• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the first two episodes of Eastbound & Down a few hours ago. I liked the first episode, but the second was much funnier. I think I'm going to like the series.

Jay Sosa

I actually disliked Eastbound&Down the first few episodes because he was such an asshole. At the end it was on of my favorite TV shows ever.

StuBurns

Banned
Dilly said:
Watching firefly, such a fun show to watch. Too bad it's only 1 season and a movie.
Short and sweet, the film is so much better than the show, he might not have been compelled to make a film had the show taken off.

Watched the Californication stuff, first episode was great, second one less so. Fun to see it back though, can't wait for more.

Drewsky

Jay Sosa said:
Btw.: Saw the fly episode yesterday, I think that's one of my favorites episodes of any TV show ever.
Just when I thought you couldn't get any worse, then you come by and say this. And totally redeem yourself!!!

And to the guy above me talking about Mad Men, I didn't get the hype either, but once I got to S3 I was totally hooked. Keep going.

big ander

What I'm watching lately:

Five episodes into Mad Men Season 1. Loving it, and it looks like it'll only get better.
Halfway through Bored to Death Season 1. The only other HBO comedies I have watched are E&D and FOTC, which are both better. But this is still great.
Got The Wire boxset for Christmas. Can't wait to start it.

StuBurns said:
Short and sweet, the film is so much better than the show, he might not have been compelled to make a film had the show taken off.
I agree with this, but I definitely enjoyed the film more due to previous knowledge of the characters.

KevinCow

Banned
I just watched High School of the Dead. It was, uh... interesting. I never thought I'd say this about anything, but I think it would've been better without all the T&A. Not because I'm offended by anime titties like some people - out of context, it probably would've been nice - but it just felt completely out of place in a show that was otherwise about a group of kids trying to survive a zombie apocalypse.

It's like, you have the two guys in the group looking out the window, watching people get eaten by zombies, and trying to get over the fact that any attempt to save them would likely result in their deaths; then, in the immediate next scene, you have the four girls of the group bathing together, and they start giggling and playing with each other's boobs. What? Is this the same show? That's just the most extreme example, the whole show isn't that bad, but you still have girls bouncing all over the place any time they move and the camera pulling in low for a panty shot at any opportunity. It's just really unnecessary, and hard to take the show seriously with that going on.

Other than that, though, it was an interesting enough zombie show, and not too full of anime-isms. I think it actually did a lot of stuff better than The Walking Dead in a similar amount of time (12 half-hour episodes vs. 6 hour-long episodes). I hope there's a second season coming, though, because it just kinda ended without any real closure.

tirminyl

I just started and finished watching both seasons of Pushing Daisies. Such an awesome show. Too bad it was canceled.

I am also watching Supernatural, starting at season 1. I sorta jumped in and watched season 6, so I figured I would go back to the beginning. I really wish it was on Netflix streaming. Getting discs suck.

I am finally watching/re-watching Psych. I've seen the first two seasons before, but decided to re-watch them and I just finished season 3 last night.

y2dvd

Mad Men Season 1

I'm also about 5 episodes in. It doesn't quite grab me right away as some other shows, but I do enjoy it. I can see why this show started a fashion trend. Don got me wanting to dress all professional now lol.
Why is he always cheating on his wife when she's the hottest one? :(

Macmanus

y2dvd said:
Why is he always cheating on his wife when she's the hottest one? :(

The more time you spend with both of those characters, the more sense it will make.

I just finished the first and only season of Terriers. Fun detective noir story with a satisfying conclusion. The chemistery between the two main characters is pretty fantastic, and Donal Logue is really at home in his role. Shame it had to get Rubicanned.

TripOpt55

I am getting towards the end of S2 of Chuck which is very good. I have S3, but will probably be taking a break from the show for a bit. I have Damages S2, Firefly and Buffy S1 that I either got for Christmas or borrowed, so I'll probably do one of those before getting into S3.

Drewsky

Just finished up Mad Men S4. It was fantastic as always. I'm excited to be all caught up, but it's gonna be a long wait for S5.

besiktas1

You guys are probably bored of me asking for recommendations but this one is for my mum ^_^.

She likes whodunit and mystery type shows. She wants something like LOST or Fringe, both which she loved...

gdt

besiktas1 said:
You guys are probably bored of me asking for recommendations but this one is for my mum ^_^.

She likes whodunit and mystery type shows. She wants something like LOST or Fringe, both which she loved...

Hmm...maybe Dexter?

SumPog

Neo Member
How I Met Your Mother 1st & 2nd season
The Big Bang Theory 1st Season
Avatar The Last Airbender 1st Season
Band of Brothers 1st Season

In the past coupla days, I feel like a loser :\

RevoDS

I just caught up with 30 Rock. And I disagree with the popular opinion that season 4 was a step down. It's still good as ever.

besiktas1

StuBurns said:
What about the Prisoner? Somewhat cut from the same cloth.
By prisoner, you mean Prison Break right? yeah good idea :) DOn't know why I never thought of that before.

Any final ideas before I tell her to watch that?

big ander

Earlier today I finished Mad Men Season 1. I went into this show prepared to love it, but that hasn't happened yet. So much of it is cool and fun to watch, though. I love the characters, every single one. I love the costumes and the settings. I love the plots. But for some reason, it hasn't really connected with me yet. I'm betting that will happen somewhere in season 2, though.

Drewsky

big ander said:
Earlier today I finished Mad Men Season 1. I went into this show prepared to love it, but that hasn't happened yet. So much of it is cool and fun to watch, though. I love the characters, every single one. I love the costumes and the settings. I love the plots. But for some reason, it hasn't really connected with me yet. I'm betting that will happen somewhere in season 2, though.
I'm telling you man, get through S2 and you'll be hooked. Or at least I was.

I had the same reaction to S1 that you're having.

big ander

Drewsky said:
I'm telling you man, get through S2 and you'll be hooked. Or at least I was.

I had the same reaction to S1 that you're having.
Okay. I'm going to watch through season 3 whether I enjoy it or not, but I am glad that I should end up loving it.

Blader

big ander said:
Okay. I'm going to watch through season 3 whether I enjoy it or not, but I am glad that I should end up loving it.

I don't think anyone can get to the end of S3 of Mad Men and not love the show.

Been rewatching all of Jericho with my lady. Such a good show, so good they cancelled it twice! :lol Watch it if you haven't! Awesome drama and action.

CiSTM

Banned
big ander said:

Season two did it for me. Beginning was a lot like s1, it just didn't caught my interest but for some reason I just kept watching. Towards the end of the season I noticed that I really can't wait what is going to happen in next episode and I was completely hooked on the show, I don't know at what point it happened but it did. I probably should watch the first season again because it really was underwhelming and it didn't have my complete attention but maybe re-watch will fix my opinion of s1.

TripOpt55

besiktas1 said:

Not that it's like LOST or Fringe at all, but I think Veronica Mars would be good as a whodunit suggestion. Also, I've been watching Damages lately and it has a kind of mystery angle to it with the dual storyline thing or whatever. But again they aren't really like LOST or Fringe.

besiktas1

TripOpt55 said:
Not that it's like LOST or Fringe at all, but I think Veronica Mars would be good as a whodunit suggestion. Also, I've been watching Damages lately and it has a kind of mystery angle to it with the dual storyline thing or whatever. But again they aren't really like LOST or Fringe.

Is it one overarching story or one a week? lol, will probably check hmv (UK) tonight, so I should really decide what I should get her...

On a side note: back to Seinfeld... again. For some reason I'm still watching it even though I said I'm done with it. Still not finding it amazing/really funny but I admit it's not shit. I still don't see what the hubub is about though. (I'm near the end of Season 3)

Also finding some inconsistency with the bald guys employment. One minute he's dating someone from work, next he's unemployed. etc. I don't know still not as bad as my Fringe WTF?!!!!! 0_o
First episode of season 2 Charlie was back. Mind was blown/wtf, couldn't concentrate on that episode. Google explained to me after it was a unaired episode but for them 40 minutes I didn't get it :lol

Can't wait for s3 to finish so I can start watching it.

big ander

besiktas1 said:
Is it one overarching story or one a week? lol, will probably check hmv (UK) tonight, so I should really decide what I should get her...

On a side note: back to Seinfeld... again. For some reason I'm still watching it even though I said I'm done with it. Still not finding it amazing/really funny but I admit it's not shit. I still don't see what the hubub is about though. (I'm near the end of Season 3)

Also finding some inconsistency with the bald guys employment. One minute he's dating someone from work, next he's unemployed. etc. I don't know still not as bad as my Fringe WTF?!!!!! 0_o
First episode of season 2 Charlie was back. Mind was blown/wtf, couldn't concentrate on that episode. Google explained to me after it was a unaired episode but for them 40 minutes I didn't get it :lol

That wasn't the first episode of season 2 even. They aired it right in the middle of the season. Everyone was confused.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Jay Sosa said:
Wow I would've never guessed. I mean everyones is entitled to their opinion of course, but wow. That's like hating the sistine chapel.

Thanks for the link, nice read.
I liked this little touch:

1274744454559.png

1274743717575.jpg

RevoDS said:
I just caught up with 30 Rock. And I disagree with the popular opinion that season 4 was a step down. It's still good as ever.
Yeah, right? It did have a few more bad episodes than the other seasons, imo (too much focus on Liz Lemon's love life) but overall it was very strong, especially the last few episodes.

I should finally start watching The Wire. I got the box set quite a while ago but I never really felt like watching it.. no idea why. D:
Also, I've been rewatching parts of seasons 1 & 2 of How I Met Your Mother over the last few days. Still enjoy it a lot. Some of my favorites:
Slap Bet: Hilarious, for the gif-worthy scenes of slapping alone. Also, for the word "premature slapulation".
Swarley: Bob Swarleymon. Need I say more? :lol

Going to add more as I watch the episodes.

Decado

I think I'm going to drop Lost. Started to watch the first episode of S5...and just can't bring myself to care. I have better things to see.

TripOpt55

besiktas1 said:

Well in Veronica Mars each season has an overarching plot (well season 3 has several multiple episode ones), but it still has weekly plots as well. But the overarching mystery for season 1 is really great. Definitely worth checking out. There is a large focus on high school kids if that is a deal-breaker.

Damages is basically like one big episode. Not really weekly plots. But the show basically shows you clips of this one part in time and then kind of flashes back for the bulk of the show to 6 months prior so you can figure out how they got there. Kind of neat, but not sure if it fits what you are looking for.

Also, I was very confused at that Fringe episode. I mean I figured it was an unaired episode after a bit, but it still threw me off when I first saw him in the ep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom