• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
M.Bluth said:
Any Dr. Who fans here?
I've never seen a single episode and I'm thinking about watching the show.
But I don't know if it's worth it watching from Christopher Eccleston's episodes or just start with the latest series with Matt Smith.

I jumped in with david tennant because of all the praise i heard which was not a good move because his first episode is a Christmas special with a complex story that follows characters that are no where near as interesting as the doctor that you know nothing about. Also tennant really isnt front and center in the special. It made it tough and i didnt click with the show and get over the slight corniness until much later.

I went back to watch the eccleston stuff after i had finished series 5 and found it compelling. Its much easier to get into because it was built to teach you about the doctor through rose.

So yeah, dont skip it, they are all worth it. And look forward to an amazing episode anytime you see steven moffats name in the opening credits.

M.Bluth said:
Any Dr. Who fans here?
I've never seen a single episode and I'm thinking about watching the show.
But I don't know if it's worth it watching from Christopher Eccleston's episodes or just start with the latest series with Matt Smith.

Definitely start with the first series with Eccleston. There's not a lot of episodes and you'll miss little bits of continuity if you jump around episodes.

Blader

brianjones said:
why would you skip over david tennant? he's awesome

I love Tennant, I just think going through 5 years of episodes--with more weak episodes than good ones--isn't really worth it when you can just jump into a new series that is (mostly) quality from beginning to end.

Just started Season 2 of Six Feet Under, really like Michael C. Hall's character... I should give Dexter another shot but could not make it through the first season of that...

y2dvd

Just finished Mad Men Season 2. Gotta admit, Season 1 was kinda slow but interesting. Season 2 really picks it up.
Glad to see Don's actions catching up with him.
Can't wait to blow through Season 3.

Cornballer said:
DirecTV are starting reruns of Damages tonight on their 101 Network. The first episode (S01E01) is available for streaming, too.
Cautiously optimistic about the fourth series. It was always intended to be 3 seasons long and I loved all of them. But I wonder what else they can do with a fourth season? Perhaps they'll start focussing more on the cases and less on the Patty/Ellen relationship to get some more longetivity out of it.

Just burned through season 1 of United States of Tara the last few days. It's really good! We'll definitely watch 2 as well and start watching it when it comes back for season 3.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Battlestar Galactica: this
Pegasus
storyline in S2 came out of nowhere. Adds some unexpected energy to the mix. I'm really liking it so far, pretty intense.

acksman

Mainly hitting shows on Netflix that I can watch at once.

Eureka - started slow, but got better with each season. Have not seen any of season 4.

Sanctuary - Wasn't sure about this one, but I'm to the middle of season 2, actually quite entertaining.

Magnus

Catalix said:
Battlestar Galactica: this
Pegasus
storyline in S2 came out of nowhere. Adds some unexpected energy to the mix. I'm really liking it so far, pretty intense.

Awesome; one of the best arcs of the show, so fucking amazing.

Just blitzed through all of Community over the last week in order to prepare to write a spec of it for a class (in 3 days :lol) -- really wonderful show, and tickles the meta-loving postmodern TV funny bone inside me juuuuusssst right.

M.Bluth

I'm watching the third (technically second) Moffat written episode of Doctor Who... The Girl in the Fireplace.

Only two stories by him and I'm already super excited for the fifth series.. But he really does have a thing for creepy shit doesn't he? :lol

Love the series btw, I liked Chris as the Doctor (loved his ridiculous smile and his serious face), and I like Tenant even more.
Though, I wish they had a bigger budget from the get go. I hate bad CGI, I could ignore it if it didn't really remind me of the shitty CGI from the original Star Wars trilogy's DVDs.

Also, right now, I wish they'd make more shows set in the past since they just look about a billion times better.

I'm glad I didn't skip anything, I didn't expected to, but it gave me exactly what I needed from a TV series at this time.

How's the companions after Rose? I never cared much for Billie Piper..

Drewsky

KingOfKong said:
I just started watching Season 1 of Friday Night Lights and HOLY SHIT, what an amazing show. I don't even like football but I cannot stop watching it.
Welcome to the club, sir. It's a great show.

Started watching chuck, and I'm on the 4th episode.

Does this guy ever stop acting like a neurotic dumbass with his mouth constantly open?

2ijm44x.jpg

Just finished season 1 of Community. A very good show, but the way the show deals with relationships is kind of iffy for me, unless I'm missing the point.
There was one episode in which, by the end, it made Annie seem like she was over Tory, but a few episodes later, she still has feelings for him. Then in the season finale, with Slayter (sp?) and Britta both telling Jeff they love him, but Jeff ends up kissing Annie, which seemed to be really random to me.

Drewsky

Dead said:
Finished Supernatural season 5 last night. Great finale.

Also, assbutt.
I finished up to S5 of Supernatural recently too. Really dug the show, but how's S6? It kind of seemed like S5 was meant to be the end.

big ander

Dax01 said:
Just finished season 1 of Community. A very good show, but the way the show deals with relationships is kind of iffy for me, unless I'm missing the point.
There was one episode in which, by the end, it made Annie seem like she was over Tory, but a few episodes later, she still has feelings for him. Then in the season finale, with Slayter (sp?) and Britta both telling Jeff they love him, but Jeff ends up kissing Annie, which seemed to be really random to me.
The choice between
Annie/Britta/Slater made a ton of sense. Annie was him not having to move forward in life.

Drewsky said:
I finished up to S5 of Supernatural recently too. Really dug the show, but how's S6? It kind of seemed like S5 was meant to be the end.
It's definitely worth watching. Starts off rather slowly but has improved quite a lot since the season premiere. It has a lot of Crowley, so if you liked him (you should) that's definitely a good thing.

Dead

well not really...yet
close to the edge said:
It's definitely worth watching. Starts off rather slowly but has improved quite a lot since the season premiere. It has a lot of Crowley, so if you liked him (you should) that's definitely a good thing.
Yeah, he was an awesome addition to season 5, cool that he is still in.

Drewsky

close to the edge said:
Yeah, the side characters are all pretty badass, I'll definitely give it a watch.

Hari Seldon

HOLY FUCK AT SHAMELESS. Gaf you need to watch this. There are no words to describe it. Showtime, Sundays at 10. Episode 1 was tonight.

Salazar

Hari Seldon said:
HOLY FUCK AT SHAMELESS. Gaf you need to watch this. There are no words to describe it. Showtime, Sundays at 10. Episode 1 was tonight.

This is the American version with H. Macy, right ?

I have to tell you, that trailer looked pretty woeful. Have you seen the UK original ?

Just finished season 2 of 24 today. I remember thinking this show was kinda silly when it first came on tv but so far I've enjoy the first 2 seasons.

I did get just a bit annoyed with some things:
-They seem to constantly repeat things over and over. Maybe for people with short memory? Who knows. It just ruins the dialogue sometimes I think.
-Do they have to keep saying his whole name? I think we know who Jack Bauer(sp?) is by now.

Other than that I think, I do enjoy the show for what it is. I was surprised at how good some of the acting is even if some of it seems kinda cheesy or over the top. I'm looking forward to season 3.

Ashhong

Salazar said:
This is the American version with H. Macy, right ?

I have to tell you, that trailer looked pretty woeful. Have you seen the UK original ?

It's the one with Emmy Rossum's tits, thats what.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Bout to finish Veronica Mars for the second time. I missed a lot of the show during school so it feels new.
JUST finished Buffy a few days ago.
Just started the last season of (the extremely tedious) Angel.
We're about to start Battlestar and watching less shows after VM.

DieH@rd said:
I started watching DOCTOR WHO [2005 version] for the first time and IM LOVING IT!
HELL YEAH! It only gets better.

Staccat0 said:
Bout to finish Veronica Mars for the second time. I missed a lot of the show during school so it feels new.
JUST finished Buffy a few days ago.
Just started the last season of (the extremely tedious) Angel.
We're about to start Battlestar and watching less shows after VM.

HELL YEAH! It only gets better.

This statement makes me hate you a little. Personally I think Angel ended up being a far better show than Buffy. Some amazing arcs for the characters, Wesley especially.

Stackboy

Been blowing through Parks and Recreation lately. I like it, it has jokes in it.

After a year of watching, I finally finished The Sopranos. A touchstone of modern tv.

Started Band of Brothers finally too, after picking it up for cheap on Blu-ray.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I watched all of Season 1 of the Walking Dead on Saturday night. It was okay. Will continue to watch. I'm also about to re-watch Terriers.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hari Seldon said:

I had no expectations going in (hadn't seen the British original).

Definitely good, if a bit preachy. The first 20 minutes or so were fairly weak, but it picked up. I'll be watching again next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom