• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Shameless was pretty much a shot for shot remake of the British pilot.

To be honest, the brit one is better. James McAvoy is much more likeable than Justin Chatwin and the UK's Frank Gallagher >>>>> William H. Macy.

Rossum is great as Fiona though.

TheOddOne

Never watched the orginal UK version of Shameless, but from what I saw of the American remake looks pretty good. Going from the promos I thought William H. Macy would be a bigger part of the pilot, but surprisingly the rest of the cast was solid.

- Fox Renews 'Raising Hope'; Net confirms premiere date for Steven Spielberg's "Terra Nova."
Fox also confirmed the sneak preview of Steven Spielberg's Terra Nova: Monday, May 23 and Tuesday, May 24 at 9 p.m. ET. The show will premiere in the fall.

EDIT: A couple Terra Nova pics from on set -

mkzXz.jpg

4LNkO.jpg

About 13 or so episodes into Prison Break Season One. Its picking up some steam, enjoying it but it doesn't quite have that, MUST WATCH NEXT EPISODE NOW, like Dexter, Lost, Jericho, FNL, did for me. And from what I heard season 2 isn't as good as season 1 so not expecting too much. Overall its good though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Now that I'm done with The Wire, I have a new show to watch: Deadwood. I rented season 1. I've seen the pilot episode, but I know next to nothing about what happens so it's spoiler free for me.

I have a feeling that I'm going to enjoy it. Will start tonight.

Az987

all good things
Anyone seen the show Space: 1999 from the 70's? Is it any good? I'm thinking about buying the first season on blu-ray.

Also, I've been watching Spartacus: Blood in the Sand. It's ok but I've only watched the first 2 episodes so far. I hope it gets better.

TripOpt55

Working through Chuck Season 3 at the moment. Not sure what I will be moving onto next. I should probably work on clearing out some of my DVR instead of jumping to a new DVD.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Hey BGS fans, is it true that Starbuck was one of the most universally hated characters during the show's run? Reading through some of the old GAF threads, I strongly get that impression.

If so, consider my mind blown. I'm almost halfway through S3 now, and I'm still madly invested in that hotheaded fuck-up.

Catalix said:
Hey BGS fans, is it true that Starbuck was one of the most universally hated characters during the show's run? Reading through some of the old GAF threads, I strongly get that impression.

No, that would be gaf hive mind. More people love her then hate her. I was always madly invested in her too, she's a classic character whether you love or hate her.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Az987 said:
Also, I've been watching Spartacus: Blood in the Sand. It's ok but I've only watched the first 2 episodes so far. I hope it gets better.

It does, watch the whole damn show.

Also watched Shameless ep 1, pretty good, will keep watching. Only seen bits and pieces of the UK original, always on late.

Catalix said:

If so, consider my mind blown. I'm almost halfway through S3 now, and I'm still madly invested in that hotheaded fuck-up.

I'm not sure on the general feeling but she was always one of my favourite characters from the show, right from the miniseries. She does change a bit toward the end of the show and I wasn't too sure of her then but there's some interesting payoff to that stuff.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The Storyteller said:
No, that would be gaf hive mind. More people love her then hate her. I was always madly invested in her too, she's a classic character whether you love or hate her.
randomlyrossy said:
I'm not sure on the general feeling but she was always one of my favourite characters from the show, right from the miniseries. She does change a bit toward the end of the show and I wasn't too sure of her then but there's some interesting payoff to that stuff.
Heh, I see. That's good to hear, actually :) I was starting to get a bit discouraged, there was practically no love for my girl Kara fucking Thrace up in there. But I did see a lot of "whiney bitch" "useless bitch" "die a horrible death" type posts. :lol

Can't wait to see where they take that character. Often times, it seems that her mere presence can add extra energy to any given scene. The actress who plays her, the way she's written (mostly), the shit she pulls off... everything about Starbuck has just clicked with me so far. So much so, that I didn't even consider the potential fan backlash.

But looking back on it now, I can easily see why such an abrasive
female
character would rub some viewers the wrong way, especially considering the amount of screen time she gets.

Man, watching shows (passed their heyday) in a virtual vacuum feels so weird sometimes, but it's also rewarding in its own way. I never get tainted by popular consensus :p

big ander

Blader5489 said:
Finished season 1 of Party Down. So fucking good, even though Roman is really annoying at times.
Roman only gets better. He's fantastic in season 2.
I just got my DVDs today, and you're making me want to rewatch it.

Moobabe

I've finally caught up on Mad Men, Community and 30 Rock AND, given that Sky Atlantic is starting soon, it should be a lot easier to watch a lot of decent stuff from America.

What next though? I'm looking for something funny I think - I'm not really into serious/violent stuff - which is why (excuse me if I've got the wrong idea) I've been avoiding The Wire...

How many series is Seinfeld? Is Entourage any good? The Good Wife? I think I'd rather watch something that has ended - I don't really have the time to keep up with another show - what do you guys recommend?

big ander

Finished Mad Men Season 2 late late last night and am starting 3 now. I'm still not adoring the show, but I am enjoying it a ton. I think my lukewarm feelings on it are mostly due to overhyping. For example even with positive praise for both, I went into Breaking Bad and The Shield with little to no expectations. Yet from day 1 with Mad Men I've been looking for it to blow me away.
Moobabe said:
I've finally caught up on Mad Men, Community and 30 Rock AND, given that Sky Atlantic is starting soon, it should be a lot easier to watch a lot of decent stuff from America.

What next though? I'm looking for something funny I think - I'm not really into serious/violent stuff - which is why (excuse me if I've got the wrong idea) I've been avoiding The Wire...

How many series is Seinfeld? Is Entourage any good? The Good Wife? I think I'd rather watch something that has ended - I don't really have the time to keep up with another show - what do you guys recommend?
Don't know what comedies you've seen, but funny series to watch:
Arrested Development (3 seasons, over)
Party Down (2 seasons, over)
IT Crowd (4 seasons [6 eps each], still running)
Raising Hope (still in its first season)
Scrubs (8 seasons and one spin-off season, over)

TripOpt55

Is there any place I can catch up on Chuck Season 4? I just finished Season 3 and was hoping to get caught up with the current season. I have the first episode on my DVR (I saw it repeating a week or so ago and recorded it) and Hulu and NBC's site seem to have 6 and onwards. I'm guessing there really isn't any place to check out the eps in between at the moment?

Flare

Well, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread. Actually got around to watching 3 shows.

I finished the first season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Holy crap was my first reaction. The show started out pretty damn crap, but I stuck with it simply because I had never actually seen anything like it (with the exception of similar movies of course - 300). I know people around here just keep saying this over and over, but damn they are right. This show gets better with every episode - until the mind-blowing finale. It's really sad that Whitfield had to leave the show (or I think he did), but I sincerely hopes he gets better. Seriously, anyone who watches it and feels like not continuing on - stick with it. It's amazing.

After that, got me some Arrested Development. Thought I'd take a little break from action for a while. While it wasn't the best thing ever, it did have some amazing writing - very subtle; I liked that. All the incestuous themes in the series got me smiling a bit though - it was creepy. Sword of Destiny is probably my favourite episode - and that's just because I love GOB.

I also recently just caught up to season 6 of Supernatural. Surprised, actually, on how little it's discussed anywhere. It's got concise and smart writing. I didn't feel that the show fell apart anywhere (although season 5 was cutting it really close). Overall though, it's a great show and the characters are well developed and the actors continue to do a phenomenal job. I love it how the writers and actors manage mix light tones with the overall darker tones in the story. I'm gonna start season 6 next week.

besiktas1

Moobabe said:

Don't watch Seinfeld :)

Flare

Salazar said:
I teared up a bit when Dean told Sam
he'd been awake in Hell
. Jensen Ackles ripped the balls off that scene.

Co-signed.

Also, this show's the first in a long time I feel attached to the characters on a personal level. The previous one was LOST. I was actually depressed when it ended. :lol

Ashhong

Moobabe said:

Entourage by a fucking mile. Show is gold. Also, Parks and Recreation season 2 is amazing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Entourage is a pretty fun show, even though it's kinda dumb. I was bummed out when
Turtle dies from cancer[s/poiler], but it's still a very entertaining and addictive show.

Ashhong

Entourage has the best humor imo, but I don't think it's for everyone. Not everyone wants to watch a couple of guys hooking up with hot women, driving nice cars, and partying all the time.

Oh wait...

Moobabe said:

The Good Wife is great, but not a comedy.

<<<<if you watch it, you'll watch it mostly for her.

If you want a comedy, Parks and Recreation is most definitely it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Catalix said:
Heh, I see. That's good to hear, actually :) I was starting to get a bit discouraged, there was practically no love for my girl Kara fucking Thrace up in there. But I did see a lot of "whiney bitch" "useless bitch" "die a horrible death" type posts. :lol

i only watched the first season, but she's easily my favorite character on the show.

SumPog

Neo Member
I recently have bought

The Big Bang Theory - Season 2
Seinfeld - Season 1 & 2 (should've bought this shit ages ago)
Hustle - Season 2
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Season 2

tabsina

Just finished Sopranos.. loved the show..

my favourite element of the show which I felt appeared many times throughout the series is the in-your-face buildup towards events that don't actually go as expected, while at the same time something completely unrelated is subtly building up in the background and actually ends up happening .. i'm not sure if I explained that well, but oh well

I must say that I'm happy I saw the final scene a few months before I started the series (when a GAF thread popped up about it, i had no intention of watching the series then), because I had prepared myself for the abruptness of it. Reading the GAF thread from when that aired was hilarious though :lol

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Snuggler said:
Entourage is a pretty fun show, even though it's kinda dumb. I was bummed out when
Turtle dies from cancer
, but it's still a very entertaining and addictive show.
Fucking hell man, learn how to spoiler. You just completely ruined that for me.

Fritz

30 Rock - I have been watching that randomly on TV ever since, but now am getting thouroughly into it (got the first two seasons from fellow Gaffer and my Secret Santa nny). Love it very much. It's as feel-good as friends but much wittier and ballsier. There are a few jokes that feel a bit forced (e.g. the constant stage calls in the background) but then there is some stuff that's just hillarious and makes me lol literally (Jenna singing gets me every single time). It's a thin line I guess. They came up with some really great characters and some great dynamics between these. Lot's of it was probably only possible with that particular setting. And Baldwin's Jack Donaghy is the single best TV character ever created, although that is only my humble opinion.

y2dvd

I feel the same about Mad Men. It hasn't blown me away, but I'm entertained by it.

Just started The X-Files Season 1 Ep 1. Scully is a fox!

Ceres

Banned
Fritz said:
30 Rock - I have been watching that randomly on TV ever since, but now am getting thouroughly into it (got the first two seasons from fellow Gaffer and my Secret Santa nny). Love it very much. It's as feel-good as friends but much wittier and ballsier. There are a few jokes that feel a bit forced (e.g. the constant stage calls in the background) but then there is some stuff that's just hillarious and makes me lol literally (Jenna singing gets me every single time). It's a thin line I guess. They came up with some really great characters and some great dynamics between these. Lot's of it was probably only possible with that particular setting. And Baldwin's Jack Donaghy is the single best TV character ever created, although that is only my humble opinion.

300qwjc.jpg

TripOpt55 said:
Is there any place I can catch up on Chuck Season 4? I just finished Season 3 and was hoping to get caught up with the current season. I have the first episode on my DVR (I saw it repeating a week or so ago and recorded it) and Hulu and NBC's site seem to have 6 and onwards. I'm guessing there really isn't any place to check out the eps in between at the moment?
Nope, your observation is correct. They only keep 6 episodes up for streaming at one time.

Ceres

Banned
Cornballer said:
Nope, your observation is correct. They only keep 6 episodes up for streaming at one time.

And it wasn't even one of the shows available on Hulu Plus which was the entire reason I signed up for the trial.

TripOpt55

Cornballer said:
Crap. They don't even have them on iTunes or some place it seems. Kind of stinks.

Ceres said:
And it wasn't even one of the shows available on Hulu Plus which was the entire reason I signed up for the trial.
Yeah, I was about to sign up for that trial last night and was surprised that it wasn't in there.

X-Frame

I finished Season 1 of Dollhouse last week and started Season 2 this week. It started out weak but got better during the second half of S1 .. hoping S2 keeps the heat up. Epitaph One was also amazing (wish the whole show was based on that .. not what we got).

Once Dollhouse is done with I am going to start Firefly since I liked the Serenity movie and want to see how it all began. Any people who've seen it?

big ander

X-Frame said:
I finished Season 1 of Dollhouse last week and started Season 2 this week. It started out weak but got better during the second half of S1 .. hoping S2 keeps the heat up. Epitaph One was also amazing (wish the whole show was based on that .. not what we got).

Once Dollhouse is done with I am going to start Firefly since I liked the Serenity movie and want to see how it all began. Any people who've seen it?
Firefly is excellent.

X-Frame said:

Dollhouse started out so bad, it gets fairly amazing toward the end. If you like Epitaph One you will LOVE Season 2.

Boo to watching Serenity before Firefly, you are a crazy person. Firefly is aboslutely fantastic though so you're in for a treat all the same. The movie should also have more impact once you've seen the show.

ooo Firefly discussion, looks like I entered this thread at the right time.

Firefly has the best characters of anything I've ever seen on TV, if only there was another season made, their development could have gone even further :( I have the Serenity Bluray still in its cellophane unopened, I watched the last episode of Firefly last night and I'm waiting for some free time to watch the movie.

Also a heads up, if you're one of those manly men who are comfortable showing a little emotion, you will probably tear up during the River / Simon central episodes.

Last episode was haunting; "So she melted... melted away. They didn't know she could do that, but she did".

X-Frame

randomlyrossy said:
Dollhouse started out so bad, it gets fairly amazing toward the end. If you like Epitaph One you will LOVE Season 2.

Boo to watching Serenity before Firefly, you are a crazy person. Firefly is aboslutely fantastic though so you're in for a treat all the same. The movie should also have more impact once you've seen the show.

I had NO idea what Firefly was when I got a chance to see Serenity. Just got it from Netflix .. watched it because I heard it was a good action movie with funny and likable characters and then I did some research and found out there was a TV show that takes place before it.

The first 3 minutes of the movie had me cracking up so I knew I was going to like it, and I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom