• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish Referendum |OT| ...With a Thunderous Applause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Apparently ~75% of Turks living in Austria voted for Yes.
I wonder how many of them are planning to move back to Turkey.

Well, it's over and the result is as expected. The small margin of victory and an unknown number unstamped ballots getting counted will cause some serious legitimacy issues but Erdogan will smash his iron fist on anyone who could oppose the result so it won't matter.
The courts sure as heck won't start an investigation or call for a re-count after all the purges.

Just read on zeit.de that 840000 are deemed invalid
Oh geez I wonder what those invalid votes were for. Because that's far above the realistic margin of people voting for Mickey Mouse.

roytheone

more than 98% of the vote is already counted. So it's pretty much a definite yes.

Fuck my life, I want nothing more than to leave this country and never come back.

Don't say that out loud, you may be forbidden to leave the country if erdogan hears you :(

I wonder if the low margin will trigger erdogan to take even more opponents hostage.

KingBroly

Banned
It's baffling. If Erdogan is so great, if the European Union is filled with fascists and nazi's, then why the fuck are you still staying here?

Free Money?

It could also be some kind of plan by Erdogen to get into the EU and eventually become a Dictator of that.

Don't say that out loud, you may be forbidden to leave the country if erdogan hears you :(

I wonder if the low margin will trigger erdogan to take even more opponents hostage.

I can always leave Earth if I can't leave Turkey

I seriously don't know how far I would go if I had to stay here for the rest of my life.

Fantastapotamus

It's baffling. If Erdogan is so great, if the European Union is filled with fascists and nazi's, then why the fuck are you still staying here?

I have to correct myself: So far only ~3000 votes in Austria have been counted, so that number will probably change.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

Better standard of living, fuck you i've got mine etc...

But still invested in seeing a "strong" Turkey not bend to the will of these Euro fascist fucks.

trembli0s

1) Alienate the kurds
2) Jail HDP
3) Empower the MHP
4) Unite with the nationalists
5) Send in the Islamists to campaign in every corner of every village
6) Install fear and uncertainty amongst people
7) Shutdown opposition media and voice
8) Leverage the failed coup
9) Control the narrative on social media and TV
10) Win, barely.

Islamists won.

When does the new Caliphate become installed? I'm not even joking all that much.

ntinosaur

I can always leave Earth if I can't leave Turkey

I seriously don't know how far I would go if I had to stay here for the rest of my life.

Well for the time being, you need to calm down. It's almost 2 years for those changes to take effect and with how the political landscape develops/changes rapidly who knows what's gonna happen.

However, i am also nervous since the far-right nazi(proven) party of my country is gaining huge momentum lately.

Fantastapotamus

I have to correct myself: So far only ~3000 votes in Austria have been counted, so that number will probably change.

Or, apparently not if this map is accurate
C9jIoduXgAE76Fj.jpg

oti

Banned
Another friendly reminder that Erdogan broke the law by rallying for YES. The President is not allowed to do that. But who cares. Long live the Sultan.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Like Brexit, I'm not sure why a decision this monumental is decided with a simple 50+1 majority.

If yes wins, I think it'll be time to cross Turkey off permanently from my places to visit list.

CrunchyB

It's like Brexit, even the numbers are similar. Half the country fell for propaganda and lies and the other half was powerless to stop them. The results will be felt for decades.

Fantastapotamus

Another friendly reminder that Erdogan broke the law by rallying for YES. The President is not allowed to do that. But who cares. Long live the Sultan.

He also imprisoned thousands of political enemies (among other people) and pretty much took over most of the media in Turkey.

Well for the time being, you need to calm down. It's almost 2 years for those changes to take effect and with how the political landscape develops/changes rapidly who knows what's gonna happen.

However, i am also nervous since the far-right nazi(proven) party of my country is gaining huge momentum lately.

I'll be going abroad for university in 1.5 years. I'll be fine. It'll be a hellish 1.5 years, but I'll be fine. It's my friends and family that I'm depressed about.

xenist

As usual the mountain people trash ruined things for the parts of the country that actually contribute. Condolences and support to my neighbors to the east.

dakun

interesting there is a debate going on on Fox Turkey that only 70% of the votes are counted and not 99%

The YSK (Voting counsil) apparently just confirmed to Fox they are at around 70%.. the Anadolu Ajansi (think Associated Press) reporting 99,7% is apparently completely false.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Really interesting to see American and English (and Spanish?) Turks voting No, compared to most of the rest of Europe.

Well, what a shitshow. My condolences to Turkish-GAF. :(

Diancecht

High council for elections says only 70 percent of the votes are counted, not 99 percent. They are debating whether the unsealed votes should count or not.

Over 1.5 million unsealed votes are counted. The difference is 1.3 million. Shit could change. It's gonna be a long night.

Regginator

The huge differences between countries are pretty interesting. Any explanations for those?

I suppose the level of having integrated sufficiently in a country versus not feeling accepted by said country. It's a pretty complex issue that you won't be able to explain in a few words.

spekkeh

Banned
The huge differences between countries are pretty interesting. Any explanations for those?
Yes, guest workers.
Companies in Benelux, Austria, Germany and Scandinavia scoured the countrysides of, among others, Anatolia in the seventies looking for cheap illiterate laborers to do strenuous manual work in the factories. These never left the host countries and now make up the majority of Turkish immigrants living there.
(Also from the Maghreb and Italy, though obviously the Italians all integrated well over time. The Moroccans have problems with crime and radicalism, the Turks are not integrated but generally don't have other problems, just backwards ideas.)

interesting there is a debate going on on Fox Turkey that only 70% of the votes are counted and not 99%

The YSK appearently just confirmed to Fox they are at around 70%.. the Anadolu Ajansi (think Associated Press) reporting 99,7% is apparently completely false.
WHAT THE FUCK

Watching it myself, and yeah.

Whahaahahahhahahahat. Fucking wild at this point.

A CHP member is currently alleging that the electoral body's decision falsefully counts 1.5M votes supposed to be void.

KDR_11k

Possibly the nature of the integration (e.g. in Germany the turks don't feel like they belong) and maybe the specific demographic that immigrated (laborers, academics, etc).

Ac30

The YSK (Voting counsil) apparently just confirmed to Fox they are at around 70%.. the Anadolu Ajansi (think Associated Press) reporting 99,7% is apparently completely false.

Erdogan's gotta massage those vote numbers, winning by 51% is embarrassing I suppose.

dakun

WHAT THE FUCK

Watching it myself, and yeah.

Whahaahahahhahahahat. Fucking wild at this point.

A CHP member is currently alleging that the electoral body's decision falsefully counts 1.5M votes supposed to be void.

just saw 2.5M votes as the number given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom