• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish Referendum |OT| ...With a Thunderous Applause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Ease up on the hyperbole, there isn't any radical Islamic revolution happening in Turkey lol

Give it 10 years... all this does is continue the decline of secular and democratic Turkey into an authoritarian and theocratic islamic state. EU accession is all but dead. This won't help their economic decline which will only fuel more hardliners especially as Kurds are on a breakthrough in Iraq driving away ISIS for good. After the Netherlands and Germany spat, Turkey is also pretty much without any moral diplomacy now.

Islamic lifestyle will never be forced by law on Turkish population. That's not what AKP and Erdogan are about. They just want to remain in power. Religion is a tool to stay there and fool the masses.

Turkey should be federally split into 3 States. Mediterranean and Aegean coasts and Thrace as Atatürk's Turkey. South-East as Kurds. And rest of Anatolia as Erdogan's Turkey.

So shameful that almost two thirds of the Turks in Germany voted for these ridiculous reforms.
Holy shit, just move to Turkey. Cowardice vote with no consequences on your own life but just some nationalist dick waving to give your 'home' country a 'strong' leadership.

But this shows even more why it will be important to do a better job with immigration this time around with the refugees.

This is an apt description of what's happened to Turkey. RIP

X96mpYZ.png

Eccocid

Islamic lifestyle will never be forced by law on Turkish population. That's not what AKP and Erdogan are about. They just want to remain in power. Religion is a tool to stay there and fool the masses.

Turkey should be federally split into 3 States. Mediterranean and Aegean coasts and Thrace as Atatürk's Turkey. South-East as Kurds. And rest of Anatolia as Erdogan's Turkey.

It doesn't have to be with law but can be inserted by social pressure. More and more people are showing less tolerance lately. You can see plenty of hate crime, attacks on secular people in here and it is increasing.

Erdoğan doesn't want to give south east to kurds due to petrol route. That's why he was probing in to northen Iraq and Syria. And he would never ever give up Istanbul for the sake of Anatolia. There isn't anything left in Anatolia we even import wheat now lol.

Yeah, that's not how it works.

Check in 10 years. Turkey is fucked.

It doesn't have to be with law but can be inserted by social pressure. More and more people are showing less tolerance lately. You can see plenty of hate crime, attacks on secular people in here and it is increasing.

Erdoğan doesn't want to give south east to kurds due to petrol route. That's why he was probing in to northen Iraq and Syria. And he would never ever give up Istanbul for the sake of Anatolia. There isn't anything left in Anatolia we even import wheat now lol.

The major cities that voted No will never have Islam forced on it in that way.

Lyng

In my experience, their parents maybe, but young people (some who've never even been to turkey) have been completely brainwashed into the whole "great Turkey, bad West" narrative that Erdogan and his ilk have been spewing for years. They even go do meetings in Europe now to convince them.
People who were born here and will spend all their life here, and yet idealize the country of their parents and constantly shit on their own.
This percentage doesn't shock me in the slightest.

Yep thats it. In Denmark 61% voted yes. And Its all the young ones when you read news article comments. They have no clue and buy the Hitl...eh Erdogan propaganda. Meanwhile their parents are crying. I feel bad for Turkey.

The major cities that voted No will never have Islam forced on it in that way.

And when the president with all the power makes the army full of loyal supporters and then passes a referendum to officially make Islam the state religion punishable by prison and turns the military, police, and militias after dissenters? People really gonna put their lives on the line?

This stuff is happening now because certain people are realizing that while some dissenters will complain loudly, push comes to shove, they ain't gonna do shit about it.

In order to hold a referendum, most countries require you to have legislative assent - i.e., David Cameron couldn't just announce there was going to be an EU referendum, he had to introduce a bill for a referendum into parliament, which was then passed by parliament. This is also the case in Turkey. The judiciary's 'assent' is not required because the point of the judiciary is that they are not law-makers, the only judicial assent you need is that the way in which the referendum is carried out is not in breach of existing laws.

But even if we ignore that and focus on your main point: if you think that constitutional changes should always require supermajorities, if I go to the Irish gay marriage referendum thread, I'll find you complaining about how there wasn't a clear enough mandate, will I? Because I'm pretty sure I won't find you doing that.

Let's be clear: this is a terrible result, and it's an undemocratic result. But that's because Erdogan effectively 'rigged' the election by neutering the opposition. Suggesting an undemocratic measure as a response by making referendums favour the past over the present, especially when the past is normally, if not always, more sexist, racist, and classist, is not the right thing to do.

Is the game now that we can each just name threads of the past and critique each other for not posting in them? That seems like a silly game.

And I do have a problem with the Irish Amendment even if I didn't post in the thread at the time. It's pretty simple. I think that the text of the Amendment is good and I support that aspect of it, but if it can be created so simply, then it can be removed so simply. Or replaced with something truly heinous. I don't like that volatility at all. Not when it comes to Constitutions.

In the Turkey's case, if your Constitution can be so radically changed so quickly and easily, what power did it ever really have? What power can it have in the future as Erdogan continues to reform the country in his own image?

I disagree with your assertion that my stance is undemocratic. Democracy is not a simple majority rule. It is a structure that allows us to self govern in a way that protects from the tyranny of the majority. A Constitution has to be stronger than a strongman Dictator or else it will eventually fail.

system11

And when the president with all the power makes the army full of loyal supporters and then passes a referendum to officially make Islam the state religion punishable by prison and turns the military, police, and militias after dissenters? People really gonna put their lives on the line?

This stuff is happening now because certain people are realizing that while some dissenters will complain loudly, push comes to shove, they ain't gonna do shit about it.

It will start as a series of "protections", for example anti blaphemy laws.

Ogodei

I tend to agree with Stereo. Erdogan should not be underestimated, but all he really wants is power. The danger for Turkey is less about becoming an Islamic theocracy than in descending into Putinism where the AKP higher-ups become a clique who wield power for self-enrichment. Dangerous for dissenters, but not so much for people who keep their head down and mind their own business, which is still a tragic decline for a once-vibrant Turkey.

Quixzlizx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-fourth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Even if we restrict this to changes to the structure of government specifically, rather than constitutionally entrenched structure:

Suppose you lived in a state which allows for legal slavery, and this slavery is instrumental to the way that society (including the government) functions. Abolishing slavery requires a constitutional amendment. Would you argue that it is right and just to require a supermajority in order to abolish slavery rather than just a majority?

I believe we already discovered the solution for that: wait for them to act the fool, then invade and occupy them.

And I'm extremely glad the US does not have national referendums.

Ty4on

Yes. These 'side effects' are almost overwhelmingly a worse situation to be poor, a woman, or a minority in, since making the government change more slowly is defending the past generation's decision against that of the present, and the past generation is normally (if not always) more sexist, racist, and classist than the present generation.
I see it more as a low pass filter. An unstable government controlled by the majority/plurality can and has been devastating to minorities. It doesn't necessarily presume that the older rules are better, but that the better ideas will rise up.

We've seen lately that progress isn't linear. Big pushes for nationalism and racism today come from the younger generations. That's not to say I believe older generations are always right, but that the younger aren't always right. In the big picture there's usually progress as time moves on, but smaller time-frames have a lot of regression.

If we take social progress we can imagine a lot of regression from referendums on say banning same-sex marriage because of the initial backlash. We kinda see this in Russia (though obviously not through a referendum). In minority rights, if we presume the Crimean referendum was valid it could show the Russian majority voting for something detrimental to the Crimean (and Ukrainian) minority.

I don't believe a 66% or whatever majority automatically fixes this, but I believe by slowing it down we can avoid most shifts in the political climate from having permanent effects.
This completely side steps IMO the main issue which is that minorities have very little say in the current systems (in US and Turkey), but that would require a big change :p

Give it 10 years... all this does is continue the decline of secular and democratic Turkey into an authoritarian and theocratic islamic state. EU accession is all but dead. This won't help their economic decline which will only fuel more hardliners especially as Kurds are on a breakthrough in Iraq driving away ISIS for good. After the Netherlands and Germany spat, Turkey is also pretty much without any moral diplomacy now.

It's been 20 years that people keep saying "give it 10 years" and yet nothing of the sort happens.

Yeah nothing has happened. Sure.

If allowing young girl with hijab going to the university is equal "islamic theocracy", so yes...

I don't see any progress of a theocracy going on in Turkey. A slow shift toward authoritarianism and populism, yes.

Even the most radical islamic parties like Saadet are not pushing for sharia in Turkey.

mo60

Embarrassing result for the akp, so much repression and you can't even get a decent win lol

It's kinda hard for the AKP to get much past 50% of the vote in anything(i.e. referendums and elections). The AKP always fails to get above 50% of the vote in parliamentary elections.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Because there are many, many people that are being left behind in a globalized world. This is causing them to radicalize behind leaders like Erdogan and Trump who promise to restore their way of life. And in an age of forced radical change brought upon by the twin forces of technological progress and climate change it's going to get worse before it gets better.

It's time to strap ourselves in and prepare for a fight that is likely to consume the rest of our lives.

Meh. Only a complete fool who utterly ignores history would think giving more power to their country leader is a good idea. "Left behind", fuck that noise. I have zero respect for these people.

Donos

Just showed some voices from the streets in Berlin, one of them "Erdogan is the best leader in the world, if you ask people on the streets who the president/leader of usa or Germany is, nobody knows but everyone knows erdogan"

Smh.

Analyst believe his death sentence announcement is a bluff and he will backtrack now to smooth relations with Germany / EU...

Let's see.

You wouldn't be saying this if Turkey was a centralized presidential system that had just voted for proportional parliamentarism on the same margin; you'd be cheering on the result. One vote is one vote is one vote; you can't change that just when you don't get your own way.

I would? I do not believe that any constitutional changes (or Brexit-esque changes) should require a majority vote, even those I agree with. I would set the bar much higher because stuff like this can happen!

In order to hold a referendum, most countries require you to have legislative assent - i.e., David Cameron couldn't just announce there was going to be an EU referendum, he had to introduce a bill for a referendum into parliament, which was then passed by parliament. This is also the case in Turkey. The judiciary's 'assent' is not required because the point of the judiciary is that they are not law-makers, the only judicial assent you need is that the way in which the referendum is carried out is not in breach of existing laws.

But even if we ignore that and focus on your main point: if you think that constitutional changes should always require supermajorities, if I go to the Irish gay marriage referendum thread, I'll find you complaining about how there wasn't a clear enough mandate, will I? Because I'm pretty sure I won't find you doing that.

Let's be clear: this is a terrible result, and it's an undemocratic result. But that's because Erdogan effectively 'rigged' the election by neutering the opposition. Suggesting an undemocratic measure as a response by making referendums favour the past over the present, especially when the past is normally, if not always, more sexist, racist, and classist, is not the right thing to do.

Yes, you will find my celebrating the gay marriage amendment in Ireland, a law that passed with a 62.07% threshold. Florida requires 60% of a vote to change its constitution -- that's always been a good limit that balances not being overtly draconian in the % needed while also requiring a higher-than-50% threshold to make actual changes to your constitution.

Xater

Just showed some voices from the streets in Berlin, one of them "Erdogan is the best leader in the world, if you ask people on the streets who the president/leader of usa or Germany is, nobody knows but everyone knows erdogan"

Smh.

Analyst believe his death sentence announcement is a bluff and he will backtrack now to smooth relations with Germany / EU...

Let's see.

Every time I see interviews with Turks living in Germany who love Erdogan, they sound just like Trump fans.

Like very little knowledge about what is actually going on, and tons of assumptions that are far off from reality.

Meh. Only a complete fool who utterly ignores history would think giving more power to their country leader is a good idea. "Left behind", fuck that noise. I have zero respect for these people.
A lot of village/rural Turks are quite innocent kind hearted people, who are manipulated by Erdogan/AKP. It's not a Black and White situation.

AKP brutes though, who usually are from urban areas know exactly what they are doing.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So Erdogan used a democratic referendum to give the Turks the choice to keep democracy and the Turks basicly voted (a small majority tho) to give up democracy?

Powwa

Most of the posters here that are acting like an armchair analyst really doesn't know anything about Turkey, not only that they are posting quite ignorant stuff.

Erdoğan has "won" this election with an incredibly one sided propaganda. Think about it even though all TV channels are working for him, using all the resources of the country (such as carrying masses to squares with busses), by breaking the law and showing he is clearly supporting one side in the elections (in constitution it's clearly stated that the president should be neutral), with all the ballot rigging he was only able to get %51 of the votes. He has won but if you watched him talking last night you'd see the lack of confidence in his eyes. He has lost the 3 biggest cities; İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir. İzmir was a given but not only that whole Aegean region and Meditterrenean showed a strong support for No. AKP also has a secret opposition within, there is a big paranoia going on in the party because it's highly possible that some of the ministers were involved with coup that happened a few months ago, so it may cause a big crack within the party sooner or later.

Additionally Turkey's dynamics are much more different than other Islamic countries for it to become an Islamic state, even among Yes voters there is a noticeable crowd that wouldn't agree with that life style. There is also 10 million people who didn't vote for this election and keep in mind if votes from abroad wasn't included the outcome of the election would change.

Opposition needs new faces, Turkish people has always had a weak spot for "strong" looking leaders. Kılıçdaroğlu is an honest and smart guy but he doesn't have the aggressive tone that masses applause. Bahçeli, the biggest reason AKP is as strong as it is today has divided MHP voters into two camps, if he didn't bring up and support this presidential system we would be talking about something different today. There are pretty good politicians who has the brain and the confidence to rule these parties, or even start a new political party. Only problem is these old farts blocking their way, with the new system if one of them can manage to create one, it can be a seriously strong opposition against Erdoğan.

A lot of stuff will happen until the next election so it's going to be interesting. Personally I'm disappointed by the other half of my country but also am aware that they got this result with an unfair campaign. I advice people who are interested in politics to look into Turkish history. It really is quite interesting, especially from a western point of view.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, you will find my celebrating the gay marriage amendment in Ireland, a law that passed with a 62.07% threshold. Florida requires 60% of a vote to change its constitution -- that's always been a good limit that balances not being overtly draconian in the % needed while also requiring a higher-than-50% threshold to make actual changes to your constitution.

Very convenient you've now decided 60% rather than a supermajority to avoid the Irish example. To pick another case, then presumably you therefore think that the EU should never have been founded?

So shameful that almost two thirds of the Turks in Germany voted for these ridiculous reforms.
Holy shit, just move to Turkey. Cowardice vote with no consequences on your own life but just some nationalist dick waving to give your 'home' country a 'strong' leadership.

But this shows even more why it will be important to do a better job with immigration this time around with the refugees.

It's not that easy actually. There are around ~3.5 million people of Turkish decent in Germany, only ~450k voted for Erdogan. The majority aren't Turkish citizens anymore, while out of the ~1.5 million that are Turkish citizens, ~50% didn't vote at all and around 450k voted for Erdogan).

cm osi

Smh.

Let's see.

well then, why don't they move to turkey if they love him so much

I have heard yesterday at Tagesschau.de, that the electoral center accepted self made ballots...
The excuse given for ballots without the official stamp was that many voting centers failed to adhere to regulations and so cancelling 2.5 million votes wouldn't "reflect the will of the people"

and idiots fucking supported this by saying that "why should a mistake by election officials invalidate my vote?"
Shame.
Wished the military coup last year was a success, sad NATO didn't topple him.

The military coup was organized (there's a consensus about this) Fetö, an extremely Islamic organization. It could have been even worse if they came into power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom