• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn Based combat, what are your feelings on it?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Turn based doesnt have to be boring, and I think most games with any thought have evolved the formula enough that its actually interesting combat.
The last few turn based games ive played have all had a unique take on combat and/or building characters for combat.
ReactiveTurnBased_v05.gif

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Depends on how the system works. SMT's press turn is by far my favorite, but there are many cool ones like the one used in the Grandia games where you can cancel your enemy's turns, or the one in Valkyrie Profile where you have to juggle your enemies mid-air by performing combos.

They are not just fun, but also very engaging which imo is very important when it comes to a turn based game.

Ferdimage

Depends on how the system works. SMT's press turn is by far my favorite, but there are many cool ones like the one used in the Grandia games where you can cancel your enemy's turns, or the one in Valkyrie Profile where you have to juggle your enemies mid-air by performing combos.

They are not just fun, but also very engaging which imo is very important when it comes to a turn based game.
Mate we have the same taste.
Love my Grandia and Valkyrie Profile games.

cireza

Gold Member
I love turn-based combat and it will always have my preference. However I do not wish for all RPGs to be turn-based, let's not be selfish. Other people prefer real-time, they should have their games too.

NanaMiku

I love turn-based combat and it will always have my preference. However I do not wish for all RPGs to be turn-based, let's not be selfish. Other people prefer real-time, they should have their games too.
Sure, variation is the key.

I don't mind the battle system of FF15 (haven't played FF16), but I really hate FF7 remake because they changed the battle system. And personally, I think the battle in the remake is kinda unresponsive.

cireza

Gold Member
Sure, variation is the key.

I don't mind the battle system of FF15 (haven't played FF16), but I really hate FF7 remake because they changed the battle system. And personally, I think the battle in the remake is kinda unresponsive.
FF XV was fine indeed. It was purely action, didn't offer a lot of possibilities, BUT it was fun and straightforward. It was not needlessly complicated or whatever, and as the world design was good (day/night was also well implemented) and traversal really enjoyable, in my opinion they managed to make a fun game, despite all its shortcomings. Fishing was awesome too. And that's why I play games to begin with : to have fun.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I find it more enjoyable than real time with pause. Definitely more enjoyable than real time with menu selections but Xenoblade is still damn good.

Wildebeest

One thing that a lot of turn based games do wrong these days is to make every single character like an MMO or MOBA character with lots of skills and cooldowns. Or even worse, the "card game" deck shuffle. Such as the sort of thing where a character has a feat to "spin to win" where they swing their sword around like a helicopter but compared to it doing anything else is useless and a waste of a turn. To keep the flow in a turn based game, there should be a very pacey turn around speed where you are mostly just making decisions like attack this guy or that guy or move here or there. Adding too many mechanics from real time games has bloated both pen and paper games and turn based computer games.

PsyEd

I can't stand it...It killed Yakuza...now known as Like a Dragon franchise for me. I hope Yakuza/Judgement series goes back to it's beat'em roots.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Depends. I don't have the patience for jrpgs anymore, but I still love a few rounds of Civilization. And BG3 was pretty good.

Last edited:

TheStam

Some of my favorite games are turn-based, but tend to prefer when battles generally aren't too long. Slay the Spire, Octopath Traveller 2, Into the Breach as a few examples. I really liked BG3 but with it's countless long battles waiting for 10 enemies to act, I'm still dreading replaying it. I think Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous got this part right were you could seamlessly switch between turn-based and RTwP to speed things up at times.

Jurry132

Neo Member
Like it in BG3 and DoS 1 & 2 because it actually rewards strategy. All others is boring as fk as soon as you find the weakness of the enemy

GMAK2442

I think it's a good idea to compete in some game such as sophisticated chess. There is also the 4X strategy game that might be fun. I got some fun in SP but I would rather play 3D game.

Honkai Star Rail has good turn-based combat with necessary features like speed-up / slow-down and auto. I like it as long as it's not old-shool turns, without any enhancements. It's a system that makes RPGs more strategic. Nowadays the combat in most RPGs has become more like hack-and-slash wannabes.

Rickyiez

Yea, I miss the old turn-based systems. I played FF10 on my Vita a few years ago and, sorry, it just felt way better to play than FF7R. I really don't like that combat system. The weird thing is that I feel like TB is more popular than it has been in years, at the same time Square ditched it.
Don't need to be sorry, I have the same opinion. I think the combat in FF7R is quite boring and overrated, prefer the turn based system more in the older FF. FFX Tb system is probably the pinnacle of FF combat system.

Have you played Chained Echoes? That's a great turned based RPG, with a unique battle system (Overdrive bar, encourages you not to spam the same attacks). Enemies are visible on the map, so you can avoid them if you want.
I haven't no. I tried the Octo II demo as well and that was kind of the same reaction for me. I'm not an RPG guy in general anymore, haven't played a new one since...no joke, possibly FF9 lol.

saintjules

Gold Member
Felt like this conversation about turn based has been beaten to the ground, resurrected and beaten down again over the last 20 years...

Anyway, personally I like both action and turn based combat. There are times I feel like turn based can be slow without a fast forward feature that recent HD Remaster JRPGs implemented over the last couple of years. But I still don't mind it as they are.

It's grown on me. I wish it would make a resurgence and add more physics into games with gore. Would be so cool to slowly dismember an enemy as the defenses get lower.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I would love to see you try to beat SMTV boss like Khonsu Ra with “braindead simple decisions” and see how far that gets you.

I beat that guy on hard while MUCH lower level than him and he starts turn first to summon his allies then he immediately uses Megidolaon and if your demon party don't have enough HP then they will die right away.

But YOU can still beat it half sleep right?
SMT is the exception that proves the rule.

NahaNago

I like them. I kind of wish though that grinding levels in your typical turn based games was less of a thing. This isn't a turn based issue though and more of a just a leveling thing since I do the same on action games as well.

Bartski

Gold Member
I love X-com and I love the Darkest Dungeon, but I can't say I play games for turn-based combat, it's more a part of a greater picture if done right.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I grew out of it. I need more moment to moment kind of loops to stay engaged.

I think the untapped market is a 20 hour jrpg with turn based combat. Then it doesn’t overstay its welcome. Give it high replay value with different endings/difficulties etc for the hardcore to keep on trucking.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I grew out of it. I need more moment to moment kind of loops to stay engaged.

I think the untapped market is a 20 hour jrpg with turn based combat. Then it doesn’t overstay its welcome. Give it high replay value with different endings/difficulties etc for the hardcore to keep on trucking.
Sea of Stars was great for me. Turn based with an interesting defense break system and timed parries and attacks, multiple characters, instant transition to battles, and outside battles every screen has interesting level design, platforming and puzzles. Pacing is spot on, and only lasts 20-30 hours.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Sea of Stars was great for me. Turn based with an interesting defense break system and timed parries and attacks, multiple characters, instant transition to battles, and outside battles every screen has interesting level design, platforming and puzzles. Pacing is spot on, and only lasts 20-30 hours.
Yeah this game is exactly it. Engaging combat so you do things during the turn helps too.

Legend of Dragoon style.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Love it

jRPG goes without saying, SMT is king

wRPG also, a shitload of peoples were pissed that Baldur's Gate 3 going turn based was a slap in the face compared to real-time with pause, but fuck em, RTWP is ridiculous, you're spamming the fucking pause. I much preferred the turn base approach. Another one is Shadowrun returns & dragonfall.

sigmaZ

Love the strategic elements. Although if there are a lot of trash mobs, I need an auto attack these days.

F31 Leopard

Depends how it's implemented.
SMT press turn is my favorite. I liked Yakuza LaD turned based system. Infinite Wealth was a big improvement and one of my favorites. I also like Atelier Ryza 1 and 2's system. I haven't played 3 yet. Trails of Cold Steel is good too. There are a lot of turn based systems that I did not enjoy especially FF13 paradigm shift system. I got bored of Octopath Traveller's and Bravely Default's mechanics.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Love it

jRPG goes without saying, SMT is king

wRPG also, a shitload of peoples were pissed that Baldur's Gate 3 going turn based was a slap in the face compared to real-time with pause, but fuck em, RTWP is ridiculous, you're spamming the fucking pause. I much preferred the turn base approach. Another one is Shadowrun returns & dragonfall.
RTWP is like the worst of both worlds.

I would recommend Phoenix Point to you with Terror from the Void Mod. Phoenix Point is from the og dev of Xcom Ufo Defense from 1994. I have around 100 hours into the mod. It's really great.

I had Phoenix Point on my radar, but the reviews were mixed. It's probably cheap somewhere now so I'll put it back on the radar.

Hohenheim

Love it.
Currently playing the first Trails-game, and really enjoying the combat.
Compared to FF7 rebirth/remake, this combat feels so good.
Also enjoyed Star Ocean Second Story R a lot earlier this year, so I enjoy lots of different kinds of combat in rpg's. But good turn based combat is awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom