• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish Referendum |OT| ...With a Thunderous Applause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

I've never lived in Belgium but was born there, speak the language and care about its future - why should I not be able to vote there?

Because your choices won't have personal consequences. In the case of Belgium, no big problem. But let's take the death penalty as the best example for my argument.
How can someone vote for the death penalty when he's not affected by that law. Not fair.
Voting for a rain-tax in Britain is easy when you live in the Sahara.

Xando

Are you British?

And really, are we arguing for the disenfranchisement of people?

No i'm german.

And just because you are born in belgium it shouldn't mean you are allowed to vote in it's election if you are a permanent resident in a different country.

Jotaka

iP42wHz.gif

dakun

That dude was a worse authoritarian than Erdogan will ever be.

Besides the fact that your statement is BS. He was also a better president for the country than Erdogan ever will be. He paved the way for a secular democratic Turkey.
Turkey would not have been the shining beacon of the muslim world for 70+ years without him.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
On the bright side at least there is a huge population in Turkey who have their heads screwed on correctly. Maybe you can turn it around one day.
That population will gradually decline as the education system changes and brainwashes secular people. Turkey's not going to recover--it's going to sink deeper into Islamist authoritarianism going forward.

That dude was a worse authoritarian than Erdogan will ever be.
Hahahahahahahaha
No.

Regardless of the ethics of his means, Atatürk is the man who established core progressive values within the Turkish Republic. Democracy and secularism wouldn't have become real in this country without him. If you think Erdoğan took the country 50 years, Atatürk brought Turkey 100 years into their future. Atatürk created the Turkey that Erdoğan is murdering.

Just a hunch... my flight to istanbul 2 weeks from now gon be cancelled due to some serious shit about to go down from this election. I'm mentally prepared for it now.

Ac30

Because your choices won't have personal consequences. In the case of Belgium, no big problem. But let's take the death penalty as the best example for my argument.
How can someone vote for the death penalty when he's not affected by that law. Not fair.
Voting for a rain-tax in Britain is easy when you live in the Sahara.

I mean I get your anology but you can be against things like the death penalty ideologically, not because it won't affect you.

I do agree it changes one's perspective.
No i'm german.

And just because you are born in belgium it shouldn't mean you are allowed to vote in it's election if you are a permanent resident in a different country.

Even if I were I would want to, though; it is ultimately still my country, and depending on the choices made, effects are felt beyond its borders - what if they have to vote on BExit and I live in Germany? That would personally affect me. Should I be allowed to vote on that?

We're getting far off the Turkey topic :p

dakun

interesting how Turks living in Azerbaijan voted 61% no. They know what it is like to live in a system similar to what Turkey will get.

Pomerlaw

My colleague Kareem Shaheen has been speaking to AKP supporters.

“I am so happy I have tears in my eyes,” said Irtan Ulu, an AKP voter who was at the party headquarters in Ankara to celebrate their victory. “My heart was about to explode because our society has been swinging so much from side to side.”
Ogu Zhan, another voter, said Erdoğan’s victory in the referendum is a signal of Turkey’s role in the region as a defender of the oppressed in the Middle East, a common refrain for party supporters.
“When Turkey wins the whole world wins because we will be the voice of the oppressed around the world,” he said.

too-stupid-ti-insult.gif

dakun

Is it fair to say that people in Turkey didn't want this, but citizens outside of Turkey pushed it over 50%?

i think the only fair thing to say is half of Turkey wanted this and half didn't. Whether the needle moves 1% to yes or no matters in the outcome, but not in the general conclusion one has to take from this vote.

dakun

TurkGAF please...

actually i would say that the 2nd statement might be right. I consider most AKP voters to be Islamist rather than nationalists. Their allegiance is not to Turkey, as in the republic that Ataturk created, but to Erdogan and his view on a Islamic Turkey.

actually i would say that the 2nd statement might be right. I consider most AKP voters to be Islamist rather than nationalists. Their allegiance is not to Turkey, as in the republic that Ataturk created, but to Erdogan and his view on a Islamic Turkey.

Depends on what you mean by nationalism. AKP voters' allegiance to their nation is in the context that they're A Strong Global Power™ and everyone else, especially Europe, is evil and vile and out to get them. Add in Ottoman sentiments etc. too. CHP voters' nationalism is an adherence to Atatürk-brought values like secularism and valuing science as well as embracing and accepting their nation's history and culture. Nationalism can mean two opposite things here.

spekkeh

Banned
On the bright side at least there is a huge population in Turkey who have their heads screwed on correctly. Maybe you can turn it around one day.
The brain drain is already massive (and perhaps one of the reasons this is the election result), what makes you think the people with their head screwed on correctly will stay to turn it around?

Occam

Anyone not residing in Turkey who voted for Erdogan's dictatorship should be sent back there now. His supporters have no right to continue living in free, secular democratic countries.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone not residing in Turkey who voted for Erdogan's dictatorship should be sent back there now. His supporters have no right to continue living in free, secular democratic countries.

Well they do but yeah. I can't vote in the next Scottish referendum and nor should I. I live in the us and the consequences of my vote would be felt by those living there. I shouldn't have that right if I'm permanently expatriated.

Well they do but yeah. I can't vote in the next Scottish referendum and nor should I. I live in the us and the consequences of my vote would be felt by those living there. I shouldn't have that right if I'm permanently expatriated.

Sadly most of them see themselves as Turkish citizens first and Belgian/Dutch/German/... second.

The only problem I have with this is that it'd permanently fuck up Turkey itself. This referandum barely indicates some improvement as it is. That influx of Erdoğan lackeys would kill any chance of a democracy.

ezrarh

Free up some space for the Turks that don't want to live in a dictatorship.

The only problem I have with this is that it'd permanently fuck up Turkey itself. This referandum barely indicates some improvement as it is. That influx of Erdoğan lackeys would kill any chance of a democracy.
At least they would have to bear the consequences of their votes

Christhor

Any chance of democracy in Turkey just died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom