• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn Based combat, what are your feelings on it?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, I can't stand the defense of that system. Absolutely no fun to spam pause and queueing system, it's chaos. For games based on table top D&D, which is turned based, I don't know how RTWP got so popular.
First game to use it happened to be the game that jump started CRPGs from its moribund state, Baldurs Gate. They were obviously trying to correct some perceived problems with the “old fashioned” genre while avoiding junk like Ultima 7’s unfortunate combat system. So they split the baby.

The combat is probably the worst part of that game but it stuck for better or worse.

I had Phoenix Point on my radar, but the reviews were mixed. It's probably cheap somewhere now so I'll put it back on the radar.
i think it came out in pretty mediocre shape but they fixed it up.

amigastar

First game to use it happened to be the game that jump started CRPGs from its moribund state, Baldurs Gate. They were obviously trying to correct some perceived problems with the “old fashioned” genre while avoiding junk like Ultima 7’s unfortunate combat system. So they split the baby.

The combat is probably the worst part of that game but it stuck for better or worse.

Yep, especially with the Terror from the Void mod its at a really good shape now.

Wildebeest

Baldur's Gate was the moribund state of the CRPG. At the time it was infinity engine games or nothing, and when they stopped it was just nothing.

Mercador

If you want old Squaresoft, go for Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler. FF mainline is somewhere else nowadays. FFXVI was the first FF I didn't purchase at launch and I play those since the first one.

Last edited:

proandrad

Hate it, a game has to be absolutely special if I’m going to play it and it’s turn based. Chrono Trigger, FFX, Pokémon red are a few that come in mind.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But you don’t play SMT either, you generalize entire turn based combat without trying them.

You don’t like turn based that’s fine, that’s your taste but stop with this BS excuses.
I’ve played SMT 3, 4, and 5, and got bored of all of them. Yeah they are challenging, mainly by making it super punishing if you don’t show up with the right party and use the moves with the element that can hurt the enemy you’re fighting.

That still got old pretty fast for me. And I’m also not crazy about that “use a party member for a short time before dumping them/fusing them” type loop.

And yeah I’m generalizing because I’ve played tons of turn based JRPGs and the vast majority of them fit the description you’re so upset about. Including all the games that popularized the genre (Final Fantasy series, DQ series, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Phantasy Star, etc). Don’t even try to pretend like that’s not the case.

Sentenza

A well-made turn-based tactical combat is generally one of my favorite experiences in gaming.
Games like XCOM, Jagged Alliance and Battle Brothers aren't just "things I like" but some of my all time favorites.

That said, like with everything, when it's not well executed it can turn in a complete stinker.
Some turn-based combats can be dull, lacking in depth, poorly paced, unimaginative and/or grindy, when not ALL of the above.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’ve played SMT 3, 4, and 5, and got bored of all of them. Yeah they are challenging, mainly by making it super punishing if you don’t show up with the right party and use the moves with the element that can hurt the enemy you’re fighting.

That still got old pretty fast for me. And I’m also not crazy about that “use a party member for a short time before dumping them/fusing them” type loop.

And yeah I’m generalizing because I’ve played tons of turn based JRPGs and the vast majority of them fit the description you’re so upset about. Including all the games that popularized the genre (Final Fantasy series, DQ series, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Phantasy Star, etc). Don’t even try to pretend like that’s not the case.
You get bored because you have to think of your party composition? You first complain that you don’t like turn based RPG because you think it takes no strategy play them but you also get bored because you have to think strategy and how you set up your party? You just don’t make sense to me.

Also just hitting weakness is mostly effective in early game but later in the game you need much more than that, just hitting the weakness is not gonna win the battle for you.

Griffon

Can't make a blanket statement. It's just like any gameplay paradigm: it's shit when poorly done; It's amazing when it's well done.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You get bored because you have to think of your party composition? You first complain that you don’t like turn based RPG because you think it takes no strategy play them but you also get bored because you have to think strategy and how you set up your party? You just don’t make sense to me.

Also just hitting weakness is mostly effective in early game but later in the game you need much more than that, just hitting the weakness is not gonna win the battle for you.
It’s possible to find thing A boring some reasons and also find thing B boring for different but overlapping reasons. Is that so hard to understand? What do you think you’re going to put me on trial and argue me into liking SMT or something?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't know how RTWP got so popular.
Just my 2 cents, from someone who never played tabletop.

I think RTWP works pretty well with older versions of D&D since, apparently, in those rules the non-magic classes could barely do anything that isn't moving or attacking, right? Imagine BG2 being turn based, all your turns when controlling a fighter would be either "move" or "attack", it would become boring very fast.

In the end, RTWP is like putting a turn based battle system in "auto" mode, and you only pause it when you want to do something interesting like casting a spell or some shit like that. It's just a faster and more convenient turn-based system that imo works very well when the battle system itself is simple.

Isa

Gold Member
I love and prefer it, but feel that just as with action games, most devs do little but copy what's popular or been done before with little variation or neat new ambitious takes on the formula. If I had the means(time, money & manpower) I'd love to take a crack at developing a few games. Inspired by what I love sure, but something that is totally its own beast.

I saw a neat game that was stuck in Japan on the Saturn, Majuular recently covered it.

I think the combat system in Cyber Doll looks fun, a mix of what one might expect of a dark cyberpunk setting along with some Battletech/Mechwarrior elements such as salvaging limbs and body parts for use or sale. Plus the strategic implications such as blasting legs on fast movers etc.

Rat Rage

It's great.

First Person Shooters? What are your feelings on it?
Real Time Strategy Games? What are your feelings on it?
Simulation Games? What are your feelings on it?
.... etc.

I hope anyone with a brain now understands how objectively better all console generations before (and including) the 6th console generation were (PS2, GC, Xbox era). Smaller teams, smaller budgets, a huge variety of games.

You didn't have to ask such stupid questions like: What are your feelings on this or that kind of genre, because there were plenty of high caliber games to choose from in almost every genre.

But today, since so many games are ridiculously expensive and marketing department driven, you have to constantly ask about how people think about this or that genre, because it seems every development effort just fucking always absolutely needs to follow the most profitable gaming trend there is, creating a horribly homogenized, boring and lame ass gaming market.

I bet the corporate suits at Square Enix, at one point after their Final Fantasy XIII failure, asked their soulless marketing departments the exact same question: what are your feelings on turn based combat, to which they obviously replied: well, it's not as hot as it was before, so let's rather focus on third person character action combat from here on, which seems to be really popular now and also easier to develop, because frankly, all we have to do is to focus 70% on graphics and rip-off the action combat of other games here and there, which is way easier to scale with pure money, rather than looking for actual industry talent like in the old days, so fuck our legendary JRPG legacy and turn every upcoming mainline Final Fantasy into an action game.

Turn based combat is just a certain "gameplay flavour" just like ANY OTHER VIDEO GAME GENRE out there, neither superior nor inferior to other genre. I wish people would understand that finally, so we didn't always have to secretly question the legitimacy of turn based combat, because it's fucking silly.

Variahunter

I don't like it. It's almost always boring because trash enemies are, in most of the games, so easy.
So you just end up mashing the confirm button to attack most of the time, with the occasional limit break.

I played lot of RPGs. But I grew up on Secret of Mana, which was my first JRPG. So I had the hardest time getting into most turn based RPG after that, found it so boring aside from bosses. Random encounters were the worst. I do't think I'll be buying DQ3 remake just for that. But I still played them for what the games had left.

One RPG that I recently liked was SMT V. Enemies forced you to adopt a good strategy, and bosses were tough.

And of course, Tactics (FFT, Tactics Ogre) and Strategy RPG (Ogre Battle 64), those are what I consider turn based system done well, where combat has depth.

To be honest, Action RPG can be boring too. If the difficulty isn't there, every system is boring. That's why I guess Souls and SMT are really incredible, they challenge your reflexes while still giving you the RPG experience.
FFXVI had a good combat system (even if it should have had a heavy attack button to be really good), but the difficulty of the game was easy in the first playthrough, so the game doesn't even need you to master your combo and execution, hence giving satisfaction, to run over the bosses.
And no, don't give me Hard mode AFTER my first playthrough, I don't have the time for that.

Last edited:

Rexket

Banned
It’s good when you have to be aware of party composition and enemy strengths and weaknesses. SMT, Divinity Original Sin 2

It’s bad if you just end up spamming the same moves because half your kit is bad. Yakuza 7

IAmRei

Turn based are looks alike tactical for me, it's like watching manga or comic but we can change the output.
or you can also think it's like board game, strategic gameplay.
it's from civilized era which we are hone our critical thinking.

I like both tbh.

if i can wish, i wish there is a game with similar vein to mass effect, but turn based. a military J-RPG is a wish from me, i'm not counting TBS though, i want real explorable RPG
i know shoji meguro made one, but still look janky, i want real full team to create something like that. maybe similar to rresonance of fate but simplier and faster.

Danjin44

but turn based. a military J-RPG is a wish from me,
Let me introduce you to....
113075JPA6slCNMo2B_UCbr7WkPmKNk4o4FXRWA_HZRaBc58NiL149hrGg5QOaE5DNyY6o_RSYlyb7qoF2LlSt82DrcQquKQ.png

I prefer my enemies to wait patiently for me while i take a shit.

You don't need a pause menu in turn based games. Infact you can not touch the game and inflate your playtime.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like it in a traditional sense. Chained Echoes bugs me. I came to the conclusion that I don’t like certain changes to turned base combat. Chained Echoes doesn’t let you level up, you gain skill points that add up over time, so progress isn’t based upon your grind. It bugs me because if I want to become more powerful, I can’t. Which is why making changes to what works doesn’t always make it better. Which is why a lot of older retro JRPGs outshine the newer ones imo

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Depends on the game.

They work well in certain RPGs and strategy games (Pokémon, Civ etc) but I wouldn't want it every game.

Danjin44

Depends on the game.

They work well in certain RPGs and strategy games (Pokémon, Civ etc) but I wouldn't want it every game.
I never played Pokémon and based on most people’s impression they are pretty easy games. Only type of monster collection I ever played mostly SMT games but I don’t think Pokémon plays like them them.

IAmRei

I never played Pokémon and based on most people’s impression they are pretty easy games. Only type of monster collection I ever played mostly SMT games but I don’t think Pokémon plays like them them.
i once said that as well, but my friend said, PKM is like MH, the real game is started once You finished the story, and after that, the game is harder if You play post game post contents. I havent play it my self to the point of post game content btw

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I'm not the biggest fan. I have Scarlet and I have major issues with it, but the difficulty isn't one of them.

They actually addressed to some extent in the new one by making it openworld. The world doesn't level up with the player, so if you go too far early on, your whole team could get taken out by one random wild Pokémon.

Found it annoying in BG3 - I just want to run away if I am outmatched rather than slowly get obliterated and can’t be arsed doing inventory management for companions - it’s bad enough doing it for myself in rpgs.

It is serviceable but the aesthetics, plot, and gear/stat boost rewards need to be there for me to engage with it. If the initial setup of the plot does not hook me, then I just skip games with it wholesale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom