• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish Referendum |OT| ...With a Thunderous Applause

Status
Not open for further replies.

skny

Evet(yes) keeps on decreasing but I think it will eventually be around %54-%55. Let's just hope the consequences of this are not as bad as we expect.

skny

The most surprising and disappointing part for me and for many tv analysts : A lot more Yes votes in the Kurdish regions than expected.

Laekon

Wow I think of myself as politically informed but had not heard about this. This is such an important decision for so much of the world. As an American I saw Turkey as the way forward for much of the Middle East. Now I just see them becoming another Iran.

I can't get over there being so many weak and scared people that they need an authoritarian daddy figure to make them feel safe.

RangerX

Banned
It is quite baffling why any Turkish person would vote to make their president an effective dictator. It's probably something to do with wanting the country to look strong in the eyes of their opponents. This kind of nationalism is unfortunately spreading.

German votes: 15% open - 60% yes
source: anadolu

Not surprising. I bet a lot of those were born in Germany and hardly ever visit Turkey. But they still identify more as a Turk than a German. And it's easy to vote for "strong leader" if you don't have to suffer the consequences if it goes south.

It is quite baffling why any Turkish person would vote to make their president an effective dictator. It's probably something to do with wanting the country to look strong in the eyes of their opponents. This kind of nationalism is unfortunately spreading.

Bla bla great glorious leader making the country save and wealthy again.

Of course while completely ignoring that the country has now become less wealthy after Erdogan's 15 year rule and that HE was the one who started bombing the PKK and creating another civil war with them in 2015 for political gain and HE was the one who supported the growth of Daesh by handing them weapons and ammunition by the truckloads as well as ignoring their growing presence in the country which resulted in the now frequent domestic terror attacks and bombings by them. But people are now in frightened sheep mode and are running to the wolf who promises to keep them safe.

Also the usual sort of misguided patriotism where people think that the glorious leader is somehow the incarnation of the very country itself (kind of like the Russian Czars of old). Particularly Turkish minorities in Europe are guilty of this, they often don't even have a proper insight into how things now are back in Turkey and also often have a warped view on the situation as a result of primarily watching state controlled media (and we all know what Erdogan is doing to independent press in his country). In summary he's basically Putin 2.0, only even more unhinged.

kess

Even more insane, really, is that such a radical referendum is decided on a 50% +1 vote. You cannot have 45% of the population dispossessed without inviting political instability.

never knew this guy was Turkish
C9iqb_iXYAAQbef.jpg

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsbeat/status/853619549811421184

spekkeh

Banned
Even more insane, really, is that such a radical referendum is decided on a 50% +1 vote. You cannot have 45% of the population dispossessed without inviting political instability.
For sure Erdogan will find him fighting a few more terrorist groups soon. Homegrown this time. Of course this only legitimizes his dictatorial rule so he's probably counting on it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I guess it's time to scratch Turkey permanently from the list of places I want to visit in my lifetime.

Diancecht

Earlier votes are coming from Anatolia. We are still counting the votes from the western cities like İzmir and İstanbul. It was 65 percent Yes an hour ago now it's 53,6.

The Turkish election committee has decided to allow ballots without the official seal.

There goes the legitimacy of the referendum already, right out of the window.
Seems that they can't rely on the electorate to do Erdogan's bidding after all.

They probably just found a few hundred thousand YES ballots without seal somewhere right on cue, Russia style.

I know some people who said they would vote evet just due to the hate of coalition governments in general

also some that said "I ain't my problem I ain't voting" "my vote blah, blah, blah, not voting"

I guess it's time to scratch Turkey permanently from the list of places I want to visit in my lifetime.
Sorry mate but this kind of comment is so stupid. The good parts and people of Turkey don't suddenly become shit because of this vote. Ridiculous ridiculous comment.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 51% No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom