game.

She ($usan) is saying she (the kid) wanted to make a game at camp, but it didn't work out.

As in, making the game didn't work out...not that it should surprise anyone. This was never about a game. It was a fundraiser for $usan's entrepreneurial pursuits.

Kickstarter commenter said:
Dominic about 9 hours ago

Update would be nice to know what is going on or the obstacles stalling the release of what is available.

At least some backers still want a game. About those "obstacles", Dominic... I thought Susan has already clearly stated that it's mentally and physically impossible for a 9 year old to make this game. Weren't you paying attention before?

What would be the best time to spill the beans about the game not coming at all? Would a two week period or radio silence be considered too short? Do they need a month in order to create a more dramatic impact?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I want this to keep going to provide the maximum amount of content for a five hour American Greed special.

Geniuzz

So, almost 3 weeks later and no update yet. Hmmm, even though you can't fault a kid for not pulling through on the development of this game her mother promised the world, you can scratch your head with the lack of updates for backers. By now even the most naive backer should have a little concern whether this game he/she invested in is going to appear at all. This can't be good publicity for KS or any public funding scheme, no matter how you slice it.

So, almost 3 weeks later and no update yet. Hmmm, even though you can't fault a kid for not pulling through on the development of this game her mother promised the world, you can scratch your head with the lack of updates for backers. By now even the most naive backer should have a little concern whether this game he/she invested in is going to appear at all. This can't be good publicity for KS or any public funding scheme, no matter how you slice it.

I don't think KS will be too bothered by how this turns out:
- they already have their part of the loot in.
- the media generally loved this project. No journalist is going to willingly admit that they were wrong and that the internet trolls were right; certainly not after they've blatantly ignored everything that was known beforehand about Susan Wilson.
- if ever this backfires on KS they will point at their Terms ("we are not liable"), and they will likely also point out how other companies like Dell were also "tricked" and that Susan had set up a very clever scheme.
- KS already released an general apology not too long ago. They can refer to that and state that they are a new company nowadays and that Susan's scam was from "back in the old days".

Geniuzz

I don't think KS will be too bothered by how this turns out:
- they already have their part of the loot in.
- the media generally loved this project. No journalist is going to willingly admit that they were wrong and that the internet trolls were right; certainly not after they've blatantly ignored everything that was known beforehand about Susan Wilson.
- if ever this backfires on KS they will point at their Terms ("we are not liable"), and they will likely also point out how other companies like Dell were also "tricked" and that Susan had set up a very clever scheme.
- KS already appointed an general apology not too long ago. They can refer to that and state that they are a new company nowadays and that Susan's scam was from "back in the old days".

I guess you're right in how this will play out. Anything critical will be considered trolling. In that sense, Susan has pre-emptively taken care of any criticism. The fact remains that 20 days after the deadline she set herself, there is no info, there is no game. Indeed, the brothere were right.

inm8num2

Ann Williams ~ Dream Traveler ~ 1 day ago

Seriously, everyone, it's a kickstarter - this kid isn't Bethesda. Give it a rest.

Last gasps of people avoiding the true nature of the project - a fundraiser for $usan's future endeavors. It was never about the kid or a game - those were just selling points to manipulate people.

Gold Member
The high horse fuckwits that wrote articles defending this project were the worst. Every single one of them can go die in a fire. The fact that none of them have the deceny to apologize or admit they were wrong... just disgusting. Pathetic weasels.

Lol steady on there, I completely agree their journalism sucks balls but wishing them dead is taking it a bit far dude. I'm hoping you didn't mean that literally lmao. At the end of the day as much as I detest her, no one has been hurt by Susan's antics, the dumb ass backers willingly gave her their money and defended her to the hilt - even after reading the KS comments which had many valid concerns. In my mind the journos that reported it badly are way down the idiot list :)

Last gasps of people avoiding the true nature of the project - a fundraiser for $usan's future endeavors. It was never about the kid or a game - those were just selling points to manipulate people.

Ahhh the denial is strong, but we knew it would be. Who wants to admits they were conned after all!

RIP Truth & Trolls - We knew you little & loved you less.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

How can a person know about Bethesda but not realize this is a--

Never mind. They probably don't need their own money anyhow.

Diggeh said:
How can a person know about Bethesda but not realize this is a--

Never mind. They probably don't need their own money anyhow.

Because it's Ann Williams!

Dat Ann Williams...

I also loved her previous comment on Susan's scam:

the quicksilver Ann Williams said:
Seriously, this money could go towards (and probably won't make a dent in really though) her college education which is enough for me; not sure what is going on here exactly but I knew there would be the trolls appearing who have nothing better to do with their lives than over-analyze a woman's effort to get her kid interested in something for when she is older. Seriously, an article on how old the girl is really? I could have a kid now and when I'm 43 she would be 9...I'm 34 and normally would be still able to have kids. I recommend to the internet trolls going to find something else to do, like playing one of those games where you can be lite and dominate in a game that does nothing to improve your overall life except give you a false sense you've accomplished something. Games should be fun, some people make them decidely less so.

Apr. 18, 2013 on 9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... TRUTH & TROLLS!.

Syntax

Because it's Ann Williams!

Dat Ann Williams...

I also loved her previous comment on Susan's scam:
That's kind of impressive. Does she realize that she's supporting the idea of a little girl being encouraged to pursue a career in gaming and, then, turning around and mocking that entire industry/pastime? She's also saying it's okay that the money will go to Kenzie's college fund, a clear fund-my-life-project at that point.

From the two comments I've read from her my impression is she's blindly pro-women.

That's kind of impressive. Does she realize that she's supporting the idea of a little girl being encouraged to pursue a career in gaming and, then, turning around and mocking that entire industry/pastime? She's also saying it's okay that the money will go to Kenzie's college fund, a clear fund-my-life-project at that point.

From the two comments I've read from her my impression is she's blindly pro-women.

The sad thing is that she's completely missing her own point (the one she brought up in her 1st comment): if Kenzie would actually deliver a game, if Susan kept her promises and at least posted some updates now, that would be when Kenzie would actually learn something for her future life: that you can't just ask for people's money with nothing in return. If Susan were somewhat of a decent parent, she'd now show her daughter how to act responsibly, and be accountable for this mess. But that, ofcourse, was never her intention anyway.

Ann Williams is just still in denial about all of this.

inm8num2

It's okay, though. Kickstarter removed their restriction on "fund my life" projects after $usan came aboard. I hope it was worth the $1,250 in revenue.

Where is this game?!?!?! My hype levels are decreasing.

You will get it...

freedictionary.com said:
(jargon) When It's Done - A manufacturer's non-answer to questions about product availability. This answer allows the manufacturer to pretend to communicate with their customers without setting themselves any deadlines or revealing how behind schedule the product really is. It also sounds slightly better than "We don't know".

Well, not really. But anyway, I suppose Susan and Kenzie are on another holiday with the $24K right now.

Because Susan was going to announce another 5 winners of her LIFE CHANGING IncubateHer program on August 15th, and she missed that deadline too. It's probably because she didn't listen to Philip Tan.

http://www.fundher.com/#!incubateher/chb0

Rouse

What do you reckon this Phil Tan from MIT makes of all of this? Has anyone attempted to contact him for his views?

Syntax

Just checked their website:
What is not allowed?

• Kickstarter cannot be used to raise money for causes, whether it's the Red Cross or a scholarship, or for "fund my life" projects, like tuition or bills.
So it's still there in writing. Have they officially retracted that part and just not updated the page?

Just checked their website:

So it's still there in writing. Have they officially retracted that part and just not updated the page?

No, what it said originally was "no fund my life projects like tuition fees", which was exactly what the $829 was for, and it also said that you couldn't buy stuff for it like a laptop (I don't remember what the exact example was), which Susan also planned to do before she got one for free.

They made the guidelines a little more vague, so that they can basically allow anything.

But it's weird, because at some point I remember it was even more vague. Maybe there's still something about it in the old thread.

Syntax

Checked the old thread, first page, it was worded slightly differently but ultimately it's still their call. Kickstarter can cherry pick which campaigns to allow or not allow and people will either determine it as good or poor judgement even if their motives are purely financial.

Found myself reading a few of the comments on the actual kickstarter. Couldn't even make it half way down the first page before I had to close that window. Amazing.

Checked the old thread, first page, it was worded slightly differently but ultimately it's still their call. Kickstarter can cherry pick which campaigns to allow or not allow and people will either determine it as good or poor judgement even if their motives are purely financial.

Found myself reading a few of the comments on the actual kickstarter. Couldn't even make it half way down the first page before I had to close that window. Amazing.

Yes, but I think there was some change for the worse in between what the guideline currently is, and what it was, as shown in the first page of the old thread.

Meanwhile, while going through the old thread I stumbled upon this post from polyh3dron:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55223856&postcount=4414

Look at the email address that sent him the weird email. Annubis found out that is was some dude called Carlos Lima. (Annubis: Very basic/bad detective work shows that Googling opie138 returns this thread and a Youtube account linked to the real name Carlos Lima. http://www.youtube.com/user/opie138)

But! Remember that person whose single post (still the only thing he or she ever posted) mildly shook the old thread? Oppie! Coincidence?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=177303

Parallacs

Yes, but I think there was some change for the worse in between what the guideline currently is, and what it was, as shown in the first page of the old thread.

Meanwhile, while going through the old thread I stumbled upon this post from polyh3dron:

Look at the email address that sent him the weird email. Annubis found out that is was some dude called Carlos Lima. (Annubis: Very basic/bad detective work shows that Googling opie138 returns this thread and a Youtube account linked to the real name Carlos Lima. http://www.youtube.com/user/opie138)

But! Remember that person whose single post (still the only thing he or she ever posted) mildly shook the old thread? Oppie! Coincidence?

haha nice work. I'm sad that Oppie138 never came back to destroy us more with his flawless grammar. I was really thinking it was Julie Brown at the time.

inm8num2

That's some mighty fine detective work right there.

Oppie/Opie/Julie didn't hide her tracks very well.

Indeed: "Good job on what exactly?" :)

aED1CQO.jpg

Susan and 'pretend Kenzie' haven't been tweeting for 8 days now either. So they're probably on the Bahamas recovering from all the stress involved with this huge project.

I'm thinking they'll go with that scenario.

Susan: "I can no longer allow Kenzie to work on this project. It's too demanding for a 9 year old. Did I mention she's only 9? Backers, please understand."

pretend Kenzie: "I'm only 9. I tried to put in the stupid script, but I should've listened to Philip Tan. Also the internet trolls say that I can't do it. They are so mean."

Susan: "The backers shouldn't worry though. Truth and trolls may be out, but the Truth is not out. I will never be. Which is why I will continue to be an industry leader who supports women in STEM. First and foremost through my incubateHer program which remains completely free if you donate NOW at fundher.com! Kenzie proved that it worked! Look at the video's from @MichaelDell in Turkey where Kenzie was the star. And she's only 9!"

Edit: Poor Jess...
bJiWP5i.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Brothers must feel like total swaggers these days. "Well, we did say..."

The downside is they have a sociopath for a mom, so, you win some, you lose some...

Top Bottom