• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumPog

Neo Member
Metalocalypse_S2.jpg

Jay Sosa

Question for UK GAF: Is Black Books as awesome as Father Ted and the first 3 season of the IT crowd?

And what else is recommendable?

Already know Spaced, Extras, Office, Fools and Horses, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers and the one show that creeps me out where everything is filmed POV style. Oh and Coupling of course. Rather not have a laugh track but I'm not gonna avoid any brilliant shows because of it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Watched the first season of the Killing and it was awesome. Had to get used to the somewhat slow pace (20 episodes of one hour each spanning 20 days) but it was extremely worth it. It's getting an American remake, if they don't change the story I can't wait seeing people discuss it, especially the ending.

Also watched season 5 and 6 of Weeds. 5 started weak, so I stopped. Then I picked it up again out of curiousity. kinda picked up a little. 6 had it's moments but felt weak overall.

I'm gonna watch Sherlock soon, really curious about it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Started Third Rock From the Sun the other day.

Boy, John Lithgow can chew scenery with the best of em. WOW. Fantastic stuff, too. A great show.

KingGondo

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
I've only seen the first two episodes (out of three), but it is really awesome.

Cumberpatch is fantastic, as is Martin Freeman.

Sunflower said:

Boy, John Lithgow can chew scenery with the best of em. WOW. Fantastic stuff, too. A great show.

I went back to watch some of that lately, but ever since Joseph Gordon-Levitt got a bit famous the whole thing seems different... I guess John Lithgow in Dexter did not help either.

I am usually happy to see actors jump about in different roles, and it does not bother me, but for whatever reason, it seems weird in this one

Nert

I'm back to report on Parks and Recreation (which is up on Netflix instant streaming). The internet was right; the show really turned things around in season two! Just about every character was given extra dimensions and quirks (Leslie and Andy both became much more interesting), the writing became much sharper, and the setting became better utilized (many funny sequences with angry townspeople began to pop up). The only negative thing that comes to mind about season two was that they couldn't get Louie CK to stay on board a little while longer.

If you were like me and quickly dropped the series after watching an episode or two from its first season, try watching either "Ron and Tammy" or "Greg Pikitis." These episodes aren't too dependent on overarching stories and, more importantly, are incredibly funny.

I'm going to get to work on Deadwood next.

UrbanRats

Going through Deadwood.
I'm 3 episodes from finishing Season 2.
Amazing show, even though sometimes it's hard to follow the fast complicated dialogues, not being English my native language.
Infact, i keep the (english) subtitles on and still miss a few things here and there, but i'm getting better at it.
Anyway, the actors are so good i can't believe it..

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I just started watching Party Down on netflix, about 2 episodes in so far and it is alright. Not bad but not great either, few laughs here and there.

big ander

Nert said:
I'm back to report on Parks and Recreation (which is up on Netflix instant streaming). The internet was right; the show really turned things around in season two! Just about every character was given extra dimensions and quirks (Leslie and Andy both became much more interesting), the writing became much sharper, and the setting became better utilized (many funny sequences with angry townspeople began to pop up). The only negative thing that comes to mind about season two was that they couldn't get Louie CK to stay on board a little while longer.

If you were like me and quickly dropped the series after watching an episode or two from its first season, try watching either "Ron and Tammy" or "Greg Pikitis." These episodes aren't too dependent on overarching stories and, more importantly, are incredibly funny.

I'm going to get to work on Deadwood next.
Season 3 so far maintains tbs quality of season 2. Enjoy.
Not a Jellyfish said:
I just started watching Party Down on netflix, about 2 episodes in so far and it is alright. Not bad but not great either, few laughs here and there.
o_O really? I mean keep going through it, because I was just rewatching season 1 yesterday and it was still so packed with jokes and killer line deliveries that I had to pause and go back, but damn. It's one of the best comedies of the past decade, and I hope you come to love it.

I'm excited about this week with The Chicago Code starting tonight, the FNL series finale on Wednesday, and Justified S2 kicking off on Wednesday. Should be fun.

me and wife marathoned the last 4 episodes of doctor who season 5 and the christmas special over the weekend. So good. Matt Smith is most superior. its kind of a shame that tennenat left and matt stepped in and the show did not win best drama. I though the 5th season is the best of the 2000 series.

LM4sure

Banned
big ander said:
Season 3 so far maintains tbs quality of season 2. Enjoy.

I missed last week's but the week prior I thought was pretty terrible. It was the episode where Leslie had the flu. I felt it was really dumb humor. Didn't enjoy it at all. But the week before was good, so I don't know what to make of this show!

Rei_Toei said:
Watched the first season of the Killing and it was awesome. Had to get used to the somewhat slow pace (20 episodes of one hour each spanning 20 days) but it was extremely worth it. It's getting an American remake, if they don't change the story I can't wait seeing people discuss it, especially the ending.

Also watched season 5 and 6 of Weeds. 5 started weak, so I stopped. Then I picked it up again out of curiousity. kinda picked up a little. 6 had it's moments but felt weak overall.

DO IT

Sherlock is fantastic in everything but length. 4.5 hours is not enough of how amazing this show is. Fall cant come soon enough.

Decado

The Terra Nova trailer piqued my interest. Could be awesome if FOX allows a decent level of violence now that we know network TV14 is a whole hell of a lot more lenient than PG-13.

Fuck me. New shows for this year actually have a chance to match last year's awesomeness.

big ander

Cornballer said:
I'm excited about this week with The Chicago Code starting tonight, the FNL series finale on Wednesday, and Justified S2 kicking off on Wednesday. Should be fun.
I'm starting FNL this week >_< Hopefully people will still talk about it.
TCC night. Excited.
LM4sure said:
I missed last week's but the week prior I thought was pretty terrible. It was the episode where Leslie had the flu. I felt it was really dumb humor. Didn't enjoy it at all. But the week before was good, so I don't know what to make of this show!
Well, most people agreed that was a great episode and I'm pretty sure you were the one who said it was one of the first episodes of the show you saw so I don't really think your opinion can be trusted ^_^
As for "dumb humor" I don't know what you mean. It was certainly silly, but there's a difference between silly and dumb. Having Leslie high on meds is silly, but the lines were clever, character specific, and the plot had an interesting an unexpected outcome. That's not dumb.

LM4sure

Banned
big ander said:
Well, most people agreed that was a great episode and I'm pretty sure you were the one who said it was one of the first episodes of the show you saw so I don't really think your opinion can be trusted ^_^
As for "dumb humor" I don't know what you mean. It was certainly silly, but there's a difference between silly and dumb. Having Leslie high on meds is silly, but the lines were clever, character specific, and the plot had an interesting an unexpected outcome. That's not dumb.

No, that wasn't me. I watched most of the first season just because of the time slot, but didn't bother with the second season. I guess this will be one of those shows that I catch if I'm around, but I won't dvr it. It's a lot like The Office: the episodes are hit or miss.

Finished marathoning Babylon 5 up to the end of Season 4 (with deconstruction of fallen stars). Wow is all I can say. So many favorite moments:
Earthforce cruisers going up against Babylon 5 after they seceded
in Season 3 (first episode that I basically said HOLY SHIT out loud), events surrounding Babylon 4, Londo being a magnificent bastard, Sheridan
nuking Z'ha'dum
, everything about the Vorlons and Shadows, etc. And Lyta is so much better than Talia.

There were a few things I didn't like though. I wasn't a huge fan of the Earth plot and thought it dragged a bit once the
Shadow war
was concluded (and I did wish they didn't end it that soon). Marcus was also a love/hate character.

Now the question is should I continue with Season 5 and/or bother with any of the movies?

Krowley

br0ken_shad0w said:
Now the question is should I continue with Season 5 and/or bother with any of the movies?

Not sure about the movies, but season 5 is definitely worth seeing. There is a bit of a step down in quality, but it isn't enough to ruin the show or anything. Just think of it as an epilogue and it works very well.

Also, I was just about to post that I've been marathoning through DS9 and I'm about halfway through season 5. So far it's living up to the hype.

I love watching a Star Trek series with a real in-depth ongoing storyline. I also think it has better character building than other Star Trek shows. Right now, I would probably rank it above the other Star Treks, although it's so different from the others that it appeals in a totally different way.

Actually, it will probably go down as one of my all-time favorite shows if this keeps up. I could see myself watching it multiple times. Every season just keeps getting better.
When Worf showed up, it kicked into a different gear

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keyser Soze said:
I went back to watch some of that lately, but ever since Joseph Gordon-Levitt got a bit famous the whole thing seems different... I guess John Lithgow in Dexter did not help either.

I am usually happy to see actors jump about in different roles, and it does not bother me, but for whatever reason, it seems weird in this one

Tell me about it. I can't watch Cliffhanger with a straight face anymore.

big ander

LM4sure said:
No, that wasn't me. I watched most of the first season just because of the time slot, but didn't bother with the second season. I guess this will be one of those shows that I catch if I'm around, but I won't dvr it. It's a lot like The Office: the episodes are hit or miss.
That's certainly true for season 1, which sucked overall. But season 2 and 3 have been hit about 95% of the time.

Hakkuei

Hey, did anyone watch Outcasts last night, the new BBC sci-fi show with Jamie Bamber ? I just heard about it, is it any good ?

Salazar

Snuggler said:
a few into Deadwood season 2

the
kidney stone
wtf, that was hard to watch

The
fight between Dority and that other dude towards the end of the show was probably the hardest bit for me.

br0ken_shad0w said:
The first half of season 5 isn't that great, and it's a step down in quality, but the last half of it has the same quality as seasons 3 and 4. Definitely worth watching. The best B5 movie is "A Call to Arms."
Krowley said:
Also, I was just about to post that I've been marathoning through DS9 and I'm about halfway through season 5. So far it's living up to the hype.

I love watching a Star Trek series with a real in-depth ongoing storyline. I also think it has better character building than other Star Trek shows. Right now, I would probably rank it above the other Star Treks, although it's so different from the others that it appeals in a totally different way.

Actually, it will probably go down as one of my all-time favorite shows if this keeps up. I could see myself watching it multiple times. Every season just keeps getting better.
When Worf showed up, it kicked into a different gear
I've just finished my fifth or sixth rewatch of DS9, and you're right with each season getting better. However, I usually have a hard time choosing which is better: season six or season seven. They both have their good parts to them.

Coincidentally, just starting my DS9 re-watch, too. Only a few episodes into S1 right now. I'm also simultaneously going through B5 S3. It's an interesting juxtaposition.

LM4sure said:

No, it isn't. It's been consistent in quality since the second season and your description of the flu episode as "really dumb humor" verges on the ridiculous.

Hakkuei said:
Hey, did anyone watch Outcasts last night, the new BBC sci-fi show with Jamie Bambers ? I just heard about it, is it any good ?

Have it stuck on Sky+ ready to watch later. Heard good things too.

Hakkuei said:
Hey, did anyone watch Outcasts last night, the new BBC sci-fi show with Jamie Bambers ? I just heard about it, is it any good ?

Just watched Episode 1 on the iPlayer. It's a good scifi with the emphasis on human drama. It's hard to compare it exactly, but I got a British Battlestar Galactica meets Earth Two vibe from it, if that makes sense.

The casting seems pretty good. Definitely one of the strongest BBC attempts at sci-fi I've seen.

Guzim

Sunflower said:

Yeah, it's so easy to see why he won three Emmys for that show.

Hakkuei said:
I thought it was a great opening episode - reminded me a little bit of Aliens, although I didn't like the ending too much but it shows the writers are maybe being more risky than usual compared to other British shows and i'm hoping they can maintain that consistency throughout the season.

Al-ibn Kermit

Anybody else going to watch the season 2 premiere of Top Shot? It's my guilty pleasure.

For those that don't know, it's a show on the History channel (for whatever reason) that shows a bunch of professional shooters compete with a bunch of different guns and ranged weapons and the winner gets like $100,000. It's basically like Survivor but with more guns and less drama.

big ander

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Anybody else going to watch the season 2 premiere of Top Shot? It's my guilty pleasure.

For those that don't know, it's a show on the History channel (for whatever reason) that shows a bunch of professional shooters compete with a bunch of different guns and ranged weapons and the winner gets like $100,000. It's basically like Survivor but with more guns and less drama.
I watched a lot of the first season and there was something about the way the game was set up that pissed me off. I forget what exactly. But I remember thinking it sucked the skill out of it.

Al-ibn Kermit

The way it worked was that there were two teams, red and blue, and every event was a team event. If your team lost, everybody would make a vote for who to eliminate (usually the weakest performer) and then the two people who got the most votes would go into the elimination round and one of them would get eliminated.

It went like that until the last two episodes when each team was down to like 5 people and then everybody was out for themselves.

Drewsky

I just finished up the 10th episode of S1 of The Shield. Really liking it so far, it's actually way better than I expected. This episode was by far my favorite so far, the Dutch storyline with the serial killer was just awesome to watch.

So excited I've found a new show that I can dig in to.

Watching season 2 of Fringe right now. Season 1 ended on a great note, so i was disappointed to see it return using a rightfully maligned plot device.
Olivia and her "temporary memory loss" *eyeroll* - The delayed crash through the windscreen was a very cool way to open the season though
. Thankfully, that didn't last too long. The cases of the week have been kind of middling so far, but the continued glimpses into the bigger picture and Walter's continued awesomeness have made it worthwhile.

Drewsky said:
I just finished up the 10th episode of S1 of The Shield. Really liking it so far, it's actually way better than I expected. This episode was by far my favorite so far, the Dutch storyline with the serial killer was just awesome to watch.

So excited I've found a new show that I can dig in to.
Season 1 is but a taste of things to come. No show comes close in building multi-season story arcs and paying them off in a satisfying fashion.

Hakkuei

Solid_Rain said:
I thought it was a great opening episode - reminded me a little bit of Aliens, although I didn't like the ending too much but it shows the writers are maybe being more risky than usual compared to other British shows and i'm hoping they can maintain that consistency throughout the season.
Android18a said:
Just watched Episode 1 on the iPlayer. It's a good scifi with the emphasis on human drama. It's hard to compare it exactly, but I got a British Battlestar Galactica meets Earth Two vibe from it, if that makes sense.
The casting seems pretty good. Definitely one of the strongest BBC attempts at sci-fi I've seen.
Okay thanks ! Sounds cool, I'm gonna give it a try.

JaCy

Just finished season 2 of Eureka and I'm enjoying it a lot, I <3 Carter and Fargo. My only complaint is all the drama over
the artifact,
so far none of it was compelling imo.

Jay Sosa

Gave Community SE 1 another chance and like it much more than after 5 episodes, there are still some episodes/scenes that are pretty boring/cheesy (the entire episode when Troy helps Abed find the rat was on some Seventh Heaven shit) but also quite a few good lines and some great ones. I'm actually surprised that Chevy Chase is the funniest of them all. And I do see why so many fans are obsessed with Alison Brie, she is beyond cute. Will definately keep watching.

Also watching the Shield SE1, excellent series, only downside is that they only show the police work, unlike the Wire.

AnkitT

Finished with Ashes to Ashes a week ago. A very tidy ending to the whole mythology, i'd say. I still enjoyed Sam Tyler more as the protagonist, but Drake was good enough as well, keeping in mind the eye candy!

Started with Modern Family, and am now at the beginning of season two. Overall it is not that awesome, but some of the jokes/situations are pretty awesome, and had me laughing hard.

Also done with Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, Newswipe, and You Have Been Watching. Cant get enough of the guy, and he has a new series out called How TV Ruined Your Life, which I will be starting on soon.

Also next on the list is 15 storeys high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom