• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kraftwerk said:
I have never watched any of those long space-opera tv shows = BSG etc. I would like to try one. I want something with good writing, dialogue, religion, AI's, time travel. Don't care much about action. Something smart.

So far my searches have pointed me towards Babylon 5, what do you guys think?

Babylon 5, BSG (2003), or Deep Space 9 would probably be your best bets.

The Int3rsect said:
Going to start watching S1 of Justified. I've been great things about it.
Be patient with it at first. It starts with a few standalone episodes that are well crafted, but seem a little unfocused initially. It all comes together in the back end of the season when they hit the main narrative arc, and S2 has been fantastic so far.

finished watching Band of Brothers the other day one of the best war based show ever made.

btw is the pacific some how related to this ?

Eye Drop said:
Watched the pilot of Bored To Death.

Ugh.

Will this get better, or would I be wasting my time with the rest of disc one?

watch it if you don't have anything better to watch.

i personally was turned off by it after 2 episodes but then i gave it another try for zach while rest of the tv shows had off seasons it was actually quite decent.

Drewsky

MentallyCritical said:
finished watching Band of Brothers the other day one of the best war based show ever made.

btw is the pacific some how related to this ?
Produced by Hanks and Spielberg too. It's very similar, BoB is better though I think.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just started watching Battlestar Galacticca, about half way through the first season so far. For those who have watched it does it keep up the same level of quality throughout its run? And what is with the .0 and .5 seasons?

big ander

BeeDog said:
Started watching Mad Men season 4 the other day, and have only watched 6 episodes so far. Even then, season 4 is so much better than the, to me, disappointing and boring season 3. The many humorous elements elevate the show, I think. Let's hope it keeps up the quality for the remainder of the season.
Season 3 was the complete opposite of boring in my eyes. I thought season 1 and 2 fit that description much better, because those seasons were world-building to me. Then season 3 actually has shit go down and has an amazing finale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
poppabk said:
Just started watching Battlestar Galacticca, about half way through the first season so far. For those who have watched it does it keep up the same level of quality throughout its run? And what is with the .0 and .5 seasons?

Sort of. A lot of people did not like season 4 or the back half of season 3. I can't say I agree (I haven't finished the show, I'm like 5 episodes away, don't spoil shit jesus).

There is an episode called "Scar" in Season 2, though, that is just so obviously the worst episode of the whole series.

bud

i'm still watching nip/tuck, which i'm enjoying very much. i'm in season 2 right now and damn,
sean is so cold whenever he's taking to julia
. great stuff. the last episode was a bit on the weak side, though (the one with
getting her face fixed after her accident
); i felt the
alternate universe
bit dragged on way too long.

i have such a crush on kimber.

poppabk said:
Here's my feelings on the show. Don't highlight any of the spoiler tags, but my season ranking is at the bottom. 2 > 1 > 3 > 4.

Jay Sosa

Thanks again GAF for making me give The Office SE7 another shot, still don't like the first 10 episodes that much but ever since Holly came back it's like a completely different show. The christmas episodes might be one of the funniest (xmas episodes) I've ever seen.

BeeDog

big ander said:
Season 3 was the complete opposite of boring in my eyes. I thought season 1 and 2 fit that description much better, because those seasons were world-building to me. Then season 3 actually has shit go down and has an amazing finale.

Maybe I need to rewatch season 3, but honestly, that's the way I recall it. My memories tell me the season was just so... uneventful.

In any case, I only have three episodes left of season 4, and holy shit it has been great so far. As everyone seems to be saying, "The Suitcase" was a fantastic episode; the combination of great character drama and some excellent humor was a joy to watch. When Duck prepared to drop a doody in Don's room, I almost choked out of laughter.

big ander

BeeDog said:
Maybe I need to rewatch season 3, but honestly, that's the way I recall it. My memories tell me the season was just so... uneventful.

In any case, I only have three episodes left of season 4, and holy shit it has been great so far. As everyone seems to be saying, "The Suitcase" was a fantastic episode; the combination of great character drama and some excellent humor was a joy to watch. When Duck prepared to drop a doody in Don's room, I almost choked out of laughter.
I'm like 3 months removed, but off the top of my head season 3 had
SCDP forming, the Sal and lucky strike fiasco, the Hilton stuff, Betty's dad dying, and the beginnings of a Betty/Don divorce.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BSG Season 4, circa episode 16: When Laura Roslin's cancer
comes back a second time, why the hell can't they just inject more Cylon blood? I'm guessing that the first time around it's some sort of magic embryonic concoction that's apparently impossible to get out of any of the live Cylons? Okay, great, so why don't they take embryonic blood out of Caprica-Six's pregnancy when that came up later?

Croc

Banned
I just recently watched both seasons of Party Down. A hilarious show that's definitely worth checking out.

There are a ton of random actors just thrown in there that I recognize from all over the place.

AnkitT

Got Blu-Rays of the three seasons of Deadwood. Completed watching the first season and really enjoyed it. Ian Macshane is the backbone of it all! On the 4th episode of season 2 and loving where its going so far. The image quality is so fuckin good and the sound is amazing as well.

Also started with The Norm Show. The first episode was great, looking forward to more of it.

Stumpokapow said:
BSG Season 4, circa episode 16: When Laura Roslin's cancer
comes back a second time, why the hell can't they just inject more Cylon blood? I'm guessing that the first time around it's some sort of magic embryonic concoction that's apparently impossible to get out of any of the live Cylons? Okay, great, so why don't they take embryonic blood out of Caprica-Six's pregnancy when that came up later?
The show doesn't make a lot of sense toward the end.

VGChampion said:
Started watching Scrubs through Netflix. Always thought it was some medical drama show but hey, it isn't. And I actually enjoy it.

Scrubs is one of my favourite comedies ever, it's absolutely hilarious. It walks a pretty fine line with its drama aspects but for the most part I think it works really well.

Word of advice, do not watch Season 9. Just stop at the Season 8 finale, it's perfect.

A ton of the cast left, including Zach Braff, and they brought in some new people. It's not the same at all and doesn't have quite the same heart. It sullies the Season 8 finale quite a bit as a result.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
randomlyrossy said:
Scrubs is one of my favourite comedies ever, it's absolutely hilarious. It walks a pretty fine line with its drama aspects but for the most part I think it works really well.

Word of advice, do not watch Season 9. Just stop at the Season 8 finale, it's perfect.

A ton of the cast left, including Zach Braff, and they brought in some new people. It's not the same at all and doesn't have quite the same heart. It sullies the Season 8 finale quite a bit as a result.
One of the only times I'll ever agree with the whole "stop watching showX beyond this point" logic.

Empty

started watching undeclared and i'm dissapointed. i went in hearing it recommended highly as a followup for fans of freaks and geeks from the same creators and am finding little in there to match what i loved about that show. there are glimpses, i appreciate some of the awkwardness of the lead trying to change himself from a dork to cool guy as he moves into college and find his character endearing, which puts it above the leads in later apatow stuff i've seen, but the show is way too centered around irritating and forced "kooky" characters, very typical sitcom joke setups and doesn't do much interesting with its setting. so far it lacks the depth and resonance that came out of how grounded and thoroughly well constructed each character in freaks and geeks was for me, which gave that show so much heart, and nor does it seem to have ambitions to match the refreshingly bleak and honest portrayal of school in that show, where it took well trodden and what would seem cliched storylines, and sparked new life into them through just plain well thought out, mature storytelling. my thoughts on this show seem to have dovetailed into reviewing f&gs which basically sums up my problem with undeclared, it's operating within the shadow of something i truly adore and can't stack up, even if it's not necessarily bad at all and has some solid sitcom writing and some entertaining characters (and i sure love jason segel!), it's just ordinary.

big ander

Catalix said:
One of the only times I'll ever agree with the whole "stop watching showX beyond this point" logic.
And I would still disagree. Season 9 (I'd prefer to call it Season 1 of Scrubs Med School, and Lawrence did and still does too) was the worst of the show, but a lot of it was still good.
My problems with it:
-way too much focus on the original cast. After the season 8 finale, all you really want is a new group of people to watch. Instead, huge chunks of the first several episodes are devoted to characters that we already had closure with. It's just awkward and pointless, and was an unfortunate result of network meddling.
-The security guards, who try to fill the role of the janitor but just end up doing lame slapstick that was forgettable and unfunny.

But what made season 9/Med season 1 good:
The new cast. Hell yes, they're great. Each character is fresh. Lucy is filled with anxiety, but is never really too vulnerable. She takes charge plenty. Cole gets a ton of development and becomes not only the funniest character in the season, but also one of the most sympathetic. Drew has a lot of the traits of a young Cox, but is less abrasive and is actually more neurotic at times. He's hilarious and his relationship with Denise (who was also funny in the season) was well done and sweet.

In the end I'd say it's more than worth a watch. The first half of the season will feel wrong. But in the second half, hopefully you'll realize (like I did) that if it had just been a new show, it would have been inviting.
Empty said:
started watching undeclared and i'm dissapointed. i went in hearing it recommended highly as a followup for fans of freaks and geeks from the same creators and am finding little in there to match what i loved about that show. there are glimpses, i appreciate some of the awkwardness of the lead trying to change himself from a dork to cool guy as he moves into college and find his character endearing, which puts it above the leads in later apatow stuff i've seen, but the show is way too centered around irritating and forced "kooky" characters, very typical sitcom joke setups and doesn't do much interesting with its setting. so far it lacks the depth and resonance that came out of how grounded and thoroughly well constructed each character in freaks and geeks was for me, which gave that show so much heart, and nor does it seem to have ambitions to match the refreshingly bleak and honest portrayal of school in that show, where it took well trodden and what would seem cliched storylines, and sparked new life into them through just plain well thought out, mature storytelling. my thoughts on this show seem to have dovetailed into reviewing f&gs which basically sums up my problem with undeclared, it's operating within the shadow of something i truly adore and can't stack up, even if it's not necessarily bad at all and has some solid sitcom writing and some entertaining characters (and i sure love jason segel!), it's just ordinary.
I'm only about 6 episodes in, but I think I'd mostly agree. Freaks was a masterpiece of TV. This is less serious and the characterization isn't anywhere close to as well-done. But I'm still finding it fairly funny, and already loving a lot of the cast helps.

TripOpt55

I think Season 9 of Scrubs is pretty good. Probably best to think of it as Season 1 of Scrubs Med School like big ander said. I love Denise and some of the characters are quite good especially Drew. Personally it hasn't really sullied the Season 8 finish much for me at all. I still love that as much as ever. Heck I still think of the S8 finale as my favorite series finale ever because like I said I kind of think of Season 9 as a new show.

Niblet

Powered through Firefly and Serenity this past week. I f'ing love the space cowboy feel that show can have sometimes. I can see why people were so bummed that it had such a short life. I'm very happy that they got the ability to make Serenity to bring closure to the series. Still. I grew to care for each character on that ship.

I guess I should finally watch Dollhouse s2. Seems the right thing to do.

Also next on the todo: Dexter

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Niblet said:
Powered through Firefly and Serenity this past week. I f'ing love the space cowboy feel that show can have sometimes. I can see why people were so bummed that it had such a short life. I'm very happy that they got the ability to make Serenity to bring closure to the series. Still. I grew to care for each character on that ship.

I guess I should finally watch Dollhouse s2. Seems the right thing to do.

Also next on the todo: Dexter
I watched both these shows recently. Dollhouse s2 is much better than s1, so if you had any interest in it through s1 I would recommend carrying on. It has a twist ending that you is a little too far out of left field, but they knew it was ending so they had to wrap it up quickly.

-Stranger-

Just finished S3 of Breaking Bad, been marthoning it from S1-3 lately.
Fantastic show, wish season 4 was out not used to waiting to watch it :p

AnkitT

Almost at the end of Deadwood Season 2. Really fuckin enjoying this, cant wait to get to season 3.

Also, on season 2 of The Norm Show. Just hilarious, Norm has a great comic timing, and the humour is resonating well with me.

bud

i'm two episodes into the wire. even though i'm enjoying it, it hasn't exactly blown me away yet. maybe my expectations were set too high because i was expecting/hoping it'd top sopranos. i'll keep watching, but i'm seriously hoping there's more to it. i mean, it hasn't really grabbed me so far.

Darkman M

bud said:
i'm two episodes into the wire. even though i'm enjoying it, it hasn't exactly blown me away yet. maybe my expectations were set too high because i was expecting/hoping it'd top sopranos. i'll keep watching, but i'm seriously hoping there's more to it. i mean, it hasn't really grabbed me so far.

two episodes bro.......

Blader

bud said:

2 episodes out of 60.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
bud said:
Not an uncommon reaction. Just keep going, I've no doubt it'll "click" eventually. :)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I watched South Park's season 13, the parts that I missed, and all of season 14. I'm currently watching Parks And Recreations season three.

bud

i know it's just two episodes, people. i've already said i'll keep watching! i just didn't think it'd take atleast a bunch of episodes to click with me. shrug.

edit: it's good to know it's a slow burner. i feel a sense of relief. for a second there, i thought something was wrong with me.

Drewsky

I don't know how you could have ever set foot in the OT of this site and not known that The Wire is a slow burn.

You're gonna love it.

J2d

Started watching Nip Tuck but gave it up after four episodes, does it get better in later seasons and do they show more skin?

Darkgran

I just finished the first season of Fringe.

I'm glad I stuck with it because it turned into all kinds of awesomeness after about the 10th episode. Some of the revelations were fantastic-even though I was kind of spoiled by one of them.

I can’t wait to start the second season.

bud

J2d said:
Started watching Nip Tuck but gave it up after four episodes, does it get better in later seasons and do they show more skin?
no skin, unfortunately. it should've been on hbo dammit. and if you don't like it now, then i don't think you ever will. it does get crazier, though.

bud said:
i know it's just two episodes, people. i've already said i'll keep watching! i just didn't think it'd take atleast a bunch of episodes to click with me. shrug.

edit: it's good to know it's a slow burner. i feel a sense of relief. for a second there, i thought something was wrong with me.
Report back after a few more episodes. Hopefully you'll get it. (not as in understand the plot, but get why it's called the best tv show)

I can't recall when in the arc it was, but somewhere in the first season there was a "holy shit" moment for me, when I realized I was watching something truly great and incredible storytelling.

Drewsky

roosters93 said:
Report back after a few more episodes. Hopefully you'll get it. (not as in understand the plot, but get why it's called the best tv show)

I can't recall when in the arc it was, but somewhere in the first season there was a "holy shit" moment for me, when I realized I was watching something truly great and incredible storytelling.
Yeah, I'd say it was about the middle of the first season that I knew it was a great show. It took me until S3 to say greatest show.

Catalix

Drewsky said:
Yeah, I'd say it was about the middle of the first season that I knew it was a great show. It took me until S3 to say greatest show.
Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom