• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truth & Trolls |OT| The Brothers Were Right

Twinduct

So it's out? Better late than never! Kinda expected them to pull another 'Aaah feature creep nooo!' excuse and at the end hope enough people just kinda forget about it.

So, the game is out now? Pay $9.99 and you get a link?

Bs7uqPY.jpg

Source: truthandtrolls.com

"Get all chapters as released." It's just a season preorder, shit ain't out yet.

But it says you'll immediately receive a link to your DRM free download! :)

You'll receive a link alright, it'll just take you to a page that says "here is where you'll find all your downloads as they become available. Please look forward to Truth & Trolls Episode 1, coming never soon!"

Another "release date" missed...

So far Kenzie's not having a panic attack.... yet. But we're slowly evolving towards the 'nervous breakdown scenario'... that Franzia wine she loves so much will be extremely welcome now to prevent her from jumping off a bridge.

Also Susan wants you to encourage her on her fake Kenzie account.

Susan Wilson said:
Final release still pending. Just wanted to update without sending an official update because I'm guessing at this point, most of the 1400 backers don't want to be pinged daily only to be told she wants another day.

Kenzie was REALLY excited before but now she's suddenly a bit nervous about having others judge her work. Not sure if it was because some of her neighborhood friends said things that she didn't love hearing (i.e., it's not Moshi Monsters or an interactive Disney Game). She's not having a panic attack or anything dramatic like that, but I just want to be sensitive and let her decide when to send out the download link to all the backers.

Also wanted to share that the plan is to send a dropbox link to all backers via email (short & sweet) from Kickstarter's back end system to download the game (DRM Free).

If possible, it would be great to get some of you commenting here or on your expectations (i.e., you're NOT expecting a million dollar game that a big gaming company would release) or even tweet her at @GamerCEO. She's not on Twitter all the time and it goes in spurts but if there's good stuff I'll be sure and show her.

Her father and I (and even her brothers) have been really encouraging this week in particular but since she started 4th grade yesterday, I'm guessing it's her growing up and discounting our opinions a bit because we're family and she knows we love her.

Parallacs

The race is on! She has 3 more days to release the game before it is over a month late.

Maybe Susan is trying to join the ranks of Daikatana and DNF

Kaedryl

Neo Member
Well, it would be out but Kenzie's anxious about it and that those mean old trolls will say nasty things. I'm guessing her anxiety will drag on until some one posts anything negative on KS so Susan can jump in with "see, it's done! She's only 9!! Mean troll." And then JCS will post a wall of text about good in the universe, unicorns and stalking.

Also like the prefacing to set expectations low. In all honesty, a short, nonsensical game will be more convincing that she had anything at all to do with it, vs the final product being written to not very convincingly sound 9 years old...@gamerceo. A perfect example is ponycorn. That is what a child directed game looks like.

Well, it would be out but Kenzie's anxious about it and that those mean old trolls will say nasty things. I'm guessing her anxiety will drag on until some one posts anything negative on KS so Susan can jump in with "see, it's done! She's only 9!! Mean troll." And then JCS will post a wall of text about good in the universe, unicorns and stalking.

Also like the prefacing to set expectations low. In all honesty, a short, nonsensical game will be more convincing that she had anything at all to do with it, vs the final product being written to not very convincingly sound 9 years old...@gamerceo. A perfect example is ponycorn. That is what a child directed game looks like.

Surely, this is never going to be a 9 year old's game. The whole story, even the title is just Susan trolling. And now the subtitle: Broken Promises. Really? After you just failed to deliver on the promised release date? She's just mocking the backers. ;-) Also a 9 year old would never come up with diseases called Bieber Fever and One Direction illness or whatever it was. A 9 year old would make heroes of his/her idols in his/her game, not diseases.

A 9 year old would also never come up with an episodical release.

And a mother who cared AT ALL about her daughter would just let her daughter work on the game as long as it takes, until it's done. And explain this to the backers, even take any heat that would come from this, allthough people would probably be really understanding.

Not Susan though, she simply said she discovered (after knowing your daughter for 9 years already, you still have to "discover" this?!) that it was mentally and physically impossible for her daughter to get this job done within just a few months.

I wonder how much product placement from Susan's friends there will be in the game. :)

Franzia wine
shopsy.com
Dell
Kickstarter

Seriously? She needs reassurance from backers that they aren't expecting an Obsidian RPG?

Just pull the supportive comments from earlier in the project, this is such a joke.

Parallacs

Lol, something about manifest beauty and full human experiences.

So are you still qualified to get the game? The way Susan attacked you and rambled about cancelling your donation was silly.

So, the game is out now? Pay $9.99 and you get a link?

Bs7uqPY.jpg

Source: truthandtrolls.com

Edit: my advice: DON'T BUY this game, btw. :) Go to Humble Bundle instead and get 10 real/fun games for the same price (or less), and redirect all of it to ACTUAL charity.

All that image needs is Comic Sans and it'd be perfect. Why would you use those colors against black text? >.>

Kaedryl

Neo Member
Lol, something about manifest beauty and full human experiences.

So are you still qualified to get the game? The way Susan attacked you and rambled about cancelling your donation was silly.
Oh yeah, I'm still getting the game, when/if its released. Hot game like this, it could possibly end up as a torrent or file share...

Because, lets be honest, I would download a car.

By "all chapters" she really means "zero chapters".

The backers already got a prologue and credits video. A lot of AAA games don't even have a prologue video, so I'd say the 'contract' with the backers has been fulfilled.

And have you seen how spectacular that preview video was? It showed no less than 5 generic screenshots (and 2 of those from the same market place) and a ton of window dressing.

inm8num2

The backers already got a prologue and credits video. A lot of AAA games don't even have a prologue video, so I'd say the 'contract' with the backers has been fulfilled.

And have you seen how spectacular that preview video was? It showed no less than 5 generic screenshots (and 2 of those from the same market place) and a ton of window dressing.

Yea it blew me away. If I didn't know about the kickstarter nature of the game, judging the quality I'd guess the game were made in MIT Games Lab or something. :p

Muku

And this Susan...... is why you let your child learn on his/her own. Build their own game on their own time and without a penny (except for buying RPG Maker). Especially other folks money. Now you've put her under pressure no 9 year old should feel.

This just keeps being a trainwreck. :/

And this Susan...... is why you let your child learn on his/her own. Build their own game on their own time and without a penny (except for buying RPG Maker). Especially other folks money. Now you've put her under pressure no 9 year old should feel.

This just keeps being a trainwreck. :/

Agreed, but a lot of parents do this. Like the ones who enroll their kids for beauty pageants and such. I think those kids can be under a lot of pressure too.

These people usually don't ask other people for money for "their daughter's project" though.

Geniuzz

Around 30 days late, no real update, just some downscaling of expectations the 1400 backers might have. I have nothing to add, I just thought this thread deserved another bump.

It's suSCAM and her SCAMzye daughter allrite..
If she's using her daughter for some media flash she's trash..
If she's just raising her daughter to be the next suSCAM they're both..
Really humanity never cease to amaze...

I am shocked that there is still no game.

[Joseph mode] This is a testament to the perfectionists that are the Wilson family. They have incredible eye for quality and the tenacity to keep going that extra mile, and would not offer the game to their backers until it's the most immersive experience out there, rivaling the greatest expressions of art mankind has ever produced. Kenzie is already the leading lady of a new wave of game directors that will shake the game industry like none have ever done before them, delivering emotions to the public they didn't even know they had..[/Joseph mode]

malfcn

Why is the website under construction for the game release? If it is done then release it. Or at least reset the site to how it was before it was gutted. Game out by the end of the year?

Why is the website under construction for the game release? If it is done then release it. Or at least reset the site to how it was before it was gutted. Game out by the end of the year?

It's the stupid script! They should've listened to Philip Tan!

It's all just window dressing, really. Susan wants to make it seem like they are super busy, working hard, doing something at least. That's all she's been doing ever since this project started:
- pinkiesquare.com (Hey, look! We're helping other kids now!)
-> although I just noticed they added a tab. You can now submit your game to Susan. We should submit Waqar's Quest. :)
- incubateHer. Hey, look! We're also empowering women! The first life changing course has passed for already a month now and still no news posted about how succesfull this first ever edition was? And the second course is starting tomorrow. I don't think anything has happened at all. Also, the names of the "winners" of the first course have been removed from the site. Two of those names were the ladies from themommygamers.com, and the course wasn't even mentioned on their blog as far as I can see. So this seems to be just another scam.

There's no reason for the website to be under construction, because she won't even share the game through that website. She already said she'd just send out Dropbox links.

But yes, they need to restore the website to its original form. People still need to know about how Kenzie's project was treated differently than that other dude's KS project. So they can donate through one of the many Donate buttons. :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
I feel like I could have started on a 15 minute RPG Maker game when this was originally supposed to have been out, and been done by now.

I feel like I could have started on a 15 minute RPG Maker game when this was originally supposed to have been out, and been done by now.

Well, in her defense, the girl is only 9 (and you are not). And she has a mother incapable of managing even a non project such as this one. If Susan had any interest at all in her daughter, she would have looked before even starting this project into what making a game really is about for a 9 year old, and consequently would've never set the release date so soon. But Susan just never cared about that, and still doesn't. All she cares about is money and her own prestige.

But yes, you are right, this is a sorry display of a KS project.

Interesting comment on KS:

Michael Newlyn Blake said:
Well, I don't know about most people but I neither expect nor want to receive a perfect, mature product. I didn't sign up for a low price, studio quality video game.

I signed up so I could support a kids efforts a learn and develop the craft in an environment free from those pressures and expectations. I signed up so I could watch her world building and story telling skills develop over time.

To be honest, I'd be more disappointed if I received a perfect product at the onset. I'd be suspicious if I received a first chapter so well crafted that I couldn't help but suspect that somebody was doing the work for her, because that doesn't develop skill anywhere near as well as doing and learning from mistakes while doing.

I can appreciate the desire to hold off until things are just so. I'm sure, at some point, she'll realize that nothing is ever just so and release what she has done so far. When I receive that, I will be excited to see how far along she's come and will be eagerly waiting for the next chapter to see how she's improved.

So... Not pressuring because I'm impatient or anything. Just trying to encourage her to embrace this as a learning process and accept the "judgements" of others, constructive or otherwise, as learning opportunities.

And, of course, to thank her for allowing us the opportunity to experience this process with/through her.

Oh... One more note. Part of the discovery process is, often, learning that something isn't for you.

I hope this isn't the case but, if it is, that's also part of what I signed up for. One doesn't back a child in a long term project without accepting the risk that they may lose interest. Well... rational people don't, at least.

I would certainly not ask for a refund because, as I said, this is part of the risk in supporting a kid trying to explore an interest. Sometimes interest wanes. I have no reason to believe there was no sincere effort to make this happen. I have no reason to believe I was conned.

If the project does die prematurely and there is money left over from the kickstarter, all I would ask is that any remainder be put to use supporting some other kids efforts to explore and develop a potential talent.

Again, thank you for helping your daughter take this chance. It was a very brave thing to do, for you as well as her, and I'm proud to have been a part of it.

I fail to see how this is a "brave thing to do" for Susan however. Brave would be when she'd first of all put her own money in there, and actually support her kids to the fullest.

inm8num2

Susan is a master of inception. She's already planted the idea in the backers' minds that they won't see any final product. So now they rationalize with themselves that as long as Philip Tan the kid learned something, that's what is most important. :)

Susan is a master of inception. She's already planted the idea in the backers' minds that they won't see any final product. So now they rationalize with themselves that as long as Philip Tan the kid learned something, that's what is most important. :)

Well, they paid for a tutoring fee after all, even though it wasn't really for a tutoring fee, because as Susan said, she didn't want to violate the KS guidelines.

Those backers are just so meek.

In response to the KS comment,

What process have the backers been involved with?

There has been almost no actual content about the production of the game, besides various comments about people giving her art and help. Maybe if any part of this whole thing felt genuine at all there wouldn't be such a backlash against it. Maybe the panel will help humanize the project, but all pretense of the 9 year old angle needs to be dropped as this is a project by Susan, and for Susan.

Not saying there needed to be 2PP quality videos, but at least something...or anything. Who knows, maybe the making of PDF will shed some light on the development. Also did I miss the release of the pen and paper RPG that was supposed to be released, or is that also non existent at this point?

Well, they paid for a tutoring fee after all, even though it wasn't really for a tutoring fee, because as Susan said, she didn't want to violate the KS guidelines.

Those backers are just so meek.
So they paid for tutoring fee that wasn't a tutoring fee..
What was it then, some pizzapepperoni saturday special?

So they paid for tutoring fee that wasn't a tutoring fee..
What was it then, some pizzapepperoni saturday special?

It was just a pretense to get into people's wallets. :)

In case you missed all that's happened so far, I'll summarize it for you: Susan originally asked for $829, which was the fee for an RPG camp for Kenzie. Because her brothers said she was incapable of making a game. So Susan proposed to prove the brothers wrong by asking for other people's money, which apparently proves you can make a game on an RPG Maker camp. Susan had already paid the $829 by the way, as demonstrated by a document she posted on the KS project page. Then "internet trolls" said tuition fees were not allowed by the KS guidelines, so she said it was all about making a game (that she was going to make on said camp) and more importantly empowering girls and women in STEM in general. Also she was going to buy a $2500 laptop with the money, which was also not allowed by KS guidelines. Fortunately, Dell gave them a free Alienware. So the laptop in her KS project budget wasn't really a laptop either. Anyway, before the KS project ended, Kenzie wasn't even going to that camp anymore. Instead she went for a week to MIT Game Lab, which was completely free. So the $828 that was not needed to begin with, was even less needed at this point. Anyway, that didn't discourage Susan from trying to raise more money. So Kenzie went to MIT, where she ended up not listening to Philip Tan for a whole week, and consequently missed Susan's deadline. Which made Susan vent that Kenzie was mentally and physically incapable of making this game, thereby proving the brothers were in fact right all along. Anyway, a stupid script Kenzie wanted to insert into the game last minute was also to blame for the delay. In fact this stupid last minute script caused a full month delay so far. Or maybe she just passed out for a while because of the Franzia wine (that normally prevents Susan from jumping off a bridge). She was also going to switch engines from RPG Maker to Unity, which may have delayed the project too.

You think I'm making all of this up, don't you?

In case you missed all that's happened so far, I'll summarize it for you: Susan originally asked for $829, which was the fee for an RPG camp for Kenzie. Because her brothers said she was incapable of making a game. So Susan proposed to prove the brothers wrong by asking for other people's money, which apparently proves you can make a game on an RPG Maker camp. Susan had already paid the $829 by the way, as demonstrated by a document she posted on the KS project page. Then "internet trolls" said tuition fees were not allowed by the KS guidelines, so she said it was all about making a game (that she was going to make on said camp) and more importantly empowering girls and women in STEM in general. Also she was going to buy a $2500 laptop with the money, which was also not allowed by KS guidelines. Fortunately, Dell gave them a free Alienware. So the laptop in her KS project budget wasn't really a laptop either. Anyway, before the KS project ended, Kenzie wasn't even going to that camp anymore. Instead she went for a week to MIT Game Lab, which was completely free. So the $828 that was not needed to begin with, was even less needed at this point. Anyway, that didn't discourage Susan from trying to raise more money. So Kenzie went to MIT, where she ended up not listening to Philip Tan for a whole week, and consequently missed Susan's deadline. Which made Susan vent that Kenzie was mentally and physically incapable of making this game, thereby proving the brothers were in fact right all along. Anyway, a stupid script Kenzie wanted to insert into the game last minute was also to blame for the delay. In fact this stupid last minute script caused a full month delay so far. Or maybe she just passed out for a while because of the Franzia wine (that normally prevents Susan from jumping off a bridge). She was also going to switch engines from RPG Maker to Unity, which may have delayed the project too.

You forgot the part about her having all the Keep Up! gear ready to ship out as soon as the Kickstarter finished meaning she more then likely had ordered all this stuff for a previous venture.

zhorkat

Well, I guess you have to buy the laptop in the first place...

Plus, kickstarter had a "no fund my life projects" policy until Susan came along.

But how would buying a laptop which would presumably be used in the creation of a game be a violation of a policy against funding "life projects"?

Finally...they are vindicated.

Vaco6121

But how would buying a laptop which would presumably be used in the creation of a game be a violation of a policy against funding "life projects"?

From the kickstarter :

Where's the Money Going?

"I really want a new laptop but my Mom said I should start small since I've never done a crowdfunding project before. So the $829 will be used to cover the basic cost of RPG Camp...My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp. But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more. My Mom said I can put any extra toward a laptop"

Makes it clear that she just wanted a new laptop and not one to use for the creation of a game.

Top Bottom