• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish Referendum |OT| ...With a Thunderous Applause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Don't know what the view is abroad, I wouldn't fully deny the possibility that Erdoğan himself was involved, but there's a consensus within the country.

Um, Erdogan completely controls the consensus within the country. That's how these things work. Major dissenting voices and whistleblowers ended up in jail. UK, German, French and US intelligence were HIGHLY suspicious of the claims of the Turkish government. And that's almost irrelevant given the behaviors and nature of arrests following "the coup."

If it disrupts the local market in such a way to even discourage sustenance-farming, then yes. Why work to create a solution if it quite literally comes falling from the sky?
If the region is dying from hunger, the local market is already disrupted.

Like I said, the problem is exports. If those farmers could export to the EU, US, China, etc, freely, then we would be giving them a solution. But they can't, and letting them do it would disrupt the markets there.

Hopefully the African Union can replicate the EU model and provide free movement of goods and people, so they have their own market over time that competes with the other global powers.

Um, Erdogan completely controls the consensus within the country. That's how these things work. Major dissenting voices and whistleblowers ended up in jail. UK, German, French and US intelligence were HIGHLY suspicious of the claims of the Turkish government. And that's almost irrelevant given the behaviors and nature of arrests following "the coup."

Fair enough. Don't know how I got persuaded about that.

Jackpot

Banned
In a way, yes!

Africa's chronic famine can be attributed to it's regular and extensive foreign aid intake.

If i were a farmer i would have to take a loan to purchase a plow, crop seeds and the manpower to dig irrigation canals, but that's not a bad thing, because flour and vegetables are valuable in my region and once the harvest is brought in, i will be rolling in cash, pay my debt, and maybe expand the operation next season with more hired villagers to keep the vermin out, pull the weeds out quicker and make a bigger cistern for the dry seasons.

But before the corps even breach the hard sunbaked soil, these planes start darkening the sky!

02-19-2016AirDrop.jpg

The area around the village is pelted with bags of rice, nuts and flour! my crop will be worthless now! Now i would have to default, the investing party will make a point never to loan money to Africans again, and i am ruined and worst of all, my people still won't be self-sufficient and will starve after another two years.

And that's how a little luxury can go a long way in ruining a society.

all this gibberish aside, how can emergency food relief in response to a famine be the cause of said famine?

Where is all this luxury that is responsible for Africa's dire state through the creation of "weak men"?

Lucumo

all this gibberish aside, how can emergency food relief in response to a famine be the cause of said famine?

Where is all this luxury that is responsible for Africa's dire state through the creation of "weak men"?

He has a point in that foreign "help" isn't helping them with becoming self-sufficient. Though, maybe that isn't their intention in the first place.

(Also, I liked that "gibberish".)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Very convenient you've now decided 60% rather than a supermajority to avoid the Irish example. To pick another case, then presumably you therefore think that the EU should never have been founded?

I never said a super majority in the first place because and all I said was that a 50+1% was to low? And no, they should've tried again with a high threshold. Sorry! I'm consistent about this.

This is pretty much the only thing Florida got right. It should be hard to make changes like this! That's the point!

cameron

https://twitter.com/AP/status/854011783564185600

He's gotten off to a fast start.

Terrible
AP:
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has rejected international monitors' criticisms of Turkey's referendum, insisting the vote was the "most democratic election" seen in any Western country.

Addressing supporters outside his palace in Ankara, Erdogan said Monday that Turkey would ignore the findings of the OSCE monitors.

Erdogan said: "First, know your place! We won't see or hear the politically motivated reports you prepare."

The monitors said the procedures used in the vote on expanding the president's powers "fell short" of international standards. They also said a Turkish electoral board decision to allow as valid ballots that did not bear official stamps undermined important safeguards against fraud.

Unofficial results have shown a narrow win for Erdogan, who had backed the "yes" side.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I never said a super majority in the first place because and all I said was that a 50+1% was to low? And no, they should've tried again with a high threshold. Sorry! I'm consistent about this.

This is pretty much the only thing Florida got right. It should be hard to make changes like this! That's the point!

Making changes hard means making positive changes hard, not just negative ones. Over human history, the direction of change has typically if not been exclusively toward protecting the vulnerable, rather than away. Because of this, establishing an entrenched constitution usually if not exclusively benefits the strong at the expense of the weak. I'm not okay with that. I'm disappointed you are.

Jasup

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has rejected international monitors' criticisms of Turkey's referendum, insisting the vote was the "most democratic election" seen in any Western country.

Well, if you say so.

Donos

Holy shit. What is it with guys like Trump and Erdogan makeing such stupid comments, reversing / bending the truth? They know that what they say is total bs.

Less people at inauguration? "Most people at inauguration ever !"

Considered a shady election by a lot of observers? "most democratic election" seen in any Western country"

and so on...

Making changes hard means making positive changes hard, not just negative ones. Over human history, the direction of change has typically if not been exclusively toward protecting the vulnerable, rather than away. Because of this, establishing an entrenched constitution usually if not exclusively benefits the strong at the expense of the weak. I'm not okay with that. I'm disappointed you are.

I'm not okay with the ability to change constitutions over mob rule that can exclusively benefit the strong at the expense of the weak, and I'm disappointed you are.

Joni

Holy shit. What is it with guys like Trump and Erdogan makeing such stupid comments, reversing / bending the truth? They know that what they say is total bs.

Less people at inauguration? "Most people at inauguration ever !"

Considered a shady election by a lot of observers? "most democratic election" seen in any Western country"

and so on...
Considered a shady election by an organization Turkey founded even. They are longtime member of the OSCE.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not okay with the ability to change constitutions over mob rule that can exclusively benefit the strong at the expense of the weak, and I'm disappointed you are.

You know that you've ignored the point I made and just gone back to the start of your argument where you were most comfortable. If you're done with engaging, that's okay, but you don't have to make a tediously derivative response if so.

You know that you've ignored the point I made and just gone back to the start of your argument where you were most comfortable. If you're done with engaging, that's okay, but you don't have to make a tediously derivative response if so.

The point you made was Bad and completely ignores minority rights and I'm sort of aghast at your attempt to justify your bad opinion! But okay, goodbye!

Condom

Some people on my timeline seeing this as a victory over the west, a win for the oppressed etc. Highly educated people too.

Yeah I know.

Madness

Considered a shady election by an organization Turkey founded even. They are longtime member of the OSCE.

Going forward Turkey won't be allowed in many things. Their previous shoot down of russian jets even had most of NATO including the US asking why are these people still in it.

Sultan Erdogan has his country. Watch as economically it craters and socio-culturally starts to mirror authoritarian states. Tourism was already in massove decline, won't be a surprise if it goes down even further now.

Good point made on Belgian TV. The next referendum will be on reinstating the death penalty. We will have Turkey campaigning in the European Union in favour of the death penalty. What a time to be alive.

Joni

Good point made on Belgian TV. The next referendum will be on reinstating the death penalty. We will have Turkey campaigning in the European Union in favour of the death penalty. What a time to be alive.

I hope that leads to the European Union cutting all funding and discouraging tourism. Hitting Erdogan where it hurts the most could bring him back to the table.

Ac30

I hope that leads to the European Union cutting all funding and discouraging tourism. Hitting Erdogan where it hurts the most could bring him back to the table.

To be fair the attacks are already doing that. I was set on going but now? Hell no.

Xater

Some people on my timeline seeing this as a victory over the west, a win for the oppressed etc. Highly educated people too.

Yeah I know.

Oppressed?

People let them vote for a dictatorship. Everyone let them make their shitty bed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If it disrupts the local market in such a way to even discourage sustenance-farming, then yes. Why work to create a solution if it quite literally comes falling from the sky?

Food aid is generally used to disrupt imminent famine. Waiting 6-18 months on the crop to come in won't do anythng for famine in days or weeks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yeah I know.
Yeah this is what bugs me. I can sort of get abject ignorance from very uneducated rural folks, since I'm not familiar with Turkey's education system and the literacy rate among rural Turks so I can't really judge them (I make no such excuses for rural Americans, though), but when actually decently educated people defend the notion of emboldening and empowering a dictator, I just.... SMH

Pyrokai

I wasn't even aware this was going on until today.

What does this mean for Turkey, in layman's terms? The only headline I saw was something about RIP Turkey 1921-2017 and I instantly was worried.

Is democracy truly over in Turkey? Fuck, why is so much shit happening in the world right now?

Hesemonni

Banned
Sultan Erdogan has his country. Watch as economically it craters and socio-culturally starts to mirror authoritarian states. Tourism was already in massove decline, won't be a surprise if it goes down even further now.
B8QW9yw.png

I dunno what I was expecting going to see the Index for Istanbul Stock exchange, but certainly not this.

Ac30

B8QW9yw.png

I dunno what I was expecting going to see the Index for Istanbul Stock exchange, but certainly not this.

He did very well when he took power and was prime minister, hence his popularity, even in Europe at the time. Since 2013-4 however the economy is in flux, he's waging a war and dealing with a refugee problem, all drains on the economy. Withdrawing further from Europe, Turkey's main trading partner, will only exacerbate Turkey's economic problems. He was good at his job, became power-hungry,wiped the free press and painted himself as the savior of Turkey.

http://data.worldbank.org/country/Turkey
http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/turkey/

I wasn't even aware this was going on until today.

What does this mean for Turkey, in layman's terms? The only headline I saw was something about RIP Turkey 1921-2017 and I instantly was worried.

Is democracy truly over in Turkey? Fuck, why is so much shit happening in the world right now?

It isn't truly over. In a weird way the referendum result was a phyrric victory for the opposition parties, since AKP have lost votes since previous election (assuming YES = Support for AKP/Erdogan).

Depending on how the next 2 years go there is a hilariously good chance that Erdogan will not be elected President for the first term of the new constitution.

Ac30

It isn't truly over. In a weird way the referendum result was a phyrric victory for the opposition parties, since AKP have lost votes since previous election (assuming YES = Support for AKP/Erdogan).

Depending on how the next 2 years go there is a hilariously good chance that Erdogan will not be elected President for the first term of the new constitution.

It would be amazing if Erdogan somehow gives the presidency unlimited power, and then loses the presidency almost immediately after - sweet justice.

That might be part of plan - poor people turn into populism easier.

Madness

B8QW9yw.png

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/turkey/publication/turkey-econ-note

Turkey’s growth slowed from 6.1 percent in 2015 to an estimated 2.1 percent in 2016... as depressed consumer and business confidence and tourism revenues fell. Deteriorating expectations are putting pressure on the Lira, while falling banking sector roll-over rates are likely to constrain domestic credit growth. Turkey faces headwinds that will prevent strong recovery, with estimated 2017 growth of 2.7 percent driven by net exports and public spending.

mo60

It would be amazing if Erdogan somehow gives the presidency unlimited power, and then loses the presidency almost immediately after - sweet justice.

That would be hilarious if it actually happened but is their someone good enough to challenge him in the next presidential election that can get past the AKP controlled media, is not locked up in a jail cell and can unite all Anti-AKP voters.

Belgians are pissed off. There is a serious and substantial move from the higher powers to deprive them of dual citizenship, as it should be

http://www.dw.com/en/turkish-expats-living-in-europe-approve-erdogan-power-grab/a-38457205

I'd be looking at the integration rather the technicality of dual citizenship.

Can't help but think if the UK was at the top instead of near the bottom there'd be a huge pile on slamming the UK but because it's good guy Europe, people are like "oh".

Eccocid

In Turkey it is not like that. If the economy goes then support for Erdogan will disappear.

They have been saying that for years and its the ppls only hope for against Erdogan but you should see the way his fanatics talk as if he is a war hero or some kind of messiah... Many ppl are living in bad conditions in inner Anatolia but yet he still gets the support from them.

One of the biggest fault of us (Turkish people) is being very emotional people. Logic and common sense is far behind when it comes to taking decisions lol. I guess it is because of the Islam maybe.

Christhor

I'd be looking at the integration rather the technicality of dual citizenship.

Can't help but think if the UK was at the top instead of near the bottom there'd be a huge pile on slamming the UK but because it's good guy Europe, people are like "oh".

They don't get to fuck over millions of people without any consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom