• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

Grizzlyjin said:
A lot of OZ fans didn't like the direction the show took in its final seasons. There were some noticeably silly elements.

I just started watching Season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Blazed through the first 6 episodes, and I can safely admit I am completely addicted now.

Don't they always?

I mean I can hardly remember any long going show that wasn't under heavy criticism in it's last season(s). Even The Wire got a lot of shit for it's homeless murder angle.

Can't say that I've ever agreed with what most people said so I hope it's the same with OZ.

big ander

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Does Fire Walk With Me take place after season 2 or between seasons. I watch season 1 and have both season 2 and Fire Walk With Me to watch. How should i go about it.
It's a prequel that you're supposed to watch after season 2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ive been watching through Greek lately. I'm sure that makes me some sort of girl or something, but I really enjoy it. The sorority politics make me want to throw up, but the humor and the love stories keep me interested.

This past episode focusing on Beaver was comedy gold. Absolutely loved it.

"I'm the star of my own show!"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finishing Deadwood season 1 tonight. It's brutal and enthralling, I like it a lot. No real complaints except for Bullock being a kinda boring lead - he seems unnecessary to the story so far aside from being a doo-gooder in an evil place for the audience to relate to.

Calamity Jane is my favorite character.

Snuggler said:
Finishing Deadwood season 1 tonight. It's brutal and enthralling, I like it a lot. No real complaints except for Bullock being a kinda boring lead - he seems unnecessary to the story so far aside from being a doo-gooder in an evil place for the audience to relate to.

Calamity Jane is my favorite character.
I might be finishing up Season 1 tonight, too. I don't think Bullock is boring; he represents some sort of law and order in an otherwise lawless society. Maybe because I really enjoyed Justified and Olyphant plays a similar character, but you need someone to butt heads with Swearengen and he does a great job of it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Without Bullock, Deadwood would be a pretty tough show to get through. He provides the calming, normal, grounded presence that is needed to keep it all from becoming a freak show.

His relationship with Swearengen was awesome, too. It was fun watching him go from the calm do-gooder to the seething powder keg he became by the end...thanks in large part to Al.

Mifune said:
Without Bullock, Deadwood would be a pretty tough show to get through. He provides the calming, normal, grounded presence that is needed to keep it all from becoming a freak show.

His relationship with Swearengen was awesome, too. It was fun watching him go from the calm do-gooder to the seething powder keg he became by the end...thanks in large part to Al.

Actually (Deadwood Nerd Alert), I think he was a powder keg the entire series. The only thing that kept him in check was not being a Sheriff anymore, but that went out the window at the end of Episode 4. (See: My Favorite Final Shot In TV History. He is clearly a Powder Keg at that moment.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All good points.
I think most of the problem for me is that he hasn't got a whole lot of screen time yet, and because of that his character feels a little thin and underdeveloped, especially when she's sharing the screen with bold and multifaceted characters like Swearegen and Jane. I enjoy a conflicted, flawed protagonist (like a Draper or McNulty) and he isn't quite there yet. I imagine that I'll come around as the show goes on, his
"wife" and "kids"
showing up should make things interesting.

It's a one hell of a TV program, though, I can't wait to jump back in.

Mifune

Mehmber
BenjaminBirdie said:
Actually (Deadwood Nerd Alert), I think he was a powder keg the entire series. The only thing that kept him in check was not being a Sheriff anymore, but that went out the window at the end of Episode 4. (See: My Favorite Final Shot In TV History. He is clearly a Powder Keg at that moment.)

Ha, I'm sure you're right, since I've only watched the entire show once.

Just started a rewatch, and I look forward to seeing your FFS.

big ander

I had already seen season 1, but I recently finished Season 2 and the Special Series Finale of Extras.
I absolutely adore season 1 and season 2. But I felt like the Special Finale ruined the ending.
Throughout 1 and 2, he goes on this sort of journey and by the end of 2 he seems to have found a good balance between wanting for fame and wanting respect (with colleagues and friends). And then the finale has him doing the most self-absorbed and idiotic and outright mean things he's ever done in the show. It's just that the character progression, thanks to the elipsis of time for three years, doesn't make sense and seems to just serve making more of the same story. And that's just what you can tell at the beginning of the episode. It gets worse and more and more hurtful, only to have an ending that's so cheesy and makes nearly zero sense. Using reality television to make Andy realize he hates being a celebrity feels so cheap. Not to mention the jokes from that felt like they belonged on a MadTV sketch. The show had been smart for 12 episodes about how fame actually was cool, but you should still be a good person and enjoy basic things like friendship, etc. And then the finale goes and ruins a lot of it.

So I finished Season 1 of Deadwood, which was great. But then the first two episodes of Season 2, "A Lie Agreed Upon, Parts 1 and 2", just blew me away. Holy crap.

still working my way through West Wing.. about to finish Season 2

i cant help but think how much better this should could have been on a premium cable channel with 13 episodes per season instead of 22.

the ratio of good to boring episodes is high

AnkitT

Finished watching Life on Mars yesterday, and really loved how they ended it. Promptly started on Ashes to Ashes, and the first few episodes seem very tame and unfocused as compared to Life on Mars, but i'll watch anyways. That Gene Hunt is so dreamy!

Ashes To Ashes gets much better. End of season 1 is brilliant. And season 2 is very focused with a season long arc running through all the episodes. Same with season 3.

I've been re-watching The Larry Sanders Show recently. Halfway through season 2 now. I forgot how amazing Rip Torn is. There's so many little things I had forgotten about, too. Like the way Hank meets with Larry in his office, sending his assistant in first asking if he can see Larry, and then going in pretending Larry asked to see him, it's just genius in its insanity. Gets me every time. Also, Jeremy Piven pre-hair transplant looks about 20 years older than he does today even though he was only 26/27 at the time. Amazing.

Currently marathoning Modern Family, probably the only consistent show regarding lol's per episode.
And Haley is gorgeous.

I haven't been keeping up with GAF's opinion of it so I hope it's not one of those shows that everyone hates.

big ander

Mechanical Snowman said:
Currently marathoning Modern Family, probably the only consistent show regarding lol's per episode.
And Haley is gorgeous.

I haven't been keeping up with GAF's opinion of it so I hope it's not one of those shows that everyone hates.
It's gotten "best episode ever" praise every week since it began.
I think it's relatively consistent, but not as funny as other shows. Also, the saccharine endings got tiring.

Salazar

close to the edge said:
Is "Hustle" worth watching? Just stumbled over it randomly and read through the premise and the format, seems pretty cool.

Marc Warren is good in it.

I'd watch it if it came on tv again, but I wouldn't buy it.

master15

41ZZ6RRCN0L.jpg

Dom Joly is amazing.

brianjones said:
still working my way through West Wing.. about to finish Season 2

i cant help but think how much better this should could have been on a premium cable channel with 13 episodes per season instead of 22.

the ratio of good to boring episodes is high
wat

There aren't any boring episodes in season 2 of The West Wing.

Nert

Last week, I finally got around to watching the first season of Louie, and holy shit, that show is amazing. In addition to being hilarious, the show also takes a lot of risks and comes across as surprisingly poignant at times. Anybody that sees television comedy as being in a creative rut absolutely has to check this out.

The next show I'm going to try to get caught up on is Parks and Recreation. The general consensus that I'm perceiving is that the show becomes dramatically better after its first season. I hope that's the case, because I've so far only gotten through season one, and it was pretty bad.

Hey You

Just finished watching Series 1 & 2 of a TV show I found on Netflix called Survivors.

Couldn't find the 3rd series on Netflix so I did a quick google search and found that the show was canceled.

It left us with a cliffhanger and I'm disappointed there is no more episodes. I thought it was a great show.

Jay Sosa

Finished the second season of OZ, simply brilliant.

Started with Cowboy Bebop I think there is no need to praise it even more.

And. because FX UK is showing it, I'm rewatching the 7. season of Buffy and yeah, I still don't see why people are hating on it. Right now they're showing the episode when Willow comes back and nobody of her friends except Anja and Spike can see her, that some pretty awesome stuff.

Btw: FX is showing some pretty awesome stuff this month, like Sopranos, CYE, AD. I think it starts every night at 9.

And TNT Serie (a German Pay TV) is starting with Boardwalk Empire today, in case anyone missed the commercials.

I think most of GAF loves it, I think it's as overrated as Community. They're both good shows but nowhere near as funny as early Office, CYE or TPB. I stopped watching midway through the first season. Mainly because of that one annyoing little brat.

anaron

Jay Sosa said:
Finished the second season of OZ

And. because FX UK is showing it, I'm rewatching the 7. season of Buffy and yeah, I still don't see why people are hating on it. Right now they're showing the episode when Willow comes back and nobody of her friends except Anja and Spike can see her, that some pretty awesome stuff.

Season seven starts out...alright and then devolves into endless crap around episode 8 or 9.

y2dvd

Been watching Naruto...the first series...to finally see what the hype was about. Good lord, does every episode need a 10 minute recap of what happened in the previous episode, and then every 6 episodes, recap the last 5? Asides from that, I suppose it's pretty entertaining.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i spent the past week watching two seasons of DEXTER'S LABORATORY.

1676zht.jpg

it absolutely cements it as one of my favorite cartoons ever made. the amount of variety and playfulness in form and content each episode is just breathtaking, to be frank. the voice work is wholly its own and brilliant, sounding like nothing else and hammering its way into your mind. you'll walk around for days saying "omelette du fromage" and "this one's a lady!"

here are two clips for you to enjoy:

"food for me, food for me?"
dexter and computress get mandark

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Drewsky said:
About to start The Shield Season 1. What should I expect GAF?

The best tv show of all time. Each season is better than the last (with season one being the weakest) and by season five the show is simply untouchable in its intensity and emotion.

guise

Party Down S1

Reminds me of AD with its quick-witted relentless stream of jokes. Real shame its been canned but will definitely follow up with S2.

big ander

Just caught up with Southland. It's pretty good. I'm glad the budget was cut because now we see less of annoying characters (Tammy, Kimmy). The look at street cop life is great and a fresh enough take. The gang and homicide detectives are traditional, but done well.

Hard to decide what's next. Either Undeclared (just got the box set) or Friday Night Lights. I think I'm going to do FNL so I can be done only a week or two or three after the series ends, so I'll still have people to talk about it with.
Drewsky said:
About to start The Shield Season 1. What should I expect GAF?
One of my top shows. I don't know that it gets better every season (I liked season 1 more than 2 and 3 more than 4, for example) but the last 3 seasons are definitely the pinnacle of the show. Some of the best characters on TV, gritty, violent, sometimes funny, emotional, and the absolute perfect ending. You're in for a ride.
guise said:
Party Down S1

Reminds me of AD with its quick-witted relentless stream of jokes. Real shame its been canned but will definitely follow up with S2.
Another of my top shows. It only gets better. The season 2 finale is so perfect.

TripOpt55

I just started to watch The Wire for the first time. Only watched the first episode so not sure what to say at this point. Looking forward to getting into it more though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
brianjones said:

I was thinking the same thing about Friday Night Lights recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom