• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn Based combat, what are your feelings on it?

can either be the slowest, most boring trash of all time, or absolutely amazing.

havent gotten much of it lately, so my vote is for "love it".

fuggin JAZZED for xcom3 (hasnt even been announced).

Last edited:

Pejo

Love it, and there are many different ways you can take it. It may have started out as a way to cheaply overcome technical limitations, but it's a proper genre of battle systems now, and it's as varied and can be as engaging as action combat.

Larxia

It depends for me.
I used to think that I simply straight out hated it, but it turns out that this was just because of JRPGs.

I could imagine how it could potentially be interesting, if it had unique situation, if it involved real strategy etc... but... it was never the case in JRPGs. None of the combats were ever strategic or felt unique.

I really dislike how in JRPGs (at least the ones I played), the combat system is almost always the same, with that Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest template. I never understood why they all had to be like this, it's just like when I wonder why all open worlds nowadays have to be in the same ubisoft-ish design.
The lack of strategy and just... involvement in general is really problematic for me in JRPGs. The most strategy you will get is something like use fire on an ice ennemy, which is something I could just as well do in real time, so I never understood the point, it just felt more tedious.

Another thing that drives me mad in these games, is how they actually never allow you to do any kind of strategy, in the few situations where you could.
For example, in Dragon Quest XI (the last turn based JRPG I played I think), there are spells / abilities (such as buffs or debuffs) that you will never use. Why? Because they aren't worth wasting on regular trash mobs, so you would only use it for boss fights, and... the bosses are always immuned to all these kinds of abilities. And even if you use buffs on your own characters, the boss will wipe out all the effect in the arena during the next turn, so you can't actually prepare anything, there's no sense of building something, it's frustrating and you just are forced to use basic attacks...

This is why I always disliked turn based, especially with it being often (at least in the past) being combined with annoying random encounters etc...

NOW, my thoughts completely changed last year, when I played Baldur's Gate 3. I think that for the first time, I truly enjoyed turn based combats.
This was everything I always wanted turn based to be, and I guess I just played the wrong games before. Each situation was UNIQUE, each fight was like a new puzzle, with real strategy, unique encounters that were never exactly the sames, being able to use the environment, move your character strategically, improvise any kind of goofy thing with all the systems the game lets you use. This was turn based mixed with the freedom of an immersive sim, and it was fantastic.
The fact that each combat was unique, ennemies didn't respawn etc, made it a lot more interesting.

And then... After enjoying my time with BG3, I thought I'd give another turn based game a chance, and I decided to play Midnight Suns, and it might have been even better.
It doesn't have the same immersive / unique situations like in BG3, but there's still one thing I did dislike in BG3, the RNG. It could lead to some very frustrating situation, which is why most people play it while saving every 10 seconds in case the RNG goes wrong.
This wasn't a thing in Midnight Suns, and for that, it's actually my favorite turn based system ever so far. The strategies you could do, how the combats felt like some very interesting puzzles, all the great characters and their abilities, so many different synergies possible. I really loved that game.

So... Like I started my post, it really depends. Most of the time I hate it, but I absolutely loved the two last turn based games I played, which weren't JRPGs. I have to look more into western rpgs probably, but I don't think that there's anything truly like Midnight Suns out there.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post :messenger_grinning_sweat:

NanaMiku

It depends for me.
I used to think that I simply straight out hated it, but it turns out that this was just because of JRPGs.

I could imagine how it could potentially be interesting, if it had unique situation, if it involved real strategy etc... but... it was never the case in JRPGs. None of the combats were ever strategic or felt unique.

I really dislike how in JRPGs (at least the ones I played), the combat system is almost always the same, with that Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest template. I never understood why they all had to be like this, it's just like when I wonder why all open worlds nowadays have to be in the same ubisoft-ish design.
The lack of strategy and just... involvement in general is really problematic for me in JRPGs. The most strategy you will get is something like use fire on an ice ennemy, which is something I could just as well do in real time, so I never understood the point, it just felt more tedious.

Another thing that drives me mad in these games, is how they actually never allow you to do any kind of strategy, in the few situations where you could.
For example, in Dragon Quest XI (the last turn based JRPG I played I think), there are spells / abilities (such as buffs or debuffs) that you will never use. Why? Because they aren't worth wasting on regular trash mobs, so you would only use it for boss fights, and... the bosses are always immuned to all these kinds of abilities. And even if you use buffs on your own characters, the boss will wipe out all the effect in the arena during the next turn, so you can't actually prepare anything, there's no sense of building something, it's frustrating and you just are forced to use basic attacks...

This is why I always disliked turn based, especially with it being often (at least in the past) being combined with annoying random encounters etc...

NOW, my thoughts completely changed last year, when I played Baldur's Gate 3. I think that for the first time, I truly enjoyed turn based combats.
This was everything I always wanted turn based to be, and I guess I just played the wrong games before. Each situation was UNIQUE, each fight was like a new puzzle, with real strategy, unique encounters that were never exactly the sames, being able to use the environment, move your character strategically, improvise any kind of goofy thing with all the systems the game lets you use. This was turn based mixed with the freedom of an immersive sim, and it was fantastic.
The fact that each combat was unique, ennemies didn't respawn etc, made it a lot more interesting.

And then... After enjoying my time with BG3, I thought I'd give another turn based game a chance, and I decided to play Midnight Suns, and it might have been even better.
It doesn't have the same immersive / unique situations like in BG3, but there's still one thing I did dislike in BG3, the RNG. It could lead to some very frustrating situation, which is why most people play it while saving every 10 seconds in case the RNG goes wrong.
This wasn't a thing in Midnight Suns, and for that, it's actually my favorite turn based system ever so far. The strategies you could do, how the combats felt like some very interesting puzzles, all the great characters and their abilities, so many different synergies possible. I really loved that game.

So... Like I started my post, it really depends. Most of the time I hate it, but I absolutely loved the two last turn based games I played, which weren't JRPGs. I have to look more into western rpgs probably, but I don't think that there's anything truly like Midnight Suns out there.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post :messenger_grinning_sweat:
For Dragon Quest, it's the trademark of the series. Dragon Quest always has to be like that because they made the series as "classic RPG"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For example, in Dragon Quest XI (the last turn based JRPG I played I think), there are spells / abilities (such as buffs or debuffs) that you will never use. Why? Because they aren't worth wasting on regular trash mobs, so you would only use it for boss fights, and... the bosses are always immuned to all these kinds of abilities.
Then play some SMT, debuffs always work on bosses, you can’t beat them without it.

Last edited:

Larxia

For Dragon Quest, it's the trademark of the series. Dragon Quest always has to be like that because they made the series as "classic RPG"
Yes, but what I meant is that most other jrpgs outside of FF / DQ, have the same gameplay / presentation / feeling as these.
And I still think DQ combats could involve more depth and strategy, while still staying "classic".

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
fb798b76-c72c-4ac1-baaa-71d57bcefc61_text.gif

It's like the difference between professional speed chess and chess that isn't timed. They are both chess and both are fun in their own ways, but they are different ways to play.

There is also the extreme version of playing games by Post. Back before email there was people playing long distance board games by posting their moves to their opponent days and weeks away. And basically you spend as much time thinking as you like to make the best move, not about making it as fast as possible. This is done with Chess, its Asian equivalent, and of course Go.

Planning is what turned base games is about. Thinking multiple moves ahead because there is some predictability.

Now, there is a completely separate market for Twitch gameplay, basically Devil May Cry. And that was what FFXVI was with all its quicktime events. Maybe that is what Square wanted to make all along, but it isn't the game i want to play anymore.

I grew up with them and loved them dearly. Hadn't played a turn-based game in AGES when I went to replay Final Fantasy 6 and couldn't make it past two hours. The random encounters absolutely do me in in those games. It doesn't click anymore.

bender

What time is it?
For RPGs, I don't enjoy it enough to carry the experience. I do prefer it to whatever we are calling Square's new hybrid systems which I actively dislike.

I can't anymore it's too boring.
My imagination used to fill in the blanks, now I can't get past the fact that I'm just clicking through menus and watching animations. But I suspect when my reflexes start to fade I'll be back to turn based

Fbh

Gold Member
I like it, but as with anything it really comes down to the implementation.
There are tons of good ones like press turn from SMT, what Larian is doing with Divinity and Baldur's Gate and even something more basic like the overdrive system in Chained Echoes.

The biggest hurdle turn based has to overcome is that they can easily get monotonous when not done right. A lot of classic games (or games made in that style) run into the issue where all encounters except for boss fights start to get really boring and repetitive as you end up using the same skills in the same order for 90% of them. While this is true for action RPG's too, I think doing the same real time combos again and again is just inherently more fun than inputting the same commands in the same order into a static menu again and again.

That's why, for example, SMT is good. With a high level of challenge and a focus on both sides exploiting weaknesses, even normal encounters force you to stay focused and adapt your approach. The way it encourages you to constantly refresh your team with new demos helps things feel varied too

RCU005

I love turn based combat, but it has to be very well implemented. I enjoyed it a lot in DQ XI.

I don’t know why people act as if it’s impossible to like both Turn-based and Action based.

Edmund

Love it. Bring on Shining Force 4, Final Fantasy Tactics 2. Valkyria Chronicles 5, Jagged Alliance 4, Langrisser 6 and more Tactics Ogre!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I enjoy it. I think my first experience with turn-based combat was Advance Wars back on the GBA. I generally prefer real-time combat, but I've had a blast playing games like Darkest Dungeon and BG3.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
Hate it, I don't have that much patience/time. I feel it makes a game unnecessarily long, kinda padded. I have only completed two turn based games - Pokemon Emerald and Yakuza (the new one, dragon something).

peek

Love, love, love it! Makes stupid people like myself feel smart and tactical for planning out the perfect moves xD

Robb

Gold Member
It’s serviceable, but I do tend to get a bit bored if it’s strictly turn based.

I prefer some kind of mix. I really love the Mario RPG’s, for example, where you actively dodge enemies, press action commands to perform moves, special moves are mini games etc.

I have accepted society's idea of Turn based RPGs being better experiences on mobile devices (handheld, portable console, phone, etc.) due to their very nature it suits them.

I just want the newer ones to continue to have the option to speed up the turns/actions. It is a type of game that can go from charming to mind numbingly exhausting with enough time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Pretty much every generation one of my favorite games of the gen is guaranteed to be turn based.

• OGPS1 - Final Fantasy VII
  • Dream - Skies of Arcadia
  • PS360 - Lost Odyssey
  • PS4/O - Bravely Default
  • XSX/5 - Octopath

One of my most anticipated games of an already loaded as fuck 2025 is turn based.

expedition-33-concept-art-gallery-v0-lgptayta0r5d1.png

ss_ec16f873c7d14fc4a4f17966b25f9712dc486b4a.1920x1080.jpg

show

Game-Page-Featured_Clair-Obscur-Expedition-33-Inits.jpg

I grew up playing Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 on Xbox/Xbox 360, and RE4 on Gamecube. Action games were always at the forefront of my interest, so I didn't play a turn-based RPG until much later. When the combat clicked, I was sucked in. Glad I still have a functioning ps3 and can go back to play Xenogears whenever I want. I'm currently playing SMTV: Vengeance on ps5. Looking forward to playing BG3 one day as well.

Wildebeest

Very difficult to do right. With real time you can have a lot of "trash" content that is just meant to waste the time of the player and make the game longer, but with turn based that sort of brainless content has nowhere to hide.

Duchess

I grew up with them and loved them dearly. Hadn't played a turn-based game in AGES when I went to replay Final Fantasy 6 and couldn't make it past two hours. The random encounters absolutely do me in in those games. It doesn't click anymore.
Have you played Chained Echoes? That's a great turned based RPG, with a unique battle system (Overdrive bar, encourages you not to spam the same attacks). Enemies are visible on the map, so you can avoid them if you want.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Depends on the game.

Overall I love the real time action of boomer shooters, fighting games should etc

But I have played a few good turn based that suited me.

It m too impatient and don’t like to strategically plan things out as such.

Esppiral

Pretty much every generation one of my favorite games of the gen is guaranteed to be turn based.

• PS360 - Lost Odyssey
  • XSX/5 - Octopath

One of my most anticipated games of an already loaded as fuck 2025 is turn based.

show

What game is that? Looks awesome.

I love some turned based combat and have HATED every game I've tried that switched from it to normal action. While I'm not the biggest fan of Final Fantasy (older ones were my favourite) when it switched to free action combat it felt so brain dead and boring and couldn't play too much of it (ignoring the cringe inducing story / voices etc.) Heard rumours that the next Dragon Quest might be open combat and it was very disappointing to hear as I quite enjoyed the last game.

I love being in a boss fight and not knowing the next move but having to prepare for anything or risk going all out attack, etc, gives a great sense of worry and excitement. Learning weakness and strengths, like using healing powers on undead to hurt them (Final Fantasy I think it was) Of course, some games can be just awful, and you can spam anything, but it has been rare in my experience with the ones I play.

Games like Inscryption, Chrono Trigger, South Park games, the old Pokemon (not that they've evolved much, let's be honest), Blue Dragon, Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Darkest Dungeon, A Bards Tale 4, Baulders Gate, a long list of card battlers, and so many more are amazing games.

On a plus side, turned based makes it easier to play on mobile and handheld devices.

Garibaldi

• PS360 - Lost Odyssey
  • XSX/5 - Octopath

show

That looks absolutely class. Just wish listed it on Steam

Comandr

I think turn based combat can be super fun in an RPG, provided there is enough to do and it’s not just okay click attack and then wait.

SMRPG introducing timed hits will always stand out for me. It’s still firmly a turn based game, but the extra engagement makes it fun and exciting.

Yakuza 7 and 8 do this as well, and the combat can feel SO FAST in 8 that some of the battles are over even quicker than in the action games. Can’t wait to see how they build on it in the future. More combo techs please!

Top Bottom